19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62439 replies to this topic

Abacus

Abacus

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

Really cute and humorous. Thanks for pointing that out, Maggy.

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 11:35 PM

We've seen the homeschooling on the various Duggar shows, but I don't recall either parent mentioning why they homeschool.

Someone was kind enough to post the application forms for the Gotthard curriculum a couple of pages back. Read that and the reasons for homeschooling become pretty clear.

Get that? They have to APPLY to be able to PURCHASE books to HOMESCHOOL?! Dude, if I have to APPLY to give you my business...that's something fishy right there.

SchoolyardNinja

SchoolyardNinja

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Get that? They have to APPLY to be able to PURCHASE books to HOMESCHOOL?!

I'd define that as a great marketing tool. Make the customer think it's an honor to buy your product!

I'm curious about the quality of academics, though. When we see Michelle homeschooling them on the show, she never seems to be teaching anything advanced. I would think that as pro-Duggar as this show is, if Michelle actually taught them calculus or organic chemistry, we'd see that. I hope that during homeschool hours the older girls get to completely focus on their own work, rather than have to teach their younger "buddy".

ash40s

ash40s

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

OMG Maggie, that is hilarious. I especially giggled at the youngest child named "Mary Rhoda".

BKs Nimo

BKs Nimo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

I would think that as pro-Duggar as this show is, if Michelle actually taught them calculus or organic chemistry, we'd see that.

Does Michelle even know enough to teach those subjects? I've found that it takes skill to be a GREAT math and science teacher...and honestly, IMO, Michelle doesn't have the chops. Personally, I wouldn't want someone with just a high school diploma teaching me those subjects (especially considering that Orgo isn't a basic part of a high school curriculum).

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

but I don't recall either parent mentioning why they homeschool.

Because if the other kids went to school, who would take care of the younger kids all day?

Futhark

Futhark

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 2:32 PM

I'm curious about the quality of academics, though. When we see Michelle homeschooling them on the show, she never seems to be teaching anything advanced. I would think that as pro-Duggar as this show is, if Michelle actually taught them calculus or organic chemistry, we'd see that. I hope that during homeschool hours the older girls get to completely focus on their own work, rather than have to teach their younger "buddy".

I know in their general area, there is a home school co-op. I have no idea if they take advantage of that.

RebekahN

RebekahN

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 5, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

It bothers me how they have Jennifer on that character list. How do they know what a baby's character quality will be?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Maybe that's a quality they hope she'll have.

alwaysandalways

alwaysandalways

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 2:46 PM

They have a new video up at the Discovery Health website-take a look http://health.discov...eupId=769921206

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 4:14 PM

OK...that video was pretty cute, especially the "class president" kid with the green shirt.

Except that I call bullshit on them claiming to build their house themselves. They absolutely did not and it's beyond disingenuous to say so.

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 5:31 PM

As far as something going wrong (like Downs, or even hemorraging and needed a hysterectomy) that's got a good chance of happening as well. I hope not, and statistically speaking it probably won't, but it's a possibility. I'm sure that JB and Michelle know this.

I knew a family that I went to church with, they didn't believe in birth control. They had about 6 or 7 kids already and then the wife gave birth to another child that had downs syndrome. This was their only child who had downs syndrome. After that, even though they were against bc, they never had anymore kids after that. I honestly believe they would have kept on having more kids. They also home school their kids.

inthezone

inthezone

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 12:34 AM

How long is that video because the clip length says 6 mins but I can only see about a minute?

Joy-Anna's a sweetie. Having her hair tied back and uncurled suits her, rather than letting it hang loose. The green shirt boy is a hoot!

Rinkside

Rinkside

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 2:08 AM

Except that I call bullshit on them claiming to build their house themselves. They absolutely did not and it's beyond disingenuous to say so.

Maybe that is why the girl reading that part, did so with hesitation.

athomemomma

athomemomma

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 12:07 AM

We all wait with bated breath at our house for another one, so I guess Discovery channel knows they've got a good thing going at this point. I think the Duggar's little ones are really cute.

