1-2: "Heroes Welcome" 2006.10.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

120 replies to this topic

Kim

Kim

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 7:30 PM

The hostages try to pick up the pieces of their lives following the bank robbery; Nick's job is in danger.

noirish

noirish

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:00 PM

Not as compelling as last week. I feel like the shelf life on the concept of the show is fairly limited.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Allow me to take this opportunity to say "HOLY CRAP! I can't believe he actually did that!" I seriously did not expect that ending

And how awful was what they did to shut Nick up. Threatening some of the other hostages like that.

Poor Felicia.

Edited by SanLynn, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:02 PM.

Plumberduck

Plumberduck

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Whoa. Maybe I'm dense, but I really didn't see that ending coming.

The Nine: Love means never having to say you're sorry for lethally injecting the man who held you and your now-estranged lover hostage.

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

Damn, I really am loving this show!

So Felicia is going to feel all angsty because she made the 911 call resulting in the 52 hour stand-off. At least we know her age now.

Hated Jeremy last week, like him this week. I say a big "whoo ya" for knocking off Randall (is that the right one?). Should have done it sooner.

Edited by Ripley68, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:03 PM.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

DAMN! Now that was an ending!

I like seeing how everyone is trying to move on, and seeing it pretty much failing at it.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Dr. Dimples just killed Randall! Whoa! I'd think a heart surgeon might be able to disguise it well. It was obviously eating at him that Eva died, Frank the heart patient and young father died, and Randall lived.

I'm so confused about Felicia. I think I may need to rewatch to digest her scenes.

So now Franny and Egan are jobless. Nick has his job but only begrudingly, and Jeremy and Lizzie struggle to do their jobs with (now dead) Randall lying nearby.

Tyreefus

Tyreefus

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

So Jeremy got rid of Randal; can't say I feel sorry.

What exactly did Felicia do? She dialed 911, but they didn't make anything else clear after that. This show is going to be painfully slow with giving info, IMO...

I feel like there's this "X-Files" conspiracy going on behind the scenes. If there's a guy smoking in the background, I'm outta here...

Get it, one of the first!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Things are slow going, but at the same time, I feel that we don't have to worry about this being all-mystery-no-payoff a la Lost.

Okay, do you take a drink or a shot when someone says "in there"? And does the opening card where it's written count?

Plumberduck

Plumberduck

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

You know, I really like the decision Nick made here. I mean, it never feels good to give in on anything, but I think at least part of his desire to fight the power was Nick's way of post-traumaing. It seems like this was actually the more mature, harder choice to make.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:05 PM

What exactly did Felicia do? She dialed 911, but they didn't make anything else clear after that. This show is going to be painfully slow with giving info, IMO...

They do seem to be going very slowly with the reveal for sure. I think Felicia's only guilt in all this is the 911 call. In that flashback they showed at the end Franny was giving it to her pretty good for that. I think they all really believed it would be 5 minutes. Once 911 was involved it turned into something else completely

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

Good episode. I think I can deal with this show as long as Blandy McNoFace (aka pregnant social worker) doesn't appear too often.

I kind of love that Scott Wolf killed the mean robber. That bastard had it coming and it makes Scott's character more interesting. I just hope he never gets caught. It's interesting that Scott seemed the least upset about the situation, but it turns out that he is the one who is the most batshit crazy. Also, it now appears that Scott's funeral sex with Franny wasn't as sketchy as it appeared. Scott and Blandy have all but broken up.

That is an amazing Coldplay song. They used it very well on this show.

I find the teen to be shrill and annoying. I also hate her braids. They could have bought her much better braids than that. However, I do like what they are doing with her character.

etexlady

etexlady

Video Archivist

Anyone know the name of the song playing at the end? I think the artist was Coldplay.

Great episode. I'm hooked.

Marquis

Marquis

Couch Potato

I'm with you noirish, I can't see this going a full season. It isn't as compelling as I hoped it would be and I'm not even sure which storyline interests me. They all bored me to be honest.

Edited by Marquis, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:08 PM.

queenhobodonut

queenhobodonut

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:07 PM

Things are slow going, but at the same time, I feel that we don't have to worry about this being all-mystery-no-payoff a la Lost.

I can agree with this. I did not enjoy the pilot whatsoever and didn't plan on turning on this episode, but didn't really have anything better to do. I'm glad I chose to tune in. This show was well paced, clearly plotted, and I feel as if the writers know the answers that they aren't giving us, and aren't just hoping to figure it out later. I hope I have time to check in on this as it develops.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Oy! I am smitten by this show.

Did not see that ending coming. I felt bad for Jeremy the entire episode because he really seemed to be internalizing his feelings about everything that's happened (the robbery, being unable to save Tom and Eva, estrangement from Lizzie).

But, wow. I can't believe what he did. Wonder if he'll get away with it.

I was really pleased to see more revealed about the hostage crisis - but not too much.

Really looking forward to next week.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

Whoa. Maybe I'm dense, but I really didn't see that ending coming.

I was shocked too. Mainly because I didn't think Jeremy had it in him. I still can't believe that Randall died at the hands of Scott Wolf. Awesome! Don't fuck with Dimples!

I enjoyed it, but I am worrying a bit about the whole cover-up angle. I don't want it to overshadow the original plot, like what happen to Prison Break mid-way through it's first season (and has wisely dropped it now.) I rather see more of the hostage situation and seeing the nine currently coping now.

I actually thought the Malcom/Franny relationship was kind of sweet. I defintley got a "guardian" vibe from him, in the scene were he gave her a ride home.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Egan now. Slightly disappointed that he didn't punch his boss on the way out. Or throw him threw a wall. Or pull a Mr. Incredible and throw him threw several walls. That would have been hilarious.

