S2 - Elia Aboumrad: So Long and Thanks for All the Tuna Juice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1277 replies to this topic

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

She's as dull as she is delusional.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 7:09 AM

Fancast Interviews Elia Aboumrad On Her "Disappointing Elimination"

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

Fancast Interviews Elia Aboumrad On Her "Disappointing Elimination"

I can't believe that she says that being on the show has never benefitted her professionally. If nothing else, she's gotten a ton of free press this week where she mentioned her upcoming restaurant opening.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 1:04 PM

Was returning to that environment the Stew Room, the house totally bizarre? Or did you enjoy it?

I have to say that I had fun. I came with a totally different attitude. I packed my snacks so I would never be hungry or moody. And I came with an attitude of not to get angry and not to take it personally. Minus the long hours, I knew what I was getting into and I prepared myself for that.

What world does she live in? She was there for two days and was moody, angry and took everything personally.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

I liked her very much during her season - except at the end, between the head-shaving incident and her awkward accusations against Marcel - and was happy to see her make All-Stars, so count me as one of what seems to be a minority - sorry to see her go so early, especially since there are a couple of cheftestants who neither appeal to me personally nor seem to be of the same caliber in the kitchen,

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 5:59 AM

Elia's shaving her hair off was her most memorable bizarre incident but not the only one. I remember her getting pissed about not winning a challenge and muttering to herself while shopping for a team challenge that she was going to check out. Back at the living quarters where the cooking for the challenge was taking place Elia was melting chocolate. She then begins smearing the melted chocolate all over her face and body while cackling. I thought she was a headcase then and nothing I've seen and heard this season has changed my mind.

TV Guide Interviews Elia Aboumrad: There Was A Lot Of Fighting You Didn't See

Edited by ByTheWay, Dec 5, 2010 @ 6:00 AM.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 10:56 AM

Ugh, she is such a sore loser. She was in her first season, too. The way she pissily tried to explain what a mole sauce was to Eric Ripert to justify smothering a piece of chicken in chocolate sauce and now she's claiming they gave her a palm frond instead of a ti leaf, but, again, she's an idiot. I'm not a botanist so there may be some variation of palm that has a frond that looks like a ti leaf, but from what I saw on the show and a quick google search of ti leaf v. palm frond says...that was a ti leaf.

She just can't accept her own actual mistakes. She'll claim, vaguely, that she makes them but when she's confronted with the actual ones she has a 101 excuses for why it wasn't her mistake, just a fault in the other person. And the superiority she assumes when criticizing people with far more experience than her is nauseating. Now it's "sad" that Bourdain never ate pasta on parchment.

I liked her initially in her season but I think she's sinking lower than even Ilan in my opinion because at least he's had the decency to finally accept that he was kind of an asshole on his season. She still thinks she's aces.

Edited by vallegirl, Dec 5, 2010 @ 11:00 AM.

lizg

lizg

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

During the Thanksgiving episode where she melted chocolates and then had a meltdown of her own, I was impressed that she later asked Tom C why he chose the top dishes because she disagreed about the taste. Even though she had a meltdown, she did seem to accept the agree to disagree and then went on to win the challenge itself. As the competition continued, she seemed to become more resentful of any criticism or any one that disagreed with her opinion.

I don't give her a pass for her participation in the head-shaving incident because she didn't then and doesn't now comprehend that it wasn't a prank, it was an assault fueled by mob mentality. Any feelings she has about Marcel aside doesn't justify her participation or her attitude. For that alone I would have preferred that TC producers bring back Cliff for this season over Sam and Elia because he did the one thing none of them seem to be able to do, take responsibility and own his actions. She should take a lesson from Marcel because he doesn't appear to hold a grudge.

Her attitude this episode and her post-show interviews indicate to me that she's a chef who would have a restaurant that gets a bunch of bad reviews for food and then blame the reviewers for their lack of taste rather than fixing the food. She'd look out at an empty restaurant and complain that people don't appreciate her rather than accept that she's not the be all end all authority on what tastes good.

I do agree with her that it's tough to improve on a good dish and for some of them that were eliminated at finals it was often the because it was a good dish but not the best dish. So she didn't get the same exact leaves she still had five hours to figure out how to cook fish inside of them. She also mentioned adding bacon (I think) to the wrapping which also would require an adjustment in cooking time. Even if her attitude during judging was unchanged taking personal swipes at a judge and blaming the leaf shows no respect for fellow professionals and no respect for the ingredients and certainly isn't staying true to the profession.

