19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62515 replies to this topic

darcy123

darcy123

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 11:11 PM

They can always say their older girls graduated from SOTDRT with advanced degrees in childcare and home ec, and we know they will all have lifetime volunteer careers in those fields.

AlexisAnne

AlexisAnne

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 12:50 AM

Their bodies age but their brains never seem to.

Sooner or later, some "home-schooler" who was never actually schooled will sue the state that allowed him to grow up to be ignorant and will win. I understand the right to raise children according to one's own belief and value system to a point, but education is too important not to be overseen to some degree. At the very least, a state should require that every child physically appear at a public school or testing center at least once every two years during his or her home-schooling years for the purpose of being given a standardized test. If the child tests out even close. as in within a year of where he should be for his age level, fine. If not, it's time to let professionals take over and try to undo some of the damage that was done by the SOTDRT.

Field trips are a fantastic opportunity for teaching/learning, but some of the content the Duggars try to pass of as "educational" is common knowledge among first graders in my opinion.

Edited by AlexisAnne, Yesterday, 12:51 AM.

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:22 AM

I remember an episode when one of the older boys was "graduating" from something and he was lined up outside with other boys with shaved heads. They weren't allowed to smile or laugh, so of course Jim Bob purposely tried to make the boy laugh. I believe it was JD. All the older girls were crying and were the first to hug him, Jana in particular. I thought it was some firefighter academy or something, but now that I think about it, it may have been ALERT.

Edited by charmed1, Yesterday, 06:23 AM.

altopower

altopower

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 08:32 AM

springgarden said:

It frosts me that Boob and Clown Car have the resources to send all of their kids to good schools, yet they place no value on education at all. 

I almost never watch the show, getting far more out of reading TWoP instead, so this may be a stupid question.  Is it that they place no value on education, or that they know that an educated kid would not accept the limitations and oddness of the life they live?

Bajovane

Bajovane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 08:58 AM

I almost never watch the show, getting far more out of reading TWoP instead, so this may be a stupid question.  Is it that they place no value on education, or that they know that an educated kid would not accept the limitations and oddness of the life they live?

I would say both. The chances that a kid that gets that decent education will see their belief system for what it is and jump ship is quite high.  Therefore, Boob and Bichelle keep 'em simple and stupid - far easier to control that way.

KissmyMutt

KissmyMutt

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

I thought he was graduated from Alert or SORTDT? or maybe that is homeschool? 

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Is it that they place no value on education, or that they know that an educated kid would not accept the limitations and oddness of the life they live?

• rep_down.png

Officially, they homeschool so that the kids aren't exposed to the ungodly ways of other kids, who might do drugs or be Jewish or gay. Unofficially, or more properly, in my opinion, they homeschool the kids so that the kids can't get ideas about life outside the compound, or acquire the  skills to live outside the compound. This isn't about any Christian belief, this is about Jimbob and Michelle controlling the family.

Between not being pregnant for a while now, and Jim Bob choosing wives for two of the daughters, I wonder when Michelle's flip out will come.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

and Jim Bob choosing wives for two of the daughters,

That's a great typo.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 AM

I meant husbands, I swear! :)

But JimBob choosing wives for the daughters *would* be one hell of a ratings bonanza!

m2688

m2688

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 11:01 AM

So the leghumpers have their own forum now

allabouttheduggars.boards.net

Wait, is this boards on boards?

lindiana53

lindiana53

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 PM

While I try to avoid listening carefully to anything Jim Boob and Michelle say, I believe the (repetitive) commercial says "high school" graduation and something about a huge party to celebrate. Perhaps the Duggars feel in competition with the turn out at the Bateses' wedding. Anyway, the Duggar kids have never attended a real high school or received any reasonable amount of education, so what the hell are they celebrating? Can we say "ii-run-nee"?

HaveMetalIssues

HaveMetalIssues

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 12:35 PM

and Jim Bob choosing wives for two of the daughters,

That's a great typo.

