19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62428 replies to this topic

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Today, 01:23 AM

JD used to seem like such a nice young man, but then, like all the Duggars so far, he stalled developmentally in the teen years, and what seemed normal if a little annoying is now just ridiculous and off-putting.  Only Jill has remained truly likeable, IMO, of the adult children, while still being in arrested development mode.  Of course I still adore Jana, but she's the only one who seems to be her actual age in that house, so I'm not counting her.  JD, Joe, Jessa and, yes, even once-awesome Jinger, all bug the crap out of me 99% of the time now.  I love Joy and Josiah, but I wonder how I'll feel five years from now when they're still exactly the same sullen, moody kids they are now, in adult bodies.  (Not that they don't have reason to be, but it's a little less sympathetic at later ages, at least for me.)

springgarden

springgarden

Just Tuned In

Posted Today, 01:36 AM

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see the title of this thread, "19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)",  my brain reads it as "19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Problems)".

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:51 AM

What does Erin Bates' new husband do for a living?

readalot

readalot

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see the title of this thread, "19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)",  my brain reads it as "19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Problems)".

Yup, me too, since day one!

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Today, 09:07 AM

"Many American subcultures have some sort of money collection for the couple."

Sure they do. My point is that the Bates/Duggar subculture does NOT have a history or pattern of such behaviors. Passing the plate at a southern fundie wedding is gauche.

PecanSandie

PecanSandie

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 09:10 AM

I've never seen anyone pass the plate/hat at a Southern baptist wedding, fundie (Independent Baptist) or more mainstream like Southern Baptist. 

At my Catholic cousins weddings, they all had a small wristlet type purse thing that they held during the reception and many people would tuck money in there, this also in the South.

JennyGil

JennyGil

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 10:35 AM

According to Kelly's blog, Chad works in construction. 

RazzleberryPie

RazzleberryPie

Fanatic

Posted Today, 11:14 AM

I don't think I've ever been to an Italian catholic wedding where the bridge didn't have a silk purse (looks like a drawstring sack with a lace cross on it) for envelopes. I have never been to a southern or fundie wedding where a plate was passed during the service, except for one instance where the bride and groom were missionaries and asked foe donations to their orphanage instead of gifts.

It's tradition in my DHs family to pass pieces of lace from your wedding veil to daughters/granddaughters to sew a lace cross onto the wedding purse. I havent seen anyone outside his family do this but it is sweet :-)

mythoughtis

mythoughtis

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:21 AM

Wedding thoughts:

For all Jessa's reputation for being mean:  She was the one who didn't want to do the gag gift for Erin because she thought it was mean.  It was her idea to put some actual gift cards in it. 

Also glad to see Jessa has some backbone and is willing to meet Jim Bob's interfering questions with a quelling look.  That is what it is going to take for Jessa and Ben to keep Jim Bob from running over them the rest of their lives.   It is not any of his business what a teenage Ben prayed for in a wife.  Better to ask what he feels is important in a marriage.  

Ben's Mom: I think both families are expected to intermingle and test for combatibility's sake.  Although I think the truth is that Ben's parents are being tested as to whether or not they meet the Duggar criteria for Gothard beliefs. 

John David and Joseph:  Do they not realize the 'both families are expected to intermingle and test' stuff?  Ben and his family could decide that the Duggar offspring are lazy that they don't want Ben to marry into it?  Ben's a guest in their home and they let Ben do all the work after Jinger expressly called them down to help. 

The car: There's mild stuff like the glass chalk, the can's and so forth.  But putting smelly stuff under seats, in air vents, and so forth sounds like out and out vandalism to me.  Pretty un-Christianlike. 

I think the Bates had to put up with the Duggar nonsense so that at least part of the wedding (or at least the videography of it) would be paid for.  Otherwise, there was no need to have 20+ people show up two days early and add to the confusion and chaos.

