19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62485 replies to this topic

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

I rewatched an epsoide from last summer that my Tivo picked up, and saw Michelle giving one of her talks to a luncheon for other moms...and when she said the most important character quality to teach her children was obediance, it gave me the chills. What about independant thought...is there none at all encouraged in these circles? I'll remember this next time one of my teens gives me a hard time and remember at least that he's able to think and make decisions for himself.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

So did Joy before they ripped her away from her best friend, Josiah;

I didn't realize that Joy and Josiah were as close as Johannah and Jackson are. Did they show this in the early specials or did Michelle/JB talk about it recently?

NgP

NgP

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

Anna and Michelle did an interview with the Living the Dream radio show (Link here) this morning. Most of it was that awful baby voice talk but Michelle did mention that Jana, Jill and I think John David are going to Peru for a month long mission trip soon and that the family is planning a trip out of the country later this year. Does every single TLC reality family take a big European/Australian vacation when their ratings start to drop?

HopeWings

HopeWings

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:16 PM

I just hope they don't break Hannie's independent spirit. That little girl has spunk!

THIS. If anyone is on my radar to break free, it's Hannie....w/Jinger a close second, though I'm afraid Jinger wouldn't without Jessa.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

Peru, eh? That's another one of Gothard's pet missionary projects (Indonesia being another). Let's see if the TLC crews will follow them and if they do, edit Gothard onto the cutting floor, as usual.

I guess Duggars go to Europe and play "Ugly American" was inevitable, given their plummeting ratings on their shows this past year, save Anna's birth VSE which garnered about 1.5 million viewers, give or take a couple hundred thousand.

LazyLazy

LazyLazy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Jesus fuck, what is with these people and their formal courtships? They react to a courtship as if it's an engagement! Isn't the point of a courtship to decide whether or not to get engaged? They talk a big game about protecting their hearts, but they create a situation where a courtship MUST go well, or it's as good as breaking off an engagement! Give the kids some damn breathing room!

Jana814

Jana814

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

That is great that they are going to be able to get of the country episcally Jill (considering she is the one that is always with the younger children.) It if true about John-David, what is going to happen with the towing business? An owner of one of those things should not be away for that long of a time

suburbfabulous

suburbfabulous

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

Poor John David getting stuck going on these mission trips it doesn't seem he wants to go on. But of course, he has to go to chaperone and protect his siters.

NgP

NgP

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

JD has to go on the trip to make sure the girls "keep sweet". I have no idea who looks after his business when he's out of town (which is a lot, obviously). Maybe that cousin we saw on the show once?

As unbearable as Michelle is to listen to, Anna was even worse with her constant UM's and awkward pauses. She's also been working on her baby voice. ugh.

HopeWings

HopeWings

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

As unbearable as Michelle is to listen to, Anna was even worse with her constant UM's and awkward pauses. She's also been working on her baby voice. ugh.

Has anyone else noticed the "Ummm" Jill seems to repeat during her THs? Actually, it comes of sounding more like "Om" followed by the beginning stages of baby-speak. So I'm not surprised at all that Anna has picked up on that particular cadence. HATE it!

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Another mission trip eh? I'm starting to think that Jana has officially come to her senses and become hip to the game. The more journeys, retreats and mission trips she goes on the less time she has to spend trapped in the compound taking care of babies. So I say, you go Jana! Hand out soccer balls and Dum Dums lollipops to your heart's content! I'm guessing it won't be long before Princessa Jessa catches the mission bug as well......

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Anna finally cops to attending an "unaccredited, distance-learning" school for her "degree" in Early Childhood Education that was not associated with College Minus. Since that program is fairly new on the radar, I imagine she "went" to Gothard U, which does offer such a "degree."

I read elsewhere that Anna went out shooting for her birthday, 8 days after Michael was born. Sean, did you get that on tape? Did Anna wear a lovely top like RHOC Howife Peggy?

Poor Jameseybug. The lady hosting the show gave a "shout out" to James. Michelle had the opportunity to follow up with a "Happy Birthday, Jamesey! Love you!" or whatever. What did Michelle actually say? Nada. Bitch. That was probably a reminder to the woman that one of her spawn had a birthday today. Hopefully Jill went out and got a sheetcake and pizza.

eskarina

eskarina

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I noticed too...She nor Anna said nothing after the happy birth day shout out.very strange.Maybe their was a communication glitch somewhere?

