**SPOILERS** and Speculation: Work Idea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1291 replies to this topic

folktale

folktale

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

Haven't seen much around in the way of spoilers for this show, but surely some will eventually pop up, right? And in the meantime, we're free to speculate.

What is Wilhelmina's big plan? What's Daddy Meade up to? Should Daniel's quick turnaround be trusted? What other characters will be joining the fray?

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 7:11 PM

There are lots of spoilers. http://www.tv.com has a lot of them and I'll add in some others that i read around.

Episode 2: Box and the Bunny
Betty loses a book, which is the complete new edition of the magazine and is containing un-retouched photos of a popular actress. She has to find the book before the photos get out to the rest of the press. Meanwhile, Wilhelmina plots to use the snafu to bring Daniel down and Bradford Meade secretively inquires about Fey Sommers' final effects.

Episode 3
Queens for the Day
Betty will use her Queens connections to lure big time photographer Vincent Bianchi to shoot for the magazine. When Bianchi insists that Betty meet him at a posh restaurant, she get a makeover but things dont quite turn out as planned. In the mean time, Bradford tries to get his hands on Fey Sommers death car and Wilhelmina primps for a big date

*Somewhere I saw a picture of Betty in curlers at a beauty shop getting her makeover to go to the restaurant for this episode. In one of the other versions, Betty has a bad makeover that is done for laughs which is what I think this will be like.

Episode 4?
Swag
Minimalist fashion icon Oshi comes to Gotham to unveil his Spring line to the Mode Magazine editors. Christina's swag lottery, with the Modes closet clothes and accessories, creates a feeding frenzy among the office fashionistas, while Betty wears herself out helping Daniel who had his credit card cut off, because of a $20,000 expense report that Betty filed which was rejected, making it impossible for him to wine and dine an important Japanese designer, Oshi.
*According to www.tv.com, Betty and Daniel end up taking this photographer to a White Castle-like restaurant and Wilhemina gets in trouble for getting a butt lift and charging it to her company credit card. She wishes the uptight company accountant "Good luck sending back my ass. "

Episode 5
The Lyin, The Watch and the Wardrobe
A Halloween episode in which Betty has to recover a watch that Daniel has lost. To do so, she has to retrace his steps by visiting with all the women he slept with that week. She also goes out with an accountant to lunch. She does all of this while dressed up for Halloween as a butterfly. Also, at one point she meets up with a guy dressed up as Superman which I think is a funny allusion to their time slot competition with Smallville. Daniel's mom is alive and he visits with her at a rehab facility about their past. She's pretty darn fabulous in an Absolutely Fabulous way.

Episode 6
Turns out Wilhemina has a daughter who shows up after being kicked out of boarding school. Wilhemina is not pleased and they test each other in a very public way.

Episode 7
Trust Lust
Mr. Suarez may be deported if they can't hire an immigration attorney to fix his papers. Santos, Justin's father is introduced as someone from whom Hilda wants to borrow $ to pay the attorney. Hilda and Betty both try to sell lots of Herbalux to raise the money.

Episode 8
After Hours
Daniel tries to pick up Sofia, a new grounded and ambitious employee at the magazine who blows off his advances. It seems Daniel and Amanda are no longer seeing each other and Amanda is sad about this while Daniel has moved on quickly. Betty works on a hotel review for the magazine and goes to a swanky hotel where she doesn't fit in. Walter joins Betty at the hotel and they have a confrontation as Walter accuses Betty of changing because she works at Mode now. Meanwhile Wilhemina puts on a Southern act to get a Texas businessman to buy ads in Mode, but the guy sees thru her act and gives her a *very* hard time to get his business.

Edited by Massena1, Oct 11, 2006 @ 7:02 PM.

Mexicanguy

Mexicanguy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 8:55 PM

A lot of those episode descriptions sound like fun specially the Halloween episode.

Edited by Mexicanguy, Sep 29, 2006 @ 8:58 PM.

missor88

missor88

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

Yay for spoilers!

Massena1 - Where did you get the info on Episodes 5-7? They sound like sides descriptions, but I haven't seen any sides for this show.

Edited by missor88, Sep 29, 2006 @ 9:17 PM.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 12:55 AM

I agree that the episodes seem like they will be very fun. I think dealing with the Suarez's legal status is also a nice element to the show. The producers said they wanted to bring a bit of Norman Lear back to primetime and deal with hot button issues in an entertaining way and I'd guess this is one example of that from them.

missor88 - I can understand why you'd ask, but in my experience the quickest way to make spoilers disappear is to talk about where they come from.

acrobate21

acrobate21

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 4:55 PM

Massena1, thanks for the spoilers. I can't wait to see those episodes, especially the Halloween special. Can you imagine the look on Betty's face when she visits Daniel's special lady friends?

