1-2: "Special Delivery" 2006.09.27 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

130 replies to this topic

Mr. Sobell

Mr. Sobell

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 7:14 PM

From our good friends at TV Guide: "The Cains receive a package in the mail that leads them to believe that another one of their children might also be in danger. Meanwhile, Conrad meets with his father to delve into their family history and gain perspective on why they are being targeted."

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

This probably won't be the first time I type this about Kidnapped, but I'm a little confused. Did Aubrey's kidnapper have a connection to Mr. Cain or his father?

The casting on Aubrey was fantastic. She looks just like the younger sister.

Unclebuck

Unclebuck

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

Tonight's episode was interesting, I think it gave us an idea of what the show is going to be like. It certainly won't have the breakneck pace of a show like 24, and they will have a "mystery" that wraps up every week. I still like it a lot. But I would imagine some will say it was too slow tonight, but I liked it.

In a lot of ways the show is more about the people who find missing people than it is about the people who are missing. I did like the scene at the end. Mexico ? interesting

Edited by Unclebuck, Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:05 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:07 PM

I like the "every episode is one day" thing they seem to have going on; very Twin Peaks-like. I just hope they can sustain it.

applemoon

applemoon

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:09 PM

I wasn't expecting Leo to be in Mexico. So that was interesting.
I was confused about the guy who kidnapped Aubrey knowing her grandfather. Would her grandfather really hire a violent criminal to kidnap his granddaughter? That just seems a little off to me.
I was so excited to see Anthony Rapp playing the creepy prisoner at the beginning! Hope he's a recurring character.

nalonem

nalonem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I love this show. I'm not sure I trust the young FBI guy, though.

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

This is my favorite new show. It's based partly on my hope that what we've been told is true -- that nothing we're seeing is necessarily true.

For example, Tooms has had The Accountant killing off his minions as soon as they've outlived their usefulness. So as soon as this week's Bad Boy lets Tooms know he's in trouble, what happens? The FBI shows up and the most boyish, naive looking guy on the team shoots him dead. Now he can't tell anyone what else he knows about Connie's father and the old neighborhood. Too convenient if you ask me.

Yes, yes, I know I labeled boyish naive FBI boy as a cliche last week. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Anyway, Jeremy Sisto's mysterious phone call dragged me right in to this week's episode. Did I catch what was going on -- an old nemesis; someone who kidnapped a girl and Knapp never found her? And he somehow knows about this kidnapping?

Love Jimbo. Nice bit of comic relief, but still in tune with the show.

Little bits of business showed quality -- like Knapp smoothly handing Little Cain her spoon at breakfast. I appreciate stuff in the background like that.

And -- a great ending. I'm definitely hooked.

Special

Special

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

I like the 'Leopold in Mexico' bit. Fat lot of good French will do him there. And, if he can't escape, he'll have to devote time talking to his captor. This aspect of the show interests me.

I was flicking between 20/20 and Project Runway, so I need to watch it again.

Pants Ninja

Pants Ninja

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

Either I've forgotten how to predict crime drama, or the people in charge of this show are smarter than me. I like that. Here I was expecting a second season-long kidnapping, splitting time between Leopold and Aubrey, like there wasn't enough tension already - and instead they rescue her by the end of the episode. I find it kind of cool that they're getting rid of possible ways of racking up the suspense - it makes it look like they've already got plenty planned ahead, and I like that in a tv show.

catperson

catperson

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:37 PM

Awesome! It gets more involved! Nothing is what I expected! I had set up what I thought it would be in Spoilers, and it was nothing that I expected. I thought in the previews it was Leo who was tied up in that loft, it sure looked like his clothes. Wow. Mexico! How do you get out of that?

Loved how Leo tried to distract the kidnapper when he came in for the food tray, so he wouldn't notice the knife was missing.

Don't know why, but I was shocked when they showed Cantrell was working for Bouncing Ball Guy. Loved when BBG said we have a contingency for when Cantrell was made, and I said, "Yeah! A bullet!"

My husband questioned why Leo would run up to those guys, and I said, he's still a kid; they're taught to go to adults when they're in trouble. Was he limping at the end, though? Walking across that bridge? Where did the bridge come from? He was running on rooftops.

Kaylee529533

Kaylee529533

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

It wasn't until Timothy Hutton said "Connie" that I realized that he played a Conrad/Connie in Ordinary People years and years ago. That jolted me out of the show and threw it all off stride for a couple of minutes, I thought "wasn't that his name in Ordinary People?" for the rest of the show! That kind of thing is a mistake in my opinion--he should have had a different name.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 10:59 PM

The casting on Aubrey was fantastic. She looks just like the younger sister.

And the brother "matches" too -- nice job. They're either paying attention to details or they got lucky.

I'm suspicious of the new FBI guy too. But isn't it stretching credibility that he's assigned to the unit that ends up tracking that particular case? The kidnapper had to trust that the Cains would call in the FBI, even though they were told not to. So maybe it's not about the money?

