19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62676 replies to this topic

Hannah Leah

Hannah Leah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Poor Joy. Michelle BE A PARENT. I hope she moves in with Amy soon. Poor Poor Girl.

I wish I could play the duggars the song "let them be little"

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I think Gothard central had or has a cosmetology program. The salons and spas I've been to the hair stylists never or almost never do waxing so that shouldn't be an issue for Jessa. Since she hasn't done anything that we know about toward becoming a beautician or hair stylist maybe either that was an idea from her younger days or has fallen into the black hole of keeping all the kids (except Josh) home and ready for the dog and pony show at almost any moment. I wonder if it weren't for the TLC show if some of the kids would at least have gotten to do a few of the Gothard approved residential training programs at least. Although maybe that wouldn't be a good thing. I've read some horror stories.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I was reading No Longer Quivering and I was struck by this:

According to Bill Gothard and Doug Phillips, a girl who has spent her entire life preparing for marriage under unquestioning submission to her father should expect to have almost too many young men seeking to win her hand. Eventually, her father would choose the right one for her. Her future husband would be a paradox: ambitious and hard-working and able to support a family, yet fully under his parentsí authority and living in their house without going to college. He would be an intelligent, independent critical thinker, yet he would agree unquestioningly with every belief of his parents and church.

It made me think about the romantic future of the Duggar boys. Yes they are supposedly "Quiverful Royalty" yet they do seem overly distracted by the outside world-- all that driving around in buses, all that video taping, all those trips overseas mean they aren't trained in the sort of hard working, manual labor type jobs that could support a large Quiverful family nor are they educated. Outside of JD's towing business what other jobs could they possibly do? The world needs plumbers, electricians, and car mechanics but I just don't think these boys can buckle down and learn these trades.

Furthermore I imagine that any home schooled girl could spend five minutes with them and discover that their ignorance is bottomless. And as was mentioned previously even their religious views seem sketchy and shallow. If I was a Quiverful woman I would want a husband that was well-grounded in theology, was hard-working and ambitious, and had at least a basic education.

What would ever happen if say one of the Howlers suddenly has to go out to work? He gets a job where a woman is his supervisor,

That would only happen if he left the Gothard movement-- Gothard preaches that a man must work for himself not others.

RoRo

RoRo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Or would she set up her own fundie salon where the only procedures offered are husband-pleasing makeup application, godly spray tanning, and countenance-enhancing facials?

And don't forget the perms!

debbielove

debbielove

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I'm really starting to wonder what will happen to the boys. None of the younger boys (Josiah on down) seem to be inclined towards manual labor or salesmanship. Josiah and the twins seem artistically inclined and I think at one point Jason said he wanted to be a scientist and Jackson has expressed a desire to be policeman on at least two occasions. None of these kids seem like they would be interested in the few Gothard approved male professions. I could see Josiah becoming a missionary just as a pretext to leave his family. I'm worried about how Josiah seems to be pushed around by the family, first with the "jokes" about his height, then with his flight after the Jubilee announcement, and his mistreatment by his own father in tonight's episode. It seems that both he and Joy are being pushed into roles that don't fit them.

I also think that JB and Michelle are going to have trouble when James and Jackson becomes teenagers. They seem like kids who really need discipline and order, and they don't get either. It wouldn't surprise me if both are functionally illiterate, especially if they were only homeschooling for four hours last year (as reported in the episode where the howlers try to learn Spanish) and not doing any school at all on the campaign trail. They also seem to have the most pronounced inability to stay still or pay attention of the kids. It may be difficult for James and Jackson to get even the most menial of jobs when they are so profoundly lacking in basic literacy and numeracy skills.

Edited by debbielove, Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

alaspata

alaspata

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Well, not surprisingly the boys and JB love to eat and Josh would do the same if he had accompanied them on the camping trip.

Jessa with no makeup and Jinger with straightend hair -- had to look at that for a few extra minutes.

This episode seemed to highlight some of the Joy/Josiah differences, IMHO. While the Duggars seem to be pushing Joy towards a traditionally feminine role with the baking, the show also seemed to depict that Josiah was maybe not entirely into the whole laser tag thing. Geez, JB was like the bully on the playground trying to dominate over the boy who's more vulnerable. I did like that the boys picked out flowers for the girls. I didn't think it was creepy -- people do that for their family members all the time.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Have to say right off the bat - what in the holy hell was J-Boy (Jason ?) doing to those goddamn cookies ? What, are you fucking TWO ?!? I would have slapped his face off his skull if I'd seen that.

