19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62589 replies to this topic

LiaMA

LiaMA

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 4:24 PM

It seems like Jordyn has been completely cast aside by Jimboob and the DQ and it just breaks my heart. They are never even shown interacting with her. The only time she had with Jichelle was under that horrible smothering Brest Friend.

I noticed something in one of the recent episodes; someone else was holding Jordyn (of course) and DQ cooed at her like she was someone else's baby. Like you'd coo at a friend's child or a cute baby in the grocery store, you know? Complete detachment, like she's not even her child.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

Hey does anyone else think that Jim Bob looks like George Thorogood? Same big ass teeth, same potential for bad hair.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 5:24 PM

Jim Bob said they prayed about the decision to buy it. That just strikes me as odd. I can understand praying about important life decisions, but buying a harp??? Either you can afford it, or you can't. Pretty simple.

The Duggars pray about everything, so that didn't sound strange to me. However, I totally don't get how they're supposed to know what answer is the right answer. Say they prayed about the harp, and Jim Bob, Jana and Jill thought God was saying "yes," and Michelle and Jessa and Jinger thought God was saying "no." I mean, they surely aren't hearing audible voices (right??) so how do they know what they believe God wants them to do? Do they get like a feeling or something? And what if those feelings are in direct contradiction with other people's feelings?

Pennybrooke

Pennybrooke

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

Something tells me the only one who really receives the official "answer" is Jim Bob. The rest are praying that JB gets the answer they want, and JB probably prays and gets the answer HE wants.

tvmakesmesew

tvmakesmesew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 5:38 PM

As missbooklyn so astutely pointed out with the reference to Her Highness, J'babymama has to be the Queen of SOMETHING. Isn't that the "happy ending" for princesses like her?

Well, we know Jboob has had at least 17 'happy endings'. Let's hope there's not too many more for him or the DQ any time soon if at all.

agree with the posters who think that the men from the Bates family aren't good enough for Jana. Actually, the longer Jana postpones a courtship announcement, the more I think to myself "YAY!!! Jana's biological clock is ticking!!! That's one less child she'll have!"

I hope that she'll just get tired of waiting around for a parent-approved courtship, or she'll watch Anna with Josh and realize that marriage will only lead to further enslavement and then leave. Jana seems like a very sweet girl, and I would hate to see her rejected by her family, but she doesn't strike me as enough of a Kool-Aid drinker to want 20 kids.

Do the kids write stories or poems, draw pictures, examine books beyond the surface level?

One of the twins (Jer or Jed) really loves to draw. I remember this from the '20 Years, 20 Duggars' episode. Joy knits (very traditional female activity, but it counts as a craft), Jana likes to sew (or she did on the old episodes- I doubt she has time for any hobbies now). Still, I would love to see more creative toys for these kids. Growing up I loved dress-up, building blocks, and any kind of art supplies. Dance lessons were a favorite of mine too- but we all know that will never happen for the Duggars (if Jinger breaks free and makes it to Canada, I'd like to give her a private pole dancing class).

What saddens me is the lack of literature or popular music. I don't mean current pop music, but the classic stuff. I bet these kids have never heard The Beatles or even Frank Sinatra- and they've probably never read any real literature (To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Brave New World, the list goes on). As a teen, music and literature really opened my mind.

18 Kids and Counting
Every time the show gets a little sluggish in the ratings, Jim Bob Duggar sires another vampire child and raises it to think that the world outside is a dangerous place.

Hilarious, but sadly true.

*Edited because funny typo- 'fart supplies'.

Edited by tvmakesmesew, Apr 2, 2010 @ 5:40 PM.

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:04 PM

Rewatching the episode where the younger kids and Jill and Jessa, along with Spongehead, go to the park (Look at the big family going to the park!), and I have to ask-I know all they hear and sing is Gothard-approved music, but can we please have a song that isn't about blood? I remember the lighthearted ditty they sang at the ATI conference last year; it's through the bloOOD! that Jesus shed for me! Now, on this episode we're treated to preschoolers singing about how they've been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb! Washed clean I am! All in very happy, peppy time. Aren't there any cheerful Gothard-approved songs? It's kind of creepy to hear Hannie and Jackson, with Jenny lisping along, singing about blood all of the time.

edited because I needed to fix my many typos. SOTDRT does not teach correct keyboarding.