Edited by Strega, Jul 9, 2008 @ 9:33 PM.
Signed post, off-topic

chicagomom

chicagomom

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

If you check the ATI website, you can download the example Wisdom guide for yourself and see what exactly is taught. In the FAQ section they even stress that you will have to supplement math, which tells me there isn't much calculus offered in them.

Wisdom Booklet

And the requirement to supplement math:
Math supplement required

In general, I think the Duggar's are likely following this approach on where their children will go, and college isn't likely in their plans:
Determining your path

Similar to the way the Amish do not educate their children to develop multicultural awareness or critical thinking skills, only the desire to make them "good Amish" so do I feel the Duggars, based on their show and their ATI beliefs, plan to raise their children to be "good christians" and everything else is secondary.

Southernlady

Southernlady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 8:20 PM

In relation to the sim wifeswap, whose head do you think would explode first if there were to be a Michele Duggar/Kate Gosselin Wifeswap?

baking23

baking23

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 8:50 PM

Kate

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:51 AM

Jim Bobs. Can you imagine what it would be like if Kate started telling him what to do?? LOL.

I thought of thought of this the other day. You know in the first few specials the Gosselins looked really cute and such but as the series went on it was different? Do you think it'll be the same with the Duggars?

LadyRavana

LadyRavana

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

Crap, double post (On my first day here too!)...sorry about that mods!

Edited by LadyRavana, Jul 11, 2008 @ 9:48 AM.

LadyRavana

LadyRavana

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

Hello hello TWOPers! I'm LadyR! Long time lurker, first time poster! (The Powers that Be just approved me! Whoo!)

Aaaaanyways...I caught the Duggars on "Good Morning America" a couple months back when they were doing that Mothers Day special.

I'd actually heard of the Duggars, and seen their first special back when it first aired, back in, I think, 2004. I was the tender age of sixteen. Funnily enough, they didn't get to me as much as they probably should have. My reaction when I saw them was "Huh. Would you look at that? That's erm, nice. I guess. Weird, but they look nice enough."

...Looking back, I should have known better.

Seeing them on Good Morning America, oddly enough, spurned my interest in them, and I went a researchin.' That's how I came across this forum, and I even went back and read the ENTIRE original thread (14 Children and Pregnant Again) dedicated to these religious nutcases.

Yes. I have way too much time on my hands. But I was VASTLY entertained for a good two weeks. Glad it's been resurrected!

However, when I saw the original special, I did find myself wincing at the sheer amount of diapers, and other waste these people were reproducing. These people aren't leaving a carbon footprint, they're leaving a giant smoking crater, and it's only going to get worse. But then, most Fundies never did really give two shits about the environment, because Gawd is gonna destroy us all in holy fire! (But then, I have heard of a small movement of green fundies....I guess they're relatively new.)

I saw some things that disturbed me. One thing in particular that sticks out to me was little Joy-Anna carrying one of her younger siblings (Johannah, I think it was?) around on her back. I was appalled, thinking "That's...really not safe. Good lord, where's the adult supervision?! And aren't they thinking about the DAMAGE to that little girl's back?" Like another poster has said, that's an accident waiting to happen. I mean, what if one of the littler ones accidentally drops a baby on its head and kills it, or causes severe, permanent brain damage?! I mean, you do NOT leave a baby in the care of a five (or six year old!) Do these people not have common sense?! And in the moving in special, small children running around a CONSTRUCTION site?! Girls with drills, and their hair blowing everywhere? Working in those prairie sack dresses? And I squirmed when I saw the little boy in the plastic wrap, (I guess they didn't think about possible suffocation) and saw the kids working on the roof with NO safety equipment. I am honestly horrified at how IRRESPONSIBLE Jim and Michelle truly are.

But then, I'm sure they see the kids as expendable, 'specially the girls. No wait, they might actually value the girls somewhat as future breeding stock. *disgusted eyeroll*

And WORD to whoever said that Michelle is like those people that say they love puppies, but they don't want the responsibility of a DOG. That is a perfect analogy. She doesn't love her children. She loves BABIES. And when they aren't cute anymore, she just dumps them off on her older kids to raise, and goes off to get knocked up again, no better than someone who gets a puppy, keeps it while it stays cute, and then when it grows up, dumps it off at a shelter. I believe she's pregnant with number 18 now. Swell.

