Master of Superpower Suckage: Sylar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4681 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

Thought we needed a thread to talk about Sylar, the evil body-freezing, brain-stealing serial killer that they're apparently all gonna gang up to face.

If I'm stepping on any toes starting this thread, just let me know.

Sheena

Sheena

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

We don't really know much yet, do we?

I know one thing: I wouldn't want to meet this guy in a crowded, public, safe place during lunch rush. What we know (which isn't much) scares the bejeebus out of me.

cggb

cggb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 9:13 PM

It doesn't seem that Sylar is the ultimate bad guy. These guys are trying to save the world, and Sylar appears to be just a glamorized serial killer.

Magus

Magus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 2:42 AM

It doesn't seem that Sylar is the ultimate bad guy. These guys are trying to save the world, and Sylar appears to be just a glamorized serial killer.

For all we know, Sylar is an agent of the ultimate bad guy, or he's working with the Bad Glasses Men. About the only thing I'm sure of is that he will be involved in the explosion somehow.

Edited by Magus, Oct 4, 2006 @ 2:52 AM.

johnnyd80

johnnyd80

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 10:04 AM

I want to know more about Papa Suresh's connection to Sylar - the whole "you made me like this" angle.

DiePhoebeDie

DiePhoebeDie

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 10:44 AM

So, until we come up with a better nickname for him, how does Sylar Swishy Carrington sound?

JohnR

JohnR

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 11:22 AM

What's great is that we DON'T know a lot about him. We're free to imagine him as anything we want, or fear.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 12:18 PM

how does Sylar Swishy Carrington sound?

You forgot #2. Or as I like to call him, "The Prettier One" ; )

DiePhoebeDie

DiePhoebeDie

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 1:11 PM

At the time, I liked Al Corley better.

Topic?

I got nothin'.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 4:18 PM

What's great is that we DON'T know a lot about him. We're free to imagine him as anything we want, or fear.

I agree, JohnR. I hope this carries on, because he's more ominous as an unknown element. I want to see the heroes deal with one of their own as an enemy, and he seems to fit the bill.

So I cast my vote for: We Haven't Met Sylar Yet.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 4:35 PM

I think that there's a little bit of Sylar in all of us. And little bits of a lot of people in Sylar.

Siege Perilous

Siege Perilous

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

I'm hoping Sylar will be someone we've already met or someone who's already been mentioned. Like, he's Dad Petrelli or even Mohinder's dad (talking to himself on the answering machine). I know they're both supposed to be dead, but they could be zombies now. And you know what zombies like to eat. :)

cggb

cggb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 10:34 AM

For all we know, Sylar is an agent of the ultimate bad guy, or he's working with the Bad Glasses Men. About the only thing I'm sure of is that he will be involved in the explosion somehow.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe I've watched too much 24, but I've come to expect that the first bad guy isn't the ultimate bad guy, but just a precursor to the main event. Somehow I see Sylar as an agent (as you suggest), or a warm-up for the ultimate battle.

Suzybear782000

Suzybear782000

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 11:11 AM

I'm hoping Sylar will be someone we've already met or someone who's already been mentioned.

This could be entirely possible. I like the idea that it would be Mohinder's dad...even not as a zombie or anything, but having sort of a "Secret Garden" complex thing going on. Maybe he's not really dead....

surfsup79

surfsup79

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

What is Papa Suresh's connection to Sylar again? I remember he got a tape or something from him or something. I totally forgot since the pilot.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2006 @ 10:45 AM

What is Papa Suresh's connection to Sylar again? I remember he got a tape or something from him or something. I totally forgot since the pilot.

Unclear. All we know so far is that Papa Suresh's answering machine captured part of a conversation between them, and it was clear that that wasn't their first contact.

Phang

Phang

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 7, 2006 @ 4:55 PM

Sylar's in the background and shadows. We have not meet him.
I doubt if we'll do more than just hear his voice for most of the season.

Magus

Magus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

Does anybody else think that we might have another Keyser Soze here? I agree that we probably haven't seen him yet, but that doesn't mean we won't. Tim Kring made "Crossing Jordan," which is about solving crimes. Jeph Loeb is as much a mystery writer as he is a comics writer. In fact, some of his most famous works are character-driven mysteries (The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush). With a pedigree like this, I am inclined to expect a great deal of misdirection while watching this show.

Drewbear

Drewbear

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 9:32 PM

So Sylar has an improved (or at least usable) version of Papa Suresh's hero-hunter program? Well, now it looks like Evil Pixie's people have it now.

Plus he appears to be a pretty strong TK as well. Our heroes are so screwed, aren't they?

Magus

Magus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 11:30 PM

Plus he appears to be a pretty strong TK as well. Our heroes are so screwed, aren't they? - Drewbear

I'm not convinced that this guy is Sylar, but he is clearly someone that they have to deal with. Anyway... until this episode, I would have agreed with you. However, I think that Peter and Hiro together could take him.

Edited by Magus, Oct 9, 2006 @ 11:36 PM.

Lilah012

Lilah012

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 8:10 AM

Well, this was mentioned in the third episode's thread, but I just wanted to expand on the idea that Sylar's abilities are a combination of the other heroes' powers. Maybe not all of them, but some of them. I believe he was referred to as Patient Zero, so maybe he's where the whole thing started.

