19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62485 replies to this topic

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 7:11 AM

I

thought the hamburgers and hot dogs were completely appropriate and tongue-in-cheek! Around here, when women have their gender ultrasound, it's commonly referred to as being a "hot dog" for a boy or a "hamburger" for a girl... because of the way the gender "parts" look on the ultrasound. YMMV

No adult Duggar is smart enough to know that

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

An open letter to Michelle Duggar:

Michelle, I have watched you and your family since 14 Kids and Counting. Recently I saw the re-run of the show that documented your loss of Jubilee. I know that losing a child is the worst pain any human can ever endure. And I say this as a fellow christian and a mother. I understand your beliefs as far as child bearing is based upon a verse in the Old Testament. Yes, we were told by God to populate the earth. But I think that mission has been accomplished to the point that the world is so overpopulated and children are literally starving to death. Yes children are a gift from God. But I believe you have been given two warnings in the past couple of years. First with Josie, and then with Jubliee. Ecclesiastes assures us that there is a season for everything, and I think your season of child bearing is over, just like it is over for every human female in a certain age range, in which you are now a part of. Even Abraham and Sarah were only blessed with two children. When you count Caleb and Jubilee, you have already been blessed ten times more than them. TEN TIMES MORE. God poured out his grace on you where Josie was concerned, but He did not with Jubilee. I think we can agree that God is no respector of persons, and he loves your elder daughters every bit as much as he loves you and Jim Bob. Maybe, just maybe in His infinite wisdom, he did not want to burden them further with another child that you and Jim Bob decide to have. The bible states in Psalm 37 that "the Lord loves justice". And I think I can speak for most people that the problem they have with your child bearing beliefs is that you are not a hands-on parents to the children you give birth to. That burden is passed on to your elder daughters. I feel certain that if you had 17 sons and two daughters you would have stopped having children 15 children ago. You would have had no choice to but to handle the heavy lifting of raising a child on your own. Sorry you lost your baby. But I believe that your elder daughters have the same right as Josh has been given. To move out and have a life of their own. You may have given birth to each and everyone of your 19 children as the intro to your show states. But you have not raised them. That burden has been passed on to Janna, Jill, Jinger and Jessa. You claim to be a fundamental Christian. Please pick up a book, the Bible specifically. Familiarize yourself with God's will. He has a divine will for your daughters and I cannot believe that raising their younger siblings is one of them. You have robbed Janna, Jill, Jinger and Jessa of the role of sister and have burdened them with hard work of raising the children that you and your husband choose to have. Please stop hoping for child #20 and be grateful for what you have already been given.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Strawburrytarte said,

What is wrong with these people, who wear constant grins and blank-eyed stares, but are adamant in expecting even their own children to be evil and sinful if not monitored 24/7.

Very good question. Here's my thought: These people believe in original sin. And for them, original sin is probably sexually based. The know that every human being, to one degree or another, is a sexual being, but they regard sexuality as deeply dangerous, with the potential to lead people into great evil. So, all young people, but particularly young women, must be policed carefully, lest they go astray. (Young women in particular, because women are, supposedly, the weaker and more dependent sex.)

Of course, the fact is that their very behavior MAKES sexuality more "dangerous": The more you limit and repress people, the bigger deal sexual activity will appear to be. I can scarcely imagine what the Duggar household is like, with the sexual drives of all those teenagers and twenty-somethings denied, blocked, and treated as sinful.

If sexuality is so dangerous, then why are Jim-Boob and J'chelle safe from it? Why, because they have each other, and they can funnel (ew) all their urges into each other. That is, only marriage, by providing a sexual object, is real protection against the dangers of sex.

On a related note, I've long thought that there are several reasons for Jim-Boob and J'chelle's constant and gag-inspiring kissing. First, it has a pedagogical purpose: It's to teach the young 'uns that sex is ok once you're married. "We're married, and you're not! Nanny, nanny, poo poo!" Second, I suspect Jim-Boob has some awareness of the importance of sexuality in defining what it means to be a man. Even though he's been with only one woman in his entire life (and sex with her must be like the proverbial hot dog in a hallway), he's gonna show the world that he's a real man: He has SEX! And with a former cheerleader! Yay, Jim-Boob!