Edited by mythoughtis, Today, 11:39 AM.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:43 AM

@redvelvet , Erin's husband is working at the scrap metal yard with Zack in Lake City. He has done missionary work and construction work(more along the lines of framing) in the past. It seemed like Chad had a life ready for Erin in OK. He agreed to live in TN for her to finish school and then they were to move back to OK. Erin graduates in a few weeks. I very curious to see if they actually move to OK or stay in TN. It is one thing for Chad to spend 6 month working in a scrap metal yard while his new bride finishes college. I would hate to think that is going to be his long term career if Erin wants to stay in TN. Personally I think it would be good for Erin to move to OK, given her miscarriage, Whitney's pregnancy, and just for her to spread her wings.

chasquigirl25

chasquigirl25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 12:18 PM

Late to the party, but here are my thoughts about the wedding episode:

First and foremost....LOVE the Bates family!! Can we see more Bates family please TLC?? Their family seems like real people instead of the robotic Duggars.  There are a few reasons why I think this is true: 

1. Gil and Kelly actually parent their children and know each one individually.  Kelly can describe all of her childrens' personalities as more than just sweet or so sweet.  

2.  The Bates children have not had to grow up on camera, or being toted around to screech out some violins or sing the Blood song.  The Bates children live in a house and not on a stinky bus, all in the name of their parents fame and "ministry".  The Bates kids have had a childhood.

3. Even though Erin turned down scholarships to UT and other places, she was allowed to attend actual college!! She will graduate with a college degree!! Also Alyssa, Tori, Nathan are also attending college, and Zach and Michaela are at least doing online college courses.  Education is encouraged in the Bates home!  

As far as the episode: 

1.  Why do we have to be constantly reminded that Jessa is in a courtship with Ben Seewald?  We got it Mullet! Also, enough of the definitions of side hugs and no kissing....we are all actually smarter than you Mullet and have figured it out!  

2.  Why does Jinger have to pack for any of the kids, but especially Joseph, Josiah, Jed/Jer etc.  Anyone over the age of 11 should pack their own.  I can see helping Jackson-Josie but not 19 year old Joseph.  

3.  Ok, when I was dating my now husband, I attended college and worked a job.....why can't Jessa do chores?  

Erin and Chad are cute and I feel like they really love each other.  Why is Jessa constantly ignoring Ben?  I actually felt sorry for him in this episode, for example when he asked Jessa how her morning had gone, she basically answered snottily: fine, just packing up.  Dump him Jessa if you cannot treat him better!!! 

Cannot wait to see Josiah's high school graduation.  Wonder if Boob can come up with enough nice things to say about poor Josiah!! I think Boob is jealous because Josiah has left him in the dust intellectually and wants more out of life than a car lot

zenme

zenme

Fanatic

Posted Today, 12:30 PM

Jessa was snotty towards Ben, but I will give her a pass only because these girls are not socialized around members of the opposite sex in the same ways that other kids are...OR she's just a bitch.

Hey maybe she's realized as many do when they begin dating someone, that they don't really like them after all, now she feels like it might be harder for her to back out of--unlike in the real world.

Edited by zenme, Today, 12:33 PM.

theurbanwoman

theurbanwoman

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

I loved Erin Bate's wedding ! The love Gil has for his children is remarkable. It was better than any TV wedding Ive seen. However Erin is doing something that you will probably also see the Duggar girls do, try to recapture their lost youth. Meaning she wants a pink bedroom because she has never had one. Im sure there is going to be alot of times when the girls are going to want to experience that that most people experienced early on. 

Jill seems like she is enjoying this new phase of her life. 

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Today, 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the info on Chad's job. I was wondering if it was construction, after reading a bit of his blog. I wonder too if they will move to OK. They make a cute couple

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:30 PM

Hopefully once Erin grows out of her My Little Pony phase the pink bedroom will either be turned into a nursery or be repainted and redecorated to look more adult. At least if they have a daughter they already have a little girl's bedroom set!

deelitefuldd

deelitefuldd

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 01:38 PM

It seems like we're seeing and hearing more from JD this season.  I wonder if this is because they are trying to find a girl for him to enter into a courtship with? It seems like he would be ready for some companionship (read: sex) right about now.  If that's the plan, please change tactics Duggars and TLC, cause what we're seeing and hearing is not at all attractive or endearing.  He's coming across like an obnoxious, overgrown man-child (I know, I know, he gets it from his Daddy, lol).  Do better, JD!

SewSumi

SewSumi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 02:29 PM

Chad posted pics of their house on his blog. They only have two bedrooms. The other one has a twin bed with a cowboy theme suited to an 8 year old boy. So if they have a girl before they move to OK, assuming that's still part of their long-term plan, they're going to have to totes re-do that bedroom and the littles won't be able to stay overnight there anymore. Unless they sleep on the couch or the floors, I guess.

