S2 - Ted Ilan Hall: Needs More SAFFRON!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1420 replies to this topic

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 8:00 AM

An article from Newsday about Great Neck native Ilan Hall.

Great Neck to Great Chef?

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 9:16 AM

It looks hilarious when Ilan is sitting in that pot with just his head sticking up in his section of the commercial. Mainly because the pot doesn't look large enough to hide the body of a full-grown man, yet it does. Either that or Ilan has a giant head.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

Ilan looks like he could be Ted Allen's little brother.

hendersonrocks

hendersonrocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:11 PM

Hmmm...maybe that's why I have an irrational and unfounded love for him at this early stage in the game.

Regardless, way to win the challenge when you've never even cooked escargot before. That's pretty badass. (And it makes Marcel feel bad about himself, which I'm all in favor of.)

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 11:54 PM

Ilan even sort of sounds like "Allen." Perhaps he secretly is Ted Allen's little brother. I'm sad that he wasn't inside the giant pot, however.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:12 AM

We've dubbed him Not!Ted in my house.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:37 AM

Hmmm...maybe that's why I have an irrational and unfounded love for him at this early stage in the game.

Oo! That could be the perfect explanation for my love as well. He's just so adorable.

(And it makes Marcel feel bad about himself, which I'm all in favor of.)

Heck yes.

What You Own

What You Own

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

Hi guys. I just wanted to pop in and call dibs on Ilan as my Chef Boyfriend for the year. Y'all can have your Harold, etc, but Mr Ilan is mine. Hands off, bitches. :)

spazzy

spazzy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2006 @ 7:25 PM

Has anyone else checked out his Myspace page?
And yes, I am ashamed that I have a Myspace, but at least I get to look up their profiles and their pictures.
I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link. So I won't.

BUT. If you want it, Just send me an email and ill send it to you. Or else its pretty simple to figure it out =)

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

I'm not liking this guy already. Yeah, he has a nerdish prettiness, but that can't overcome the way lead the charge to jump all over Marcel the moment he had the chance. He was the most insistent and vehement in trashing the guy for overdoing the garlic in his dish. The fact that all of the judges seemed baffled by this, made this action seem more personal than professional. Kudos to Elia for not joining in on this witchhunt.

Also, his incessant lip licking at making the top four was ... odd.

OPP

OPP

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 1:50 AM

I was surprised he won the first challenge. Just from his age and cluelessness in the beginning, I thought he was going to be one of the cannon fodder that the show uses when they select contestants not necessairly on skill but because they fill a certain role- the newbie graduate from cooking school, the stay at home mom, etc..

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 5:02 PM

but that can't overcome the way lead the charge to jump all over Marcel the moment he had the chance. He was the most insistent and vehement in trashing the guy for overdoing the garlic in his dish. The fact that all of the judges seemed baffled by this, made this action seem more personal than professional.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised - Marcel and Ilan attended the CIA at the same time. They were both on campus together for about 2 years... for all we know, there might be some bad blood between them.

I don't love him, but I don't hate him either.

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

Yes I know I'm late here and not adding anything anyone hasn't already mentioned but I did think Ilan looked like Ted Allen's younger brother. I noticed that the first time I saw a promo for the new season. I hope Ted comes back to guest judge this season and they put him and Ilan side by side. We viewers can't be the only ones to have noticed the resemblance.

spazzy

spazzy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 12:00 AM

During the previews for the season, there was a quick shot of who looked like Ted Allen.

And he was addressing Ilan.

Edited by spazzy, Oct 25, 2006 @ 12:02 AM.

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 11:52 PM

At first I wasn't sure if his comment about Marisa distancing herself from Otto in case things got hot was based on his dislike for her or his like for him. But when I saw him throw up his hands after Otto's resignation was accepted and his oh so dramatic solo clapping (which actually worked) for Otto's going away speech, I guess he actually did like him.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 1:21 AM

I'm wondering if we might be getting the stealth villain edit for him. They'll feed us "He's young and hunky and looks like Ted Allen, so he can't poooooossibly be evil" for a few weeks, and then WHAMMO!