It is disappointing to be the first chef to go but I don't think in this season it's humiliating. There are some there who maybe on where they placed in the season who are questionable cheftestants but the rules haven't changed in terms of best dish stays and worst dish goes home. Cook better than them and they will go home first and cook better than all of them and you win. Where she took it to the humiliation level is in her attitude about and during the judging process and her attitude post-show. YMMV.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

The thing that stands out to me in the tv guide interview is her assertion that the rules didn't allow for change in ingredients or techniques and so it was unfair that others didn't get penalized for doing so.

Call me crazy, but if everyone else did it and didn't get penalized, maybe you didn't fully understand the rules.

Leftcoast

Leftcoast

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

I love that Dale says "It tastes like she gave up" that is a great description.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2010 @ 12:12 AM

Anthony Bourdain responds to Elia's whining...

The only worse way to go out, as I see it, would be the Elia Option: Leave rude. Whine later. Blame your elimination in the press on a conspiracy theory involving Tom Colicchio's possibly mind-addling use of Diet Coke. Suggest that the judges were not fit to evaluate a specimen as magnificent as you. Mention your prior experience with Robuchon as evidence of your perpetual infallibility.

I have spent some time with Monsieur Robuchon. Not as much as many of my friends, but have a pretty good idea what he would have said about that fish.

I suspect it would have been a LOT less diplomatic than what was said at Judges' Table.

And whether you believe -- as I do -- that Tom Colicchio is one of the most important, pioneering chefs in American gastronomy -- and a fair and incisive judge ... or whether you think he's a high-fructose swilling, gas-guzzling enemy of locavores, Satan worshipper, tormentor of small animals, possible JFK conspirator and television whore -- as Elia seems to believe -- you know what?

He STILL knows what a raw piece of fish is.

And that fish was not medium rare. It was was not even rare in the center. It was ----ing raw on one side. Period.

RescueMom

RescueMom

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

When you've behaved so badly you actually get a published video smackdown from Eric Ripert, you may want to take a good, long hard look in the mirror: http://www.bravotv.c...essage-for-elia

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

I would enjoy it quite a lot if the S2 bully brigade had a (real) top chef pop up to cut them down every now and then, not gonna lie. Just randomly. You know, have Thomas Keller pop up to ask why they were all such total douches. Rick Bayless, with his Ned Flanders face, could unleash a stream of invectives. It'd be fun.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk here about how after simply making a fool of herself in the press, now being on the reunion show has probably destroyed her career forever. She'll be lucky to get work as a fry cook in a diner now (and let her try and get grass-fed beef THERE...)

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

Watching the S2 marathon now, and it reminds me that Elia never should have been anywhere near the All Stars season, in the position to be eliminated first and then accusing Collichio of all the worst kinds of culinary and nutritional sins. Had Mia not fallen on her sword in the team catering challenge in season 2, Elia would have been eliminated, which is what she deserved because she was such a poor, tone-deaf leader with bad ideas about how to cater a 200-person event. I don't doubt she is a talented cook, but she is not a leader and she's probably a bit nuts. I also think she's kind of dumb.

Edited by lovinbob, Nov 1, 2011 @ 12:19 PM.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Watching the S2 marathon now, and it reminds me that Elia never should have been anywhere near the All Stars season

I'm watching too, and I had really forgotten how much she fought with the judges in her original season. No wonder she was fighting with Colicchio so much in All-Stars - she was questioning his palate back then too.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Watching the S2 marathon now, and it reminds me that Elia never should have been anywhere near the All Stars season, in the position to be eliminated first and then accusing Collichio of all the worst kinds of culinary and nutritional sins. Had Mia not fallen on her sword in the team catering challenge in season 2, Elia would have been eliminated, which is what she deserved because she was such a poor, tone-deaf leader with bad ideas about how to cater a 200-person event.

She absolutely deserved it, but even if Mia hadn't bowed out so that Elia could continue, Elia might have still made it to All-Stars assuming TPTB wanted at least two people from each season and assuming they want to balance out men and women as much as possible. That would leave only Betty or Mia instead of Elia.

Betty didn't get along so well with Marcel and, last I heard, Mia literally was MIA.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

Elia's new restaurant has a pretty nice review in the new issue of Los Angeles magazine. Apparently it specializes in charcuterie - not just dry-cured meats and sausages, but terrines and pates too. I found it a bit amusing that the review briefly mentioned how charcuterie and TV cooking competition shows (no specifics) are almost incompatible due to the usual time limits imposed, but otherwise made no mention of her turns on Top Chef.