2-2: "Tooth & Claw" 2006.10.06 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

157 replies to this topic

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

• Interests:Doctor Who, Caprica Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Project Runway, Eureka, Leverage, White Collar, Burn Notice, reading, science fiction, reading science fiction, journalism, the 4th estate, DEMOCRACY, Canada, Who fanfic (about and with which some folks undoubtedly have problems), government policy wonk stuff, and music, music muuuusic.

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 2:56 PM

Tooth and Claw and the recap are proof that Dr. Who and DW recaps, like fine wine, only get better with age. Or, perhaps, proof that as one drinks more and more, what one drinks is appreciated with ever increasing sloppy delight. Seriously, though, I read the recap this time *after* I'd read the Tennyson, and everything - the recap, the parallels, the poetry, the plot, the twistiness of the language in both recap and script (which I liked a great deal - even the clear-eyed stupidity of the Scottish ninja-fu) made so much more sense to me, and fit so much more beautifully this time.

I have to differ with the recap, though; I loved the Doctor's commentary as he figured out the final pieces of the puzzle. It read (and sounded aloud, frankly) very naturally to me. Natural, of course, mapping out to "the way a 900 year old brilliant ADHD victim would speak under extreme and life-threateningly stressful conditions."

Zippix

Zippix

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

I have to differ with the recap, though; I loved the Doctor's commentary as he figured out the final pieces of the puzzle. It read (and sounded aloud, frankly) very naturally to me. Natural, of course, mapping out to "the way a 900 year old brilliant ADHD victim would speak under extreme and life-threateningly stressful conditions."

Yeah, I felt the same. There's no way that could've been an easy line to deliver, but I think it worked. In, as you say, the context of the extreme and unusual circumstances, and the extreme and unusual character.

I tried to read Tennyson, I really tried, but I think I need to either find a much quieter place to read, or wait until my concentration span improves.

I'm generally much more in favour of this episode than most people, though. When you like something that other people don't, you get defensive, so sometimes it's best to keep some things to yourself. I love (almost) everything about it. I was a big reader of werewolf fantasy lit in my teens, so this was just awesome for me. Lupine wavelength haemovariform, indeed. I love Scotland (yeah, I know it's bloody Wales, stop spoiling my fun), I love the way the plot plays out. I love QV, Scottish accents, mistletoe. The only things I don't love are the ninjamonks and, as Jacob says, the over-cutesy, giggly behaviour at the beginning and end.

But as far as that goes, that's the pattern through the first third of S2, and I find it increasingly irritating. But that's for next week.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

• Interests:Doctor Who, Caprica Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Project Runway, Eureka, Leverage, White Collar, Burn Notice, reading, science fiction, reading science fiction, journalism, the 4th estate, DEMOCRACY, Canada, Who fanfic (about and with which some folks undoubtedly have problems), government policy wonk stuff, and music, music muuuusic.

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 3:59 PM

Zippix,

I tried to read Tennyson, I really tried, but I think I need to either find a much quieter place to read, or wait until my concentration span improves.

If you had told me even five years ago that I'd say this, I would have laughed heartily in your direction, but...It's worth the effort. I tried a couple of times, and couldn't do it. Then I brought the poem to bed with me and started to declaim it aloud, very slowly. Once I got the abba rhyme format, which wasn't immediately easy for me to process, I started enjoying it more. It's really quite a sophisticated piece, and still earnestly beautiful. Full of dignity and love and huge conceptual leaps. It put paid to my stupid ideas of Victorians as somehow unintelligent.

I never really thought the Doctor and Rose were being overly cutesy in any part of S2, and I wrack my brains to figure out why I didn't, when amost everybody thought that, to some extent or another, they were.