I'm thinking, on some level, Michelle never fully grew up. I mean, she married when she was 17, and then after she had the miscarriage and flew off the handle, I think she wanted children, but didn't want the responsibility of raising them. Solution? Keep popping out babies, play with them for a little while, then get bored, and pawn them off to your servants. All the fun, and none of the mess.

That or, she just went plain old batshit. I mean, I know it must be heartbreaking to lose a pregnancy, but most women don't go off the deep end the way she did. And then again, they don't blame the pill, either.

And don't get me started on their idea of road safety. (Seatbelts people, seatbelts!) Good Lord, I don't want to imagine the carnage if they were in an accident. *shudder* (Much as they sicken and disgust me, I don't wish any ill on these people, even if they are religious creeps.)

On here, I read the post where Oprah offered for a couple of the girls (Jill and Jessa?) to go to nursing and midwifery school, and the parents TURNED her down, because they don't want to let go of the tight hold they have over the girls, and I find that tragic and heartbreaking, depriving these girls of their dreams, all because they literally have no choice BUT to follow in their mother's footsteps. That's just....God, I can't even find the words to describe it. It's sick and awful. I know that it says on the site what careers the girls want, but I can pretty much guaratee that it's just lip service to appease the masses. They're never going to work outside the home.

Oh, and one more thing: (I don't know if anyone's posted this tidbit before, if I'm repeating, my apologies: I haven't read the entire thread) A little while back, I heard the oldest daughter, Jana, ran away from the compound and got pregnant, and wound up being shunned. I don't know if this is true, but it seems to be a rumor floating around. I've only read it in a couple of comments, and I have nothing to substantiate this.

But if it's true....poor Jana. My heart goes out to her. I imagine she was desperate for attention and love and well...look what happened to her.

Way to go, JimBob and Michelle. Such a fine example of your "parenting." *sarcasm*

*Edited to fix a couple of grammar errors that I missed during my tangent*

Edited by LadyRavana, Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:43 AM.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:05 AM

Welcome Lady Ravana! I totally agree with your post.

RebekahN

RebekahN

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:12 PM

No, that was not Jana Duggar, that was a Jueb girl, from a different large family.

LadyRavana

LadyRavana

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:49 PM

Huh. Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. Guess I got my J's mixed up.

All things considered, I actually see that happening to one of the girls, should one of them escape. I know it'll be one hell of a culture shock.

Those poor, poor girls. Their nutty parents have deliberately set them up for failure. And of course, the boys.

I think it would be fitting karma if ALL the girls ditched their parents, and left the boys, JimBob, and OfJimBob to clean their own damn jurisdictions. That also includes Johannah and Jennifer. (Flee girls flee! Take the little ones!) And maybe some of the little boys can be de-programmed of their mysogynistic, controlling Fundie ideology. It may be too late for Josh (Josh disconcerts me...he's definitely being groomed as his father's succesor) and John-David, but I think there's hope for Jebidiah, Jedediah, and little Jackson. I remember him from the first special. He was a little sweetie!

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

And I get a definite Branch-Davidian vibe from all this. Jim Blob just makes me think "cult leader."

Edited by LadyRavana, Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:53 PM.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

It's so said isn't it? I mean even the Amish kids get to have a glimpse of the real world. The Duggar kids don't.

LadyRavana

LadyRavana

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 5:45 AM

Okay ya'll...I did a bit of digging around, and I found this a little while back on the Bay of Fundie blog. Don't think this was posted here before, but I think it's pretty telling, and confirms a lot of what's been speculated here. It sounds fairly legit.

link: http://www.bay-of-fu...family#comments

I grew up in a family like the Duggars, and my family knows them through homeschooling conventions. I left home at 17 because my dad was always screaming and punishing us. My life was very suffocating and my mother idolized Michelle Duggar. After they met and became friends, she began implementing the same rules in our home. Donít be fooled by Michelleís polished demeanor. She is not at all as sweet and soft spoken as she appears on tv. She taught my mom the ďblanket methodĒ. Itís how you teach a crawling baby to stay on a blanket. You sit the baby down on the blanket, and when he/she tries to move off of it, you hit the edges of the blanket near the baby with a yard stick so it scares them into staying on the blanket. If the baby absolutely wonít stay on it, then you spank by swatting at the hands of the baby trying to get off the blanket.