That boy was old enough to know what he was doing. What a weird, disconcerting display of aggression toward his sisters, who would certainly have to clean it up. If they can GET to it, that is. Good luck with the ants and mice, Bizarrely Violent Duggar Boy.

(Maybe the one who gets picked on all the time ? That would explain a lot.)

I also think that JB and Michelle are going to have trouble when James and Jackson becomes teenagers. They seem like kids who really need discipline and order, and they don't get either. It wouldn't surprise me if both are functionally illiterate

Agreed, debbielove - it's like they were TAUGHT to have a zero attention span and bad manners. And again tonight with the wolf-like eating. How can a child possibly know how to sit still or behave when they've never been required to do so ?

All howlers = lost in the shuffle.

filmcamerachick

filmcamerachick

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

"Boys love to compete" and "girls love flowers." Such a sophisticated understanding of gender roles.

I know! And was it me, or did the girls not look overly impressed. I know I'd be thinking: "Hey, how about less flowers and more helping out around the house, boys?"

filmcamerachick

filmcamerachick

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

"Boys love to compete" and "girls love flowers." Such a sophisticated understanding of gender roles.

I know! And was it me, or did the girls not look overly impressed. I know I'd be thinking: "Hey, how about less flowers and more helping out around the house, boys?"

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Boob and Mullet are definitely in "Josiah, be a MAN!" and "Joy, be a WOMAN" jender modes with those two of late and neither kid seems to be enjoying the process. Fuck you, Boob, for shoving Josiah out of the way during laser tag and thank you ,Sean, for catching it on camera and Boob's reaction in the TH. I love to see that dickhead caught without the scripted answer for a change.

ETA: "Boys love to compete" and "girls love flowers." Such a sophisticated understanding of gender roles.

Don't forget Mullet chirping that Joy's rationale for baking was that "GIRLS love to cook." So, what if Jed loves to cook and is better than Joy? I seriously doubt he'll get a shot in the kitchen or a chance at a career as a professional chef (Jinger's ambition in the old specials...she now says she doesn't really like - read HATES- to cook).

Interesting that there was no mention of the pregnancy in this episode, but I saw some lights up over the front door in one of the kitchen shots. I think this may have been a "healing" thing after the funeral,maybe the weekend before Christmas, especially since there was snow on the ground and the Santorum Express took off early in January for the Iowa caucus and South Carolina primary.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

Justin shooting his dad in the back twice? Fucking made my night. There's a reason he's my favorite Duggar boy.

The only other moment I enjoyed was Joy telling the cameraman that uh, no, she was not emotionally attached to the cookies Jason was mangling. You could just see her thinking "What a fucking idiot" at whoever asked.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

"I'm flabbergasted by the bouquet. I . . . I like it! It's pretty! Yes, it is, as JB put it, "unique" but that's part of why I like it. (Can't quite make up my mind on whether or not the boys picking out flowers for their sisters is sweet or a little weird.)"

It was nice, but only ONE flower for each? cheap cheap cheap. Why not a bouquet for each? I thought JB said he was going to get extra for DQ and (Joy?) another person-never seen it.

"ROFLMAO!!! This is why I love this thread.
I wish Irish politicians were as weird as this Santorum guy. He's so entertaining!
I really am not convinced that tampons are the gateway drug for dick. But I would happily insert a tampon into Rick Santorum's rectum so he can see if it promotes sexual behaviour in him. "

There's no room with the ginormous stick already there.

"And again tonight with the wolf-like eating. How can a child possibly know how to sit still or behave when they've never been required to do so ?"

Have these super-religious people ever been seen saying grace before eating?

Edited by xls, Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:07 AM.

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

The only other moment I enjoyed was Joy telling the cameraman that uh, no, she was not emotionally attached to the cookies Jason was mangling. You could just see her thinking "What a fucking idiot" at whoever asked.

I love Snarky Joy. Hopefully it will be a while before her spirit is crushed.

Note that Jim Bob didn't appear to be leaving late when it came time to do some "man stuff" and not volunteer work.

So next week is when they finally get to the miscarriage. I can not believe Michelle allowed herself to be filmed while she sat there, ready to tell the kids. Oh wait - I can believe it. A normal woman who enjoys her privacy wouldn't do it, but Michelle is the flag bearer of Filling That Quiver and must be shown Nobly Suffering.

