19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62458 replies to this topic

Peach218

Peach218

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

I just re-watched the Huckabee segment on YouTube as well as the clip from when JimBob and Michelle were on the View. It's AMAZING how word-for-word a lot of their answers are. Is it just me, or is their answer to the question about why they chose to have so many kids pretty much verbatim on the two shows??? I swear they have a script or teleprompters!

JennB

JennB

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Who wants to write the Bateses and ask them to add an extra "es" to their website?

I thought the Duggar women were not allowed to cut their hair ("a woman's crowning glory") at all.

I was just thinking today that I wish they would make an exception and cut their hair to donate it to Locks of Love.

Jordyn was so adorable on Huckabee. It's nice to see her so alert and happy after all these episodes of her just sitting around, doing nothing.

Backpack

Backpack

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

Jordyn was so adorable on Huckabee. It's nice to see her so alert and happy after all these episodes of her just sitting around, doing nothing.

It's good to see her breathing. She's probably ecstatic to be out in the light and open air vs. hanging limp-legged from that breast-feeding tent that J'Michelle keeps putting her in.

Jamie38

Jamie38

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 11:29 PM

Edit to add (in response to literaleigh - great name btw!) I am in agreeance about Anna's hair. It looks lighter. May she put lemon juice on it and stood in the sun for a while. If you're a normal person (not a Gorthardonian) you listen to your doctor's advice. Some doctor's advise against coloring your hair while pregnant because some studies have linked the chemicals in the dyes to birth defects. The research I've seen in conflicting, but better safe than sorry.

There are pregnancy safe hair dyes. I believe they're made with vegetables rather than harsh chemicals. Or maybe her hair just gets lighter in the summer? I didn't actually see the episode though so it's hard to tell.

aleeseeyah

aleeseeyah

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:11 AM

It would never happen, but Howard Stern has a way of getting people he interviews to give more info than they meant to. Of course, the Duggars would have to be hypnotized to do anything remotely close to that.

And JB's hair looked like one whole piece. I couldn't even seen any hair strands, just one smooth piece of hair.

I hope they have good pipes, because the amount of hair that goes down the drain when the girls wash their hair must be astounding.

PlathsDaddy

PlathsDaddy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

The perms Anna had will also lighten mousy light brown/dark blonde hair. I know that one from experience. I noticed she's stopped perming the hair and cut it a bit, thank goodness. As I suspected, the poor girl has baby fine hair that probably won't grow very long before it breaks.

She's been free of that breast friend and released to her buddy (apparently Joy) for just over a month now. It was sad that J'Babymaker had absolutely no interaction with her at all on Fuckabee. She really DOES give them up once they're weaned. Not to worry, if she's on schedule, she's due to get knocked up in September.

Check out the Bateses' site again. The site may be under construction, but check out the links they posted. If a courtship ISN'T brewing, I'd be shocked.

Mxytdvc

Mxytdvc

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:45 AM

Long (very very long) time lurker, first time poster.

I was just thinking today that I wish they would make an exception and cut their hair to donate it to Locks of Love.

Off topic, but Locks of Love doesn't actually donate wigs to kids with cancer. They make them for kids with alopecia areata and other conditions which cause a permanent or long term hair loss (chemo treatment doesn't count as long term). They've also (apparently) only made 1,000 wigs....ever.

Now, more on topic:

From the interview, I think it was funny asking the Duggar clan to compare themselves with J&K...because I can think of tons of reasons why they are different, with having only 2 sets of ages in the kids vs each one spread out...

Also, it's good to finally see Jordyn, and not her legs.

GothicRose

GothicRose

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 1:18 AM

Oh yes, they all definitely had hair and makeup done for the show, thus no plastered and greased bangs with the crunchy home perm. Jichelle's mullet was tamed and she actually looked good. I didn't think JimBoob's helmet could get any more helmet-like!