This bit about the kids spending the night at Cherin's place came from Kelly Bates' blog. I know she's close to her family, but she's five minutes away! Visit her on the weekends when she's not at school and he's not working. Geez, they see each other all bloody day on Sundays as it is at Gil's church, as well as Wednesday night service. Are these kids really THAT deprived of Erin's company?

Zach has a 4 bedroom place. I guess he's set for a while, both with the impending baby as well as putting up (and feeding) his siblings so Gil and Kelly don't have to.

theurbanwoman

theurbanwoman

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 02:30 PM

I think we are hearing more from JD because in all reality shows they have the one you love to hate..seems like JD is becoming that person...Cousin Amy used to hold that title for me...(but she kinda grew on me after a while)

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Today, 03:31 PM

SewSumi, I agree. I don't mind houseguests once in a while, but all the time? Oh hells to the no. My fiance wanted to buy a house next to his parents and I was like yeah, that's not happening. I think Erin moving to OK will be a good thing for both her and Chad. These families are too clingy for my taste.

mythoughtis

mythoughtis

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

Geez, they see each other all bloody day on Sundays as it is at Gil's church, as well as Wednesday night service

Kelly's blog lists a diffrent church for Chad and Erin than the church that Gil preaches at.  Gils is 'Bible Baptist Church' in the Holiday Inn.  Chad and Erin's is Temple Baptist Church.  She doesn't explain why. 

SewSumi

SewSumi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 03:57 PM

Interesting. I never noticed that they went to a different church.

It's been a wonderful week off, watching these older episodes. Just saw the one where Jason falls into the orchestra pit, busts his jaw and two front teeth (and bit through his lower lip from the looks of it). And there's Mullet, not helping, but recording this because TLC documenting it wasn't enough for her or to humiliate poor Jason later in life.

Man, I despise that woman. I really can't think of any redeeming qualities she has, despite her yammering on and on and on about "character."

eta: I have this on DVR, so I'm a little behind real time, but OH NOES! There are Mullet's blacked-out knees on the wakeboard! NIKE!!! Run and hide!

Edited by SewSumi, Today, 04:05 PM.

AlexisAnne

AlexisAnne

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 04:03 PM

The car: There's mild stuff like the glass chalk, the can's and so forth.  But putting smelly stuff under seats, in air vents, and so forth sounds like out and out vandalism to me.  Pretty un-Christianlike. 

I agree 100%. When my husband and I got married, his siblings and my brothers put a "just married" sign on the car, filled it with balloons, and tied a few tin cans to the back. It was in good fun, it was all undone in a matter of minutes. The balloons were filled with helium and floated off into the ether, so it was a bit environmentally unsound, but not all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

If someone had made our car smell bad, it probably would have made me physically sick. That was a terrible thing for JD and his cohorts to have done.

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Today, 04:22 PM

Wait, Gil preaches at the Holiday Inn? Is it in one of those small, generic conference rooms with frayed carpets, like the ones they used to use on Toddlers and Tiaras?

Until I saw the repeat of the orchestra pit episode, I'd forgotten that Jason even existed. You never hear about him. I think Jason, Jordyn, Jenny and James have just faded into the background.

essinad

essinad

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I couldn't pick Jason out of Duggar lineup. Poor kid. Some of the other former howler monkeys have started to stand out, but after years of watching, I still can't tell which one is Jason. Or Justin.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:00 PM

Wait, Gil preaches at the Holiday Inn? Is it in one of those small, generic conference rooms with frayed carpets, like the ones they used to use on Toddlers and Tiaras?

This seems to be a thing around here. There are a number of churches (generally a form of baptist or "non-denominational") that meet in hotels (one even meets in a bar; they collect tips for the waitresses who have to work the early Sunday morning hours, since they rent the space and then buy nothing.). I've heard that it makes them less intimidating to newcomers, but also more flexible for the church- when they outgrow their space, they just go and get a bigger conference room.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:11 PM

After seeing John David in action on the show the other night, I could not imagine what girl would be interested in him.  He is turning into a JB/Smuggar combo. 

Fuzzysox

Fuzzysox

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 07:05 PM

Kid farm on youtube best thing e.v.e.r.! lol 

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 07:15 PM

I hope if JD ever gets married, someone puts dead fish and dirty diapers under his car seats!  Little snot.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Today, 07:15 PM

Am I missing something? When did Chad become a nickname for Charles? I have a cousin named Charles and we NEVER called him anything remotely resembling Chad.