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 11:48 PM

Also, at one point she meets up with a guy dressed up as Superman which I think is a funny allusion to their time slot competition with Smallville.

If this episode beats the crap out of Smallville, it will be so funny.

These spoilers so far sound great. I'm excited.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 12:16 AM

I don't know what happens with the guy in the Superman outfit, but I thought the meta would be hilarious if for some reason Betty kicked Superman's ass on the show.

ETA: I saw some ads on ABC tonight for UB and the scenes were all about Betty's makeover. I wondered if ABC might have switched ep. 2 and 3 around so that Queens for a Day will air next instead of the episode about losing the book. A few reviewers mentioned that the second episode felt like too much of a retread of the premiere and since the lost "book" plotline is also similar to Devil Wears Prada which people were commenting they felt the pilot was too much like, I could see them spacing the two episodes more apart so it doesn't come off as a complete ripoff of DWP.

Edited by Massena1, Oct 5, 2006 @ 12:23 AM.

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

The ad I saw yesterday DEFINITELY looked like it was for Queen for a Day, but TiVo claims it's not. I guess we'll see.

Chysalis

Chysalis

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 11:01 AM

Spoilers Episode 4

Christina's swag lottery, with the Modes closet clothes and accessories, creates a feeding frenzy among the office fashionistas, while Betty wears herself out helping Daniel who had his credit card cut off, because of a $20,000 expense report that Betty filled and who was rejected, making it impossible for him to wine and dine an important Japanese designer, Oshi.

From Tv.com

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 1:44 PM

I was just coming to see if anyone had posted that info on Swag. I see someone beat me to it.

I think it sounds like a fun episode with everyone exposing their greedy side.

A NYT article about ratings included a pic of Betty at the beauty salon with Hilda. I'm guessing it is from Queens for a Day.
http://www.nytimes.c...p;ex=1160539200

yulichka

yulichka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 2:37 PM

Is it too early to speculate that Willhemina totally set up the former Mode EiC's accident in order to get control of the company by framing and booting Bradford?

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 3:44 PM

TV.com has put up a slew of promotional stills for upcoming episodes of Ugly Betty.

There are some really funny ones. Spoilers obviously: http://www.tv.com/ug...ag=pagination;1

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 3:52 PM

Ooooooh, I love the one with Marc in the purple shirt. I know his character is gay, but man!

Edited by VersesBatman, Oct 10, 2006 @ 3:54 PM.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 6:02 PM

ABC put up a preview clip for tomorrow's episode. It has post-makeover Betty.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/uglybetty/

MoondustWolf

MoondustWolf

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 6:16 PM

Episode titles from TV.com. Wonder if the last one's foreshadowing anything...

(Note: these don't match up with the episode numbers Massena1 posted exactly, and episode 8 is missing, so they might not be exactly right)

6 The Lyin', the Witch and the Wardrobe
7 Trust Lust
9 After Hours
10 Four Thanksgivings and a Funeral

Edited by MoondustWolf, Oct 11, 2006 @ 6:28 PM.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 6:55 PM

The Lyin, The Watch and the Wardrobe is the Halloween episode.

Episode 9: Four Thanksgivings and A Funeral Spoilers
Hilda, Santos (Justin's Dad), Ignacio, Justin, Betty and Walter are going to have Thanksgiving at the Suarez home. Betty and Hilda have some tension bc Hilda is taking over the holiday meal preparations and stepping on Betty's toes. Betty is also upset because an attorney they hired to help them with her dad's immigration case hasn't and I'm guessing she's worried about the lost retainer fee. Plus, Hilda is getting on Betty's case about being a slave to her job.

Daniel goes to the lavish Thanksgiving party his parents give. His AbFab mom is trying not to drink and keeps her snarky attitude about their guests. Sophia, the woman Daniel was after in the previous episode, attends the party with her nearly perfect boyfriend. Daniel is humbled a lot by failing to measure up to the boyfriend thru a series of gaffs ending in Daniel claiming to be a great dancer merely bc the boyfriend said he was a lousy dancer. Turns out Daniel was grossly exaggerating his abilities and he finally ends up drinking up a storm...to the point where Betty has to be called to get him home.