Since we're learning now that he actually started the "show me yours and I'll show you mine" bit with the knives and then talked to the camera like it was just Marcel being weird, I wonder what else he's been doing that we haven't seen. He WAS included in that "who da top villain?!?!" poll...

spazzy

spazzy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 3:17 AM

Where did we learn that he initiated that conversation?

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 8:33 AM

Apparently that's how it went in the bonus videos on the Bravo site.

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 9:00 AM

Unless it was edited, I loved how Ilan blurted out that their pork was better without even being asked to comment.

spazzy

spazzy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 12:45 PM

I think he did blurt it out without being asked cause that look on Tom's face was priceless. It was sort of like "What a cocky bitch".

MarleysGhost

MarleysGhost

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 1:06 PM

I'm getting a smarmy entitlement vibe from Ilan even more so than from Marcel. Hoarding the vanilla beans last week? Why?

Ilan may in fact be this season's Stephen, but without the endearing insecurity and cluelessness. We'll see.

link417

link417

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

I think that was really bitchy of him to say what he did about the other team's food. What kind of purpose did it serve if the winner had already been decided? And how dumb do you have to be to criticize the judges' decision right to their faces?

Haha, I actually enjoyed TC's bitchy face for once, a perfect mixture of surprise and incredulity.

Agnes Gooch

Agnes Gooch

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

Actually, in watching the episode a second time last night, I'm not so sure it was a "blurt out." I thought I somehow discerned an audio drop in there that would indicate an editing cut and that he might have been blabbering in response to a question from the judges. Can't say for sure, but it seemed possible.

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 5:36 PM

It's very possible since the cut to Tom's stank face is probably from a library of his stank faces.

chefashley

chefashley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2006 @ 11:48 PM

I can't help but love Ilan. His outburst was a little uncalled for, but you have to stand behind your food and be opionated as a chef. Otherwise, people really will step all over you. And who knows, the judges could have asked for his opinion, and it was cut. I don't see him as the villain, exactly, but I don't see him flying under the radar, either.

link417

link417

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

I'm getting the closet bitch vibe from Ilan. Has anyone seen the ep. 3 preview on the bravo site? I guess Marcel asks him to taste his dish, because you see Ilan spoon a bit into his mouth and Marcel says thanks. As Ilan walks behind Marcel to get back to his own dish he makes a disgusted face, but when Marcel asks how it is Ilan just says, "Nice." Then in confessional he says that it was "just gross," so he wasn't worried that both he and Marcel were using bacon.

(Spoilered because I know the site's barely navigable and some people just like the surprise anyway)

safranal moeity

safranal moeity

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 8:05 PM

I'm getting the closet bitch vibe from Ilan. Has anyone seen the ep. 3 preview on the bravo site?

Yep, and the scene that you're describing turned me off to him as well. I'm getting a stealth-douche vibe from him at the moment just like you link417.

Edited by safranal moeity, Oct 29, 2006 @ 8:08 PM.

chefashley

chefashley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 11:39 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting. I don't care how adorable a person is, that's uncalled for.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't found a reason to dislike Marcel like I thought I would. I actually like him (thus far). Ilan to, but maybe not after this week.

chefashley

chefashley

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2006 @ 11:08 AM

Okay, the whole thing wasn't so bad. He could have been more honest with poor Marcel, because I really feel sorry for him. Had Ilan been honest with him, Marcel could have (possibly) fixed his ice cream.

This isn't the only time Ilan goes after Marcel, because as we see in the Ted Allen episode, Ilan slammed Marcel's dish. Then he says "taking valuable players out is beneficial to me."

We can kind of see how long people are going to last based on these previews, because TVGuide has a list of all the guest judges and which episode they're going to be on.

Therefore, Ilan and Marcel make it that far, at least.

tracksuit11

tracksuit11

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

I hate Ilan and his stupid faux-hawk. Hate how he keeps picking on Marcel. The guy's a total douchebag.