19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62481 replies to this topic

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 4:48 PM

garli....

It was probably like the domino thing...once one started puking...the next went and so on and so on.

Edited by twinkle44301, Sep 27, 2006 @ 7:40 PM.

jechaplin

jechaplin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 9:06 AM

They kept referring to things that were discussed here, like the fresh fruit and vegetable issue, the carseats and seatbelt issue.

So what was the excuse for the expired carseats and improperly restrained children?

millennium74

millennium74

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 9:41 AM

So what was the excuse for the expired carseats and improperly restrained children?

I'm sure that will be addressed in the next special...

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 10:21 AM

Who needs safe carseats when you have Jesus?

jechaplin

jechaplin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:41 PM

Who needs safe carseats when you have Jesus?

Well the Bible does say something about not putting God to the test.

Crash test of an expired carseat:

http://home.comcast....s_old_seat.mpeg

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

Well, following Duggar logic, I guess just having any carseats at all is an improvement over previous shows, where they didn't appear to have them, and there was a noticeable absence of seatbelts in some of the RV seating for the kids. I guess they thought that tossing some carseats in the old RV would be enough to quiet the critics.

Edited by jerseydevil, Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:55 PM.

Ivy Tree

Ivy Tree

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 2:54 PM

I just wanted to add my opinion about the hotel rooms...I worked in a hotel for three years and the fire code only allowed 5 people per room. Somehow I think having 10 boys in one room kinda violated that.

AcheronBlue

AcheronBlue

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:25 AM

I am always a sucker for the Duggar shows, or anything on TLC, A&E or Discovery about multiple wives and so forth.

I happened to catch the rerun episode of the travel trip last week. My hubby isn't one to watch these show, but he did get sucked into this one. He happened by when they were showing all the food/clothing to go into the motor home. While my practical side was trying to figure out how to pack everything, my mechanical-truck driving hubby was astounded to think that the motorhome would even leave the driveway with all the added weight.

He watched long enough to see Grampa show up with the van. Told You So.

I am so hoping that one of those children writes an autobiography in my lifetime. Jinger? Simon and Shuster is calling.

PittsburghDiva

PittsburghDiva

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:41 AM

I am so hoping that one of those children writes an autobiography in my lifetime. Jinger? Simon and Shuster is calling.

Amen to that. Something like, "Jinger Freed: Digging out from the Duggar Dogma"

Sarahelca

Sarahelca

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 1:26 PM

I'd be first in line at the book signing

AUgirl

AUgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 2:45 PM

The paging thing was something. I have three kids and I'd lose count how many times I'd go up and down the stairs in our house. I can't even imagine that they think this is normal.

My younger sister will call from her bedroom to the front of the house from her cell phone, but it's not accepted as normal behavior. I'm surprised Ma Duggar doesn't make them all have a 2 way on them at all times.

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 3:28 PM

I'm surprised Ma Duggar doesn't make them all have a 2 way on them at all times.

Why? She doesn't raise them.

GluedToTube

GluedToTube

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 4:37 PM

I don't know if anyone has visited their website; if you google jim bob dugger is comes up. I went to read a little more about them. They have a link to their favorite websites so I clicked....one of their favorite sites is modest swimwear? Oh my goodness, please everyone take a look. This makes me want to get them all a string bikini because no one should swim in that.

Ailine

Ailine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

GluedtoTube , you ain't seen NOTHING yet.

Let me introduce you to the greatest discovery of one of the old Duggar threads:

Lydia of Purple

I can remember the first time someone posted that link on TWoP. Good times, good times.

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 7:37 PM

Wow, that swimwear is interesting. You just have to wonder how many of those kids will fly the coop, when the time arrives. The real problem is that they (Ma & Pa) have so isolated them, that when and if they do get out, I can see it being overwhelming for them.

I'd forgotten about the "Lydia" line of clothing.

Edited by twinkle44301, Sep 29, 2006 @ 7:39 PM.

millennium74

millennium74

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

I'd forgotten about the "Lydia" line of clothing.

It's not just the clothing... they pimp out their daughters for prospective husbands on that site. It's... disturbing, to say the least. If I recall, one of the captions was something like "fifth daughter is always ready!" No names, either, just numbers. Ew. I wonder if the Duggars are going to do the same thing when the J-girls turn 18.

Anyone know any more about the "Josh moved out" rumour? I'm dying over here!

GluedToTube

GluedToTube

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

Well my questions have been answered! Everytime I watch the show, I think where do they get those hideous clothes. Now I know. This is all just entirely abnormal.

mom2tee

mom2tee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 8:20 PM

Let me introduce you to the greatest discovery of one of the old Duggar threads:

Lydia of Purple

I can remember the first time someone posted that link on TWoP. Good times, good times.

On my deathbed, when I am 102, I will ask my family to bring me my laptop so I can look at that site again. It will never get old. Never cease to bring the funny. Ever. Oh my that is just the best! Thanks for the memories!!!!

GreekGal

GreekGal

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 9:12 PM

"Sixth daughter is 19 and always ready."

it is one thing to dress your kids in tacky clothes. It is another to not let them have a decent bathing suit. Ok, they have outdated hair. Worse could happen to you.

However, I draw the line when a parent lists her daughter as "19 and always ready." Always ready for what? Honest to goodness........

Honest to goodness, TLC had anotehr show on with 3 wives.

Now they have the 16 children people on again. I am sorry, why do you have to dress so icky and have mullets? What is wrong with a nice modest haircut and not tacky makeup. Nowhere in the bible does it say you have to dress icky. AND no where does it say you should refer to your children by numbers and "always ready."