One of their oldest daughters (sorry, will not name names) confided in my sister that Michelle screams and yells all of the time at her children. That she stays in her bedroom alot of the day and lays around while the older girls work the entire day. They call this ďTraining for a sacred marriageĒ. One of the girls who confided in my sister said she wanted to go to a certain college away from Arkansas, but Michelle wants all of the children to go to online college. She wants to keep them home for as long as possible until they get married. This is how it is in my family too.

Whenever we girls would get together at the conventions and meet ups, we used to dream about wearing regular clothes, cutting our hair, wearing make up, and wondering what rock music was like.

Women idolize and worship Michelle. They pay this woman to come and teach them how to run their own home. When the real truth is, Michelle doesnít run her home. Her older girls do. And the older girls are the mothers to the smaller children. They change all the diapers, they do all the feedings, etc.

The boys do not do womenís work. Only the women do dishes, cooking, laundry, etc. The television shows the boys doing chores. They donít do indoor type chores on a daily basis. They only do ďmenís workĒ outside.

I hate to break it to anyone who thinks the duggars are perfect. They are pretty typical as far as the yelling, screaming, spankings with yard sticks, and punishment chores goes. I havenít seen my family in years. Once you leave, you cannot come back until you get on your knees before the head of the house hold and repent that you are a sinner. Itís a part of things that the duggars would never ever discuss with the outside world. The reality of being in a sect.

She also mentions about the rumor of Josh molesting two of his sisters, but says that's an unsubstatiated claim.

Next comment left by Sara:

There are some other things about the oldest molesting two of the sisters, but I cannot talk about that because I donít know if itís truth. It has been nothing but a rumor. Itís almost rumored that Michelle is pregnant again, and plans to have up to 20 children.

And finally....she also left this:

I wanted to stop by and thank a few of you for your comments. Itís no surprise Michelle is having another baby. It was rumored in April, and a good friend who knows the Duggars told me about this. For fear of a lawsuit - yes Michelle is like that, I can also say that one of the oldest children is engaged to marry, and the engagement is for two years.

One of the reasons Michelle dresses all of her children in the same colors is not so they can be easily spotted, or so that everyone matches easily, itís a systematic way of brainwashing in order to make everyone feel like they are not like anyone else in society. That they are the chosen ones, who are set apart from everyone else who is not like them. Michelle encourages this dress code whenever she speaks with other parents.....if she did have a child with Downs, she wouldnít be taking care of the baby. Her oldest children would.

I'm glad that poor girl got away from that lifestyle, and gave some insight about what Michelle is REALLY like off-camera.

alwaysandalways

alwaysandalways

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:27 PM

Thank you Lady Ravana. I always hate how they put Michelle on a pedestal. Those poor children are being brainwashed to think that society is horrible.

I think when they know people are around they are sooo different. I know a girl who met them and after felt so uncomfortable with thier lifestyle an how they made her feel Gothard was so great. She is Catholic and they tried converting her. She is in her late 20s and unmarried. I think she updated her site to say shes not a duggarfan anymore. Interesting to say the least http://www.freewebs.com/duggarfan/

Livy

Livy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 9:46 PM

Wow, Duggarfan changed her mind about the Duggars? That in itself says a lot!

When do we find out the season premiere date of their new series??? I can't wait to have a season premiere party complete with tater tot casserole and ice cream sandwich cake, aka heart attack cake as I affectionately call it.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

Yeah I want to know when this thing airs too. I wonder how much control the Duggars will have on the series such as editing and such?

alwaysandalways

alwaysandalways

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 12:06 AM

they keep saying 'fall' but in Duggar math that must mean spring?