Heroes: The Online Comic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2002 replies to this topic

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

Has anyone checked out the online comic addendum at NBC.com? It's pretty cool. It fleshes out Mohinder's motives and his arrival in America, and why he's driving a damn cab. This will be fun if they keep updating and adding more online issues!

TAPhD

TAPhD

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

Mohinder's father was Mr. T!

Edited by TAPhD, Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:56 PM.

Nitefall

Nitefall

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:03 AM

Hmmm, seems there are some supervillians too. One tore apart Mr. T's cab right?

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

Looks like that to me.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 3:56 PM

Where are the Hostess Twinkie ads? Or the ones for X-Ray specs?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:02 AM

Nice background story. Is this an ongoing thing? Maybe they can rotate artists. No slam on Michael Turner, but he's not my cup of tea.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

And he doesn't really seem to fit with the more realistic--or as realistic as superpowered types can be--story that they're telling.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

I'm not a big Michael Turner fan either, but he is popular. Between him and Tim Sale, the show's not cheaping out on the comic artists they hire.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

Between him and Tim Sale, the show's not cheaping out on the comic artists they hire.

I hear that. If it's an ongoing thing, they'll probably wind up rotating the artists. Hey, maybe around the end of the season, they'll collect it in a trade paperback. (And it'd be really cool if they could get Alex Ross to do the cover.)

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 6:36 PM

Any Alex Ross "Heroes" stuff would be brilliant. Of course, he's famed for making comic book characters look more realistic, so what's left to do with the cast?

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 3:19 AM

That is what Ross is famous for, but I was looking at some minature statues (action figures without moving joints) made from his designs and he's got a terrific sense of design in addition to his skill at a dynamic, photorealistic style. Hell, "Earth X" and "Kingdom Come" were half just excuses for him to redesign the MU and DCU, respectively.

Oh, I wonder if the writing staff has any comics writers on staff.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 3:24 AM

Well, Jeph Loeb would be one, but I'm not sure if he's writing as well, or "just" an executive producer.

As for Tim Sale, I read somewhere that he likely won't do much on the online comic because apparently it would violate his contract with DC. They get away with using his art on the show because that's mostly paintings, but he can't really do comics for them.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 6:23 AM

I am really glad they explained the cab thing through the comic. It wasn't a necessary plot point. And the condition of the cab is interesting - shows that his dad's death isn't so cut and dry after all.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

Well, there seemed to be some cutting, but I doubt that it was dry.

From what I've read, Loeb is writing as well as producing.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 5:10 PM

Is he? Tim and Loeb work well together.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 5:18 PM

Oh, they're a perfect team. Like Waid and Ross.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 4:31 AM

New issue is out. Five pages, not counting the Nissan ad and first page that was reused from last issue, and there's one glaring error: the two locations for Hiro are swapped so according to the comic, he teleports from Tokyo to NYC instead of the other way around.

Other than that, well, eh. I think the story is a little trite. The Action Comics #1 reference makes no sense, and I think the art, esp in the "I know what I must do!" panel, undercuts the story by making Hiro look like a demented grinning fool, which I don't think was the intent.

Ethos

Ethos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 4:49 AM

and there's one glaring error: the two locations for Hiro are swapped so according to the comic, he teleports from Tokyo to NYC instead of the other way around.

Are you sure that's an error? Because it looked to me like it was just a recap of what happened last episode, and then when you move on to the actual comic, it talks about teleporting back to Tokyo from NYC just as the blast hit.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 5:03 AM

But he's seeing the explosion, with the two cops behind him, in a location labelled "Tokyo" ... and suddenly he's in the train and it's labelled "New York", which is the inverse of what happened on the show.

Edited by arc, Oct 3, 2006 @ 5:03 AM.

Ethos

Ethos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 5:08 AM

No, he's watching an explosion in NYC and on a train in Tokyo. I just looked at the comic again (unless they had an error and fixed it before I was able to view it a few minutes ago).

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 6:35 AM

Ah, it's fixed online. I was going off the PDF version, which is still (at the moment I write this, anyways) not fixed; didn't realize they differed.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

Wow. Touching. Still not used to the Aspen-style art, but it's very poignant.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

It really is poignant. That final panel got me all misty and stuff.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 4:40 PM

Yeah, it got to me, too, especially once you consider how much the Japanese people respect and revere their ancestors.

CaveatLector

CaveatLector

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 12:15 AM

...any particular reason why Hiro has to ransack his room for a comic he should know darn well is worth over a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS?!

...love the show and the story...but this is getting to me...

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 12:47 AM

It's gotta be a reprint. He can't just rip out a cover (look, there's the panicky guy!) and turn it into art. I know American and Japanese cultures are different, but destroying valuable property is sick.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 6:52 AM

I thought the same thing about the Action #1 and what it's worth, but then I turned off my suspension of disbelief and reminded myself that it was only a drawing of the book, anyway :) Incidentally, for any Heroes fans who aren't conventional comic-book fans (if any of you wander into this thread), Action Comics #1 featured the first appearance of Superman, hence the six-digit pricetag.

Has anyone found any easter eggs in the Flash presentation of the comics? They've been hinting that there might be surprises in there. I tried scanning my mouse over the pages, but nothing jumped out at me.

ETA: Check the splash pages of the two comics for easter eggs; I found one in each. Thanks to Wikipedia for indicating what was there.

Edited by MarkHB, Oct 4, 2006 @ 11:39 AM.

Magus

Magus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 10:39 PM

When they get to Niki's comic, they ought to get Greg Land to do the artwork.

SistaKaren

SistaKaren

Fanatic

• Interests:being awesome.

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 11:20 PM

Heee. But who will he photo reference to draw Micah?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 3:05 AM

any particular reason why Hiro has to ransack his room for a comic he should know darn well is worth over a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS?!

It's gotta be a reprint. He can't just rip out a cover (look, there's the panicky guy!) and turn it into art. I know American and Japanese cultures are different, but destroying valuable property is sick.

I thought the same thing about the Action #1 and what it's worth,

Remember, we're dealing with our time-traveller now. It's entirely possible for Hiro to go back to 1938 and buy another copy for his collection. (I was about to suggest that he'd get several and sell them for a profit, but that's not the super-Hiro way...)

Check the splash pages of the two comics for easter eggs; I found one in each. Thanks to Wikipedia for indicating what was there.

Easy to find, and pretty cool. In each comic, use the controls to zoom in on the page with the eclipse behind Mohinder surrounded by smaller images of our heroes. Then click on that page. You'll be shown a line drawing that's actually a preview of the next issue. The egg in #1 was a page out of Hiro's story in #2. The egg for #2 seems to indicate that #3 will be about Nathan Petrelli.

Edited by SVNBob, Oct 5, 2006 @ 3:22 AM.