I think that the hair and makeup people didn't even try to combat that helmet of hair on JimBoob's head. It's been permanently Aqua-netted! I didn't like the amount of makeup on J'Chelle's face, but at least there wasn't the huge amount of pink blush on her cheeks and nothing else!

It didn't surprise me at all that Huckabee asked the same tired questions we've heard a trillion times before. I think that the J'Duggars have someone talk to the interviewer and flat-out say "these are the questions we want you to ask us and nothing else." That way they can continue to be seen as "normal" and not be confronted with the more unsavory aspects of their lives (ie Gothard).

I was half amused and half annoyed with J'Chelle tried to say that everyone in the family cooks, including the jboys. I'm sorry, but the only evidence we've seen of this is JimBoob grilling during the ATI conference. And she flat-out admitted that the older girls are actually mothering the younger jkids. It's sad that Jordyn has already been passed off to her buddy. I would have thought that since J'Chelle thinks that this could be her last jbaby she would have kept it longer. Sadly, Jordyn is past the 6 month mark and I guess no longer appealing to J'Chelle. That being said, thank gods that Jordyn wasn't trapped under that blanket thing. I don't understand why J'Chelle thinks it's appropriate to nurse on a damn float but not ok to nurse in a studio.

The only props I will give to Huckabee is that he passed over the name announcement. I think that Smuggar was a little upset that his "old friend" wasn't more excited and giving him the spotlight and attention he's come to expect. I think that since he got such an ass-kissing from Meredith, who barely really knows him except for appearances on the show, he was expecting a lot more from Huckabee, who actually knows the family. I think that in addition to the extra food he's eating, the Charlie Brown head that Smuggar is sporting now has been helped by all the attention he's been getting from the media and his own perceived importance and fame.

Ashley85

Ashley85

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 2:13 AM

Alright... finally got caught up on 50 or so pages... my eyes are going buggy!

I just heard about the name today, and I have to say, even though I hate the way Mackynzie is spelled... after doing a search on babycentre for spellings with a pronouciation of Mackenzie ... there are WAY WAY worse spellings... For example:

Those with a fear of vowels might enjoy Mycknzy or M’Cknzy…
For those who particularly enjoy the letter “q”, perhaps Maquensie or Mehquenz is for you…
Those of you who like the same vowel repeated, then Mikinzi or Mykynzy would be ideal…
Those of you in the southwest might prefer Maekinzee
Those looking for something just plain weird will like Macency or Machancy

And those of you who know what the Smuglets true status in life will agree that “Ma’Kenzy” is actually the most appropriate spelling, seeing as for future smuglets, she will actually be “Ma”.

I suppose we can expect Mackynzie's future sisters to have names like Madisyn, Madelyn, Mykayla, Morgyn, etc.

Don't forget about Megyn and Mykynna and her brothers Mychael, Myller, Martyn and Matthyw.

Very quick OT edit b/c I don't want false info out there for anyone considering this...

Locks of Love doesn't actually donate wigs to kids with cancer. They make them for kids with alopecia areata and other conditions which cause a permanent or long term hair loss (chemo treatment doesn't count as long term).

They DO actually donate to kids who've lost hair to chemo, as I know many who have recieved them. This is also stated on their website.

Edited by Ashley85, Aug 3, 2009 @ 2:19 AM.

mintyfresh

mintyfresh

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 2:50 AM

Ashley85, those alternate name spellings actually made me a little nauseated. And we thought Mackynzie was bad! Those are perfect examples to refute the belief that names can't be misspelled. I can't believe people do that to their own babies.

I think that the J'Duggars have someone talk to the interviewer and flat-out say "these are the questions we want you to ask us and nothing else."

If true that is extremely savvy of them. I doubt we'll ever see a truly candid interview from the Duggars, and considering the current media spectacle going on with America's other favorite family maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

Ovaltine

Ovaltine

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:13 AM

Josh totally did the Bates site. Apparently he knows only one template.

