S2 - Ted Ilan Hall: Needs More SAFFRON!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1420 replies to this topic

OPP

OPP

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 2:20 AM

The LA Times restaurant reviewer gave Ilan's place a really good, two star review, despite the lack of money put into the design of the place. In comparison, this same reviewer tore Fabio a new one and gave him zero stars. And, Harold from Season One was only awarded one star by the NY Times.

Ilan's place sounds like a place I'd love- where the emphasis is on flavorful food instead of the decor and the other accompaniments of fine dining. And, the 'prices are on the low side' so I wouldn't have to eat Ramen for a week afterwards to pay for my meal.

The reviewer writes:

It's weird and fun and a little rough around the edges, but definitely from the heart...But everything has real flavor...
And if Hall ever went head to head with renegade French chef Ludo Lefebvre, he probably wouldn't score many points for polish or technique, but he just might win for overall satisfaction. His food isn't pretty, but it certainly has flavor.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 5:05 PM

The LA Times restaurant reviewer gave Ilan's place a really good, two star review, despite the lack of money put into the design of the place. In comparison, this same reviewer tore Fabio a new one and gave him zero stars. And, Harold from Season One was only awarded one star by the NY Times.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything Irene Virbila writes (review is here), she's come under fire for reviewing - and giving very high marks to - restaurants that were owned/operated by personal friends. The handful of industry folks I know in LA have lost some respect for her because she's known for "over awarding" stars to places that don't really deserve them. Now, that's not to say she's off base about Fabio's place, because I know people who have been there and had less than stellar dining experiences.

As for Harold getting "only" one star from the NY Times as opposed to Ilan's two is a misleading comparison. Ilan opened in August of 2009 and this review was written in late January 2010, Harold opened Perilla in late May 2007 and Frank Bruni reviewed it in July 2007. If Harold's review had been 6 months after he opened, he might have worked out the few kinks he had in his menu and could very well have gotten 2 stars as well.

Edited by screamapiller, Jun 25, 2010 @ 5:06 PM.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

God, Ilan is a dirtbag!

Ilan Hall, the charismatic chef who won the second season of Top Chef, will soon be cooking for one more. Ilan's girlfriend, Ayame Kawaguchi, is pregnant with the couple's first child. "Time to start a college fund for my baby on the way!" Ilan tweeted this week. And Ilan tells Life & Style exclusively, ""I hope I don't mistake him for a suckling pig!"

Poor kid...

Sidonie

Sidonie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

I can't stop looking at the word "charismatic" in the above quote. And wonder what that word is doing in the Ilan thread.

Edited by Sidonie, Jun 29, 2010 @ 10:00 AM.

chrysanthemum

chrysanthemum

Fanatic

• Interests:Bad television. Awesomely bad television. Old school hip-hop. Soda. Sneakers. My dog. My friends. Words. Crossword Puzzles. The beach. Nerds. Revolutionaries. Activists. Swiss cheese. Cherries. Jamba Juice. Fragments.

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 5:01 PM

The marathon is on. And years later, YEARS, I still love Marcel and CANNOT BELIEVE the villainy that was this cast toward him. Ilan, most of all. It still bothers me that he won. Still. Still upsetting. What a douche. God bless his future child, poor kid.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 3:38 AM

I think "charismatic" might be his publicist's spin on "unlikable douchebag who is possibly a serial killer."

Edited by lovinbob, Jul 7, 2010 @ 3:38 AM.

Pythonite

Pythonite

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 4:08 AM

"I hope I don't mistake him for a suckling pig!"

Hopefully the baby looks more like the mother.

Pythonite

Pythonite

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2011 @ 5:55 AM

Help Ilan achieve his dream.

Ilan Hall, Dancing Queen

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 11:25 PM

Help Ilan achieve his dream.

Ilan Hall, Dancing Queen

I'm afraid a "no" would have to go here.

I see one thing about him doesn't seem to have changed at all ... and that's that if he wants something, he honestly believes that's the only criteria for him having that thing.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I was looking through the up-dated "where are they now" pictures and noticed Ilan's filthy dirty hands and nails, Gross!!!

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

The prep table in that picture looks pretty grimy too.