At first I thought you meant the typo was using "Jim Bob" instead of "Jim Boob"!

parisprincess

parisprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 12:38 PM

With all the round the world travel this tribe has done, it irks me to no end that they get nothing out of it.  I've traveled quite a bit, and do extensive research about the places I plan to visit and, once there, hit the ground running to see and experience as much of different cultures as possible.  Travel is educational, enlightening and rewarding.  However, the Duggars don't do any research, seem not to care to learn anything about the people or culture of their destinations, and worst of all, they get fed so much misinformation from daddy Duggar.  Remember him showing the kids where King James wrote the Bible? Good lord!!!  Other than trying to impress the kids with his (lack of) knowledge, all he cares about is letting the locals know what a stud he by having 19 kids.  I get so pissed off that TLC wastes thousands and thousands of dollars funding trips for the asshole and his tribe when they come home as uneducated as when they left. 

Morgalisa

Morgalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

The independent baptist do not believe that they will be part of the 144,000 as they believe they will have left the earth at that time due to the rapture. They believe that the 144,000 is a literal number of Jews who will come to see Jesus as Messiah and the 144,000 will then evangelize.

The belief, at least from the mega churches in the area where I live, is that the rapture cannot happen until all of Jerusalem is in the hands of Israel (especially the disputed East Jerusalem).  The Bible says that the temple has to be rebuilt on Temple Mount before end times.  Temple Mount is in East Jerusalem.  The mega churches here raise millions of dollars in support of Israel and to send Jews to Jerusalem.  They believe the Jews' homeland has to be restored before end times can happen.  I never hear the Duggars talk about end times, but I think its only because they know it wont go over well with the general viewing audience.  It's not so much that they love the Jewish people as it is a means to an end for them.

Ljohnson1987

Ljohnson1987

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 04:44 PM

None of the Duggars have enough education to go to college. They graduate from the SOTDRT when Jessa gets tired of teaching them. I wonder what will happen when Jill gets married and moves away. Who will J'Chelle get to replace what she does around the house? It's sad how much J'Chelle relies on her older girls. It's really showing now that they're marrying. J'Chelle may have to be a real parent for the first time in years. 

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Michelle gets an easy pass IF she has to do any parenting after Jill or Jessa marries. Josie is 5 this year so even if Michelle has to step it up a bit, she has gotten lucky to miss the last 10-12 years of baby and toddler raising. I'm not saying 5-10 year olds are easy but they require much in terms of what Michelle defines as parent/buddying, picking out clothes, help with meals and self care and chores. I always find it sad when Michelle describes parenting in such a robotic fashion. It is basically a role to feed and clothe the child, teach the child about God, and train the child to follow your exact teachings. It is so devoid of feeling, teaching your kids their firsts, the little conversations of life, and truly knowing and loving your child.

I'm curious who will replace Jessa as head teacher? I can't see it being Jinger, so does Jana get another job? or will they hire special fellowshipping friends to help with school full time?

Marigny

Marigny

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 06:17 PM

So the leghumpers have their own forum now

allabouttheduggars.boards.net

Wait, is this boards on boards?

Not enough snark for my taste. Folks over there are drinking the Kool-aid. 

It's sad how much J'Chelle relies on her older girls. It's really showing now that they're marrying. J'Chelle may have to be a real parent for the first time in years. 

Uh oh!

cmr2011

cmr2011

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

I think that beyond making sure that the kids don't learn anything inappropriate -- like science -- one of the purposes of SODRT is to maintain complete control over the kids. Even if they went to a strict fundie school, they might make friends. They could have conversations with other people that are not monitored by a family member.

I was thinking about that when I was watching Jessa and Ben. Suppose Jessa doesn't want to have any kids. I think that's a completely reasonable supposition given the fact that she doesn't appear to like kids, and the fact that she has spent her entire life raising other people's children. She could never have an honest conversation with Ben about that. Obviously, she could never say that with her parents around, but even if it was a sibling chaperon, they would certainly tell mom and dad if she said anything out of line.

