19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62442 replies to this topic

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

I think everybody says Duck tape (sort of like fishsticks/fish-dicks) :).

I can truly say that I have never, not once, thought fish-dicks for fishsticks. But now that is all I will think. LMAO

As for interests, each kid is forced to play at least two musical instruments, whether they like it or not (violin and piano), and some of them have picked up a third (the oldest girls, minus Jessa I think, play the harp, and Josiah plays the cello). Hymns and classical are the only types of music the kids are allowed to hear or play. Jill is learning Spanish and displays a genuine interest in doing missionary work (she's the only one who ever seems really moved by it, and the only one who's really tried to learn Spanish to communicate with the people they meet.) The boy twins like art. Jeremiah likes chess. Jed is into filmmaking. Jinger like photography; Jessa used to. Joy liked knitting and sports at one point and Jana used to enjoy sewing. Jason, I think, claims to like science, but we all know what kind of science is taught in that house. James on down don't really seem to have many interests besides making trouble.

Wow McKay, I think you just proved that you know more about the kids than Clown Car does! :0)

Edited by kelslamu, May 3, 2012 @ 4:17 AM.

billysmum

billysmum

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

I must have been bad in a previous life being infertile. I had ivf and donated remaining embryos to research.
I remember an episode when jchelle was at the charity store and one of the kids spotted a tshirt with Clifford the red dog on it so maybe they do watch some tv?

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

commanderclue - your whole post had me nodding in agreement. Yes, Michelle perpetualy looks like she was nailed with a hippo tranquilizer from Wild Kingdom, NONE of the kids ever enjoy a genuine "kid" moment with unabashed happiness or uninhibited laughter, and JB is just a grinnin', droolin' bumpkin. Har Har Har. (Drives to bank to pick up money. Joke's on us.)

So sad that they don't have any ACTUAL interests, hobbies, collections, etc. What a barren, hollow life they must have. Sure, they think things are "neat" or "amazing", but I've never seen anyone REALLY be passionate about something. Like when my kids went apeshit NUTS about dinosaurs, and ate-slept-breathed Whateverasaurus for five years. Or started to like the Beatles (Yay, good influence, Mom !) Or when I threw myself into studying religious art just for the aesthetic value. Or when my hubby wanted to learn to speak Italian, and DAMN if he didn't give it a fair shot. Ciao !

But, no, everything in Duggarland is just "meh". Just exist, maintain, exist. No real joy, no real pain. Average, middle-of-the-road. Mediocrity is the rule. Don't fail, but don't excel. Keep calm and carry on. Plod, plod, plod.

I would get banned here for LIFE if I ever tried to list the things that I love and find fulfilling or meaningful (Okay, maybe a few. 19th Century British prose. Anything "Star" - Wars and Trek. Old cameras. ANY post-Apocalyptic-themed movie. Baseball game peanuts.) But I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a list of HALF that size for the ENTIRE family. All freaking twenty-million of them ! Yeah, they "play" instruments, but it's so half-assed and bereft of any love of music that it makes a 1st grade rendition of "Hot Cross Buns" sound like Carmina Burana. They think volunteering is "neat", but they're NEVER on time, rarely show any real hustle or work ethic, and spend most of their time either eating the FREE food or expounding on how cool they are on camera. And they LOVE children - every single garden-flower-blossom-precious-miracle-blessing-angel, but won't buy them decent shoes or a proper bed.

To JB and MIchelle, the blessing is in the production, not the product. Pop it out and move on.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

But, no, everything in Duggarland is just "meh". Just exist, maintain, exist. No real joy, no real pain. Average, middle-of-the-road. Mediocrity is the rule. Don't fail, but don't excel. Keep calm and carry on. Plod, plod, plod.

So true, NoPity1066. When I try to imagine what it is like to be a Duggar, this is the roadblock I come upon. So much of real life outside Duggar-land involves having interesting or exciting events to look forward to. Or projects, hobbies, or goals to work on. Without the prospect of a pregnancy, what are Jim-Boob and J'chelle planning for? The next big speaking engagement?