Edited by missbrooklyn, Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:06 PM.

bw480

bw480

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:15 PM

Well, we know Jboob has had at least 17 'happy endings'. Let's hope there's not too many more for him or the DQ any time soon if at all.

Squick!

If Josie does go home, there is no way that she will be able to develop healthfully! Even the kids who weren't preemies aren't getting the proper care and stimulation, so a child with special needs is screwed.

Would or could doctors act as an adivict for Joise if they see her health slipping? Or if things got bad with her how far can the gov go onn her behalf? I have found myself wondering these things here lately, and seeing if any TWOPers have any insight.

Until recently, I worked in foster care. If you are talking about medical neglect, it is incredibly difficult to prove in court. Also, "the government" you are referring to is the Arkansas state government. This is the same government that JimBob was elected to, and Michelle received the mother of the year award from. Also, Arkansas tends to lean more towards a parent's right to privacy than in the interest of the child. No doubt, the government in AR will never intervene with the Duggars. They are their claim to fame and precious family.

Edited by bw480, Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:17 PM.

naduah

naduah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:36 PM

The Duggar children have never been allowed to read the classic books. That is a HUGE hole in their education. I'm thinking "To Kill a Mockingbird", The Jungle" "A Tale of Two Cities" etc, etc. Why do they choose to shelter their children so completely? There is a big world out there.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:40 PM

Jim Bob said they prayed about the decision to buy it. That just strikes me as odd. I can understand praying about important life decisions, but buying a harp??? Either you can afford it, or you can't. Pretty simple. And knowing Mr. "so tight he squeaks when he walks" there was enough money put away to buy multiple harps.

I think praying about it meant that they prayed until -- voila! -- a great harp at a cheap price (cheap enough that Jim Bob would agree to buy it) surfaced. I guess they'd believe that their prayers were answered because it was a lovely harp at a price he was willing to pay.

mountvernoncc

mountvernoncc

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 7:44 PM

I have to ask-I know all they hear and sing is Gothard-approved music, but can we please have a song that isn't about blood? I remember the lighthearted ditty they sang at the ATI conference last year; it's through the bloOOD! that Jesus shed for me!

Funny that you mention that, they also sang that song at Grandpa Duggar's funeral.

tatortotcassie

tatortotcassie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

Why do they choose to shelter their children so completely? There is a big world out there.

Actually, you've answered your question right there. It IS a big ole world out there and it's full of evil people doing terrible, terrible sins (like dancing to music with a beat!) and if they don't shelter their children from the world their poor, innocent children (some of whom are already legal adults) might be tempted to stray from the path of Gothard/ATI-approved living.

Their protection goes from putting blocks on computers to shouting out "Nike!" -- their codeword to warn the boys that there is an approaching female who is scantily clad, i.e. exposing her collarbones and knees. Incidentally, it seems that the boys need to be protected from themselves moreso than the girls because boys, as J'chelle so pithily put it, are influenced by what they see.

IMOutrippin

IMOutrippin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

The Duggar children have never been allowed to read the classic books. That is a HUGE hole in their education. I'm thinking "To Kill a Mockingbird", The Jungle" "A Tale of Two Cities" etc, etc. Why do they choose to shelter their children so completely? There is a big world out there.

The scariest thing is that there are people in this country (breeding like crazy) who are giving the same education to their children. They are bringing this country back to the 1800's. IMO, please don't get upset with this, it really is no better than the Taliban (without weapons and death of course).

Last night on HBO, I watched Afghan Star. Afghan Star is the afghani version of American Idol. During the competition, a female contestant danced while singing her song. Everyone went crazy mad and she even had death threats. The woman just made a several steps left and right, but she was considered a whore who was trying to arouse sexual feelings in men. It reminded me of the Duggars.

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

she was considered a whore who was trying to arouse sexual feelings in men. It reminded me of the Duggars.

