19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62491 replies to this topic

Hannah Leah

Hannah Leah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

they can use bunk beds in the girls room.

tvmakesmesew

tvmakesmesew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

Just for perspective, where I live the cost of living is much higher than in Tonitown, but here you can VERY comfortably raise a family of four on $100k a year, including nice vacations and saving quite a bit for college. JB's family is five times that size, and he's easily (as far as I can compute, at least) making at least half-a million annually at this point, even being conservative with the speaking fees, so why the continued appearance of penury ? Why the two-goddamn-dollar flip-flops in slippery, dirty, even cold environments ? Why the continued use of the phrase "Buy used and save the difference" on every episode ?

All the kids have appeared on the show for free- the boys may get to see some of the money later when they need to open up a towing business or get a home ready for wifey, the girls will never see their earnings, it'll likely just get handed over to the new headship in the form of a dowry.

MrBoddy2005

MrBoddy2005

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

They Should Name The Next One John-Boy

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

She gives me the same vibes as Miss Hannigan from Annie, except without the drinking. Like you can tell on camera she's all "Oh dear, I would be sad without my little lambs" but off camera she feels like "yuck, all these brats." Either that or the really spaced out blonde mom from The Help, the one Maybelline the maid said didn't need to have any more kids.

Heh, Abilene.

But yeah I totally get the Miss Hannigan vibe from Michelle!! For someone with 19 children, she doesn't seem to know much or care much about children other than on the surface. Maybe she did at one point, but she's so worn down that she just doesn't have the energy to care anymore.

The flip flop thing doesn't bother me really, because when I lived in LA everyone wore flip flops pretty much everywhere. My husband loves when it starts to get warm because it means he can finally ditch the shoes and wear flip flops for a few months. Granted, he would not wear them to hike someplace or do a lot of the inappropriate things the girls do in them. But maybe that's just what they prefer? But buying the little kids with developing feet used shoes is awful. If you can't afford new shoes for your kid, you do what you have to and that's totally fine, they need food more than shoes. But the Duggars can freaking afford new shoes for growing feet!

They just have such weird priorities. I mean, they are so much about their appearance and things on the surface being perfect. But then they show used shoes, poor diets and bad behavior (the howlers).

Jimbob Snip It

Jimbob Snip It

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

I can totally agree with the reference to The Help. Michelle is like Mae Mobley's mom. Abileen cared more about the little girl than her mother ever did; kind of like complete strangers on these boards care more about Joy Anna's lack of Joy than her own parents. Also, it seemed like the mom in the movie just had the little girl because Hilly Holbrook had a baby and it was the "in" thing to do. Maybe Michelle just has babies to fill her quiverfull quota.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Maybe Michelle just has babies to fill her quiverfull quota.

I think we have a winner! There is a definite quantity over quality thing going with Michelle and I believe the roots are in Quiverful and related philosophies. Michelle might have related to her kids better if she hadn't come to believe she needed to have a horde. That lead to valuing them as numbers rather than individuals.

Jimbob Snip It

Jimbob Snip It

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Speaking of Joy Anna, it looks like the poor girl has got herself a fan site! I just found a new forum on yuku. I think it's called freejoyanna.yuku.com. Or Free Joyless Joy Duggar. I love Joy for some reason, she's one of my favorite kids. It's just sad that she had to be born a J girl.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

she's all "Oh dear, I would be sad without my little lambs" but off camera she feels like "yuck, all these brats." Either that or the really spaced out blonde mom from The Help, the one Maybelline the maid said didn't need to have any more kids.

Spot on, great references. I too believe Michelle is one way when the cameras are rolling and a different way when they're off. I always catch those quick expressions of irritation and annoyance any time one of the little ones dares to seek attention. I don't see her as someone who particularly enjoys children, which is rather ironic. When she was giving Joy the driving lesson I half expected her to keep glancing at her watch like, "can we hurry up and get this shit over with?, I need to get on my elliptical."

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I remember how snotty Micheele was when Jill and Jana had their wisdom teeth out. Granted its not giving birth to NINETEEN children, but it hurts! Ive never seen a mother so lacksidasical about her children in pain.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Absolom - I agree on the "quantity vs. quality" with regard to Michelle popping out a new blessing as often as she possibly can with no regard their either their or her health and well being. To me she's like a Hoarder in that regard - it's ALL about the production and possession of the child, and not about proper care and loving relationships. I can go a step further and make a comparison the the people on the Animal Hoarding show, who claim to love animals more than life itself, but you then see them in absolutely deplorable conditions without proper care, adequate, healthy food, and sometimes not even identified by name. The hoarded dogs and cats are there to fill a hole in the hoarder's heart, not the other way around.

