S2 - Marcel Vigneron: White Shrimp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3705 replies to this topic

jockewing

jockewing

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:33 PM

This guy has a beautiful head of hair and it attractive, although he seems a bit arrogant.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:40 PM

This guy has a wretched head of hair and is fugly, and he seems a bit arrogant.

jockewing

jockewing

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

I admit, the styling of the hair looks like Wolverine, but that is a healthy head of hair.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:51 PM

The Heat Miser was nicer than Marcel was in this episode. Oh well, he's not there to make friends. He told us so himself.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:52 PM

I maintain my statement of weeks ago that he is TOP WEREWOLF.

safranal moeity

safranal moeity

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:29 AM

Marcel, you have disappointed me greatly by not bringing the Stephen-quirkiness. Please wow me with some molecular gastronomy voodoo or else deflate your bulbous bouffant and leave.

Edited by safranal moeity, Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:46 AM.

nowrite2000

nowrite2000

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 2:49 AM

I know I'm supposed to be annoyed at his arrogance and camera awareness, but I just can't get past the frustrating pop culture rubik's cube that is his hairstyle. When I focus on the sideburns, I see Wolverine as y'all have mentioned. But then at times it looks more dome-like, reminiscent of the grey bun in Coppola's Dracula. And then sometimes in closeup I see waves and large curls in the sub-structure which sort of look like an arch-Austin Scarlett. Then again if I squint my eyes I am transported to the Dave Matthews Band "Crash" video, with the odd Victorian dancers with bobbing hair structures, or maybe I am in an SNL skit with the British Fops...

I give up.

Edited by nowrite2000, Oct 19, 2006 @ 2:51 AM.

sabal

sabal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 4:04 AM

Sometimes I see Vegeta..

snowbunny54

snowbunny54

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 5:53 AM

I laughed when he was showing off his knives to the other guy in the very beginning. Then I laughed more when he said something like next we compare c***s!

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 8:57 AM

Yep, I definitely see Wolverine or Teen Wolf in Marcel. And he does have Heat Miser hair. But I was racking my brain trying to think who he reminded me of. And it finally hit me. He's this guy -- the one who played Eddie on "Grounded for Life." What? Yeah, I watched it. Well, someone had to.

Geo Gal

Geo Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:11 AM

Heh. My pal Val and I call this guy 'Stevie Neutron, Kitchen Boy Non-Genius.'

What a overly coiffured tool.

Edited by Geo Gal, Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:12 AM.

hendersonrocks

hendersonrocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

This is who I keep seeing in my mind when I try to picture Marcel.

nowrite2000

nowrite2000

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:25 AM

He's this guy -- the one who played Eddie on "Grounded for Life."

Uncanny!

This is who I keep seeing in my mind when I try to picture Marcel.

How could I miss that?

Sometimes I see Vegeta..

Dear God, I forgot about Dragon Ball. You're right.

This dude's hair is some magic reflecting pool.

Edited by nowrite2000, Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:28 AM.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 2:57 PM

He also kind of looks like Adon from Street Fighter Alpha. Sort of. Well, if I had to draw an anime style picture of him, that's the inspiration I would draw upon.

Which I'm kinda considering doing, because I'm waiting for feedback from my editor on some comic pages, and I am kinda bored in the meantime. I need to draw a TOP SOMMELIER VS. TOP WEREWOLF IN THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF OF WHO WILL WIN?!?!?! picture or something.

iluvblahniks

iluvblahniks

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

See, I get a Wilykat (of ThunderCats fame) vibe from the hair.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 4:00 PM

Here is a sketch. I dunno when I'll have the time to color this, or what methodology I'll be using, but WTF. This guy's hair. Is different. In. Every. Single. Frame.

I didn't have a lot of good reference pictures, so I just did it while watching the show.

safranal moeity

safranal moeity

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 6:03 PM

Here is a sketch.

Awesome belligerent! (BTW, my boyfriend is crazy into comics; would we be able to find yours if we tried? He's always on the lookout for hard to find indie stuff. . .)

Which I'm kinda considering doing, because I'm waiting for feedback from my editor on some comic pages, and I am kinda bored in the meantime. I need to draw a TOP SOMMELIER VS. TOP WEREWOLF IN THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF OF WHO WILL WIN?!?!?! picture or something.