Zippix

Zippix

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 4:23 PM

If you had told me even five years ago that I'd say this, I would have laughed heartily in your direction, but...It's worth the effort. I tried a couple of times, and couldn't do it. Then I brought the poem to bed with me and started to declaim it aloud, very slowly. Once I got the abba rhyme format, which wasn't immediately easy for me to process, I started enjoying it more. It's really quite a sophisticated piece, and still earnestly beautiful. Full of dignity and love and huge conceptual leaps. It put paid to my stupid ideas of Victorians as somehow unintelligent.

I'll put it on my list. I'll give it another go. I know reading poetry aloud helps if you're struggling, but I'm the butt of enough jokes in this house. Next time everyone clears off and gives me an empty house, I'll have another crack.

I never really thought the Doctor and Rose were being overly cutesy in any part of S2, and I wrack my brains to figure out why I didn't, when amost everybody thought that, to some extent or another, they were.

The beginning's not too bad, other than the obvious "punk" and "rockabilly" comments, which ... urgh. The end was worse. Like I say, I love this episode, and I hate to criticise it, but ... yeah. It's just too much. It's like in New Earth, where, as Jacob says, Rose is being all "weird and aggressive" about how much she loves travelling with the Doctor.

I do think the whole Doctor/Companion thing got a bit warped in S2. I'm not particularly old school about DW - I was born in 1981, so I have very little recollection of Old Who the first time round - but I was firmly in the camp that didn't like it. Didn't like the "weird/agressive" love in New Earth, didn't like the cutesy bit in Tooth and Claw, didn't appreciate at all any suggestion, however remote, that Rose was somehow different (or worse, more) than any previous companion in School Reunion. And don't get me started on The Girl in the Fireplace. It's not that I hate it (I don't, at all) but I've plenty to say on the subject. See you in a fortnight.

And, like several others, this whole theme put me off Rose. It very nearly put me off Ten, too, because the kind of cutesy behaviour in T&C just jarred with all previous manners. For me, anyway. I know it wasn't all Rose, but don't discount my dorky crush. Maybe if I'd been a bloke, or a lesbian, the chips would have fallen a different way.

Me, I was actually glad for the whole Cybermen mess because seemed to distract from the weird relationship stuff a bit, but the season didn't seem to honestly pick up until The Impossible Planet.

MsMia

MsMia

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 4:24 PM

Same here. I decided I either have a high tolerance level for cuteness, or I'm just really thick.

This was the recap that got me hooked on recaps. I was a big Tennyson geek in college, but hadn't read him in years. So when I stumbled across this recap, my first thought was, ninjas and werewolves and Queen Victoria aren't enough? We're throwing poetry in there too? And then I swooned and sighed and went back and read every recap twice and decided that maybe I wasn't entirely wasting my brain on mindless sci-fi after all.

And I loved the werewolf-- he was just cool-looking.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 4:57 PM

MsMia,

And I loved the werewolf-- he was just cool-looking.

Yeah, and he had the line, when he was in human form, that frightened me the most in the entire episode - the bit about hollowing out his boy-host's soul and sitting in his heart. I recoiled from the screen when I first heard it. And then leaned in even closer when he recoiled from Rose. "You have something of the wolf in you" indeed....

Zippix

Zippix

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 5:01 PM

Yeah, and he had the line, when he was in human form, that frightened me the most in the entire episode - the bit about hollowing out his boy-host's soul and sitting in his heart. I recoiled from the screen when I first heard it.

Oh, yeah. Massive credit to that actor, because that line sent chills just about everywhere. So much hate and horror.

The wolf-version was also very cool, if not as chillingly scary. Possibly a bit bigger than I'd imagine, but otherwise, perfect. As just about everyone said, the Harry Potter people must have cried when they saw that.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

If you haven't listened to the commentary for this episode the BBC provides on the Who website, do--it's a lot of fun. It seems David Tennant went to drama school with the guy who played the werewolf, and that he knows the guy who played Lord Whosit from another context, so they sit there the whole time and rag on the absent werewolf guy. "Boy, he DOES look creepy there!" "Yeah, well, that was kind of normal for him back in RSADM."