19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62485 replies to this topic

GidgetsMom

GidgetsMom

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 1:26 AM

I don't care how much trash talk there is about this family and their funky clothes, old-fashioned hairstyles, etc. etc., they are better-behaved, better mannered, more responsible and more loving than every one of those brats on Nanny 911, Super Nanny and the wife swap shows put together.

pdiddyduf

pdiddyduf

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

I personally don't think the Duggar children are schooled at home because Ma & Pa are unhappy with the public or private schools in the area...I feel they do this to isolate their children from the outside world. Those kids probably will never stray to far from the compound...and that's the way Ma & Pa want it. It's a cult, IMO.

This is what I was trying to say...
I'm all for homeschooling, and I agree that you can get a crappy education at some public schools, BUT I question how one woman could manage to take care of several toddlers, a baby, and teach all the others, at the same time. I know they have the buddy system, but what about the older buddies? How are they being productive academically if they spend some/most/who knows of their time teaching their younger sibs?

Urizen

Urizen

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

BUT I question how one woman could manage to take care of several toddlers, a baby, and teach all the others, at the same time

The thing is that one should think of what level of education Michelle had when she started up the homeschooling. Since, they are isolated, you know she was not speaking with principals and teachers in order to try and learn more and to be better prepared for the children's schooling.

The one room schoolhouse example is cool, but that was when schooling was taken really seriously. Somewhere, I will have to find it, there is a web page which has old tests and things from the "old days" of the one room schoolhouses. Those one room schoolhouse teachers did a bang up job and were very well versed in multiple subjects.

2. It is John BROWN University, not John Baptist It is a school with a highly respected program for working adults and a great Management Information Systems department. John Brown IS a religious school, but not nearly to the degree these people are. Harding University, which was also mentioned, is rather religious, but is Church of Christ and has some fairly high academic standards. I don't know if the Duggar kids would get in and I KNOW they would be rather ... tainted... if they did. I know too many Harding kids. They had the best illegal smoking substances and knew how to get the best adult beverages.

Do you figure the kid is doing his degree online? Whenever I hear the term "Program for Working adults", I think online degree option, but that is just me.

I hadn't a clue Harding was more liberal. I live in Memphis and we have the Harding Graduate School of Religion over here, for whatever reason, and it is on my list of Graduate Schools. The Harding school for undergrads is in a really pretty area of the country and I had not a clue that it was actually more liberal than they let on.

It would be neat for their to be a doco about their schooling and the like. I think a 'day in the life' type of doco would be neat. All of their specials always center around their housing and how they buy groceries, and a more candid look at their lifestyle would be neat.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2006 @ 12:16 PM

The discussion of the one-room school house brings up an interesting point. The one-room schoolhouse was run by a trained, college-educated, certified teacher, whose only responsibility during the school day was teaching. Not cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping or child-care. Further, I don't recall hearing that Michelle had any formal education beyond high school.
I know that curriculum materials and courses of study can be purchased, but they still need to be taught; and, IMO, you can't teach what you don't know. That puts Michelle at a distinct disadvantage; which, by extension, puts her students at a distinct disadvantage.

Edited by jerseydevil, Oct 23, 2006 @ 4:21 PM.

GidgetsMom

GidgetsMom

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 1:38 AM

The discussion of the one-room school house brings up an interesting point. The one-room schoolhouse was run by a trained, college-educated, certified teacher, whose only responsibility during the school day was teaching. Not cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping or child-care. Further, I don't recall hearing that Michelle had any formal education beyond high school.

I beg to differ here...in the 19th century one-room schoohouses were typically taught by instructors who were only a little older and a little more educated than the students in their charge. For example, Laura Ingalls Wilder, she of "Little House on the Prairie" fame, was only 15 when she taught school before marrying at age 16, thereby ending her career because school marms had to be single.

Unless someone was "reading the law" or studying for a more scientific profession, a college education in rural mid-America was out of reach for most individuals.

Furthermore, while there are those who might take exception to Mama Dugger's qualifications as a teacher, I would be willing to bet her kids are more knowledgeable than a good deal of the kids in the public education system.

Rap541

Rap541

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 6:43 AM

Furthermore, while there are those who might take exception to Mama Dugger's qualifications as a teacher, I would be willing to bet her kids are more knowledgeable than a good deal of the kids in the public education system.

I would honestly need to see some evidence of that. As in, the kids having an intelligent discussion on something other than religion or their family. Its fairly noticable in all of the specials that the kids are being coached. Only in the most recent did we have kids other than Josh speak in an unrehearsed way (thinking of the one J muttering about his shoes) The few times the kids "answer questions", Josh the oldest was angrily insisting that one liking pickles and one not is a true definition of individuality so I am really not impressed.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 9:02 AM

Unless someone was "reading the law" or studying for a more scientific profession, a college education in rural mid-America was out of reach for most individuals.

True - and all that was expected of the one room schoolhouse was to provide its students with basic literacy and math skills. I have no doubt that Ma Dugger is perfectly capable of providing those.
But in these days, when even a high school education is considered less than adequate, and most parents aspire to at least some form of higher education for their children, I stand by my original assertion that one person, with only a high school level of education and no formal training, cannot provide a full, comprehensive education for 16 children, almost all of whom are on different grade levels, while simultaneously running her household. Not without bringing in a lot of outside resources, and apart from the music teacher, we've been shown no evidence of that.