The younger Duggarlings don't get to wake up all excited about playing a big soccer game, or going to a friend's birthday sleepover, or even just finishing an engrossing book.

The situation for the teen and early-twenty Duggars is maybe the worst. Adolescence can be hard, but surely it is even worse when your horizons are so narrow. What do they look forward to? Is Jessa's highlight buying some new mascara? Does Jed feel thrilled about practising his violin? Does Jinger wake up happy when she doesn't have to clean the boys' toilets?

The dullness of Duggar life may help to explain Smuggar's focus on food. He can't talk publicly about sex; he never gets to have a beer or a glass of wine; his "job" is pointless and his "political" activity ineffectual; all he can get enthused about is carb-laden, fat-saturated fast food.

I sure hope their spiritual life is giving these people some joy (though I don't know why it would). Because it's more than obvious that nothing else is.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Another question, have they ever eaten fresh vegetables?

They have had salad on the table, bought vegetables trays, and I've seen the older girls cut up tomatoes and lettuce. It's nothing near the quantity of fresh vegetables seen at my house, but I have seen them not and again on the show.

Penthilisea

Penthilisea

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

I remember an episode when jchelle was at the charity store and one of the kids spotted a tshirt with Clifford the red dog on it so maybe they do watch some tv?

Clifford the Big Red Dog tv series is based on a classic series of children's books.
We know Josh has a TV and watches it, however, I don't believe the at-home kids watch any TV at all. Wonder if Mack and Michael watch TV at home, and if they then try and talk about it with their 'aunts and uncles'?

coldheather

coldheather

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Every time I see Michelle in a TH, I wonder why they can't get a professional make-up artist to get rid of the shine on her face. Now, thinking about the lack of healthy food in the house, I wonder if the shine is the fat from TTC oozing from her pores.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Every time I see Michelle in a TH, I wonder why they can't get a professional make-up artist to get rid of the shine on her face. Now, thinking about the lack of healthy food in the house, I wonder if the shine is the fat from TTC oozing from her pores.

I don't know if you watch the show in hi-def, but I do and I've noticed they all have horrible skin. Blackheads,pimples, bumps, huge pores, greasiness, blech. I know some of that is genetic and some is due to the teen acne phase, but diet plays a huge role as well. Eating an overabundance of processed sugar and starch creates inflammatory reactions within your tissues leading to skin problems. Not to mention the girls probably use dollar store makeup which doesn't help either.

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I assumed that the Clifford the Red Dog t-shirt was bought at a thrift shop, and not chosen because any of the kids know the TV show.

It's hard to fault the Duggars for limiting the kids' exposure to TV when there are so many merchandising tie-ins. Can you imagine all those Howlers begging for Transformers?

But the Duggar way is also twisted - still can't forget Jim Boob forcing JiCanNotTellThemApart to pick out a used trumpet or something for his birthday present.

I wonder if they ever get to visit friends without all 19+ squeezing onto the bus and visiting too? I understand that the parents don't ever want to let the kids to visit someone one-on-one in case they do something inappropriate like show each other their knees, but are they ever allowed to just be kids in groups of three or four with someone outside of the family?

coldheather

coldheather

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

LaffyTaffy, I do watch in HD, and ITA with your assessment. I give the teens a pass (poor Josiah!), but if everyone is as genetically predisposed to bad skin as they are to motion sickness, that should be extra incentive to eat well.

edited because of poor editing the first time around.

Edited by coldheather, May 3, 2012 @ 4:12 PM.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

So sad that they don't have any ACTUAL interests, hobbies, collections, etc. What a barren, hollow life they must have.