LazyLazy

LazyLazy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:44 AM

Oh, yeah, that website is Smuggar's handiwork. The visuals are nice, but the title ("Lots of Bates") is confusing. Unless their real last name is Bate. Or they mean the possessive form but couldn't work an apostrophe into the url. (Lots belonging to the Bates being Lots of Bate's, I mean.) Or, Joshie is just a dumbass.

motheroftwo

motheroftwo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:48 AM

I have on occasion watched The Duggars and even though there are so many of them, it is not unusual for families with as few as four children to have the older ones help with the younger ones. They were, I think, the first program to showcase the large family life. As long as they are self-sufficient and law-abiding, let them be.

moreorlessnu

moreorlessnu

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 5:44 AM

Jichelle actually equating the boys making bread with the girls doing all the rest

Baking bread = Watching Grandma Duggar put Pillsbury cinnamon rolls on a baking sheet and begging her to let you spread the frosting on them when they come out of the oven....

makesnosenseilc

makesnosenseilc

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 6:16 AM

What is it about arch conservatives and helmet hair? So many of the conservative Republican senators (John Boehner--sp?--is an example) have that shellacked within an inch of its life look.

Peach...totally agree about the Huckabee piece and the Duggar by-rote responses. It's like they have a set script they never divert from and end up saying the same stuff over and over and over again.

Edited by makesnosenseilc, Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:23 AM.

hezzy1

hezzy1

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 8:41 AM

The reason Michelle's hair looked shorter on the sides is because she had her hair cut into layers not because her bangs are growing out. I was a hairdresser for years and know what this looks like. It also looks as if someone with not very much experience did the cut. One of the older girs perhaps?

In my experience as well, Locks of Love would never take the Duggar's hair because it has been chemically treated by using a home perm. They try to say that they will take all hair but in reality it has to be at least 10" in length and completely natural (never having been colored or treated). They will never admit this publicly because it may affect the donations they recieve!

tnskyhawk

tnskyhawk

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:39 AM

The family looked overall good on the Huckabee show. Was there a point to them being on the show? Unless they were just there for free trip/publicize their own show, there was no major news from the Duggars.

I wonder if Josh and Anna will ever use Mychelle as a name for a daughter?

ChicagoGirl30

ChicagoGirl30

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:51 AM

The girls can donate to locks of love...

http://www.locksoflove.org/donate.html

IowaMom

IowaMom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

Who wants to write the Bateses and ask them to add an extra "es" to their website?

Me! Me! Pick me! Smuggar's sure not a good advertisement for the School of the Dining Room Table. If there's more than one Bates -- and, boy howdy, there sure seems to be -- the title, "Lots of Bates," is wrong. "Lots of Bateses," while more cumbersome, is correct, as others here have pointed out. Seriously, Sean, make him change it; it's wrong and makes him look stupid and naive.

The reason Michelle's hair looked shorter on the sides is because she had her hair cut into layers not because her bangs are growing out.

She didn't have all of it cut into layers, though. A side view showed the whole length of long mess in the back. If you look back at older shows and see what the bangs looked like, I'm still going with that theory. I hope she decides to cut all of it to that length.

Didn't Michelle say long ago that the girls' crimped-looking hair was a result of their sleeping in wet braids, not the result of home perms? Correct me if I'm wrong. (Not defending the look either way, mind you!)

And those of you who know what the Smuglet's true status in life will agree that “Ma’Kenzy” is actually the most appropriate spelling, seeing as for future smuglets, she will actually be “Ma”.

So true, unfortunately.

So are we in agreeance (!) that the Bateses' Web site is another indicator that someone may be a-courtin'?

Edited by IowaMom, Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:45 AM.

Peach218

Peach218

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

If Josh is the one creating the Bates family website, the links to the Duggar's website and Josh & Anna's website may just be another one of Smuggar's hog-the-attention/hey-look-at-me tactics rather than a hint of a Bates/Duggar courtship (although I would love to see a Bates and a Duggar paired up). I just find it kind of funny and ironic that those are the only two links on the website that are active and working! So typical.

