19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62453 replies to this topic

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

New blog post is up. Michelle is basically saying her kids have hereditary dyslexia

The blog is addressing Internet concerns over their homeschooling. Michelle says they are open to professional help, and they have speech therapist friends who have helped with the kids. I guess Josie will be A-OK because of these friends.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

I call shenanigans on Michelle suddenly announcing her kids have hereditary dyslexia. IMO it sounds more like she's covering her ass in response to the scathing internet criticism she's received over the kids' shitty education. I'm not saying that the condition isn't real, but I don't believe this is the case with the Duggar kids. The bottom line is they are never home, they never do schoolwork regularly, they don't read books and they have a teenager with a GED trying to teach the basics to a horde of unruly children.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

And who are all these "friends" who will offer their so-called "professional" services to the Duggars' dyslexic kids (Michelle implies that multiple children suffer from it...who dx'ed them in the first place?) for free? I doubt these people would work with the kids in exchange for harp lessons from Jill or babysitting, or lawn mowing from Joe. IOW, if the kids are in fact dyslexic, which I have a hard time believing since they used to BRAG about how the kids "graduated" at 16, etc., why hasn't this been mentioned before so some fan with REAL credentials could work with the kids?

I suspect more than one actually has undiagnosed ADHD. I guess they're supposed to just grow out of that one or pray Satan's spirit out of the offender's body. That's how Gothard says you cure depression and cancer, why not dyslexia and other learning disabilities? It's not like Big Billy wants a literate Army for God; the more illiterate, the more ignorant of the real world, and easier to manipulate.

Too bad they'll all be living like the UK gypsies within a generation if they keep that up. Gothard's Army will essentially be reduced to white trash status.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

Dyslexia, in people so insular they don't read anything but the bible, ATI crap, prince charming level books, and casserole recipes. How convenient.

She's really saying 'it's too much work for me to educate my kids, so screw it'.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

She hasn't even "educated" them in years; Jessa is "teaching," and she can't even be patient for the time it took for TLC to get a quick shot of her doing Wisdom Booklets with the junior Howlers.

The TLC "field trips" are now supposed to be "teachable moments." It's no wonder that the younger kids appear to be far behind grade level (with the exception of Johannah, but she's slipping backward in that unregulated environment);Michelle hasn't taught anyone anything since the days of "perp-en-DICK-oooo-lur." Holding up the whiteboard for an establishing shot at the beginning of their show means about as much as Jessa's stint at the DRT: nada.

The older ones don't really seem very bright either, but at least it can be established that Smuggar's writing is not a product of someone who is dyslexic, just a pompous blowhard asshole who thinks he knows it all. DRT grammar strikes, but that's a product of poor education, not a learning disability. He is perfectly capable of expressing himself; he narrated one of the early specials!

Definitely more Duggar spin-doctoring in the face of warranted criticism about their neglected young 'uns.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Michelle, if you are reading this: YOU ARE RASING A QUIVERFUL OF BLUNTED ARROWS!

Enroll the younger kids in public or a least a good christian school before its too late.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I'm favoring lack of discipline and organization over ADHD with the kids. It's possible, of course, that a couple could have an issue but to me equally possible that it's very active child(ren) taking advantage of the chaos to avoid schoolwork and what is seen as tedious.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Didn't Johanna teach herself to read? Now she's dyslexic. Every time Michelle opens her mouth she harms the cause. her publicist needs to get her to shut up, pronto!

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

If a Duggar farts and no one is around to hear it, no worries, someone is around to give a timeline and proper background of the situation.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Lesson learned: It's ok to bring your children to professionals, but if you are homeschooling them you will totally be able to teach to their style and not need professionals.

I think if they had been in a public school setting they could have been labeled as reading-challenged. But because they were being tutored one-on-one with me I was able to just work with them and not pressure them.

Yes, your kids might get labeled. They would get labeled so professionals can help them. There are entire college majors in teaching special education students so that teachers and other educational professionals can help students with learning issues. Have you taken any classes in such a college program, Michelle? Have you had regular meetings with such professionals on the progress of your children, Michelle?

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I think it is so disgusting that the Duggars sleep in their street clothes. My favorite time of the day is when I get home from work and slip into my pjs and lay on the couch and read. It's so sad that the Duggars don't have that option. I also find it bizarre that the boys swim in their jeans!

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

If a Duggar farts and no one is around to hear it, no worries, someone is around to give a timeline and proper background of the situation.