I've been feeling sorry for Michelle lately. I know, she brought it on herself ...and what about the kids....and so on. However her life seems so sad and dreary to me and I got to thinking that all the things I enjoy in life, she has cut herself off from doing. Going out to eat. Buying a pretty new dress or sexy shoes. Going out to the movies. Picking up a bestseller or an old favorite to read. Gardening. Gourmet cooking. Discovering new music. Trying a new hairstyle or color. Going to the beach or walking in the woods. In short anything and everything that adds zest to my life, she has decided is too worldly (I didn't mention hot sexy time with Mr. Jane because I am going to assume she enjoys that as well.)

In fact if I was locked up in prison I think I would still enjoy my life better. She has made a prison for herself and it is suffocating. I wonder if she ever regrets her lifestyle choice? What is it that she gets to look forward to? Listening to Jim Boob's Bible study? Listening to the Bible on CD play over and over each night? Another meal of bland, forgettable glop? Putting on her tired old clothes and standing in front of a bunch of Republican ladies at church lunch giving her canned speech?

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Oh, coldheather and LaffyTaffy, now I've been turned off from HD television FOREVER. Bad skin in HD is just heinous. So, SO not a sin, flaw or personal failing to have skin problems (sometimes just genetic no matter how often you wash or what you eat) but it IS a PARENTAL failing to not address the problem when it occurs. It's like not getting braces for your kids - it's an addressable problem that can REALLY affect your path in life. I was Bucky-McOverbite as a kid, and my early grade school pictures are simply devastating to me. Thank God I had parents who saw the problem and had me fully-braced by age 10.

I can't imagine the pain of going through bad skin, though. Braces can be hidden (just don't ever open your mouth or smile !) but your face is, well, just OUT there. HELLO ! Here's my face !

Most of what I see, though, in the Duggars looks like it's just a lack of common, proper hygiene. Like they have a good "base", but they're just not washing enough or exfoliating. Despite my bad-bad-bad, crooked teeth, I was blessed with really good skin, but it takes WORK. Limit your sun exposure, drink water (not soda out of a styrofoam cup !) and get enough sleep on a clean, comfortable bed.

Wait, what am I saying ? Load up the sheetless floor-mattresses and dirty Pack-N-Plays ! Put sweaty, grimy kids to bed in their street clothes ! Yeah, I WANT to wear jeans or a long denim skirt while sleeping. Sounds like a hoot. Sign me up.

For being so "blessed" they live like goddamn hobos.

PennyE

PennyE

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I've been feeling sorry for Michelle lately. I know, she brought it on herself ...and what about the kids....and so on. However her life seems so sad and dreary to me and I got to thinking that all the things I enjoy in life, she has cut herself off from doing. Going out to eat. Buying a pretty new dress or sexy shoes. Going out to the movies. Picking up a bestseller or an old favorite to read. Gardening. Gourmet cooking. Discovering new music. Trying a new hairstyle or color. Going to the beach or walking in the woods. In short anything and everything that adds zest to my life, she has decided is too worldly

I would like to add: watching her children enter their first day of kindergarten. Sitting in the audience of their grade school concerts. Going to school open house and seeing their proud faces as they show off their art work and introduce her to their teacher. Cheering for them as they play on a sports team of their choice with their peers. Taking them to swim lessons in normal swimwear. Letting them wear shorts and tee shirts to play in. Attending their band concerts, orchestra concerts, music competitions, sports championships, cheer squads,extra-curricular activities. Wiping away tears as they walk down the aisle at their high school graduation. Seeing them off to college (more tears). Watching them grow into young healthy adults and find their career, partner/spouse, etc. Not only do the Duggars deny their children these things, but they are denying themselves all the things most parents take great pride in. Why is this family worthy of a TV show?

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Have they ever addressed how bed wetting and the no sheets thing works out? I guess only secret sinners wet the bed.

(Obligatory Trashcan Man reference here)

billysmum

billysmum

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Does anyone know if the modesty thing carry on when jimbob and jchelle have sexy time together. Are they allowed to show their bodies to each other or is it quick nighty up job?