IowaMom

IowaMom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

As long as they are self-sufficient and law-abiding, let them be.

I don't think anyone is bothering them; the fact that they've opened their lives up to the cameras makes them part of the public domain; therefore, they're snark-worthy, IMO. You know, like "Jon & 8 Plus Kate!" (Way to be all over those pop-culture references, Mr. Huckabee.)

One more comment on the interview: Did anyone else catch the fact that Spongebob said something almost funny? For the life of me, I can't remember what it was now. I'll have to watch again.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

Didn't Michelle say long ago that the girls' crimped-looking hair was a result of their sleeping in wet braids, not the result of home perms?

IowaMom, I remember that, too. Maybe back then she meant that slightly crimped look to the hair whereas now it's more defined curls as a result of the perms.

So are we in agreeance (!) that the Bateses' Web site is another indicator that someone may be a-courtin'?

I was thinking more along the lines of a deal with TLC or some other kind of publicity. Now that they've been seen on the Duggars' show, people may be curious about the Bateses.

Backpack

Backpack

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 11:27 AM

I have on occasion watched The Duggars and even though there are so many of them, it is not unusual for families with as few as four children to have the older ones help with the younger ones. They were, I think, the first program to showcase the large family life. As long as they are self-sufficient and law-abiding, let them be.

The older girls aren't just helping. They're raising their younger 'buddies' from age 6 months on and do practically all (if not all) of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and packing for the family. Don't know how much sleep they get since the babies sleep in their room after being passed off by their biological mother and they have to deal all night with any feedings, diaper changes, fussiness, and illness.

The family is questionably self-sufficient. Before TLC signed them on there were 16 1/2 of them (J'Michelle was pregnant) living in a house with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Many of us have wondered why Child Protective Services didn't step in. Progress on building their current house was going very slowly - it ultimately took over 3 years and that was with the help of TLC and other sponsors.

While they seem to be generally law-abiding, I think JimBob's fake kidnapping stunt qualifies as an exception. He thought it was funny. Some of the family 'pranks' - including that one - seem outright cruel and I can only wonder what other such stunts didn't make it to TV. Also, the children have been seen put in harm's way on the show many times. Protecting children is the responsibility of the parents. You don't let a 4-year-old boy go to the bathroom by himself in a metropolitan airport (he got lost and they didn't even notice), or let a child run a gas line for a house between his legs, or let children rollerblade around a house - especially during a blackout when there are generator lines running across the floors of the house. These are just a few examples.

Pennybrooke

Pennybrooke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:05 PM

IowaMom, I remember that, too. Maybe back then she meant that slightly crimped look to the hair whereas now it's more defined curls as a result of the perms.

Maybe. I know in a more recent episode they definitely talk about the girls giving home perms, and have some dumb producer math about how much they save doing so.

Also, regarding Michelle's hair - she's growing out a mullet. Not bangs, not layers. A mullet.

Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Regarding Locks of Love - they do donate wigs to kids with cancer. On their site, it says:

Q. What are some of the medical conditions of the children you help?
A. Most of our recipients suffer from alopecia areata. Others have experienced hair loss from radiation therapy and chemotherapy, severe burns or trauma, and various other genetic and dermatological conditions.

Why should we "leave [the Duggars] be"? They are the ones that have opened themselves up to criticism by displaying themselves on a weekly television show. Actually, I think this board is very classy in that posters generally criticize only the people that really chose to be on the show - JimBob, Michelle, Josh, and to an extent, Anna. I don't know if any of the younger kids could look at a specific event and say, "that shouldn't have been on tv" but I do believe that they are being exploited, to an extent.

At some point it became apparent to JimBob (and maybe Michelle) that a lot of money could be made through television. I wonder if there would have been less kids if TLC didn't exist. I guess you could look at the Bates family and say that the Duggars would have 18 kids today regardless of the show.