The Duggars and their misogynistic beliefs sicken me. Women are nothing more than breeders and house slaves to them. I also find their special phrase 'keeper of the home' to be hilarious. Why not just call it a home maker, or SAHM? Since, in essence that all of these women are? 'Keeper of the Home' is just sounds so awkward and weird.

Not only that, but their asinine (my favorite word to describe everything 'Duggar') views that toddlers dancing will lead to impure thoughts is also sickening. Dancing is natural. The Duggars always have to make everything about sex, whether or not that is their intention.

Why do the the Duggars suppress everything that is natural? I'm talking about dancing, creativity, independent thought, puberty/hormones, normal emotions etc. ?

Oh yes, and one more thing: I'm sick of how many times Jana, Jill, etc talk about how staying at home with the children and doing housework for their parents is a good way to train to be a "Keeper of the Home" for their future husbands. Seriously, they've been saying this for how long? How much effin practice do the girls need? You'd think by now they'd get the hang of sweeping the floor and changing diapers by now. I'm pretty sure they've got the hang of making tater tot casserole by now. Time to move on to new things ladies.

Edited by lola212005, Apr 2, 2010 @ 10:38 PM.

vocamesmom

vocamesmom

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

I, too, am amazed at how little knowledge DQ has about what is going on with her body. If she would read materials from "outside" sources, she might know that the fat content of breast milk varies from the start to finish in any given feeding session. (fore milk vs hind milk) I didn't know this when I was feeding my children, but we didn't have pumps back then (30 yrs ago) and there wasn't as much info available on the subject, as even the medical field was less knowledgeable. There is no excuse for not ignorance in today's world - I can't believe the Doctor didn't call her out on this one.
And just to clarify, the "Breast Friend" that is attached to DQ while nursing a baby is the trade name of the pillow, which straps around her waist. It is meant to be used more when sitting, to aid in proper positioning, but under normal circumstances does not hinder breathing or anything else. In conjunction with the pillow, DQ uses a privacy cape - in her case looks like an apron tied around her neck - which we refer to as a "hooter hider." I must admit, the only people I have seen use one are either feeding twins (where they pretty much have to let it all hang out) or on TV (Pam in "The Office"). I must admit that in all my years, I have never really seen a breast feeding mother "wear" her baby like a not-so-fashionable accessory/appendage :(
I think we all need to put Duggarland in perspective when it comes to aspirations for the children - how are they to know what is out there if they are never exposed to it or allowed to experience it? They exist in a totally sheltered, controlled environment. When they are subjected to life, it is as if they were on the inside of the fishbowl - the world can see in, and they can see the world, but the two different environments never come in contact with each other. How are they supposed to know that women can do things other than be brood mares if they have never known any other type of women? How are any of them supposed to know that college is an option if it isn't an option for anyone else they normally interact with? The only potential careers they know are what their parents and fellow Gothardites teach them, mostly by doing. Guess what I'm saying is we want more for them because we know ther is so much more out there in the world, but in reality, they can't want what they don't know.

bw480

bw480

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

The Duggars and their misogynistic beliefs sicken me. Women are nothing more than breeders and house slaves to them. I also find their special phrase 'keeper of the home' to be hilarious. Why not just call it a home maker, or SAHM? Since, in essence that all of these women are? 'Keeper of the Home' is just sounds so awkward and weird.

There is some verse they use that the terminology comes from...Hold on, I'll look it up.

SEE HERE

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 3:04 AM

I think the crap they eat more than enough provides in that category.

I wonder how the hell ANY of the new babies in this household ever got any sleep with all the little hellbeasts running around and screaming. Poor Josie - going from an environment where even her stimulation levels are closely monitored into that hornet's nest.

Girlsrule

Girlsrule

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 5:21 AM

I just read on DWOP that Josie is coming home on April 6. Shudder.

Can you imagine that tiny, sensitive baby surviving in that "hornet's nest" (exactly, McKay!)? Just makes me shudder to think about it, especially since all Michelle does with her newborns is smother them under the breastfriend, and the infants carried around, first by the older daughters, and then by anyone and everyone, including four year old Hannie, or down the stairs by a seven year old brother. Shudder again.