If Knapp and King were suspicious, they sure didn't show it.

Leo in Mexico? The kidnapper has his own plane?

I love this show. I hope all the twists and turns hold together.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 11:07 PM

I am enjoying this so far. I like the casting. They got really good actors/actresses to play the kids. Based on what I saw last year on Commander in Chief, that is no mean feat. So far none of the kids have annoyed me. I liked that both Leopold and Aubrey are working on holding thier breath. I am assuming that is going to come in play at some point in time.

Have they said what type of medication Leopold takes? Since he is not actually taken it, life should get interesting for him soon. Unless he has not been taken it for quite some time. I would like to know if it is an anti-depressant, something for ADD (I don't think that is it), or something for a bad heart.

I like how they are slowly working in the other pieces of the story. The shady past was a nice, even if slightly predictable, touch. So we have the poor kid meets rich women and they get married dynamic. I don't think that the Grandfather is actually involved. I think that the kidnapper knows about Mr. Cain's past and is pulling those strings in order to divert attention away from the real reason for the kidnapping. Next week we should see the FBI looking into Mr. Cain's past and tossing that neighborhood. That should do a nice job of diverting attention away from Mexico.

It looks like they have plotted this out nicely and that things are going to unfold in a fun way. Good stuff. And it is reairing on Bravo and at least one other NBC affiliate, not to mention the website. So it should be easy enough to keep up with the series.

I wonder how long they can keep the little girl out of the loop?

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

The kidnapper had to trust that the Cains would call in the FBI, even though they were told not to.

But the Cains didn't call in the FBI, did they? They called in Knapp, who's a "freelancer." The FBI got involved because Virgil went missing, and the friend/relative came to Lindo because she was instructed by Virgil to go to Lindo if anything ever happened to him. The FBI got involved because they were looking for Virgil, and happened to find out his disappearance was tied to a kidnapping.

I'm embarassed to admit that when Lindo was telling the rookie about the day he had a gun pressed to his head and was saved by a rookie, I did not guess it was Sisto until Sisto told the rookie his story. Just didn't see that one coming. Nice one.

Edited by OLucy, Sep 27, 2006 @ 11:48 PM.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 11:49 PM

Oh good point! Now I'm trusting the rookie FBI guy again.

Unless it's a given that the FBI would get involved, because of Virgil getting shot, and being a friend of King's. But that's way too convoluted.

Better to just trust the new kid.

JuliaGulia

JuliaGulia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 12:07 AM

Nah, I think New FBI Guy (Atkins?) is totally in on the kidnapping. I totally agree that it was all too convenient that he shot Aubrey's kidnapper before he could give them any information.

I am really, really liking this show so far. I like that Knapp and King help each other out a bit. It would get really old if they were constantly antagonizing each other in every episode. Makes sense to play on both their strengths.

Where have I seen The Accountant before? He looks really familiar. Off to IMDb...

godforbid

godforbid

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 12:17 AM

I totally wasn't planning on watching this show, but I was too lazy to change the channel after Biggest Loser and wound up getting sucked into this thing upon seeing Anthony Rapp in the opening scene. I liked the reveal that Leopold is in Mexico; didn't see that one coming. And as for the sister, she is too right. You can't trust anyone not to steal your chocolate chip pancakes.

Edited by godforbid, Sep 28, 2006 @ 12:19 AM.

ConanGrammarian

ConanGrammarian

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 12:21 AM

Anyone else get a "Keen Eddie" vibe from the scene/act transitions with the quick camera shots and zooming sounds?

bellis

bellis

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Loved the cinematography in that last scene (in Mexico) reminded me of "Man on Fire". That completely surprised me. Did not have a clue that they took the boy out of the country. Is Mykelti supposed to be back in the storyline? Knapp's female collegeague soo familiar. Did she used to be in another TV series?

[The X-Files geek in me is very happy to see another XF alumnus in this ep = Anthony Rapp]

Csondra

Csondra

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:02 AM

Really enjoying the show.

I'm not too sure what to think of the convenient killing of the kidnapper, either. We'll just have to keep an eye on Rookie McSureshot and see if he does anything else suspicious-like.

As for the whole Mexico thing, I was surprised, but now I wonder if they're in Mexico at all. It just seemed like it was too clunky just to let us know where they are (why not show us a sign instead of throwing in bad dialogue?). Part of me hopes the guy was just saying that to scare the kid into submission.

Electric Monk

Electric Monk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:11 AM

I got to say, I found it hilarious Jeremy Sisto explaining 1337speak to Delroy Lindo. Even more hilarious was the idea that a hard-partyin' college girl would sign her emails with it. Did anybody else laugh out loud at that?

The rest of the show was pretty great. Still love Sisto's character, and the reappearance of the Accountant was cool. I'm looking forward to seeing if Leo and his captor develop some kind of bond now that he saved Leo from a bunch of Mexican street toughs. Can you say Stockholm Syndrome?

skittl3862

skittl3862

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:15 AM

I'm like 90% sure that the actress who played Cantrell's ex was in Red Light Winter off-Broadway this year, but IMDB is sucking with the episode cast list. Red Light Winter was written by Adam Rapp. Whose brother is Anthony Rapp. Oooo.