Edited by neptune42, Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Have to say right off the bat - what in the holy hell was J-Boy (Jason ?) doing to those goddamn cookies ? What, are you fucking TWO ?!? I would have slapped his face off his skull if I'd seen that.

That boy was old enough to know what he was doing. What a weird, disconcerting display of aggression toward his sisters, who would certainly have to clean it up. If they can GET to it, that is. Good luck with the ants and mice, Bizarrely Violent Duggar Boy.

OMG, how ridiculous was that? If he was my kid I would have knocked him upside his damn head for making a mess like that. It was so unnecessary. Even worse he was doing it with the trays over the stove so you know all those crumbs got into the burners, which are going to be a pain in the ass to clean out.

I also noticed Joy's spectacular grammer when she proclaimed, "I ain't no baker." Her cookies would have turned out better if she wasn't dumping softball sized lumps of dough onto the trays.

Note to Boob: grow the fuck up. Laser tag is for twelve year olds, it's not that serious.

Nuthatch1

Nuthatch1

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

That episode made me good and mad (and I had promised myself not to follow this train wreck anymore, but I am like a moth to flame when it comes to the idiocy of this family).

I can't believe that the Boob kicked his own son like that (or was it pushed? Whatever it was seemed a bit violent for such a moral, upstanding Christian father). Poor Josiah. I think there is definitely some aggression towards him, based now on two incidents (him rubbing his shoulder after JB probably wrangled him back for the J20 announcement). What a jerk Boob is. How dare he treat his son like that?

And DQ and her waxing on about Joy and the things "girls like to do, like cook". Made me nutty. Those gender roles are so messed up.

And the reason the DQ didn't reprimand whichever Howler was attacking the cookie sheet....SHE doesn't have to clean it up! The J'slaves do! No wonder she doesn't care! I wouldn't have allowed that for ten seconds and shook my head in disbelief as that kept on going.

Wish this trainwreck would get OFF the air, but there will probably be books and speaking engagements from the Parents of the Year (gak) for the next few years no matter what TLC does.

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

It finally dawned on me after the previews for next week, that the whole funeral thing is for the fetus. GGA! This is one crazy bunch of bible-thumpers. Puleez, just go away already!

Edited by goofygirl, Mar 21, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I can't fault the D's for having a service and burial for Jubilee (as opposed to just throwing her in the trash?). But I absolutely can & will dish out criticism for the public nature of the whole situation. From announcing it the day after they found out she'd lost the pregnancy (even before she delivered the fetus), to the big public memorial with pictures of Jubilee displayed, to the whole spectacle being shown on TLC. I'm especially hot abouy the promo they showed last night where the kid are all gathered, excited to learn the baby's sex, knowing that they are about to drop the bomb (on camera!) that they won't be getting j'sibling #20 (21.. whatever). How horrible to have such an emotional moment caught on tape and shown on national TV. NO excuse for that, IMO.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

According to the Fort Rock website the "weekend retreat" was actually held on Tues/Wed Dec. 6-7 and seeing the Duggars are mentioned, that saved Boob a few hundred bucks (extra kids are charged based on age). No wonder when you averaged out the dads and kids, with the 9 Duggar boys included in the 37, it came down to less than an average of 2 kids per father.

IIRC, Michelle's infamous jender confirmation appt. was on that Friday (Dec 9th), the actual miscarriage around midnight Sat/Sun and the funeral we're going to be subject to on the following Wednesday.

Even without TLC, I'm sure the Duggars would have had a family funeral (the Bateses had them for Kelly's miscarriages, both early and the one around the same time as Mullet's), but between TLC's need to sensationalize and Boob's love of $$$, the funeral became the mega-church spectacle. I laughed at the Duggars pleading for privacy during that "difficult time" but speaking to any outlet looking for a quote out of the other side of their mouths.

I also wonder how they'll handle Mullet's re-taping of the speech she gave. She originally said that she had one baby in heaven, or something to that effect, but after an outcry about the miscarriage that they've been talking about for years, she re-recorded the message on the website. I expect a cutaway to the kids when she mentions that she now has TWO babies in heaven. No way they'll allow TLC to air the original version of the speech.

I blame Boob and TLC for this overt exploitation. It's disgusting and I plan to chug a drink every time the word "blessing" is said during the episode. I'll probably have to get my stomach pumped.