The article is written for public viewing on the TLC website. It's not like Michelle farted her idiocy into the ether. I'd love to see them address this on the show, but I think it's a pretty good bet that, like Josie's supposed therapy, it will be shoved to the wayside as an issue that won't be of interest to the viewers. I personally think the opposite is true; people have wondered for years how the Duggars hit the lottery with their kids. Now we know they aren't as "perfect" as they were made to appear.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Michelle, if you are reading this: YOU ARE RASING A QUIVERFUL OF BLUNTED ARROWS!

Hee, I love it. You would think that the Duggars and Gothard would want the best, brightest, strongest, most determined, etc. Instead, it seems, they want to be the most mediocre, average, and uninteresting they could be.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

The blog is addressing Internet concerns over their homeschooling. Michelle says they are open to professional help, and they have speech therapist friends who have helped with the kids. I guess Josie will be A-OK because of these friends.

Anyone who gives them free items, free labor or money becomes "our good friends."

Edited by AllisonJenny, May 4, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

Hannah Leah

Hannah Leah

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

If makes me so mad they don`t get them help. If you can`t read you are pretty much handicapped from jobs, the real world, driving etc.

Teachers who teach first and second grade. Do you still have reading groups? People who don`t cacth on as fast.?

Strayanlass

Strayanlass

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

This has probably been discussed before and I missed it but is Michelle's parentables written by a ghost writer or just really heavily edited?

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Does anyone know if the modesty thing carry on when jimbob and jchelle have sexy time together. Are they allowed to show their bodies to each other or is it quick nighty up job?

I could be completely wrong about this so please do not think I am being rude, but I thought according to the Christian Bible or somewhere, that sex is ONLY to have children and not for pleasure. Meaning, although husband and wife can see each other naked, they aren't supposed to really enjoy the act of sex. I'm sure for them by this point they can't really feel anything anyways so they might as well use a turkey baster. This helps with the thought that the girls room is basically next door though, I'm sure nothing exciting happens in the bedroom.

If makes me so mad they don`t get them help. If you can`t read you are pretty much handicapped from jobs, the real world, driving etc.

That's the point.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

Teachers who teach first and second grade. Do you still have reading groups? People who don`t cacth on as fast.?

Yes and no. To totally segregate can put a stigma on the kids who are in the lower end of the curve; it depends on the kids. Some work with peers at about the same level works best with the average-high achievers; the lower achievers may have undiagnosed LD's and are often a harder group to retain full attention. Since the Duggars teach multiple kids at the same grade level for ease of teaching material, they could do what I find is very effective: group everyone from maybe Jenny, who's almost 5, to Justin together. Justin can read at his level and also help the slower or beginning readers. Even Hannie, who I think is quite bright, could help with both Jenny and Jackson, whom I think reads well below grade level (he'd be around 2nd grade, I think). I remember seeing his autograph during the book last summer and even writing his own name, the first thing kids learn, was at the level of a pre-schooler. I also worry about James and as I noted above, Joe. At least Joe has mechanical talent to fall back on, but who knows...James, Jackson or any others may not have sales or physical labor skills and will have to learn to read beyond functional literacy to get by.

I hate that the kids are the losers in this cult. Smuggar is just the beginning; he's the poster child of the young adult freed from parental repression. He's abusing just about everything he can get his hands on, save drugs and booze.

Emandbaby

Emandbaby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I could be completely wrong about this so please do not think I am being rude, but I thought according to the Christian Bible or somewhere, that sex is ONLY to have children and not for pleasure. Meaning, although husband and wife can see each other naked, they aren't supposed to really enjoy the act of sex.

No no no, most definitely not from the Bible. There's a whole book of the Bible about two lovers enjoying each others bodies and praising each others looks. There's also a section in the New Testament that talks about how married people should have lots of sex as long as they want to. According to the Bible, sex is not just for procreation, it's also for fun and for intimacy. I don't think the Duggars would go so far as to say that they can't enjoy sex, but they do have a hang-up about not at least trying to procreate, which is not in the Bible. A lot of what the Gothard people believe is not from the Bible.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

I noticed in Michelle's blog, that she talks about teaching in the past tense; it's all about the things that she did and not what she's doing. But then she says something about having taught 19 kids and, come on, Josie is 2 years old, Jordyn is about 3, isn't Jenn under 5? How much actual "schooling" have they been getting?

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Hey, didn't Mullet put the little girls (Josie and Jordyn, IIRC) in front of a computer screen at some point and said they were learning because they were watching that Life at the Pond crapola? I think she seriously thinks that counts as "teaching." Good catch on the tense usage.