Can you tell that these people disgust me?

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

Boob and Mullet should be teaching their daughters that they're more useful in life than just being baby factories. Maybe they don't think that way. These kids should be able to do whatever they want with their lives. It's sad that they have no say in what they do with their futures. Boob and Mullet lived normal lives, and they're depriving their children by sheltering them from the real world. Look at what an ass Smugger is. I wonder how the other kids will turn out if and when they get out of the TTH.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I noticed it once when they were in Asia. It was when JB was trying to figure out the subway system and she basically barked at him. It wasn't super obvious, with all the chaos, but I was very taken aback - that was probably a glimpse of the REAL Michelle.

The bark starts @ around 7:00.

I suspect that's still here semi-sweet voice since she was talking to Jim Bob. I'm sure the kids get noting but a sour voice when the cameras aren't rolling.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

I highly doubt that J'Chelle and Boob don't bark at each other when the cameras are off. What couple doesn't have arguments every so often? The Duggars are not perfect and they should stop acting like they are.

supie

supie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

I have MS and cannot hold my grandbabies, my arms ache to hold them. Michelle could hold her own babies and grands but she does not do it. Life an unfair thing sometimes.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

I missed that one Lilybee. Dare I ask what a breast friend is?

It was a horrendous, cape-like thing that covered Jchelle and baby-of-the-moment while said baby was nursing. I think the general consensus was that what it actually did was serve to draw lots of attention to Mullet as in "Look at me! I'm nursing a baby!". You know, a garment that is allegedly for modesty but really just calls more attention.

ReaderGirl

ReaderGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Didn't J'Chelle use that nursing contraption when the family was on some float in a parade?

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

Yes she did. The worst was at the school when she's "encouraging" all those sinful public school kids with poor Jordyn nursing under a cape, resting on that Breast Friend donut mess. All you can see are her little legs dangling out from under the cape.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

J'Chelle's definition of modesty is to draw as much attention to her as possible. That pillow was outrageous. It looked weird, I guess J'Chelle and Boob will look weird to keep their modesty in check. We saw Anna give birth on a toilet with a camera in her face. That's modest right, J'Chelle? Throw how the person in pain is thinking and feeling out the window. Do anything to make a quick buck. Even at the expense of others. What will be the next stunt these people pull? We can't see a pregnant woman's stomach but Anna can have a baby on a toilet with a male crew filming it? I don't get it

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

Didn't J'Chelle use that nursing contraption when the family was on some float in a parade?

Lord have mercy, I had forgotten all about that. I'd also forgotten about the donut pillow, it was just ridiculous.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Regarding the BreastFriend debacle:

On the box it comes in it says "CAUTION ! NOT to be used while standing. ALWAYS supervise child when in use. ALWAYS hold and support child".

So there's Michelle on a moving parade float, of all things, STANDING, both arms free to wave, thus NOT holding or supporting the baby, and under a tent made from my grandmother's old floral sheets, thus not seeing or supervising the baby at all.

Fail. Fail. Fail.

How did these kids make it through life without more concussions than an NFL player ?

Keeping a child safe is an iffy proposition even when you are vigilant and responsible - I have myself dropped a baby, my niece, when I was in my mid-teens and she did the inexplicable "I have no bones" wiggly thing that babies do - but to advertise your disregard for safety the way Michelle does is just galling.

I can recall dozens and dozens of shots from various episodes where the kids are doing things that mandate a helmet and some form of protection - bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, etc - but have no safety gear at all. JB and Michelle are more worried that they might be scarred for life by seeing a shoulder or kneecap on TV than they are about one of the Howlers cracking their skull open on that horrible tile floor.

How does the phrase go - "God protects drunks, babies and idiots". I suppose the Duggars are two-for-three on that account.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

Yes she did!