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

It's my understanding that the whole "modesty" thing is to make sure that only a woman's husband gets to see her bare flesh. It's really just taking the concept that a woman must be a virgin on her wedding night to an even more ridiculous extreme; not only must she never have had sex, but no other man can ever have looked at her in any way that could be construed as sexual. Michelle can show her naked body to Jim Bob, but it's strictly for his eyes only.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I can truly say that I have never, not once, thought fish-dicks for fishsticks. But now that is all I will think. LMAO

It's an entire South Park episode.

But getting back OT; I just can't fathom how two people with a relativly normal upbringing, could live their lives by the strange teachings of some bitter, old coot who's never even been married and definitely has a problem with women. What the hell was the attraction?
I mean the minister that married them seems so sweet and normal, what drove them to the extreme, guilt?

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I mean the minister that married them seems so sweet and normal, what drove them to the extreme, guilt?

My guess would be insecurity on Boob's part and self-centeredness on Michelle's. In the real world Boob is a dweeb, but in Gothard circles he's King Shit. Most of the Gothard men we've seen are pasty losers who in real life would probably have to pay a fifty year old hooker if they wanted to get laid. Yet in the cult they're patriarchs, leaders, providers and masters of their domain.

As for Michelle, the cult lifestyle suits her narcissism. She's taken care of, doesn't have to work, doesn't have to cook, clean or raise kids, still gets to maintain some independence, still gets to visit high school friends and is envied by all her peers. She's still the head cheerleader at 45.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I think I have a plausible reason why the boy's beds only have sheets. Another Gothard family said they were verboten because boys have certain...tendencies. Not so much for girls, I guess, at least in Duggarthought. Bewtween that thought and the cameras, I am even more squicked out by these people and trust me, I didn't think that was possible once Smuggar began to post his Life in Food on social media.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I've been feeling sorry for Michelle lately. I know, she brought it on herself ...and what about the kids....and so on. However her life seems so sad and dreary to me and I got to thinking that all the things I enjoy in life, she has cut herself off from doing. Going out to eat. Buying a pretty new dress or sexy shoes. Going out to the movies. Picking up a bestseller or an old favorite to read. Gardening. Gourmet cooking. Discovering new music. Trying a new hairstyle or color. Going to the beach or walking in the woods. In short anything and everything that adds zest to my life, she has decided is too worldly (I didn't mention hot sexy time with Mr. Jane because I am going to assume she enjoys that as well.)

In fact if I was locked up in prison I think I would still enjoy my life better. She has made a prison for herself and it is suffocating. I wonder if she ever regrets her lifestyle choice? What is it that she gets to look forward to? Listening to Jim Boob's Bible study? Listening to the Bible on CD play over and over each night? Another meal of bland, forgettable glop? Putting on her tired old clothes and standing in front of a bunch of Republican ladies at church lunch giving her canned speech?

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Michelle. She gets to hang around her high school buddies, buy fake hair pieces and run off to conferences / trade shows where they pay her $$$ to share half assed stories. You know she probably doesn't sit in a crappy Motel 8 reading her Bible and eating a brown bag lunch at those conferences either, either. She probably treats herself to a movie and some fancy schmancy restaurant dinner. And I'm pretty sure Michelle dyes her hair now anyway.

Clifford the Big Red Dog tv series is based on a classic series of children's books.
We know Josh has a TV and watches it, however, I don't believe the at-home kids watch any TV at all. Wonder if Mack and Michael watch TV at home, and if they then try and talk about it with their 'aunts and uncles'?

