19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62588 replies to this topic

IowaMom

IowaMom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:40 AM

Guys, this is horrible. Speculating on which kid will be gay and no doubt ostracized from their family?

Besides, smart money is on Josiah.

All speculation aside, I do wonder what will happen to the kids in the family who (statistically speaking) more than likely have to be gay. My guess is that the ones who are will remain closeted around the family ... and that they'll most likely be the ones who leave the compound and make their lives somewhere else.

I'm thinking Jinger and Jedidiah.

Wikipedia indicates that John David was married on July 3, 2009, and Jana is engaged. Any chance this is true or do you think someone entered false info?

I don't see this anywhere on Wikipedia ...

Ralar

Ralar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:54 AM

Wikipedia indicates that John David was married on July 3, 2009, and Jana is engaged. Any chance this is true or do you think someone entered false info?

I don't see this anywhere on Wikipedia ...

It was there last night. I guess my question was answered. As I suspected, it was false info.

IowaMom

IowaMom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

But Jana just seems so unhappy,so withdrawn all the time...

I don't get "unhappy and withdrawn" from her. She just doesn't seem to have much of a personality, IMO.

Just watched the video clip of Joy-Anna driving. Someone help me, please. Between the episodes about Grandpa's death, the girls' wisdom teeth, and now this, I'm coming uncomfortably close to liking Jim Bob.

buckeyechick47

buckeyechick47

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

Don't worry JimBoob will do something or say something soon to make you not like him again. It's only a matter of time.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:00 AM

Going back several pages to the baby name choices, the first Micah I ever knew was a girl. However, since then I've only known male Micahs. I kind of want them to choose the name Mary just because it's so biblical and boring and to me their children don't deserve cool names like Makiah, Mariah, Mia or even Madeleine.

Although, if Josh and Anna ever have any boys, can one of them please be named Murray?

socagal33

socagal33

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

LOL buckeyechick47!

Forget the gay thing, I wonder which girl will get married, move far away from mommy and daddy, and then start making her own decisions and like those decisions? Like Anna's sister who lives in Texas and is not having a bus load of kids. I say Jinger is the first one to wear pants.

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

It looks like JoyAnna went from one driving lesson imperiling a whole carload of people, to driving without an adult in the vehicle at all. I sincerely hope that it was only a result of the miracle of editing that this was so. Aside from that, I'm liking Jim-whatever better also, but we're not getting the whole picture either. I'm pretty sure he can be a tough patriarchal disciplinarian when he feels the occasion warrants it, as this appears to be part of his Quiverfull responsbilities. We know how well he fulfills his other Quiverfull responsibility, so I'm guessing he takes all this stuff pretty seriously.

socagal33

socagal33

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

I said (a few pages back) that I hope they name their baby girl "Michaela" as a nod to Anna's dad since the letter "M" is a nod to J'Smugger's mom. But I think the child will be named "money."

countressrascal

countressrascal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

This show is getting boring, the same story line just with a different child. Reruns all the time. Come on get a different story line something new and excitting. I did love the line that JimBoob starts off the children learning how to drive the lawn mower, it is safe. No it is not, your children do not wear any eye proctection, sun protection or have proper supervision. Some day they are going to have a tragic accident. Prayer will not help you at that time.
Maybe the reason Jana looks withdrawn, is that she wants to date instead of courting. Or that JimBoob and Mbabymaker told her that she has to wait to court until she is 20, and she found someone that they don't think is good enough for her. I was hoping it was because she wanted to go to higher education away from the compound and they said no you have to be the buddies/mother to the new little one, because we are having more.

buckeyechick47

buckeyechick47

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 11:11 AM

I can totally see Jinger being the first to break free. I believe she'd retain her conservative values but switch to a less strict religious sect. I can't see abandoning everything completely (tho it would make me laugh if she did) but I could see her being the first to bust out a pair of skinny jeans.

IowaMom

IowaMom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Although, if Josh and Anna ever have any boys, can one of them please be named Murray?

LOL

I say Jinger is the first one to wear pants.

I'm thinking maybe Jessa as well.