On a related note, I think that all of the talk on this board about one of the kids bolting is wishful thinking. Even if it were possible, I don't think they would. I think that the kids are all very close, and they know what would happen if one bolted.  If, say, Josiah were to leave, they would consider it a huge scandal and the show would probably not be renewed. All of the older kids know what life was like before the show: blanket training, JimBob's "anger issues," prairie skirts, etc. Regardless of how they might feel about their parents, or their lifestyle, I don't think they'd do anything to hurt their siblings.

Once the show has ended, and the older girls are married, I think the whole thing will come tumbling down. I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger kids in a Christian school. J'chelle doesn't want to be bothered with her kids, and without the older girls there won't be anyone to "teach" them. With friends on the "outside," I think it will be possible for the kids to begin to escape.

Pashakitty

Pashakitty

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Been away from this forum for a while, but happy to be back.

Hysterical comment from WorldlyBecca regarding Ben (Bin) 'a desperately horny 18 year old guy who can't believe he's actually going to have free rein with someone so hot.'  

So very true, though at 18 years old, he seems to be more mature than John David or even Josh.

Loved the wedding; Erin is such a southern belle and so very pretty.

The pink bedroom?  Give Erin a break.  She's had to share a bedroom with her sisters all her life, so she wants pink, let her have pink.  Chad took the pink bedroom in good stride.  Hell, he'd sleep on a bale of hay if it meant sleeping next to Erin.  

Lawson Bates- the best looking (and smartest) guy of the Bates/Duggar clans. I could see a Lawson-JoyAnna pairing.  They're both a little 'odd man out', feisty and hot; it is apparent that JoyAnna has a rockin body under those fuddy clothes.  Though he's 21 and she's only 16, it could happen in a few years.  

Like many of you, I want to see more of the Bateses!  

Frequent poster from last year Pauline Fowler, where are you?  Your posts were always so funny, but now I see none from you..... 

PecanSandie

PecanSandie

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 PM

If one of the Duggar kids bolts, I don't think it would be a scandal that closes the show down. It will be a media event for a while then life will go on. Jim Bob likes the money too much to cancel the show. Plus, fundamentalism as they practice it is crumbling from the destructive factors of their leaders sexual peccadilloes.

SewSumi

SewSumi

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Happy early 14th birthday to Jason, the Forgotten Duggar! I figured I best do this now while I was thinking about it, lest I forget tomorrow.

I just saw the re-run of the episode where he fell into the orchestra pit (can't believe that was 3 years ago!). Looking at a recent pic, I did a double take when I did the kid count and realized he was the blonde kid who was as tall as (or a little taller than) Jessa! Where on earth did THAT come from; he was so Duggar-male small just last fall during the taping of the current episodes!

Hope your family remembers you exist, kiddo!

cmr2011

cmr2011

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 PM

If one of the Duggar kids bolts, I don't think it would be a scandal that closes the show down. It will be a media event for a while then life will go on. Jim Bob likes the money too much to cancel the show.

Of course there's no way to know for sure, but I think that if one of the kids were to bolt and start talking it would be a huge problem for TLC. I think the show's already a headache for them with the Duggar association with Gothard and Vision Forum, as well as their political activity. It would just be too much of one of the kids was making the rounds of talk shows talking about blanket training, ALERT, etc.

If the kid just left and started going to college or something -- kept his head down -- then I agree that they would keep going. I don't think that would be much more than a hiccup.

PecanSandie

PecanSandie

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 PM

TLC thrives on drama. I suspect that if one of the Duggar kids bolt TLC will offer them their own show.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

TLC thrives on drama. I suspect that if one of the Duggar kids bolt TLC will offer them their own show. 

Breaking Duggar.

PennyCandyLane

PennyCandyLane

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

Now THAT is a show I would religiously watch every week. Free Joyanna!

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger kids in a Christian school. J'chelle doesn't want to be bothered with her kids, and without the older girls there won't be anyone to "teach" them.

I agree that once the older girls are gone, Michelle won't be bothered, but I doubt they'll be enrolled in an actual school, either.  They'll just be stuck in front of computers for the entire lessons and be left to teach themselves - or not.