Pssshh, girl please. You can't tell me you don't know that Stephen could cut Marcel in half with that anime-hair; it'd be no contest ;)

Edited by safranal moeity, Oct 19, 2006 @ 6:12 PM.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

Well, my book isn't out yet...it's still in progress and it's been a long time in making, but it'll be fairly easy to find, eventually. I've been in a couple anthologies, otherwise, but one's a british publication that was self-published (not by me since I'm American) and is hard to find now, and the other has, uhh, embarassing art. I can let you know when the one book is out, though! (or what the title is or what those anthologies are, if you really want to know)

Here are the inks for this thing, though I kinda like the original sketch a little better since it looks more like him. I tried a quick marker coloring job on a printout of this, but the ink kept smearing. Damn. I'll probably use photoshop later to color it or whatever.

I need to do more random Top Chef fanart, I think.

You can't tell me you don't know that Stephen could cut Marcel in half with that anime-hair; it'd be no contest ;)

Well, no, but it would be a fun picture to draw what with the beatdown and all.

Edited by belligerent, Oct 19, 2006 @ 9:30 PM.

jolly_roger

jolly_roger

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 5:06 AM

While the hair is undoubtedly annoying, it's Marcel's "Tony Wonder" W-shaped soul patch that really gets my goat(ee).

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

While the hair is undoubtedly annoying, it's Marcel's "Tony Wonder" W-shaped soul patch that really gets my goat(ee).

You know, I'm with you on that. The hair is ridiculous, but the soul patch just takes it over the top. He's one of those guys who looks doughy even though they're skinny, like he's never done a second's worth of any type of manual labor in his life, but he keeps the soul patch to try to look cool and tough. It ain't workin'.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 11:57 AM

I personally think he grew it to impress Tom Colicchio. "LOOK, we are brothers of the soulpatch!" Except Colicchio is physically unable to be impressed by anything or anyone other than himself, so Marcel went to all that trouble for nothing.

TVFreak

TVFreak

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 6:30 PM

I can't help it -- despite his douchebag behavior, I think he is totally hot. I know...I know...

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 6:51 PM

I don't think he's unattractive, necessarily. He's just not the phenomenal stud that Stephen is. Angryface exclamation point.

Edited by belligerent, Oct 22, 2006 @ 6:51 PM.

link417

link417

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 9:54 PM

Don't feel bad, TVFreak, I also happen to think he's hot. Which means that I've caught almost all 3,000 of the re-airings since the premiere :sheepish face:

Can't wait for the marathon of all of season 1 on Wedsnesday, though, since I missed out on the first season (except for some episodes that reran during PR3). I finally get to see Marcel's apparent predecessor in action for myself!

DCCrackMonkee

DCCrackMonkee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 11:22 AM

Marcel is officially "Fauxverine" in my household. I think he's moderately cute, but he's gonna have to impress me with some cooking post-haste, or I feel he will begin to grate intensely.

miss tuliplee

miss tuliplee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 5:39 PM

Sadly, I sort of wuv him, because I have high hopes for his culinary forward-thinkingness.
BUT
I also wonder what his strengths can bring to the table ha ha. I mean, he's the Joel Robuchon guy, right? He chops carrots for the dude who perhaps personifies classic French cooking. Have you made his mashed potatoes? Seriously, man -- that's what my grandpa died of. So what's Marcel going to do in a kitchen without liquid nitrogen, a sous-vide, agar-agar sheets and a blowtorch? If he can't rock his My First Chef's Chemistry set, what's left? Cook a damn porkchop, Eddie Munster, and we'll talk.
AND
I know in my soul that this cuisine is not the future of food. It makes me sort of suspect that if he wasn't in food but in fashion, he'd be, like, the guy wearing a lace kimono and three-sleeved sweater on the subway for his internship at Conde Nast. If it's new, it must be good. If it's absurd, it must be better. If it's insane, I must be better than you. No offense to anyone who's from a small town in the midwest, but dude is probably from a small town in the midwest. He just seems kind of ... susceptible to the Big City's dubious innovations.
OR
He's just a dick. Still, I'm praying he'll hang on.

hungerheadache

hungerheadache

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

I've been getting definite Ace Ventura vibes from the hair but not from Marcel himself. Definitely a dick, but I hate him less than Stephen.

sabal

sabal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 3:13 AM

Stephen's food was fly. Marcel's hair is flying..

BocaChic

BocaChic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 7:35 AM

Why is it that I have only seen one episode so far and I am already sick of this guy? Good editing? He's basically the obligatory stooge that Bravo must insert into each reality show.

Donny Ketchum

Donny Ketchum

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 9:47 AM

Not the just stooge. The resident villain of the season is more like it. I think it's going to fit him to a "T."