Edited by thuganomics85, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:12 PM.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

I can't believe they ended it with Jeremy killing the robber. I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. Great ending though.

This show is full of assholes. Not the main characters, but everyone else. Eagan's boss, Tim Daly's boss, etc.

I am glad they cleared up who "the Nine" are with the credits.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

"PTSD" should've been the name of this week's ep. I must say I like this show since they gave us immediate flashbacks to start the ep.

Was that a bright move on Doc Bailey's part? Between cameras and fingerprints, he seems certain to get caught.

While 8 people need to be seeing a therapist, the only person who is keeps doing very dumb things. I knew something somewhat romantic happened between Felicia and Lucas.

It took until the final 10 minutes of this episode for me to finally like Nick. Kathryn OTOH...... The FBI angle seems extremely contrived.

Franny needs to be first in line in terms of getting therapy.

Lizzie is annoying me to no end.

ichooseme

ichooseme

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Anyone know the name of the song playing at the end? I think the artist was Coldplay.

It is in fact Coldplay, the song is Amsterdam.

Vertebrat

Vertebrat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:13 PM

I'm impressed, excellent episode. I like the fact that things are moving along, and stuff is happening in the present time. With Nick and his battles with the really really really evil powers that be and Bailiey killing Randal, it looks like the story in present time will be interesting enough to balance aginst the who, what, where, when, why of the 52 hours that they clearly plan on leaking out sloooowly. Poor Felicia, from what I gather, it was her 911 call that got the police there and that's where it all went bad....so she must be wrestling with a tremendous amount of guilt.

I could do without as much Egan though, that's my biggest complaint. So far, I find him the least interesting and least believable of all the characters.

Sarmoti

Sarmoti

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

This show is awesome.

I love that Lucas is apparently the sweetest bank robber ever. (He may have held you hostage, but he's got your back!) But seriously, I'm completed intrigued by whatever happened to HIM "in there." As they say. A lot.

I like the prologue. I had a stupid juvenile laugh over the fact that Scott Wolf is Number 2.

Chip from Kate and Allie makes a very convincing insurance salesman.

Edited by Sarmoti, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:17 PM.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:17 PM

Chip from Kate and Allie makes a very convincing insurance salesman.

That's who that was! Thank you!

immaf

immaf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

I am already becoming impatient with the style of the show. It's a gimmick, and I'm not sure it's going to be enough to hold my interest. I know they're trying to drag this out for a full season, but it's just so SLOW. Tim Daly sure is decorative, though.

The moment Whatsherface said "I wish Whatshisname was dead.", I knew that either she or Dr. McFly would kill him.

(Sorry, I'm bad with names. Can't they all just wear name tags for the first five or so episodes?)

Apparently, insurance companies are run by evil thirteen-year-olds. I always suspected as much. Honestly, what bizarre casting! And what a cartoonish stereotype.

Edited by immaf, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:20 PM.

rcpubdef98

rcpubdef98

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:23 PM

For some reason, I am not connecting with this show. I think there are too many things that I think might be coming in the future that I just don't like. Whether it's the cover-up, the relationship between Lucas and Felicia or Egan's fame whoring, nothing seems to be catching my interest.

The last thing I want to see is the ADA getting involved in the prosecution of Lucas. It would be offensive. Also, the defense attorney is a bit of an idiot. Accomplice liability (or hand of one, hand of all) makes Lucas liable for anything that happened during the course of the robbery. It doesn't mean anything that he didn't mean for anyone to get hurt. It just bothers me.

Edited by rcpubdef98, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:26 PM.

Hunter

Hunter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:24 PM

It is in fact Coldplay, the song is Amsterdam.

I knew someone would know!

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

I'm still enjoying the show. Franny didn't annoy me as much this week. Her vulnerability was clear and made the character more sympathetic for me.

The scene between Lucas and Felicia was different from the new preview they aired this morning during Good Morning America. I was expecting a second visit. So now I wonder why they changed the scene. I don't know if it's a spoiler because it didn't air, but in this morning's preview Felicia is screaming "Help me remember" when Lucas walks away. Did I miss that? Anyway, I think it was played well and still brings up questions. Why is Lucas protecting her? Why does Felicia choose to go to Lucas for answers?

I'm not sure about Nick's storyline. If it turns out to be a conspiracy, I think I'll roll my eyes. But if the FBI simply wants to keep their screw-up out of the media, I think I'll be disappointed there isn't a bigger reason for shadowy stalker guys.

I don't know what to say about Jeremy/Randall, only that I hope the writers haven't written Jeremy's character into a corner. I have no idea how those heart-attack-causing-chemicals work, so maybe something like that can't be traced? If it can be traced, isn't it so obviously Jeremy's doing? The only way I see him getting out of going to jail is if the FBI/Police want this to go away.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

Is it wrong that the robber who is in jail (Lucas) is my favorite character?

I'm finding Nick's storyline the most interesting. But, if you think about it, his chief's threats were really pretty empty. He could go to any reporter worth their salt (not the one shown tonight) with a story about the FBI threatening hostage victims and they would have been all over it. Not to mention the PR nightmare that would be created if the police tried to press charges against Egan (especially) and Franny.

Egan is a character best taken in small doses.

rcpubdef98

rcpubdef98

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

Not to mention the PR nightmare that would be created if the police tried to press charges against Egan (especially) and Franny.

This is an astute point. It really bothered me that the police would even think of going there.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

Why does Felicia choose to go to Lucas for answers?

I'm probably reading too much into this but the flashback with Franny getting mad at her plus her comments to the psychiatrist about the others not wanting to deal with her (or something to that effect) make me think that she believes Lucas is her way to find out what happened.

I could be way off though.

Edited by SanLynn, Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:35 PM.