The biblical post came in as I was typing my last post. Unfortunately, they interpret Song of Solomon as an allegory of God and Church. However, the metaphors fall apart since the text is at times interchangeable between the man/woman God/Church. It wouldn't work with the latter since God can love the Church, but the Church must worship God; there's a hierarchy that doesn't exist in the entirely equal existence of the couple in SoS.

However, I have no idea how enjoyable sex can be; you could probably lose a bowling ball down that log flume. It would be right at home in Mullet's uterus, IF the poor, tired thing could keep it incubated at this season in her life.

Edited by Pauline Fowler, May 5, 2012 @ 12:46 AM.

Emandbaby

Emandbaby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Unfortunately, they interpret Song of Solomon as an allegory of God and Church.

Yeah, a sad, inaccurate, and outdated (like Middle Ages) interpretation. But if they can twist the Bible to say that Jesus turned water into grape juice (that magically got people drunk), I guess they can twist whatever passages they'd like. Gothard seems to have a knack for that.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:55 AM

Emandbaby - Great post ! Thank you, as you said what I TRIED to say but eventually just erased. Yes, recreational sexy-time gets a definite thumbs-up in the Bible. Just disregard the stuff where Lot gets down with his daughters, post-salt-pillar wife. Seems like MOST religions have a pro-sex stance, just as long as procreation is a part of it. You have to ENJOY sex to make all the babies, no ? When I think of texts and teachings from Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc, etc, it's a VERY erotic world out there. Funny that ancient, established religions are ALL about doin' the dirty, but ones of more modern (19th & 20th century) construct are so uptight and freaky. Gothards. Branch Davidians. Excommunicated FLDS/polygamists. Whatever-the-hell those people are at the airport wearing pajamas. And on and on.

Oh, and TOO funny that Gothards love to turn water into wine into grape juice. What, do they have a majority share in Welch's ? Wine is a FACT of civilization and man's evolution. EVERY culture, including that of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, etc, had alcohol in some form. Evolving from beast-to-man is basically water, food, shelter, safety, comfort, entertainment, self-awareness, and then making alcohol. Not a sin to cop to Jesus providing miracle libations at a friend's wedding. If you don't drink, then that's just fine, certainly, but not a reason to corrupt and subvert the very book you claim to live by.

I'm still astounded by the lack of REAL education on this show, so it was no surprise that Michelle has tried and failed so miserably to do a PR spin on why her kids are so desperately deficient and behind their real-world peers. I have SEVEN teachers in my family, grade school to college (Go, NYU !) and they ALL agree that the sing-song, point-at-the-picture-and-repeat method Michelle employs is a freaking disaster. She can't possibly think that "teaching" the same lesson to an age range of 15+ years at a time could be effective. Did Josh, Jana, and JD REALLY learn their shapes and colors while Jackson is an expert on bankruptcy ? They can flawlessly pronounce "perpendicular" but can't tell you what it means ? Oh, and travel the freaking WORLD but come away with nothing more than "It was neat" or "The food is weird" ?

They aren't "raising" their children, they're FARMING them. Spitting out carbon-copies of their dull, vapid selves, with far, far less tools and education that they had the good fortune to have. I think of my own tearful, beaming pride when my kids surpassed me in math (yeah, not so good at the math) or when my oldest LittleNoPity chose his major in college. I want to watch my children BE more and DO more than I was ever able to and remember my encouragement and support, but JB and Michelle are content to not just LIMIT their kids accomplishments/abilities - they SUPPRESS them. Never, ever letting the girls work outside the house (who DOESN'T have a job at 19-20-21 ?) and making the boys entirely dependent on JB's largesse to GIVE them a business ?

Meh, and meh again, Duggars. Don't want to say "I told you so", but I'll be keeping an eye out fin 5-10 years for an illiterate, bedraggled, homeless J-Spawn soliciting donations on the side of the highway with a poorly-scrawled, barely legible sign.

"Will sing Amazing Grace For Food"

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Ok, again, I am only asking because I do not know, but I thought the reason they baptized babies was because they were "sinners from birth" because they were created through sin so they have to be baptized to get rid of the sin and be protected. Or something? And by they I mean, whichever religion does baptism, I know not all of them do.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

It was initially a learning curve for me, too. The times that the kids were struggling I'd think, "Oh, my, I'm not a good teacher. I'm not getting it across." I had to figure out their minds worked. It was amazing -- some excelled in English but not math, while others were great at math but had a hard time English.