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but I think it's pretty close. Michelle values bringing forth the life, but doesn't honor it properly once it's here (or once they're weaned and passed off to a "buddy". ) Yes, I do think the kids get proper medical and dental care, and no, they're not sleeping in filth (depending on what your definition of filth is !) and they have food, water, sunlight, etc. But Michelle treats them like they're just notches on her maternity belt, and not individual people to be loved and treasured.

I could write a fifty page post about MY kids personalities, their like and dislikes, habits, pet peeves, foibles and accomplishments without stopping to take a breath - I'd bet Michelle couldn't fill up a single page for her children cumulatively that didn't include HER labor and delivery story. Sure, she can name who has what jurisdiction, who plays what instrument, etc, but it's just all FACTS that she spouts, not feelings or emotions. Hell, I showed more emotion when my old workhorse CAR finally gave up the ghost than Michelle did when her son fell through the stage pit or when her daughter was hospitalized for the umpteenth time.

I'll be watching the Today Show very closely on Monday, and keeping it my DVR to compare to whatever footage ends up on next season's episode just to see what they include and what they don't. 19 Kids and Counting has featured the "show within a show" footage many, many times, so I'm curious to see how the editing staff handles any eye-rolls, bored looks, or barely suppressed anger from the original appearance. If it's that Anna is pregnant again, big deal. The howlers don't care, and the 4 eldest J-Girls don't have to take on yet ANOTHER baby. But if it's Michelle I'm going to freeze-frame the whole thing to look for shock, anger, disgust, and then quiet resignation.

And if I see a flip-flop-clad-foot I'm going to scream ! It's freaking COLD here on the East Coast right now ! Good Lord, I'd even be fine with a USED closed-toe oxford or flat. But please, no more defrauding me with your cold Duggar toes !

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

But if it's Michelle I'm going to freeze-frame the whole thing to look for shock, anger, disgust, and then quiet resignation.

I recommend watching the actual show on mute and just watching facial expressions. Without actually hearing the joyful bs spewing from the family, some of them look fucking miserable all the time. Jinger used to be the go-to for glowers and eye-rolls, but now Joy-Anna is the one to watch.

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

NoPity1066 I would love to hear the outcome of this little experiment! I do not have Tivo or anything to do it myself!

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

If Josh and Anna don't announce their not so secret pregnancy on the Today Show on Monday. I don't think they'll ever do it. We don't need the announcement. The cat is out of the bag. As long as J'Chelle isn't pregnant with blessing number 22, I will be happy. 22 pregnancies is wrong on many levels.

Cocotte

Cocotte

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I always figured Michelle's hoarse froggy voice was from screaming at her fifty million kids nonstop when the cameras aren't rolling.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I could write a fifty page post about MY kids personalities, their like and dislikes, habits, pet peeves, foibles and accomplishments without stopping to take a breath - I'd bet Michelle couldn't fill up a single page for her children cumulatively that didn't include HER labor and delivery story.

In the radio interivew a few pages back, Michelle made a comment about how she tries to praise the kids for traits on the character chart. And then she went into "YOU CAN FIND IT AT OUR WEBSITE AT DUGGARFAMILYDOT--", but the host was a smart cookie and interrupted her with a speech about loving the kids no matter what they're like. I'm looking at the chart now; Michelle displays almost none of the traits, such as cautiousness, compassion, self control or discretion. I guess any character traits not on the chart are too hard to remember about the kids. It's easier just to say "Well, look how many of you are displaying humility today. Thumbs up, whichever five you are."

commanderclue

commanderclue

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

My mother had some things in common with J'chelle. Lots of kids she couldn't be bothered with and we raised ourselves. However, she was a sociopath.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

If Josh and Anna don't announce their not so secret pregnancy on the Today Show on Monday. I don't think they'll ever do it. We don't need the announcement. The cat is out of the bag. As long as J'Chelle isn't pregnant with blessing number 22, I will be happy. 22 pregnancies is wrong on many levels.

ITA, but I have a sinking feeling the Today show interview is to announce J'blessing #twenty-whatever-the-hell-it-is. Unless the Today show is hard up for material, I find it hard to believe Anna being knocked up is worthy of an appearance.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

ITA, but I have a sinking feeling the Today show interview is to announce J'blessing #twenty-whatever-the-hell-it-is. Unless the Today show is hard up for material, I find it hard to believe Anna being knocked up is worthy of an appearance.