Sooooo modest.

phizzyjane

phizzyjane

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

Michelle was also using that damn breasty thing when they all drove to San Antonio to see a Christian movie fest. Michelle was saying while a sister mom hooked Jordyn up to the pillow that she was afraid they all couldn't go to the movies given she was expecting at 8 months but Jordyn arrived early which Michelle said was a blessing to the whole family...I cannot get over the raw deal Jordyn has been given in the family, treated like a nuisance before the kid's even born. Boob saying the day she was born, "she's in the Duggar family now; no turning back! To me that sounds like a sentence for the poor bub.
Can't forget the episode either when Jordyn got her head stuck in the banister, she's clearly distressed but the whole family's laughing at her with Boob saying "she's got the Duggar head!"
I want to take a pin to Michelle 's big Duggar head...pooof! Yep thought so, just hot air, nothing inside.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

To cook for that amount of people from scratch is glutton for punishment.

Agreed that would be a lot of work but she did not cook anything from scratch. She arranged vegetables, heated up frozen sliders (ack), and wrapped mini hot dogs in whack-a-dough (Sandra Lee style). I saw neither cooking or from scratch, just heating and assembly. I was actually pretty appalled to see her pull out those boxes of frozen sliders and call that dinner. This not to discount the trauma of having that unwashed uneducated manner-less horde over at all.

edited because I did not attend the SODRT and can actually spell

Edited by jcbrown, Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:20 PM.

brewerrkj

brewerrkj

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

The worst was at the school when she's "encouraging" all those sinful public school kids with poor Jordyn nursing under a cape, resting on that Breast Friend donut mess. All you can see are her little legs dangling out from under the cape.

That was also the episode in which Jana went into the Duggar parent's bedroom to get Michelle and ended up waking Boob - who's lazy ass was still in bed! So creepy! Oh yeah, "and this is our latest, Jorydn Grace, who is MY buddy!" We know J'Chelle, it can't be about anyone but you!

Edited by brewerrkj, Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:58 PM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

I find it amusing that people have come up with suggestions of what Anna should have served the multitudes at her dinner. Are you forgetting this was a "theme" party? That's why she had the baby hamburgers, little pigs (cows) in a blanket, baby carrots, etc.
It wasn't so much that she didn't know how to feed a large family (chickenetti, anyone?) but that she was going for the "baby" theme in the foods she served.

Anna complained about all the work, so more experienced cooks/moms were suggesting things that would have been easier. I don't see what's baby-themed about cows in a blanket. She could have served baby carrots, baby corn, baby peas, baby potatoes, baby spinach (salad), baby back ribs, baby bell cheese, and then some mini things, like mini quiche and mini tarts and mini-sized cookies and crackers.
The baby carriage fruit bowl was cute, but would have made more sense if it was a watermelon instead of a pumpkin. Again, more unnecessary work. Watermelons are in the stores when pumpkins are.

Here's my thought: These people believe in original sin. And for them, original sin is probably sexually based. The know that every human being, to one degree or another, is a sexual being, but they regard sexuality as deeply dangerous, with the potential to lead people into great evil. So, all young people, but particularly young women, must be policed carefully, lest they go astray. (Young women in particular, because women are, supposedly, the weaker and more dependent sex.)
Of course, the fact is that their very behavior MAKES sexuality more "dangerous": The more you limit and repress people, the bigger deal sexual activity will appear to be.