J'chelle's whole blog post is irritating, but the general theme that it reveals, I think, is that she, a high school grad, is capable of adequately teaching every one of her 19 children, and can even do a better job than public schools and trained teachers. The conceit of this notion is overwhelming.

I myself have more than one university degree, but would never have considered homeschooling my two kids; I knew I could not be an adequate teacher of calculus, physics, or chemistry; my grasp of foreign languages is not strong enough; and I do not know sufficient history to be able to do a good job.

J'chelle's idea of good teaching is to have a kid learn to read better by reading to a "three-year-old sibling". I know there is an idea out there that people learn from teaching others, but the possibilities are definitely limited. If everyone could simply learn by teaching others, there would be no need for expertise, no need for experience. But it's ridiculous to suppose I could learn Spanish, for example, by trying to teach it to my little brother.

The only reason J'chelle can continue to have such a high opinion of herself as a teacher is that her standards of accomplishment for her children are so low. As far as I can tell, if a child reaches the equivalent of approximately grade 8 (adequate reading, minimal writing, some ability to do arithmetic) then J'chelle considers that child to be educated; in fact, the child is *completely* educated, and needs to learn nothing more--despite J'chelle's frequent yammer about life-long learning.

It is a crime to treat children this way, and I could almost cry to think of how deprived smart little Johannah, in particular, is going to be.

Edited by Analytica49, May 5, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

A QUIVERFUL OF BLUNTED ARROWS!

Needs to be this board's new subtitle.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

"Will sing Amazing Grace For Food"

I see them scratching out hymns on the violin for change.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

Ok, again, I am only asking because I do not know, but I thought the reason they baptized babies was because they were "sinners from birth" because they were created through sin so they have to be baptized to get rid of the sin and be protected. Or something? And by they I mean, whichever religion does baptism, I know not all of them do.

I'm Catholic, and we get babptized because we have 'original sin' on our souls due to Adam and Eve disobeying God in the garden of eden. The nuns taught us in the late 50s that unbaptized people don't go to heaven, they go to limbo. Which is different from purgatory.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I got a precious little keepsake of a "Mommy, I love you" picture with the literally the whole message written backwards -- if you put it up to a mirror it looked perfect! The next week they might write a word correctly and then the following week it would be incorrect, and we'd go over the lessons again and it would eventually click for them.

Oh that's just priceless. Is she trying to say that she has diagnosed (some of) her kids as dyslexic because one of them wrote in mirror-writing?! Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. She kills me.

I'd give them examples in history of people who were great, amazing scientists and amazing people, but struggled academically in school

Snort! I'd love to see her list of "amazing" scientists. Besides pulling a couple of names out of her half-empty skull could she actually explain what they achieved? "Sir Fig Newton had an apple fall on his head, so then he invented gravity! And Einstein-- you know Einstein, he was a really famous guy-- he flunked out of math class but then he invented some really complicated math! And Pavlov invented dogs. And Madame Curry invented X-Rays even though she was a girl!"

I was just readingThe Aquariums of Pyongyang, a memoir about growing up in a prison camp in North Korea. The author relates how he first heard Christian Radio broadcasts from South Korea and how comforting they were to him. His whole life he had been taught that people were bad and needed to be policed constantly because they were so lazy and fraudulent. That each citizen of North Korea needed to spy on every other citizen and watch for the tiniest infractions. That left to their own devices people would be selfish and look to their own needs first instead of serving Kim Jong Il every waking moment.

Then he managed to tune into forbidden radio programs from South Korea and for the first time he heard messages of hope and goodwill. Instead of being condemnatory and critical, the Christian message was one of understanding and brotherly love. It was life-changing.

As an atheist I tend to forget that religion can be a positive force in one's life. It can bring happiness and peace. It can be fulfilling. It can lead to selfless acts and goodwill to all. It is so sad that the Duggars have chosen the path of restrictions and privation without embracing the joyful, positive side of religion.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Ex-fundie here. The church I grew up in subscribed to Gothard's teachings hook, line and sinker. It took a long time to deprogram.

It is a matter of time before there is the expose to end all exposes on the Duggards. When that happens, their income will dry up overnight. It doesn't matter how much Jim Bob has in the bank by "buying used and saving the rest". He won't be able to keep up with the alleged $3,000 per month food bill, let alone buying anything at all.

The oldest daughters will be able to find work as nannies. Compared to cooking, cleaning and "teaching" a family of 21, any outside work would almost be a vacation.

Most parents would be alarmed and horrified to know that their eight-year-old doesn't know how to read. Michelle Duggar writes a blog post about it, right after some time on the elliptical, and sexytime with her husband...