Wilhemina isn't going to go domestic and spend the holiday with her kid until her guilty conscience gets to her. Then, God help the pedestrian shoppers at the grocery store when Wilhemina decides she needs to be a domestic goddess. There is a guest star in this storyline that if they get will be HILARIOUS.

Amanda and Evil!Marc spend Thanksgiving together drinking champagne at the offices and doing karoake. Fun. Fun. Fun.

The Fey Sommers mystery storyline continues in this and adds a dark, serious element to the show.

Edited by Massena1, Oct 11, 2006 @ 7:04 PM.

carcassi

carcassi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 2:20 PM

My first visit to this thread, and already I see some familiar faces! *Waves at Massena and VersesBatman* :)

Thanks, Massena, for posting those spoilers. Of course I especially love the one about the Halloween episode, and the guy in the Superman outfit. *g*

I thought the meta would be hilarious if for some reason Betty kicked Superman's ass on the show.

How can they resist? *very evil grin*

I love it that while all the eps feature Betty and Daniel, they don't necessarily revolve around Betty and Daniel. The story arcs for both Bradford (investigating Fey Sommers' death?) and for Wilhelmina (dealing with her daughter) not only add more interest, they also flesh out the supporting characters. I also agree with Massena that the Bradford/Fey storyline adds an intriguingly dark note to the comedy. And the Suarez plotline sounds like it will touch on hot social issues as well.

On a shallower note, I'm really looking forward to seeing that makeover tonight! :D

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 2:38 PM

*waves back*

I want to see the Wilhelmina story too. It sounds interresting.

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 8:34 PM

The preview for the next episode didn't look like the description of "Swag" at all. Any idea how the corporate spying and the guy hitting on Betty for inside info fits into "Swag"?

Black Cat

Black Cat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2006 @ 10:48 AM

According to TV.com (not sure how reliable they are), the next ep is "Fey's Sleigh Ride," not "Swag."

Synopsis:

After Mode is forced to abandon its big Christmas photo shoot because another magazine has copied the idea, Betty forms an uneasy alliance with Marc and Amanda. The three fear they may have leaked the idea to someone at the rival mag. Meanwhile, Daniel and Wilhelmina reluctantly work together to come up with a new photo spread as Mode's deadline looms, and Betty's nephew, Justin, is oblivious to the turmoil as he spends a day at the magazine for a class project.

They have "Swag" as episode 6, with "Lyin', Witch and the Wardobe" as Episode 5.

Rhys Coiro (Vincent Bianchi) is listed as a guest star for "Fey's Sleigh Ride." I'm hoping he's not the leaker because I want him around long-term as a friend to Daniel and a friend/possible love interest for Betty.

And Justin at Mode! How cool is that?

Edited by Black Cat, Oct 15, 2006 @ 9:48 PM.

MoondustWolf

MoondustWolf

Posted Oct 16, 2006 @ 1:36 PM

A *very* quick scene from next week, courtesy of the Megan Mullally show, which Eric was on:

*Daniel and Wilhelmina are in an elevator. The setting is rather awkward*

D: “Okay, this’ll be our secret”
W: “We’ll work with each other to fix it. I’ll start with the leak.”
D: “I’ll tackle the new spread”
W: “Perfect…we’re in this together.”
D: “…Are you as creeped out as I am?”

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2006 @ 3:29 PM

Apparently, this "Sofia" we have heard about will be played by a familiar face:

Hayek to Appear in Ugly Betty Arc
Source: ABC
October 16, 2006

Executive producer Salma Hayek will go in front of the cameras for a multi-episode story arc on "Ugly Betty," ABC's new hit comedy. The role marks Hayek's first appearance in a network television series. Her first guest starring appearance will be in the "Ugly Betty" episode "Trust, Lust, and Must," airing Thursday, November 2 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. She'll appear in three more episodes throughout the month of November.

Hayek will play Sofia Reyes, a newcomer to the Mode scene who will leave a lasting impression on Daniel Meade (Eric Mabius) and Betty Suarez (America Ferrera).

"Ugly Betty" stars America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, Eric Mabius as Daniel Meade, Alan Dale as Bradford Meade, Tony Plana as Ignacio, Ana Ortiz as Hilda, Ashley Jensen as Christina, Becki Newton as Amanda, Mark Indelicato as Justin and Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater. Recurring guest stars are Michael Urie as Marc and Kevin Sussman as Walter.