Someone on DWOP also said that the old episodes keep getting edited, to edit out all the criticism that people here, there (and everywhere) discuss. I am too lazy (and not interested enough) to go back and look, but apparently, the Joyanna hanger throwing, and Anna's response to "Do you like your Josh's sisters?" (or whatever the question was) have both been either edited out or changed. This is not the first time Sean has gone back to alter the reality. Curious, no?

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 6:58 AM

I must admit that in all my years, I have never really seen a breast feeding mother "wear" her baby like a not-so-fashionable accessory/appendage :(

Lol, but this is Jchelle Duggar, whose entire identity is wrapped around birthin' and nursin'. This is exactly what she does, complete with hooter hider labeled "Mother"-as if we couldn't see that.
Those poor girls. No options at all, with only trips to the Creation Museum (or other such approved places) to relieve the monotony. The kids' reaction in the Ethiopian restaurant said a lot about even the youngest's mindsets.

Victorian Xmas

Victorian Xmas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 7:58 AM

Not only that, but their asinine (my favorite word to describe everything 'Duggar') views that toddlers dancing will lead to impure thoughts is also sickening. Dancing is natural. The Duggars always have to make everything about sex, whether or not that is their intention.

I remember that when I was a toddler dancing the first thing I thought about while I was dancing was I want sex. Dosen't every toddler think about sex while dancing.

Sonavida

Sonavida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

Someone on DWOP also said that the old episodes keep getting edited, to edit out all the criticism that people here, there (and everywhere) discuss. I am too lazy (and not interested enough) to go back and look, but apparently, the Joyanna hanger throwing, and Anna's response to "Do you like your Josh's sisters?" (or whatever the question was) have both been either edited out or changed. This is not the first time Sean has gone back to alter the reality. Curious, no?

When they put online the episode with Joy's hangers this scene was on. I did not see the original but you could still see her throwing the hangers in a very teenage way of I don't care and I want to be elsewhere. Jill seemed still to be unhelpful and not knowing what she should do and picking up the hangers thrown in her direction.

I don't remember if Anna says she's best friends with the girls but the question was asked...

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

This is not the first time Sean has gone back to alter the reality. Curious, no?

Ugh, what bullshit. Hey, Sean, if you want to address our criticisms, tell the Duggars what we think and document whether or not they change their behaviors accordingly. I'm guessing they won't, but that's not really the point. Seriously, do these people have no fucking integrity or honesty?

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

This is not the first time Sean has gone back to alter the reality. Curious, no?

Not surprising. TLC did the same thing with Jon & Kate Plus 8.

Josie coming home this week?! That's scary. I fear for that little one!

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

Normally, when you hear of a preemie finally being able to go home, it's good news, and you are happy and excited for the family. In Josie's case, it's just plain scary.
So many questions: Is she still on a feeding tube, or can she take a bottle, or even the breast?
Will she need a breathing monitor at night? SIDS is a big concern for preemies.
Will they be able to keep her safe from the little ones?
Will they be able to keep her safe from viruses? The image of Jordyn in the hospital at 6 weeks keeps on coming
back to haunt me. An infection like that could be lethal to Josie.

I hope she can take the bottle, but not the breast. Don't like the idea of her being smothered under that ridiculous "modesty cape". I hope the doctors have seen the show, and told Michelle that this will not do for Josie.

And I hope that poor Jordyn and Jennifer will not be totally forgotten when their baby sister comes home. They are already receiving much less attention than they should.

bw480

bw480

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

Just another reason why it's plausible to think that he reads this board. The question is: Is he putting shots in there for us (like Jana eating the pickle) or intentionally removing shots that show the QF/real life of the Duggars?

tvmakesmesew

tvmakesmesew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 1:45 PM

Someone on DWOP also said that the old episodes keep getting edited, to edit out all the criticism that people here, there (and everywhere) discuss. I am too lazy (and not interested enough) to go back and look, but apparently, the Joyanna hanger throwing, and Anna's response to "Do you like your Josh's sisters?" (or whatever the question was) have both been either edited out or changed.

