S2 - Michael Midgley: Floundering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

Superant

Superant

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

I think if this was a competition to find a grill chef or short order cook - and there weren't gimmicks like the vending machine challenge - Mike would actually do pretty well.

I've always said I had high hopes (no pun intended) for him - I felt he was the dark horse who would come out from nowhere to end up in the final four. It wasn't his fault his teammates shouted him down and forced him to follow a list instead of just giving him leeway to buy wine or something.

Sorry for the sarcasm about stoners. I can do laid-back, but not "mellow." It's a personal pet peeve is all.

DreaFrank

DreaFrank

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

Did anybody notice how articulate Mike suddenly became at the judges table in the finale? He never sounded that together through the rest of the show!

coco medina

coco medina

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 6:04 AM

He never sounded that together through the rest of the show!

Or he spoke normally enough throughout the competition, but they chose to air his surfer speak whenever possible. They definitely wanted him to fit that California slacker archetype, but let's face it, he gave them enough material to make that edit job completely possible.

Edited by coco medina, Feb 4, 2007 @ 6:04 AM.

highlander

highlander

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 7:17 AM

Did anybody notice how articulate Mike suddenly became at the judges table in the finale? He never sounded that together through the rest of the show!

Not only that, but he was the most passionate he's been at that JT. Funny, he wasn't as passionate when it came to his own ass on the line several times but when it came to Marcel versus Ilan, he sure knew what he wanted to say to make sure Marcel was eliminated. Now, maybe he meant it, but why wasn't he like that about himself or other contestants at all the other JT's?

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

Woo! In a list of Iron Chef America match-ups he'd love to see, Anthony Bourdain says:

“Mikey” from Top Chef vs. Sandra Lee

T'would be awesome!

celebrate

celebrate

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 8:36 PM

Not only articulate, but also rather venomous. And his kitchen snippet, "You tell me where the f**king fish is dude, it's your $100,00 on the line". I can't even fathom him responding to Sam or Ilan with that 'tude or tone. Marcel drew you guys a freakin' picture of each dish with the ingredients and put you guys in charge of the 'frig items. Too much to handle I suppose for such great chefs. Sorry thing that the judges bought right into both of your BS and sorry that Marcel trusted you guys to help him. He may have better off with Mia and Frank over you "Marcel's got to go" addicts.

Edited by celebrate, Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:20 AM.

Smilesport

Smilesport

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Sam's got a pic of Mike up on his myspace page that is hilarious
http://a277.ac-image...93a73f09c34.jpg

Allison Lynn

Allison Lynn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2007 @ 1:04 AM

Mike was at the Stockton (Calif.) Asparagus Festival today. He's supposed to be appearing there tomorrow, but he and his wife were at a booth today. I met him and even took a picture with him; he seemed bemused by my fangirl ways, but I didn't expect to see him there, or anywhere else. He mentioned that season 3 just finished filming in Miami.

integrity

integrity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2007 @ 8:31 AM

Mike Midgley has his own catering company now. Blogging Top Chef did a write up about it mid-April: http://bloggingtopch...-cartering.html

integrity

integrity

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 7:48 AM

Mike was a judge this past week at an Iron Chef cooking competition at McNair High School in Lodi, California (his hometown): http://www.lodinews....chef_070518.txt

Matt Schantz

Matt Schantz

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 10:31 PM

Mike sitting on a panel of judges for anything is kinda awesome.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 6:55 AM

I can only hope someone fed him a figurative penis. Jerk. Still.

Spicy Tuna Roll

Spicy Tuna Roll

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 11:16 AM

Interesting article about Mikey's school

http://www.sfweekly....ws/burnt-chefs/

And even harsher comments here

http://www.yelp.com/...0VLMc60VKhK3AaQ

Elkay

Elkay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 24, 2007 @ 4:02 PM

I'm throwing this in Mikey's thread because I'm too lazy to go back to the original episode where he made the snickerdoodle.
I just read Heat by Bill Buford -- a wonderful book, btw. It's about Buford's obsession with cooking and his decision to work his way up the line at Mario Batoli's restaurant. In the book, he tells stories from Batoli's life. One of the most striking to me, thanks to Top Chef, was how Batoli cooked something for a bunch of drunk, hungry friends using Starbursts and some sort of soda (Fanta, maybe? Something lemon based) because it was midnight and there wasn't much in a friend's fridge. Apparently the dish was divine and it inspired someone else, who had been a Silicon Valley computer geek, to go to cooking school. Now that guy is a noted chef.
So for all the bitching by the S2 chefs, especially by Mikey, hey, if Batoli can make something amazing with, essentially, vending machine food, why can't you?

Karlovicious

Karlovicious

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

So for all the bitching by the S2 chefs, especially by Mikey, hey, if Batoli can make something amazing with, essentially, vending machine food, why can't you?

Cause he's fat and he's stupid?

z-26

z-26

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:48 PM

I thought the Cheetos penis was his finest moment. I don't think I've ever laughed harder during an episode of Top Chef.

tripon

tripon

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

“Up until the last minute,” he said yesterday, “I didn’t know if I was going to pussy out.” He didn’t, apparently—if anything his vitriol was more voluminous than on his post—he lanced the boil and the pus just kept coming. Apparently Mikey from Top Chef was in the audience—Bourdain singled him out as an example of hope for the future of food television.

Bourdain praises Mikey

chefashley

chefashley

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2008 @ 12:01 AM

I was reading Grub Streets Top Chef Where Are They Now?, and apparently, Michael is an instructor for a school in California.

God help the students.

austentatious

austentatious

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Michael was on our local NBC news affiliate in Sacramento this morning. I have never seen a segment so rushed. I got up to get coffee at the commercial before his segment and when I got back it was amost over. He never got to finish his dish. It may have been cut short as a result of a news story that was emerging.

He said he moved back to the area (Stockton) because he has a couple of kids now and needs Grandma to babysit--in a joking manner.
Maybe.

Anyway, he's at Ernie's Food and Spirits in Manteca now. I think it's new. I don't get down to Manteca but if anyone's in the area, it would probably be a good meal.

Edited by austentatious, Dec 14, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.