AUgirl

AUgirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 10:09 AM

This is what I was trying to say...
I'm all for homeschooling, and I agree that you can get a crappy education at some public schools, BUT I question how one woman could manage to take care of several toddlers, a baby, and teach all the others, at the same time. I know they have the buddy system, but what about the older buddies? How are they being productive academically if they spend some/most/who knows of their time teaching their younger sibs?

I have a 6 year-old and a 2 year-old--and will not be having anymore. It's so hard to get the 6 year-old to study, do homework every night with only the 2 year-old and cooking supper as distractions. The sad thing is, the 2 year old is usually left with a Thomas DVD in the den to keep him entertained.

I wish I had had the foresight to wait a few more years between kids and the elder could be the "buddy" to the younger. I could cook without distraction. (sarcasm)

Seriously though, someone in that house--the younger kids while Ma teaches, the older kids (having to teach the younger ones instead of focusing on their studies--is missing something.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

It is John BROWN University, not John Baptist

Whoops, that was me. I meant John Brown. I was thinking it was Baptist affiliated, which is what, I'm assuming, the Duggars would want their kids to go to. Then again, they didn't like Shiloh Christian enough to send their kids there, so who knows?

Michelle and Jim-Bob always, without fail, say "our kids keep up with our state's standards."

That's really not saying a lot. Our state standards, while not bare boned, are pretty low. We're hovering around 46th or 47th in the nation. So, ya'll are correct in saying that education is not one of the state's strong suits. However, Northwest Arkansas ranks high (higher than average) in the state. Not that this has anything to do with homeschooling, as I'm not sure how test scores for homeschoolers are graded (whether by area or just added into the mix). But, if they had to maintain certain scores for the area, they would be getting an ok education.

I hadn't a clue Harding was more liberal. I live in Memphis and we have the Harding Graduate School of Religion over here, for whatever reason, and it is on my list of Graduate Schools. The Harding school for undergrads is in a really pretty area of the country and I had not a clue that it was actually more liberal than they let on.

They're not that liberal. Harding is known (around here, anyway) for being pretty conservative. Good school for religious studies though. Also, one of the better schools to go to if you're planning on going to Seminary. I've known quite a few students who have graduated from there.

luvbadTV

luvbadTV

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2006 @ 1:32 PM

I wish I had had the foresight to wait a few more years between kids and the elder could be the "buddy" to the younger. I could cook without distraction.

Well, your 6 year old is fully capable of making tater-tot casserole ;)

priscillarw

priscillarw

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 7:45 PM

I'm new to the Dugger "phenomenon" and am curious as to what religion they are. I've seen both of their recent shows and I'm guessing they're Southern Baptist and very conservative, but the shows never said exactly what they are.

Yeah, and the thought of 16 children absolutely blows my mind. Ma Dugger isn't a wife, she's a human uterus. Yikes. I have one kid and I love her, but life is crazy. I can't IMAGINE 16. Ugh.

I won't put the link up, but the Lydia clothes site is hilarious-for a good laugh, check out the maternity/nursing bathing suit. The best line is "the belt is optional". Gee, thanks. Is the fact that you're covered from head to toe in fabric while at the beach optional too??

I can't wait to see a Real World: Baptist Bible College staring the Dugger girls where they all get WASTED and drunk dial Dad and tell him to put his house, land and religion where the sun don't shine. That? Would be AWESOME!

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

I don't care how much trash talk there is about this family and their funky clothes, old-fashioned hairstyles, etc. etc., they are better-behaved, better mannered, more responsible and more loving than every one of those brats on Nanny 911, Super Nanny and the wife swap shows put together.

They are well-behaved, and all the things you have stated...my issue is with their isolation, and the "home-schooling." They are not raising these children to become independent adults. They have no intentions of ever seeing any of these kids leave the compound...much like any cult. The education they are receiving is a joke, at best. I'll bet Ma & Pa would be thrilled if none of the kids ever left...and I think they will get their wish. Those poor kids don't stand a chance in the "real" world.

AUgirl

AUgirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 8:44 PM

Well, your 6 year old is fully capable of making tater-tot casserole ;)

What is in a tater-tot casserole anyway--besides the tater-tots? It sounds disgusting.

Duggar way--have a buddy make tater tot casserole
AU way--go to Sonic and buy some tater tots (of course that would require Ma Duggar leave the compound)

Oiselle

Oiselle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2006 @ 12:44 AM

Tater tot casserole. Mr Oiselle and I recently drove cross country when we moved, and one of the stops we made was at the Grand Canyon. We laughed about the visit the Duggars had. I would NOT have wanted to be on that plane. They come up in regular conversation now too because we run into a lot of people here who remind us of them. That didn't happen so much in California! There is a lot more countenance out here.

bestimw

bestimw

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2006 @ 10:25 PM

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I broke down and made tater tot casserole. I made it specifically according to the Duggar recipe, even though I recall reading in prior Duggar related threads that it needed "doctorin'"

And I have to tell you'all, it wasn't inedible. (How's that for damning with faint praise?) And since I live alone it lasted me a few days, even though I cut the recipe in half. By tonight, the third night, I think it tasted better. I don't know if that's because the flavors had a chance to "meld" or because I was happy to finally see the end of it.