I'm also hoping that by the time the little ones are teenagers, J-B and Michelle will be too old and worn out to give a rat's ass, and Johannah will be slamming body shots off some cowboy with a six-pack while Jackson and his girlfriend are off getting matching tattoos before meeting up later to watch Jed perform as Miley Cyrus in the local drag show.

Edited by IowaMom, Jul 7, 2009 @ 1:40 PM.

Tybee

Tybee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 1:52 PM

Of course, Sarah doesn't mean just any "life purpose". She is definitely not referring to seeking after a career. Our culture, driven by the modern feminist movement, is pressuring us as girls to be successful in the world's eyes, get graduate degrees, be independent, move up in the business world, have small families, and do men's work. This standard of success that the world pushes does not compare to the calling God has for our lives as wives and mothers. God made us to be helpers to our husbands and to bear and train little ones for the kingdom of God. This is far more important and fulfilling than any career could ever be.

You know, I can see the point of the above and can understand somebody coming to want that. If that, in the end, is what you chose and believe it, I imagine it would be unbelievably fulfilling. The big point, as always, is Michelle Duggar chose. The children are not given the choices. Inevitably, though, I can't see how the whole big world could be kept from someone's knowledge. Even if the parents don't like it, won't the kids just find out about different opportunities anyway and then make a choice? As some have pointed out, the exposure that they get from the show is probably bringing them experiences and situations they might not otherwise have. Perhaps the parents have said "this is our point of view, what we believe. We would like the children to follow in our footsteps. However, if they don't we will still love and support them." If so, then I have no beef with them. And of course, I don't mean if the kids go off and do awful things...just a more secular lifestyle. Perhaps this has been their thinking all along. Does anybody know?

Also, I believe Jessa (I hope I've got the right one, the one who murmured "good morning") is the likely first to break free. Her look tells me "get over yourselves" and, come on, even in Fundyville she has to know she is beautiful.

First boy should be named Mordechai! That would ROCK! btw, I think Mary is also a beautiful name, simple, feminine, classic.

Edited by Tybee, Jul 7, 2009 @ 1:55 PM.

PlathsDaddy

PlathsDaddy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

I'm going with either Mary Michelle or Michelle Mary, which honors both Grandma and Great-Grandma Duggar. There's a Michaella in the Bates brood, so I don't know if they'd go that direction, leaving that name for whichever Duggars end up with Bates, particularly Michaella herself, who (IIRC) is the oldest daughter.

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 2:54 PM

I'm still hoping for Mary Lee, after Great Grandma Duggar and poor, departed, shoeless Great Grandpa (Jimmy Lee) Duggar. If they name that poor Smuglet JimmySue or something similar, I swear I will physically stop the delivery of tatertots to Arkansas permanently in solidarity with the Smuglet. JimmySue, JimmyJosh, JimmyBobette, JimmyAnna-so not happening, right?

edited because proofreading before posting is a good idea.

Edited by missbrooklyn, Jul 7, 2009 @ 2:55 PM.

crazelady19

crazelady19

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

Gotta add my two cents on the names...

Myrna
Minnie
Mimi
Mabel
Martha
Myrtle

First boy....
Menacham
Myron
Morris

sweetsue

sweetsue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 3:23 PM

Mariah or Maria or Mackenzie or Morgan or Maia... WHY M??? For heaven's sake!

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 4:08 PM

I'm actually hoping they're punking us all and don't use an M name at all. I hope they go with something normal, though. No Biblical monikers like Bathshebah, or trendy ones like Nevaeh, okay?

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 4:12 PM

I say Miriam for this girl and Moses for the first boy. Perfect, since in the Bible Miriam was older than Moses. But they wouldn't be able to fit in Aaron.

woodscommaelle

woodscommaelle

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 4:18 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a kid named Jesus yet.

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 4:29 PM

There is no Jesus because JimStupid don't speak no Spanisho. Jesus is usally used in Latino communities, as far as I know.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 5:04 PM

Would they even be able to pronounce Menachem or Mordechai? My BF's name is Hebrew and starts with CH and everyone who isn't jewish mispronounces it as a K or the anglican Ch.