I agree with this. Most fundies are especially judgy and frightened of sexual sins, even though all sins are wrong.
Most people don't have urges to do other sins, though, like steal or murder, so those sins don't concern fundies as much. But most people have sexual urges; it's normal. And that terrifies fundies like the Duggars.
I think it's because many people who accuse/judge others of sinful behaviour only do so for things they themself would do. Like the person at work accusing others of stealing her lunch - it's because she steals other people's lunches. Or the husband who is constantly accusing his wife of cheating - it's because he is (or wants to) cheat. Or the loudmouth politician or preacher who is constantly railing against gays - it's because he's secretly carrying on a gay affair.
"Sinful" behaviour only occurs to people because they're already thinking about themself. It's a classic fundie thing. The Duggars aren't sinning this way because they're married, but they've blamed themself for using birth control (which was supposedly punished by the miscarriage of Caleb). So they've sinned, in their own minds, and assume their children will too.
At least that's how I see it.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

JimBob, at least, does seem to like little kids, and he seems to love the idea of a legion of worshipful, adoring daughters, which, while on the creepy side, is at least something. He doesn't get sick of (or threatened by) his boys until puberty, or his girls until they start to realize he's an idiot. He seems to favor Jana, Jill and Johannah, the girls who still seem to worship him. He and Joy used to seem really close until she started growing up and getting pissed off with having such a horrible family, and we hardly ever see him interact with Jessa and Jinger, the kids who won't hesitate to make fun of him on camera.

That might be the key to getting out of there. Start letting JB see that you're on to him, over him, and generally don't like him. He'll start pushing for courtships for the kids he doesn't like as much the second this show is cancelled. Now TLC should do the right thing for once and cancel the show.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Thanks to all for the "breast friend" answer. Figures it was something to make her gain more attention.

P8712- OH my Lord! on that pic you posted. I nursed babies and you can be damn sure I wouldn't have had to while standing on a float. Seriously? That woman is the biggest attention whore.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

P8712- OH my Lord! on that pic you posted. I nursed babies and you can be damn sure I wouldn't have had to while standing on a float. Seriously? That woman is the biggest attention whore.

I know they likely weren't being towed fast, but what if the float suddenly jerked to a stop? Not a very safe or sane position to be on in the front tip. I do love the 4H fair look of the float though. It's just about their level of class. (No insult to the 4H intended. They are actually a good organization that TEACHES kids, unlike the Duggars).

Edited by p8712, Apr 6, 2013 @ 10:04 PM.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

To me, it's a "nurse the baby before you get on a float" thing. lol She's just something else. Safety doesn't ever seem to be her first priority, unless maybe if it's her own. Well, now that can't be true either if she's still trying to get pregnant.

Jana

Jana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

We can't see a pregnant woman's stomach but Anna can have a baby on a toilet with a male crew filming it? I don't get it

I'm with you there, but as per the recent episode with Jana and Jill's education, there is a pregnant woman with stomach fully exposed.

And when Michelle first held Josie chest to chest, she made a point of saying something like it was ok to see Josie in only a diaper (and giant, presumably uncomfortable headbow), but seeing "Mama" that way wouldn't do at all. For the first few months of Josie's life, Josie was continually shown unclothed.

In fact, at the start of the specials, Michelle's uncovered pregnant stomach was shown; it was only later that her stomach was covered for so-called modesty reasons--reasons that don't apply to other women on the show apparently. I wonder if having so many pregnancies so close together has caused her stomach to be unsightly with loose skin and a trillion stretch marks. As I can't have children, I certainly can't speak to this, but does anyone know if it would cause lose skin like someone that has lost a lot of weight?

Finally, Michelle doesn't seem to be graying at all--I wonder if she colors her hair to improve her countenance.

phizzyjane

phizzyjane

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Either way, I think it was unfair for Anna to prepare a meal forthat ungrateful tribe of in-laws that didn't respect her property when they waited to be let in and with the diaper game, whatever happened to Anna's speech of cloth diapers are fun! Wow did that die fast with all the disposables used. As for the float with the Uterus Queen waving to the peasants, I was praying for a flat tire. Michelle just wants fame and the spotlight 24/7. Because hey, she delivered them all! Gag.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 2:32 AM

I thought it was cute/nice that Anna told Jessa about M3 before the others in an act of sibling #5 solidarity. Jinger didn't seem to like Anna much in the beginning, but I hope she gets on well with her other sisters in law and Amy. It has to suck not being allowed to have your own life and friends, so if the Duggars don't like her, she's just out of luck.