I think next time I go to make it, I won't.

Edited by bestimw, Nov 6, 2006 @ 10:30 PM.

irishchik

irishchik

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 3:15 AM

we used to have tater tot casserole when i was growing up. (5 kids and two working parents). its filling and cheesy, not too bad.

hey, this guy and his wife could be Jim Bob and Michelle's seperated at birth twins !! even the hair is the same !

http://www.jimholt.us/

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 7:05 AM

He's running for office again, right?

irishchik

irishchik

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

Futhark on page 6 mentioned Jim Holt, so I looked him up. I guess he and JimBob know each other. They sure look a like !

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

Interesting articles on Holt.
Since JimBob's politics comes up frequently on the show, I suppose we can talk about it here and be on topic. Duggar says Holt belongs to their church, it's called Bible Grace Fellowship (formally known as: Church of the Holy Basement).
Here's an interesting snippet from a news article on Holt.

On his Statement of Financial Interest for 2002, Holt reported that the “Isaiah 40: 31 Trust” was the source of the gift of a 1998 Ford E-350 Club Wagon on Nov. 30, 2002. He has said a member of the Bible Grace Fellowship gave him the van through the trust, but he has declined to disclose the man’s name.

Anyone wanna' guess where the van came from? Me thinks the "man" might be our own Jim Bob.

ETA: Whoops. Another article names the source of the van. Not JimBob...someone named Rutz. I wonder if he's a Quiverfuller?

Edited by jhawksgirl, Nov 7, 2006 @ 6:31 PM.

Laurie

Laurie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 1:18 AM

EEeeeeeei! The thread is back!! :)

I was surprised to see that J'17 is yet a twinkle in JimBob's eye - clearly Michelle has not been paying enough attention to her countenance as every good wife should, or we'd have another bub by now...

I just don't understand why JimBob and Michelle even WANT so many children - yes, yes, take what the lord gives them, I get it - but they cannot truly derive much pleasure from so many kids, they can't KNOW each kid, especially with outsourcing so many tasks to the buddies.

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 9:25 AM

I just don't understand why JimBob and Michelle even WANT so many children - yes, yes, take what the lord gives them, I get it - but they cannot truly derive much pleasure from so many kids, they can't KNOW each kid, especially with outsourcing so many tasks to the buddies.

I call it the Pinky and the Brain theory.

"What are we gonna do tonight, JimBob?"
"Same thing we do every night, Michelle. Try and take over the world!"

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 10:14 AM

I call it the Pinky and the Brain theory.

BWAAAHHHAAAHHAA! That's brilliant. And once all the Duggarettes start spawning quiverfulls of their own children, there will be nothing stopping them! Just think about it...if each of the 16 kids has 16 kids, that's (getting out my calculator) 256 GrandDuggars. 256! There are towns with less people!

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 9:02 PM

BWA HA HA!! That's beautiful! ;)

Dammit- now I won't be able to think of that theme song without thinking of the Duggars: "Before the day is done, their plan will be unfurled, by the dawning of the sun, they'll take over the world..."

NARF!

Rap541

Rap541

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

Shouldn't Michelle be pregnant by now?

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

BWAAAHHHAAAHHAA! That's brilliant. And once all the Duggarettes start spawning quiverfulls of their own children, there will be nothing stopping them! Just think about it...if each of the 16 kids has 16 kids, that's (getting out my calculator) 256 GrandDuggars. 256! There are towns with less people!

*shudder*

Hold me. I'm askeered now.

Rap541, my husband asked the same thing last night. I wonder if ol' JimBob's quiver's not shooting any arrows. Or maybe Michelle's uterus really did fall out.

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:15 PM

Wasn't there reports of "sin in the house". Jesus isn't going to give them a baby until the sin is clear.

Maybe Michelle is tired of pregnancies and births and has MacGuyver'd an IUD out of a fork.

Edited by EarthMomma, Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:16 PM.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:19 PM

Wasn't there reports of "sin in the house". Jesus isn't going to give them a baby until the sin is clear.

I believe the original "sin in the camp" was a while back, before Johanna's birth....maybe there's been more sinning?

Taylorh2

Taylorh2

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

There were 5 of us kids and I remember the tator-tot casseroles very well. As a matter of fact I remember lots of casseroles being served when we were kids. 5 kids in my family is the reason why I only have 1 and the reason why i've never served casserole to my family.

AUgirl

AUgirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

Maybe Michelle is tired of pregnancies and births and has MacGuyver'd an IUD out of a fork.

That is hilarious. How old is Michelle? Maybe she's going through early/regular menopause.

MyraEllen828

MyraEllen828

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

Saw a billboard this morning advertising a news special on how to live debt-free. I found myself giggling and wondering if they were gonna have "whore self and giant family out on TLC for freebies" as one of the tips. Surely not.