1 vs 100

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

538 replies to this topic

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

They should make the questions more difficult later in the game.

This is the natural progression of questions on games shows similar to this one, so I don't understand why they don't employ it on this show. It's usually some very easy questions at the beginning, and then maybe a somewhat difficult question, and then another softball, and then a super hard one; you would think that they could be more consistent to go along with the decreasing amount of mob members.

TheMadOptimist

TheMadOptimist

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

The man on the show was gloriously glossy and gay- and I loved it!

ETA: ERIC! That's his name. I wonder if he does shows (drag) because some of his mannerisms said to me that he dressed differently when not on this show (especially the sweeping "hair" behind the ears).

Edited by TheMadOptimist, Feb 22, 2008 @ 9:08 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

Eric was a fun contestant. I loved it when Bob told him his eyes were up here! That's probably the first time I have heard that expression used by one man towards another. I'm glad he left with $100K tonight.

It's been a tough few weeks for the mob. The first contestant tonight went home with $250K so the mob left penniless once again.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

I loved Eric, too! His lip gloss was poppin'... Sommore tried to rib him, but his comeback of "What? Are you jealous Girlfriend?" was hilarious.

Loqi

Loqi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 12:27 AM

Everyone in the mob loved Eric - his comment about $10,000 being a lot of money endeared him to many, especially compared to another contestant (I believe the blond lawyer) who implied that a similar sum was not a big deal to her. I wondered why the producers chose to air this particular episode out of sequence as the season finale... at first I thought that they weren't going to air it at all, for fear that Eric read way to gay. I'm glad they did, and I'm glad Eric took the money!

jhlipton

jhlipton

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 1:22 AM

I thought that they weren't going to air it at all, for fear that Eric read way to gay.

Compared to "Ross the Intern" (wish that was "interred")? I don't think that's possible. (Ross' Wikipedia entry states he's "openly gay" -- I think that should be "flamboyantly gay".) The three of the four "stars" (Sommore, Ross, and Rubin) seemed be picked for their high "annoying" factor -- the Dahm Sisters for their "boring" factor. I would have rather seen more members of the mob.

I was rooting AGAINST Eric because he was so dumb. As has been discussed here many times, you ALWAYS use the Trust help first. Plus He Would Not Shut Up. Gah. I'm glad he's gone.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 3:53 AM

I was rooting AGAINST Eric because he was so dumb. As has been discussed here many times, you ALWAYS use the Trust help first. Plus He Would Not Shut Up. Gah. I'm glad he's gone.

Well, to tell you the truth, I think that we came up with the consensus that you always use the “Trust the Mob” first after we had seen multiple episodes already, and that became the obvious strategy.

I’m not sure that the lastest “One” would have the same insight that we have here, since we have the luxury of seeing all the previous episodes and having hundreds of posters figuring out which strategy works the best.

But even so, yes, I just wanted him to shut up already.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

Why are so many contestants afraid to use Trust the Mob? They are always so worried about putting the answer choice in the mob's hands. Like the mob is going to deliberately get a question wrong; they want to continue in the game, too.

I can't believe that Bob Saget referred to Oscar as Grover! What a dope. I loved it when Bob asked Oscar a question and he referred to Bob as Howie. Heh, that Oscar has a nice sense of humor!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

I think the Ask the Mob help is completely worthless. All it does is tell you one of the answers is wrong. The mob has figured out not to let on if they really know the answer and usually say something like "just a guess". And the one answer eliminated is usually the one you know is not correct.

I found the presumably gay guy last night annoying because he mumbled and stammered about his answers, which was cringeworthy to listen to and a complete waste of time. JUST SAY SOMETHING ALREADY!!!! STOP MUMBLING!!

Also he knew the Britney-K Fed answer but needed help to figure out "Lyndon Johnson". He seriously needs to reprioritize his knowledge.

Loqi

Loqi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

I can't believe that Bob Saget referred to Oscar as Grover! What a dope. I loved it when Bob asked Oscar a question and he referred to Bob as Howie. Heh, that Oscar has a nice sense of humor!

Or how about how Bob rode Oscar when he got the "what number comes first alphabetically?" question wrong - "But Oscar, isn't that what you guys do on Sesame Street???" hee hee

Hibiscus92

Hibiscus92

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2008 @ 2:33 PM

Also he knew the Britney-K Fed answer but needed help to figure out "Lyndon Johnson". He seriously needs to reprioritize his knowledge.

I thought the same thing - it seemed like he already had an idea that that Lyndon Johnson was the right answer, but decided to burn a help anyway.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

Hee! I thought Bob and Oscar had some good banter going.