I have been watching too many old Lifetime movies, because I just thought "...unless she is Michelle's surrogate." I creeped myself out just thinking that. Thank goodness that would never actually happen

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

Wow! I doubt Michelle could handle someone else getting the fame for being her surrogate.

Edited by kelslamu, Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:19 AM.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Wow! I doubt Michelle could handle someone else getting the fame for being her surrogate.

Only if it was super secret and Michelle publicly faked a pregnancy for the attention

Crys5604

Crys5604

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

[/ITA, but I have a sinking feeling the Today show interview is to announce J'blessing #twenty-whatever-the-hell-it-is. Unless the Today show is hard up for material, I find it hard to believe Anna being knocked up is worthy of an appearance. ]

On the same subject, why is "A Day in the Life of the Duggars" worthy of a Today show appearance?

navywife1994

navywife1994

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I think the Duggars being on the Today show is for a ratings boost for themselves and for the Duggars to get back into the spotlight because you know they can't go a few days without being mentioned in the news. I really think it's to announce an Anna pregnancy and the older girls' book. I really hope it's not about Michelle being pregnant. Nothing the Duggars do require an appearance but Today will always put them on and never ask hard questions.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

On the same subject, why is "A Day in the Life of the Duggars" worthy of a Today show appearance?

That's my question also. Isn't there something, anything, out there more newsworthy than a day with the Duggars? I'd rather hear my neighbor tell of taking the cat to the vet. At least that would be new and not something we've heard or seen rehashed dozens of times already.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Theres a lot of hidden resentment and passive agressive acting-out that bubbles to the surface.

I agree. Among their various under-the-surface aggressions I would include the way they wrap up cars, for example, for Smuggar and Anna's wedding, and I think they did something like that even to Jim-Boob and J'chelle when they had their twentieth-anniversary "vow removal". I don't think wrapping up a car and covering it in goop on a couple's wedding day is very charitable or supportive. In fact, it's a way of saying, "You're going to go off and have a great time on your honeymoon; let's try to make it as difficult as possible for you to get away."

XmasRibbonCandy

XmasRibbonCandy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Michelle is such a Fing Liar on their website under he blog she says Healing the Family After a Miscarriage I thought she said she had a born still. So which one is the truth Clown Car?

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Jim-Boob and J'chelle when they had their twentieth-anniversary "vow removal". I

Now that would be an episode worth tuning in for. Jim-Bob and Michelle remove their vows! He immediately shacks up with a 20 year old with a nice bouncy uterus. Michelle cuts her hair and moves to Florida to get away from all of the "blessings". She starts wearing pants again.

esearcher

esearcher

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

She starts wearing pants again.

And mowing the lawn in her bikini, specifically to defraud the neighbors. Horrify is more like it, but Michelle is a narcissist, so...

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

He has multiple businesses, his house is paid for, free and clear, he has NO debt, no educational expenses beyond minimal supplies and fees, and I'm sure when he buys one of his vehicles or pieces of equipment he squeezes the living hell out of the seller, so why the stockpiling ? He has to have one GIANT rainy-day fund going there.

I wonder if he's stockpiling because he's figured out that he may be supporting most of these kids indefinitely. If the girls have to be kept at home to raise the little ones, and the boys are too incompetent or uneducated to be self-supporting, then he's going to have a large household to finance for at least another twenty years.

socalrules

socalrules

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I highly doubt that the Duggars are getting anywhere near $30k for an appearance. Maybe it they are at a huge convservative religious conference but otherwise, I highly doubt it. I remember reading somewhere that an ex-president was making around around $150k and that was appearing at a Fortune 500 company. I don't think that most of the places the Duggars appear could afford $30k. They seem to show up at churches, most of whom I doubt can throw away that amount of money.

I highly doubt the kids know how much the family is making. Realisically, they have no concept of how the outside world works or how much things cost that can't be bought at Aldi or a second-hand store. I would put money on them believing that they are one bus tour away from ending up back in the little three bedroom house or worse, living like the Bates family. Jim Bob probably has them convinced that they have to earn their keep because of taxation and the high cost of taking care of all of them. Basically, they have to work to earn their keep.

Jana814

Jana814

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

The one thing that I really hope the they announce on the Today show is that someone is courting. Maybe one of the girls it will show a different side of it!!