Peach218

Peach218

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

Surely Michelle doesn't expect one of the older girls to get up with a fussy baby during the middle of the night. If Jordyn has been weaned, does that mean she's been moved out of JimBob and Michelle's room and into the Girls' room? Jordyn is what, 6 or 7 months old? She's going to start teething soon, if she hasn't already, and a teething baby doesn't sleep well (or maybe she's been "nighttime trained" to know that when she's in a dark room she doesn't make a peep. I mean if you can train a baby not to crawl of a blanket, why can't you train her to not cry when the lights are off?). And if Jordyn has been breastfed on demand, can she really be on a regular sleeping schedule? Or maybe part of the Duggar weaning process is finally getting the baby to sleep more consistently?

I hate their buddy system, but this passing a 6 month old off to a buddy and requiring said buddy to be solely responsible for that baby is absurd and negligent. What normal mother is content to only bond with and take care of her baby for 6 months before essentially giving him/her away? I just don't get it. It makes my heart ache for all the women who so desperately want a baby but can't get pregnant or carry a baby to term. Michelle, IMO, has been so spoiled with babies that now she loses interest after a few months. It reminds me of a spoiled child that loses interest in a new toy after only a few minutes because he has so many other toys and knows that newer toys are right around the corner. Michelle gets bored, births a replacement that gives her joy and fulfillment for a short while, gives that one up after the new wears off, and then starts over. Ticks me off.

Edited by Peach218, Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:35 PM.

cynicallyyours

cynicallyyours

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

I finally saw the Huckabee piece--ugh. Very old footage from an earlier special--what was up with that?? And, gee "we'll ask the kids" and guess what?? They told those clever little stories that had been carefully scripted and filmed on TLC....really "revealing"--NOT!

I think it was in the book or an interview that they claim to bake all their own bread [a common thing in their circles]. So, the boys CAN bake bread--let's see it!! I'm with the poster above who said spreading frosting on canned sweet rolls doesn't "count" as "cooking."

I've also noticed that although the kids are better dressed they seem to have about as many different outfits as Wally and The Beave did. That one little boy is always in the pink polo with the blue stripes [my teenage son jokes that it's the same one he gave to Goodwill!!].

I secretly hope that one day, Jinger or another girl or two, will get up at the crack of dawn to grind the wheat for the daily bread and will slip into the family close closet/room and pull on a pair of her brother's jeans and a tshirt, go out to the "pretty" kitchen, pull up a stool and light a Marlborough just for the hell of it and see how long before anyone notices!

I really thought JB/J'chelle looked very nervous while talking to their old friend Mike. And, I figure whoever had the little one making faces [Johanna??] as a buddy probably got a severe punishment for her misbehavior!!!

For the God-knows-how-many-th-time: JOSH AND ANNA you do NOT need to TOUCH constantly! It's GROSS. We get it! You can now hide the sausage whenever you want to! We're happy for you--we just don't to watch.

LilibetP

LilibetP

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

Speaking of names, if any of the kids ever use the letter "H", Huckabee Duggar would be cute.

buckeyechick47

buckeyechick47

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

For the God-knows-how-many-th-time: JOSH AND ANNA you do NOT need to TOUCH constantly! It's GROSS. We get it! You can now hide the sausage whenever you want to! We're happy for you--we just don't to watch.

Are they super glued together? I wonder what would happen if someone forced them to stop touching/holding hands? Would J'Anna perish from lack of hand sex or would Smuggar be the one to die from it? Enquiring minds want to know!

LilibetP

LilibetP

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 1:29 PM

The interview:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Tqy1q0Qibrs

OMG!!!! I absolutely loved Johanna at 3.18! So funny!

Their pranks aren't funny. Making a cameraman think that a real baby has just been dropped is flat-out sadistic

Yeah, if that bratty, badly-behaved, obnoxious little monster demon-child had done that to me, I'd have turned him over my knee.