You can use the internet but you can't wear pants. What is wrong with pants?

Enough of my rant....breathe deep!

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

Wow....I had heard talk about that site before but have never been there.....Wow.

My husband came in while I was looking and asked if I was looking at Haloween costumes.

kcjones

kcjones

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:09 PM

I think they thing that annoys me the most is how they hoist the responsibility of raising the children on the children. The kids tote, feed, and watch the other kids. That's wrong. If Ma & Pa can't do it themselves, then they need to quit having babies. It isn't teaching them to be responsible (the children), it's easing the burden of raising the little ones and passing it along to the older children. And it's wrong, wrong, wrong. I guess Ma Duggar must think if she says it in a sweet, high-pitched voice, that it must be okay.

AGREED! I've been dating a guy for a few years who is one of 7 (5 boys 2 girls) - His older sister was 2nd born, and ended up being the 2nd "Mom" and totally helped raise the other kids (the other girl was the last child born, so she had it easy). Even though his family was able to hire some housekeepers over the years to help his Mom, she never had what we now
consider "nannies", she relied on that 2nd born girlchild to help her.

I am one of 3 kids, and I am SO glad that my parents stopped at 3 - we kids had plenty of time with our parents, while my BF has memories of being more in a "club" atmosphere, and feeling very left out at times, emotionally distant from his parents...almost like they were
"teachers" instead of parents.

I can only IMAGINE what the Duggar kids will go through as they mature and (hopefully) have independant thought patterns/experiences. Sort of like growing up in a trade show atmosphere, IMO.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 12:25 PM

Guys, in previous Duggar threads, too much discussion of Lydia of Purple and Modest Swimwear and such was deemed off-topic. So to keep this thread open as long as possible, we need to all make sure we stick to the Duggars as our topic.

My mind is still boggling that the Duggars let one kid out of the nest. Of course, he probably moved out of the main house into another house on the compound, but still. On the other hand, he might have been able to sneak out and they might not notice his absence for months if not years since Ma and Pa Duggar are too busy doing the horizontal mambo to make Baby Duggar #734, so who knows.

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

kcjones-I think it's fairly common in households with more than 6 or so children to expect some of them to be "helpers." I really disagree with this. Kids need to be kids. I do understand the idea of teaching them to be responsible...making their bed, having a chore or two, but I think saddleing these kids with "baby raising" responsibilites is wrong. I am a mother (of three), and I can't imagine expecting my children to do this sort of work.

I had a good friend who had 12 or 13 kids in their family. She said that the older four were tight, then the next four, and so on. She was never very close to her mom or dad. Sadly, most people think that familes that are large function like The Walton's. They don't. They actucally function like the Duggars' and that's a sad thing. It is like being in a club atomosphere.

I hope some of the Duggar children are able to escape...but I am afraid Ma and PA aren't giving them the tools they need to get out in the "real" world. Sadly, many, if not most of them, will remain or return to Duggarville because of this.

Most of us want our children to get out and do well on their own (and deal with the ups and downs of real life), but when you are dealing with a cult (and I believe they are a cult), they don't want you outside of their little world. In a way, the Duggar kids are being held hostage...mind and body. It's too bad. And all in the name of Jesus.

I wonder what Ma and Pa Duggar's parents and siblings think of the things in Duggarville. I don't really recall any "family" get togethers.

Edited by twinkle44301, Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:13 PM.

Cee

Cee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

I'm dying to know why J'Oldest flew the nest. Anyone who has dish, please spill it! It's especially frustrating because I've never been able to get any of the Duggar Specials--I don't get TLC Health/Discovery/Whatever channel it's on and I checked out YouTube oand they're not on that either. Waaaahhh!

My father was one of 7. I should ask him what his experiences were. I know none of the kids were expected to parent the others, as my grandparents were very wealthy and had numerous servants, including nannies (called "nurses"). Also there was at least a 13-year gap between the eldest and the youngest.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 6:45 PM

I wonder if Josh is "out of the house" because he is building his own house on the 20 acre property in anticipation of finding a wife and starting his own branch of the cult. From what we've seen of Josh on the TV specials, it looks to me like he totally drank the kool aid and can't wait to follow in his dad's footsteps. And why not? The Duggar way of life is easy for the menfolk; it's the females (Ma excepted) who work their fingers to the bone.

Ivy Tree

Ivy Tree

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

Something about Josh just annoys me to no end...perhaps it is because he totally buys into this way of life and soon he will be pushing his Duggar seed onto some 18 yr old girl giving her a "blessing from God" year after year. Soon his brood will be living in an adjacent house on the compound.

Urizen

Urizen

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 10:33 PM

Maybe Josh is at Bob Jones University? Or Harding University in Arkansas? Those are both schools which are hard core fundy. I think he looked kinda mean and frustrated on this show.

Edited by Urizen, Sep 30, 2006 @ 10:35 PM.

Basia

Basia

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 11:16 PM

There's something off-putting about Josh and his junior-Jim Bob hairstyle. I keep thinking his politician dad is grooming him to be some sort of fundamentalist "Damian". I love a good conspiracy theory. :P

chelseabelle

chelseabelle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 12:46 PM

I keep missing this...my Tivo can't find it! Any clue when it may re-air?

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

It will be back on. I checked my TiVo and it's not on in the next couple of weeks, but I have it in my favorites and I'll keep watching for it.