Based on "Yo Soy Betty La Fea," the groundbreaking Colombian telenovela that became an international phenomenon, "Ugly Betty" is from Touchstone Television.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

From Soapnet TV press release about airing some Ugly Betty episodes

"The Lyin, the Watch and the Wardrobe will air on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28 at 12:00 noon and 12:00 midnight, ET. Its Halloween and Betty is in for a series of frightful experiences -- ranging from showing up dressed for the Mode costume contest . . . only to learn there isnt one, to dealing with her growing attraction to Henry (guest star Christopher Gorham, Jake 2.0), while a jealous Walter fumes -- and, worst of all, tracking down a watch Daniel left at one of his many girlfriends apartments (he just cant remember which one). Meanwhile, Daniel pays a visit to his mom (guest star Judith Light, Whos the Boss?) in rehab, and Wilhelmina is horrified to learn that she cant fit into a designer gown. This episodes original premiere is on Thursday, October 26 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network."

mswyrr

mswyrr

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 6:09 PM

Daniel pays a visit to his mom (guest star Judith Light, Whos the Boss?) in rehab

His AbFab mom is trying not to drink and keeps her snarky attitude about their guests.

I'm beginning to see an unsettling pattern here. The revelations about Daniel's mother have me looking back at the scene in "Queens for a Day," where he glups down a glass of wine under pressure, with suspicion, and connecting it up with his behavior in Four Thanksgivings and A Funeral Spoilers, where he "ends up drinking up a storm...to the point where Betty has to be called to get him home," because of his embarassment and disappointment re: Sophia.

Are they setting up a future problem with the devil's water for Daniel, I wonder? Or have I watched too many episodes of The O.C.? (Kirsten Cohen's long alcoholic descent started with funny, pressure-induced wine drinking, too!)

Just a little wild speculation.

Edited by mswyrr, Oct 19, 2006 @ 7:22 PM.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 6:32 PM

Here's wilder speculation (and to be clear, it is spec., not spoilage) but Daniel is drunk and feeling rejected in one of the last episodes of November sweeps and it is Betty who goes to get him and take him home. To me, that set up is designed for some inappropriate drunken boss-assistant behavior that would be awkward the next day when sober. Maybe just a little something to start up the shippers? Maybe the man-whore is so drunk, he forgets himself and makes a pass? Maybe he just doesn't like to be alone?

Maybe I'm reading too much into the set up, but why else have Betty have to rescue the drunk and depressed Daniel?

MoondustWolf

MoondustWolf

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 6:54 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into the set up, but why else have Betty have to rescue the drunk and depressed Daniel?

Simple answer? Because she cares about him and doesn't want to see him kill himself trying to drive home. I suspect you're right, though. Still, I'm not too woried. I *really* doubt they'll have them jump into bed together. My thinkings are more along the lines of, if anything, him mumbling nonsense at heer while she debates between disapproval of him being drunk and protectiveness over him being upset.

mswyrr

mswyrr

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

I like your spec, Massena1! It is a bit wild, but intriguing. I'm not sure I really want to see it go very far, though: I think I'd prefer Betty and Daniel to be as uncomplicated and happy in their friendship for as long as possible. I hate to think of their relationship getting all upset just so you(?) and I (and other viewers of like-mind) can have the pleasure of watching Daniel be adorably pathetic and Betty try to rebuff him as kindly as possible. However, it's a heck of a lot of fun to think about.

Edited by mswyrr, Oct 19, 2006 @ 8:14 PM.

Anakela21

Anakela21

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV I like: Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy (sometimes), House, WWE (yep- chick that watches wrestling), cheesy Lifetime movies, Desperate Housewives (not season 2), My So-Called Life, Lost (season one), Silk Stalkings. TV I don't: 'reality' tv- I don't do Survivor or American Idol or any of that...although I did enjoy the first season of Queer Eye. I am also into movies, theatre, the Dixie Chicks and Metallica.

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 12:04 PM

Daniel pays a visit to his mom (guest star Judith Light, Who's the Boss?) in rehab

I am very excited for the Judith Light- was never really a huge Angela Bower fan, but Judge Elizabeth Donnelly rocks. :)

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

I think people misunderstood my spec. I wasn't thinking they'd sleep together, just that Daniel might make a pass/ kiss her or otherwise do something to hint at the possiblity of romance. If Daniel is drunk he could forget, but Betty could remember. Or Daniel could feel awkward afterwards, say something rude about how drunk he must have been to do something like that and unintentionally hurt Betty's feelings? I just think something like that would set up some romantic tension in their relationship and based upon how the other versions have gone, I could see them putting something like that in during their first sweeps to let fans of the other versions know that they are eventually going to go there.