This was the first episode I watched and I had to ask the people I was watching with if all the contestants talked that much. Eric talked and talked and talked. Is that normal?

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

No, blondie69, the contestants don't usually talk as much as Eric did and they definitely don't talk as much as on DoND. However, they still talk enough to consume about a third of the actual air time. I'd much prefer a Jeopardy! level or Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? amount of banter; but the show's producer obviously doesn't want that considering how much cash this show gives away on average.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2008 @ 9:24 AM

Sure, Bob can give Oscar some grief, but Bob's not sitting on the floor with his arms up in the air trying to get the A, B, & C buttons right.

Loqi, I hope being a mob member got you a good bit o' Cash American! Congrats on your appearances.

Loqi

Loqi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Loqi, I hope being a mob member got you a good bit o' Cash American! Congrats on your appearances.

It was really fun. I missed the big payout of $50k, but I won twice out of the four possible times the mob members took home money (total of $5490)... and I learned what a Pocket Fisherman was. Good times indeed.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

1 vs. 100 is returning to tv on GSN.

The show returns November 15, with Carrie Ann Inaba as host, and will air Monday-Friday. Now that it's a daily show on GSN, the top prize will be $50,000.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 8:29 AM

I liked it in the beginning, but now with all the celebs, the the hollering and screaming. Stopped watching it.

chickee

chickee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

The show returns November 15, with Carrie Ann Inaba as host

Flipping through channels and caught this last night. Carrie Ann's dress was too short. I'm sure it gave the audience in the front row a very unpleasant experience. The Mob is now on video monitors instead of standing in bleachers. Not sure if I will watch again.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

I used to watch this show sometimes, but yesterday they had a new moderator. She dressed like a hooker and there wasn't much to her vocal ability either. The show has changed. Too much hollering and screaming, and then there's the celebrities in the mob. Nah. Won't be watching it anymore.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

I'm taping the shows for a friend. After he sees this show, he'd probably not watch either. We want Saget back!

urbanpreppie05

urbanpreppie05

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

Just kinda throwing this reminder out there....When a show goes to cable, there are things that will inevitably cheaper-

The talent- I love Carrie Ann Inaba...but she's just not right for this show for some reason, but she may get better. Switching to a webcam based mob is also very, very cheap to do...
The budget-The highest GSN show has offered what, 100k? 50K is not bad
The set-impressive...gives a feel of the NBC version, with a updated and flair that fits the altered setting.

Its not great...but ok, i guess.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 7:33 PM

Sorry, a bad show is a bad show. I used to watch it when it first started on GSN. Then little by little they added celebrities, then more and more, as the audience grew louder and louder and the contestants more and more wacky. I guess I don't understand why people enjoy watching programs with all that nonsense. It's no longer a quiz show, it's a carnival. I guess if you like carnivals and parties, these shows are the ones to watch. But I wouldn't call them "game shows".

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

Carrie Ann appears to be wearing dresses that are a size or two too small for her. They are very unflattering and too short.

I liked the old version of this show better.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

Not to mention the spontaneous dancing which works on another game show. Not this one, though.
Heck, the guy who hosts GSN Live could handle the job better.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

Too bad the other moderator is gone, and they put the mob in little squares. Weird. They took what started out as a pretty good game show and turned it into a carnival. So much for Game Show Network. Should change the name to Game Show Carnival.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

The old show was on NBC, GSN probably doesn't have the space or budget to have 100 people in studio playing the game

Super Mateo

Super Mateo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 7:42 PM

I don't think I have ever seen this situation before, but on tonight's episode, they had a question that everyone got wrong, so no prize money was awarded. They asked what was the Latin plural of Prius.

What I have enjoyed about this show is how the questions are written. Sure, they have some good inneundos in them, but sometimes the choices completely change the meaning of the question, keeping them on their toes.

Carrie's fine as host. She is actually softer than Saget was when he started. I do agree, though, that whoever is dressing her needs to try something different. Her clothes are too short and tight.

Edited by Super Mateo, Dec 30, 2010 @ 7:45 PM.

urbanpreppie05

urbanpreppie05

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 12:28 AM

" agreed.I watched an episode of this the other day, she has gotten BETTER than she was at first. Clothes are STILL too tight.

As for the pre-taped mob (the squares)? The show is on cable with a budget MUCH less that the other version...what would you have suggested if you dont like that? Someone suggested like 20 in-studio and the other 80 pre-taped, i dunno though...

Edited by urbanpreppie05, Dec 31, 2010 @ 12:30 AM.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

I have a suggestion. Take the show off the air if you can't put it on right. The new hostess looks like a hooker, and those little boxes are stupid. I stopped watching it after it changed.

Edited by river8101, Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:18 PM.