Edited by Pauline Fowler, Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:55 PM.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

While I couldn't see myself holding a funeral for a fetus, to each his own. I think the worst part about it is the fact it was made into a public spectacle. Yes, it was a sad loss but not so sad the Duggars couldn't do interviews the same day. Maybe I've become too jaded but I feel like all the sorrow and grieving is more put on for the camera than anything else.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

The Duggars are hypocrites. Plain and simple. They ask for privacy, but allow TLC to tape their daughter's funeral, and use it for the season finale of their show? What next, TLC? Are we going to see Mullet and Boob having sex and conceiving the next blessing? STOP

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

[size="4"]"Justin shooting his dad in the back twice? Fucking made my night. There's a reason he's my favorite Duggar boy.

The only other moment I enjoyed was Joy telling the cameraman that uh, no, she was not emotionally attached to the cookies Jason was mangling. You could just see her thinking "What a fucking idiot" at whoever asked. "

0 [/size]

[size="4"]How come I can't get the quote to work for me?

Yeah, that was great, passive agressive. I think the crew and producers are sick of their BS and trying to make them look bad just by letting them have enough rope, in a subtle way.[/size]

KrisPChikn

KrisPChikn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Justin shooting his dad in the back twice? Fucking made my night. There's a reason he's my favorite Duggar boy.

I loved that moment too, especially after they caught Boob shoving Josiah out of the way. Asshole.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Yes, Michelle's appt was right around Dec 9. She was 19 weeks. Burial or cremation is required of the remains if the pregnancy makes it 20 weeks so I have no issue with a service and burial of a 19 week fetus. I expect our family would do the same. However, we would have a rather quiet graveside service with immediate family and not a mega-church extravaganza with video playback and hundreds of invited "guests." Nor would we videotape it for posterity or the viewing pleasure of a million plus TV audience. Good taste is something the Duggars have apparently never met nor would recognize.

tvmakesmesew

tvmakesmesew

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Haven't been watching this show much, mostly just reading comments on here. I'm glad I caught last night's snarkworthy episode! When Boob was talking about how he 'encourages' his sons to 'treat ladies with respect', I was hoping that somebody would show footage of Joshy boy walking ahead of his wife through the airport doors while she carries the luggage and the baby.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

[size="2"]I think Joy is smarter than her family thinks, like maybe the ruined cookies were no accident, like "if they want me to be another slave I'll FUP everything I cook and they'll be so so sorry they asked me to cook". Thats's what I'd do-good girl![/size]

missbrooklyn

missbrooklyn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

As it happened, Brooklynette #1 chose to share her heart with me right at the time this show came on. Although she hadn't scheduled an appointment to speak to me ahead of time, I graciously chose to listen to her as she spoke. I missed JB pushing Jboy out of the way. Can anyone tell me where it can be found, and at what time?

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Yes, Michelle's appt was right around Dec 9. She was 19 weeks. Burial or cremation is required of the remains if the pregnancy makes it 20 weeks so I have no issue with a service and burial of a 19 week fetus.

Ok, maybe I'm over the top with snarkiness, but I have to wonder why anyone would call a miscarried fetus "Jubilee"? Why not call the poor little thing "Julie", or "Janet"? I have to suspect that Jim-Boob and J'chelle wanted to save the better names for future full-term (or at least alive) babies.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Ok, maybe I'm over the top with snarkiness, but I have to wonder why anyone would call a miscarried fetus "Jubilee"? Why not call the poor little thing "Julie", or "Janet"? I have to suspect that Jim-Boob and J'chelle wanted to save the better names for future full-term (or at least alive) babies.

I felt the same way when Josie got her name when up until that point Jim Bob was so set on the next one being named Julie. He's been trying since Jordyn to use that name so it's weird it hasn't been used yet.

Edited by LunaIndigo, Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Jubilee seems an odd name for a deceased fetus or stillbirth to me also. It's more of a celebration name than something to be used for a pregnancy that ended sadly.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Jubilee seems an odd name for a deceased fetus or stillbirth to me also. It's more of a celebration name than something to be used for a pregnancy that ended sadly.

To me, it hardly even seems like a name at all. It's a word for a special occasion, not for a child.

But I was thinking if J'chelle has another miscarriage, she can name the next fetus "Jamboree," and then she'll have a set. snerk.