I mean, the guy was shot and then stood right back up (Claire), seems to have a split personality (Niki), cleaned up his apartment REALLY quickly before the police showed up (Niki? Hiro?), but he seems to be telepathic, and I have no idea where that comes from. So I might be wrong.

But I have to say... if the guy has Hiro's power, that's pretty scary. And if he can see into the future like Isaac, what does he see? Events that only help him, or does he have visions where he can change things for the better?

Like I said, I could be wrong. But the whole part about him cleaning out the apartment so fast seemed over-the-top. It was either his ability or it was the other faction (Bad Glasses Man and Co.) who took all the evidence.

rivka

rivka

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

I don't think Sylar cleaned out the apartment. I think Pixie girl is a mole, and tipped off the FBI or Bad Glasses Man and Co (whoever she works for), and they cleaned it out. A three letter outfit (FBI/CIA/NSA) is the only kind of place that could clean it out that fast.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks he has everyone else's powers -- couldn't all of his powers simply be explained by very powerful TK?

Edited by rivka, Oct 10, 2006 @ 1:24 PM.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 1:32 PM

I wonder if someone can clarify for me: The absolutely horrifying scary creepy dude that gave me nightmares - the one from which Officer Troi got dead thought silence (btw, wasn't that dude on Oz?) - are we to suppose that he is Sylar? In the coming attractions for next week, one of BGM's men resembles him, but maybe it's just a resemblance. Anyway, that guy was spooky.

Yoohoostereo

Yoohoostereo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 1:34 PM

I'm getting the feeling that Sylar is white. I think we are suppose to think that the man that tried to kidnap that girl from the FBI (and got shot at and almost killed Clea Duvall's character) is Sylar. That guy looked white-to-fair-skinned to me.

litex

litex

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 1:42 PM

Count me down as one who thinks Sylar is stealing powers. Claire's lack of regeneration when her brain was pierced makes me think that the powers are tied into the brains, and Sylar seems to have perfected a method of tracking powered individuals, and we know he's taking brains and collecting the organs, so putting it all together it seems likely that since Sylar is taking some people's brains but not others, its very likely that he's only taking the brains of people with powers. Why this is, I don't know, but given the wide array of powers he's thus far displayed - telekinesis or magnetism, teleportation or flight, freezing, regeneration or invulnerability, I think he's simply accumulating the powers of his victims.

spazzy

spazzy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

I was actually just thinking that too. I posted it in the speculation without spoilers thread.

That woudl make the most sense to me, that Sylar is Dad Petreli..heres hoping!

I'm hoping Sylar will be someone we've already met or someone who's already been mentioned. Like, he's Dad Petrelli or even Mohinder's dad (talking to himself on the answering machine). I know they're both supposed to be dead, but they could be zombies now. And you know what zombies like to eat. :)

Edited by spazzy, Oct 10, 2006 @ 2:57 PM.

StandingInRain

StandingInRain

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 9:45 PM

So was Sylar the guy in the bar who was staring at Matt? He seems like he could be, his necklace was similiar to the S glyph shown so far.

Ghost Bear

Ghost Bear

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

Theory 1: Sylar is Papa Suresh. Papa Suresh is actually a schizo / split personality, like Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde approach. Jekyll Suresh knows he's got a problem and is trying desperately to keep Hyde Suresh from putting the two "keys" together (hence the hunt, I'm guessing, for that flash drive). The weak point here is obviously the answering machine tape.....but IIRC the voices don't go over each other in the conversation.

Theory 2: Sylar isn't one person - it's a group of people. Headed by Bad Glasses Man. Each emerging Hero has a Sylar-style agent following them OR collecting them. Or maybe each major city or region has a Sylar agent. Theory 1 can merge here, with Jekyll/Hyde/Suresh as the Sylar agent for NYC.

Regardless, I agree that a.) the powers seem linked to the brains somehow - we see Claire's "return" via the removal of the stick-to-the-head as proof. Add to that the LA(?) Sylar dude who had the combo powers. Brain-eaters, perhaps? Oh, and b.) that damned glyph is showing up an AWFUL lot. Book, necklace, graffiti scrawl in Sylar's Secret Cave, compy code screen (watch as it scrolls....).

Frak, I *love* this show. Is it Monday yet?

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 6:33 AM

I've said this already in one thread or another, but I'm thinking that Sylar's only power is telekinesis, although it's very strong.

He uses it to impale his non-powered victims to walls or ceilings with objects he finds on the scene. He also uses it on the brains of the powered victims to trigger their powers, and use them against them. (He knows exactly where to look thanks to Papa Suresh.)

He used it to get Clea DuVall to nearly shoot herself.

When Matt came out, guns blazing, he threw up a quick TK force field, but he didn't have time to anchor himself, so the force of the bullets sent him flying. (And was it my imagination, or did he float to his feet, instead of staggering up?)

When he escaped, he used his power to raise himself up onto the roof, or somewhere else outside of PsiCop's line of sight.

(As far as cleaning out the apartment goes, I figure that Suresh's neighbour called the agency she works for (probably even her boss, the Man in Glasses), and they cleared the place out.)

rivka

rivka

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 10:31 AM

Mad Maple, bingo. You've mirrored my exact thoughts.

I also think Sylar = black man in bar = Niki's husband.