The roommate kind of looked like a younger Rosie Perez with better diction. I know I've seen her in something before, but once again, IMDB is lacking.

Thank GOD this older sister isn't as lame as the older sister was on Vanished. Yeah, she picked up the wrong guy, but she got out of there as soon as she figured stuff out. As a normal person should, especially when stalking and the kidnapping and potential murder of friends and family is involved.

I never considered that the rookie FBI agent could be in on it. I just thought it was the Feds fucking things up again like last week. It does make sense. I also didn't pick up on the fact that Knapp was the rookie that shot the guy holding a gun to King's head until someone mentioned it here, but someone came into the room at this point, so I couldn't really hear.

How the hell did they have time to get Leopold all the way down to Mexico set him up in the house AND give him enough time to dig a tunnel if it's only been a few days? That is, unless the Leopold scenes don't necessarily synch-up with the scenes back in New York they're interspersed with, I guess that's not necessarily guaranteed in this show.

The 1337 thing was cute to see Jeremy Sisto explain, but highly unrealistic. I think people stopped actually using that somewhere around the AOL monopoly, and no college student- especially the girls that do coke and hook up with gang members at bars- would still use that these days.

Edited by skittl3862, Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:19 AM.

miatalover

miatalover

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:16 AM

Better to just trust the new kid.

Has XF not taught you anything?!?!
TRUST NO ONE! ;)

Sorry, with all the XF alumnus in this ep, I just had to say it. :)

SalonKitty

SalonKitty

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:22 AM

But I thought that was why the camera panned backed in that last shot, Csondra, so that we could see the rest of the landscape and realize that what the henchman said was true. I mean, it sure didn't look like New York, anymore.

I'm really curious to know how Connie's past will tie in to the kidnapping, but I agree with the person who said they didn't think the dad was in on it. Obviously, the kidnappers know who to go to if they want someone working against Cain. It's a good move to have the family wrapped up in so many secrets. Lot of layers to peel back here.

Man, I am really loving Sisto in this. I find the chemistry between him and Lindo really works. In that bar scene with the rookie cop, I had to give my head a slap when Knapp told him he'd shot someone his first day. Of course he was the one to save Delroy! How could I not see that coming? They had me thinking about that one for a minute and the beat was perfect.

SunBurn

SunBurn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:30 AM

Can someone explian the 1337 thing? I wasn't able to catch all of it. Also, did anyone else have problems hearing the dialouge because the background sounds were too loud? I was very upset because I love listening to Sisto's voice, heh.

Electric Monk

Electric Monk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:42 AM

Can someone explian the 1337 thing? I wasn't able to catch all of it.

Basically it is internet jargon where you replace letters with numbers/punctuation that resembles the letters replaced. 1337 is LEET, short for "elite". In my experience, it is used mainly in either an ironic sense or by people who think it is cool to mangle the English language.

Here's a good website about it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A787917

Geewiznit

Geewiznit

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:55 AM

After giving most of the new dramas a try, I have to say I'm so impressed with the elegant plotting and classy execution of this show. More, please.

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

• Interests:Buffy, Firefly BSG, Dexter, VM, Supernatural, True Blood, Castle.

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 2:18 AM

I wasn't too sure about this after the first episode but I really got caught up in it tonight. I love all the twist and turns that are keep coming.

Whoever is behind this seems to have lots of money so I see no problem in having a private jet to take the kid to Mexico.

I suspected the rookie agent too until the speech about how another rookie was the only one didn't hesitate to take the shot.

bluemagic

bluemagic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 2:31 AM

So in the first episode I caught the "24" billboard in the ending city montage. Did anyone catch... the "Bubba Gump Shrimp Co." sign when Sisto was being watched by the driver with the camera?

Perhaps a slight nod to Mykelti's presence in the show? Maybe we can start up a game of "Spot the TV Show/Movie Reference" in all the panning around shots of Sisto?

Overall, liked this episode quite a bit... but I worry that the audience for this show is diminishing quickly. Hope it sticks around.

thingything

thingything

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 7:13 AM

I missed the first episode but this won me over. Good storytelling, which means any cliches, silliness or implausibilities are kept within the realm of acceptability.

Plus they spotlighted Slake's Limbo in the scene between the daughter and the bodyguard. That is an excellent kids book, the type which is written so a 6th grader can understand it, but it works easily well as an adult novella with a minimalist style. It's about a resourceful kid who lives in a subway tunnel after being abandoned...but told in a fascinating style. I recommend it.

It has become a popular book amongst a certain type of well read kid, i.e. like our kidnap victim, since it came out in the 80s and early 90s. For this alone I have an affection for the show. Someone who knows that book knows kid who read, even if the reference might be a tad out of date - although books often have a longer cultural life than other media and if it gets a boost from Kidnapped, awesome.