Wait, what am I thinking? If they chose one of those names, they'd either misspell it Menahem/Menakem or Mordehai/Mordekai or pronounce whatever which way they want to pronounce it just like poor Jinger.

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

There is a new webisode Where Joy-Anna learns to drive

How cute! I really like Joy-Anna's spunkiness. Although, I was waiting for her to crash that cart into one of those expensive vehicles...

All of the Duggar boys and girls seem to be following their assigned gender roles without too much fuss, but there are a few that ping my gaydar, especially Jeremiah.

I think you mean Jedidiah (I think....)

Nope, I mean Jeremiah. It's something about the way he talks, and the fact that he wants to be an artist when he grows up. Of course, Jed could very well be gay, too. They are twins, albeit fraternal ones, but they shared the same womb, which makes it more likely that they might share the same orientation. Naturally, this is all just speculation. My gaydar doesn't work that well on preteens, and children can change rather dramatically during puberty. That said, I do think it's rather likely that at least one out of the eighteen will end up not being straight.

I have a question about tonight's episode. What exactly is a ministry? Jim Bob and the Duggar daughters are headed to Fort Rock Family Camp, which bills itself as a ministry. I was always under the impression that ministries were set up to convert nonbelievers, but a lot of them appear to focus on families that already espouse Christian beliefs. Since this is the case, what makes them ministries rather than just general religious groups or organizations?

MissDaffodil

MissDaffodil

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

Nope, I mean Jeremiah. It's something about the way he talks, and the fact that he wants to be an artist when he grows up. Of course, Jed could very well be gay, too.

Oh really? See I always thought Jeremiah seemed very boy-ish (not that that means anything)...I'm going to have to start paying more attention. Jeremiah always has a devlish glint in his eye which I love in contrast to the pretty Jedidiah (whom I also adore). Ugh, why can't they be named Jeremy and Jeff or something though??? LOL

Quacktatty

Quacktatty

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

I think that while Josiah is our first candidate for gay Duggar boy, he will likely end up suppressing it as to not be shunned from his family. He's way too on the bandwagon to let such little things as not being attracted to his future wife get in the way of maintaining his Duggar lifestyle. One of the younger boys, because my bet is on more than one gay son in this family, will be the one to actually live the lifestyle. My gaydar pings for Jed...but Jason and James are up for further review.

Edited by Quacktatty, Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:21 PM.

CCC1983

CCC1983

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

What exactly is a ministry? Jim Bob and the Duggar daughters are headed to Fort Rock Family Camp, which bills itself as a ministry. I was always under the impression that ministries were set up to convert nonbelievers, but a lot of them appear to focus on families that already espouse Christian beliefs. Since this is the case, what makes them ministries rather than just general religious groups or organizations?

Believers can minister to other believers. Mostly in the form of giving them encoruagement/advice when they are going through a rough time in life. Or, probably in the case of the camp, JimBob sharing with (ministering to) other fathers about his own experiences with his daughters, tough times they may have had, and how they got through them.

peaches927

peaches927

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

Joy-Anna pings my gaydar a bit, but it could just be that she is tomboyish, having grown up with so many brothers closer to her age.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:30 PM

That seemed like a REALLLLLY short episode. Was it just me? JimBob keeps gaining points, dammit!

aright

aright

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

Jim Bob was late on this trip yet again too. We are seeing a pattern here.

Edited by aright, Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:41 PM.

bookworm186

bookworm186

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:36 PM

Meriel and Amara could have passed as Joy and Jinger's twins. Did I hear correctly, or did the younger girl say that her father passed away about three years ago, only for the older one to say that the death was twelve years ago?

I'm a little surprised by the shot of the little boys playing around with a beer bottle cutout.

eskarina

eskarina

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:36 PM

Yes it did seem short.Maybe because half the episode was about used bunk beds.

Did I hear correctly, or did the younger girl say that her father passed away about three years ago, only for the older one to say that the death was twelve years ago?

Meriel and Amara were not siblings,I think.

Edited by eskarina, Jul 7, 2009 @ 8:39 PM.