Since Josh watches Tori and Dean's tv show, he probably lets the kids watch Sesame Street or whatever else kids watch

Edited by AllisonJenny, May 3, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

Since Josh watches Tori and Dean's tv show, he probably lets the kids watch Sesame Street or whatever else kids watch

On twitter he mentioned watching the Prez on a late nite show, Jimmy Fallon? I bet they watch a lot of "forbidden" stuff when the cameras are not around.

debbielove

debbielove

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

The reason why Bill Gothard was so popular in the 1970s and 1980s was because he promised parents frightened by the 60s counterculture that he could make their children immune to rebellion. However, this could only be done by making the family a bunker, not only for the kids but the parents. If you decide to go the ATI route, everybody has to sacrifice their freedom and enter into narrow, frightening world. Other restrictive religious groups, such as Hasidic Jews or the Amish have the advantage of community. People who have left these groups, for whatever reason, will often continue to extoll the close-knit nature of their former religions. However, there is no real ATI community. There are just families that follow the ATI curriculum and they are spread out all over the country. The ATI families we have seen on the show are all isolated in some way, and that's because the family is everything in Gothardism. There are no communities, just families. Although Michelle seems to have contact with her pre-Gothard friends, that's really not supposed to be the case; I think JB is supposed to be her only friend under the ATI guidelines.

I think I have a plausible reason why the boy's beds only have sheets. Another Gothard family said they were verboten because boys have certain...tendencies.

How cold does it get in Arkansas? We've seen at least one episode with the family in an ice storm, so the weather can be very severe. Did the boys have to sleep in coats and gloves because they weren't allowed to have blankets? If so, that's quite cruel, to be denied proper bedding because your parents have an unhealthy fixation with sex.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Michelle is nothing more than the incubator for these kids. The older girls are the real providers. She doesn't know how to be a mother to them, and besides Josie, didn't really try with any of the younger kids. How does she keep winning Mother Of The Year awards when she does not care for her kids? Let's see how much she knows about the younger kids. The ones that got shafted in the 20 Years: 20 Duggars special, when all she accounted, was details about their births. What's Jackson's favorite color? When did Jordyn start walking? I don't think that Michelle knows these things about her kids, because she doesn't care for them. I bet you that Jana, Jessa, Jill and Jinger would know the answers though. Michelle is a fraud!

emanze

emanze

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Did the boys have to sleep in coats and gloves because they weren't allowed to have blankets?

I can guarantee the house is heated to a toasty 72 degrees at all times, given that the Duggars don't believe in global warming, and NEVER talk about utility bills needing to be lowered. They use a dryer for their umpteen loads of laundry every day.

billysmum

billysmum

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I always wonder why they don't line dry their washing.

zoomama

zoomama

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

line-drying would be just another chore for the girls....

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Does Michelle do anything, besides get pregnant, nurse kids, and do the occasional speaking engagement about how losing a baby 25 years ago made her change her whole life? It sure doesn't seem like it. Be a mom to the kids that you had. Your daughter's didn't choose this life. You did. Be a mom to your kids.

burbankbaby

burbankbaby

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Michelle's job is to have everyone cater to her! She is the queen after all!

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

New blog post is up. Michelle is basically saying her kids have hereditary dyslexia, without calling it that (although she links to it under one of the words). She claims they're better off homeschooled because they'd just get labeled in public schools as "reading challenged." I feel really bad for the kids because she's under the delusion that not pushing them = "you'll get better if you just practice reading this story to your toddler brother." If Michelle is that ignorant and unresponsive about something like dyslexia, imagine how poor Josie is going to fare with whatever issues she has. It especially upsets me because some of my cousins had hereditary dyslexia and it really helped them that adults were responsible enough to say "You have to do these dyslexia specific work exercises for school. It's hard, but you need to stick with it."

In this old blog post (linked to in the article), Michelle considers it "overloading" on 4 year old Josh that she taught him colors, phonics, Go Fish, etc. That's not pushing a kid too hard, lady, it's called doing your job. Ugh

Edited by AllisonJenny, May 4, 2012 @ 5:28 PM.

ukgirl

ukgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

In this old blog post (linked to in the article), Michelle considers it pushing too hard that she taught 4 year old Josh colors, phonics, Go Fish, etc. That's not pushing a kid too hard, lady, it's called doing your job. Ugh

Well if thats pushing a four year old, then my sister should be done for child abuse - my nephew is two and knows his numbers to 10 and the primary colors.

Stupid woman, she bugs me so much!