phizzyjane

phizzyjane

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 3:53 AM

Joy used to spend time a lot with Amy or Anna and now we don't see much of that relationship anymore and Joy is stuck doing laundry with grandma now. I do remember Michelle saying one when Joy was acting too tomboyish (and didn't she push Amy quite hard one time?) Michelle said she would have to take Joy aside to speak to her about being ladylike (endless loads of laundry will fix that!). It seems Anna wants to get close to the Duggar girls but I get the impression that Michelle doesn't want her to and eyes her up like an insect destined to be squashed.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 4:06 AM

Well, we can't allow the girls to really talk to anyone who isn't Mom or Dad. The girls probably don't confide much in each other for fear of being overheard by a snitch. I think Amy is probably the one they would go to with concerns like liking a boy or being miserable in life. I really wish she'd kidnap Joy-Anna. I don't like a lot of things about her, and she annoys me on the show, but she seems to be a really decent person who cares about people who aren't herself - something Michelle, JimBob and Josh will likely never understand. So of course they're going to try and keep the girls from getting close to anyone. Especially Joy, who refuses to settle into her role as a J'slave and has never really had a close sister. Of all of the Duggar girls I have the most hope for her and Jinger (I still see the old Jinger in there, more and more lately.)

In general Amy seems to get along best with the "nonconformist" Duggars - Joy, Hannie, James. It's possible she just likes them because they're the most playful and energetic, but they're also the ones who seem to suffer the most for the shitty childhoods they're being given. Hannie gets plenty of attention, sure, but she's a really smart kid who's being left to rot. James has basically been left to the wolves - no one ever really tries with him, and never has, and Michelle has always seemed to dislike him in particular (not as much as Jackson, though). And Joy, well. We all know what Joy's situation is.

Edited by McKay, Apr 7, 2013 @ 4:10 AM.

phizzyjane

phizzyjane

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 6:06 AM

Although Amy can be irritating, she does provide an example that girls can be outgoing, have their opinions -and lives, and wear jeans yet still be a Christian. This whole must-wear prairie dresses (earlier series) and double layered tops and skirts a certain length just to considered worthy to be a baby maker and a golden ticket into heaven for all their 'modesty'is just ludicrous brainwashing.
As for snitches in the family, well it would explain why no-one hangs around Jill voluntarily. Amy seems to go for the underdog.with her cousins. She should kidnap Jana and take her for a night on the town because that cousin ain't into assisting women give birth.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

The worst was at the school when she's "encouraging" all those sinful public school kids with poor Jordyn nursing under a cape, resting on that Breast Friend donut mess. All you can see are her little legs dangling out from under the cape.

Someone needs to introduce this family to the idea of a sling. Geez. You can nurse without anyone even knowing & be modest while still keeping the baby comfortable & close. IMO if you love children so much & want to have a bazillion of them you'd want to have them in a sling with you as much as you could. It only takes a little practice & you can go about your daily life wearing your baby. But what do I know I only had "enough love" for two dumplings & they were both via infertility treatment so they probably don't count. Gak, I may need to turn it off again.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

And when Michelle first held Josie chest to chest, she made a point of saying something like it was ok to see Josie in only a diaper (and giant, presumably uncomfortable headbow), but seeing "Mama" that way wouldn't do at all. For the first few months of Josie's life, Josie was continually shown unclothed.

Trust us, Michell. NOBODY WANTS TO SEE YOUR NEKKID BODY.

Although Amy can be irritating, she does provide an example that girls can be outgoing, have their opinions -and lives, and wear jeans yet still be a Christian.

Totally agree. Amy is annoying, but she does have friends, boyfriends, hobbies, and a life without 24/7 supervision. She also dresses cute.

As for the "baby burgers, baby corn, baby whatever meal," didn't they do that 20 years ago on Full House? Maybe that show is ok to watch because Kirk Cameron's sister was on it and nobody ever moved away from home.