I didn't get to see "Driving Miss Duggars" the week it aired, so I had to watch it the following week. I'm pretty sure the hanger throwing was edited out because I don't remember that part (I was looking for it too, b/c I read this forum).

I think the crap they eat more than enough provides in that category.

SNAP!!

Edited by tvmakesmesew, Apr 3, 2010 @ 1:45 PM.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

Don't like the idea of her being smothered under that ridiculous "modesty cape". I hope the doctors have seen the show, and told Michelle that this will not do for Josie.

Gee, maybe Jchelle could actually be modest and nurse Josie off camera, in the privacy of her bedroom! Of course nobody would get to see her....I for one would like to see her practice what they constantly preach. Okay, be modest, but don't do it at the expense of this fragile baby, smothering her under yards of fabric that are for YOUR identity!

PrincessFenyx

PrincessFenyx

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 4:38 PM

I understand the cape in public, at home not so much. And the breast friend looks terribly hot and uncomforable. Michelle is just lazy. I do not understand to need for either the cape or breast friend at home. Leave it to the Duggars to turn something as beauitful and normal as breastfeeding into something sexual. If a boy can not look at his mother feeding their sibling as sexy that kids is f-ed up. That is just plan werid IMO.

Sonavida

Sonavida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

I understand the cape in public, at home not so much. And the breast friend looks terribly hot and uncomforable. Michelle is just lazy. I do not understand to need for either the cape or breast friend at home. Leave it to the Duggars to turn something as beauitful and normal as breastfeeding into something sexual. If a boy can not look at his mother feeding their sibling as sexy that kids is f-ed up. That is just plan werid IMO.

ahah that's strange because I think it's the one thing they are consequential with. Your breasts don't stop being sexual when you breastfeed. They have multiple use, and still have a sexual use during the months of breastfeeding. No, the act of breastfeeding is not sexual, that's not what I am saying.

Now, men, boys, women and girls too ;) are supposed to be able not to rape the first person arousing them they see ! No matter if they aroused by a breast showing, the hair, the arms, the knees, etc.

Add : and I think it would be harder for them not to look as they are always sheltered from seeing most of the body, they only see theirs and I am sure they are not told anatomy.

I think we should worry about Josie lacking air under the breast friend when we know for sure she can breastfeed. Can she ? Really ? Do babies born at 25 weeks usually breastfeed ?

Edited by Sonavida, Apr 3, 2010 @ 5:07 PM.

Girlsrule

Girlsrule

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 5:03 PM

Why did Michelle have to walk around with Jordyn on the breastfriend, under the cape, 24/7? Poor little smothered baby, with her legs a-danglin'. A *real* discreet and modest mother, who is all freaked out about "mama skin" showing, would nurse in private, off camera. Of course, a real discreet mother wouldn't talk about being a Dairy Queen, or pumping 6 to 8 hours a day, nor show her viewing public her freezer full of breast milk. The woman is completely whackadoodle.

But of course, Michelle is an attention hoor and has to have to everyone recognize her as the World's Most Fertile Mother. How would we not know that if she weren't pregnant or nursing? She might actually have to develop an interest other than simply popping kids out.

nakedbakery

nakedbakery

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 5:17 PM

Did I hear it wrong or did Michelle say she had 750ml of breastmilk stored and frozen? Then the pop up said something about how 750ml is 1/5 of a gallon. So either it was actually saying each container was 750 ml or she actually has 750 oz and the producers are making fun of her too...

Preemie feeds are commonly measured in ml. 750 ml is not that much considering that 30 ml is 1 oz. At one point I had 700 oz. in my freezer after pumping for my preemie for months. He was able to go to the breast when I was home at 3 months, but I still had to pump at work to keep up with his daytime demands.

Also, NICUs commonly supply the Breast Friend pillow, which does not in any way smother an infant, just prop them up so your arms don't get tired. It's just like the Boppy only I didn't like it much.

I would worry more about Josie next winter if that family wasn't so isolated a lot of the time. Plus there's no doubt she'll be eligible for Synagis, so that will significantly reduce her risk of RSV, and she'll be old enough for flu shots by the time winter comes around.