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

I made it through the podcast, although I must cop to doing research for a project at the same time. At the VERY end, Michelle said they were leaving for the ATL later in the day; I'm not exactly sure what time this show aired, but I'm thinking maybe between 10-11? At any rate, she said they celebrated James' birthday last night by going to some "play" place. I don't know what that entails, but hopefully it was age-appropriate, friends not named Duggar and...."normal families" also using the facilities. Although if TLC taped it, they also bought it.

I was gratified that someone actually got a question through the screeners about how to connect with other like-minded mothers who are NOT ATI (the question actually said that) or home-church. Michelle deflected the ATI mention and gave some milquetoast answer about doing what's best for you. I was shocked the anti-ATI question got through since the two women who hand-picked the questions (they didn't take live calls, which is apparently different than this show normally rolls) are Duggar lackeys. As I understood it, one handles the 19K&C facebook page and the other maintains the website (the company is listed at the bottom of the page). Michelle mentioned the site multiple times as a place to go for her 27 years worth of experience (or somesuch bullshit).

I guess this also confirms that life before marriage and more strongly, life before the "pill miscarriage" does not exist in MichelleWorld. Except, of course, the sins. Speaking of which, I wonder what Jana had to atone for during this last Journey? The Duggars are working VERY hard to keep those older ones in the fold (can't forget, College Minus was pimped) for as long as possible. Jill's probably the only one who doesn't care.

NgP

NgP

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

I was shocked the anti-ATI question got through since the two women who hand-picked the questions (they didn't take live calls, which is apparently different than this show normally rolls) are Duggar lackeys. As I understood it, one handles the 19K&C facebook page and the other maintains the website (the company is listed at the bottom of the page).

The women who chose the questions run the Duggar Family Blog. Nothing more than a fansite. They don't have anything to do with TLC or duggarfamily.com as far as I know. They do worship the ground the Duggars walk on though.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 12:35 AM

My bad. I did qualify my remarks about them; I thought I heard they were from two different arms of Duggar fandom (or the website, since Michelle pimped it out about 20 times).

I really came to post here because we all know Sean reads and Michelle talked about going to Ireland during that interview. How about a TLC cross-over with the Irish Travellers? It would be awesome! They'd need translators to understand each other and captions for the audience. The girls can go to Thelma's and be horrified as the latest Jinger-aged bride try on her immodest, butt ugly 100 lb. Cinderella wedding dress. Aside from the stripper wear vs. modern modest, the families have so much in common: religious, strict gender roles, don't believe in divorce or birth control. and are woefully under-educated.

Boob trying to talk up Paddy the trailer park supervisor would be comedy gold! Come on Sean, make it so!

ladeedum

ladeedum

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 12:49 AM

Hmm. We know Sean reads this but I wonder if any Duggars read this. I mean, I know they have a safety condom over their internet usage but I'm sure if any of them googled themselves, they could be led to this forum. It's relatively safe viewing.

If they do, hi guys! GET OUT!!! WE WILL BUY ALL YOUR TELL-ALL BOOKS IF IT HELPS YOU GET OUT.

@Pauline Fowler: I agree with your cross-over idea. It would be HILARIOUS!

And someone else suggested a cross-over with Extreme Couponing. That would also totally make sense.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 1:27 AM

They talk a big game about protecting their hearts, but they create a situation where a courtship MUST go well, or it's as good as breaking off an engagement! Give the kids some damn breathing room!

This confuses me too. By the time they arrange to court, they seem to have already decided that this person is the one. I'm confused by how it all works, despite the myriad explanations from the Duggars. It doesn't seem that different from dating someone exclusively - and unlike people in the real world, they aren't given the chance to genuinely get to know the person. Maybe they're just banking on the excitement of getting to know someone outside of the siblings being enough to feel like romantic compatibility. And by the time they're married, if it turns out they're not well-suited, tough crap.

I don't remember the entire saga of Josh and the Holt girl except for the sin in the camp part, but weren't they formally courting? And even gasp holding hands at one point? That went to hell and seemed to be the cause of a huge rift between the families, unless they were just making scapegoats of the kids.

suburbfabulous

suburbfabulous

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 7:20 AM

Poor Anna. Even though they're married, Josh will never be able to give his whole heart to her.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

Aside from the stripper wear vs. modern modest, the families have so much in common: religious, strict gender roles, don't believe in divorce or birth control. and are woefully under-educated.

The discussion a few pages ago of the Duggars' lack of education reminded me very much of the Traveller girls dropping out of school because they're just going to be housewives so what do they need education for anyway?

PennyE

PennyE

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

I have no idea if I will be able to stomach the rest of the radio interview but two thoughts so far:
Anna is asked what her hobbies are, and all she can think of is "spending time with my family". Um, that's not a hobby; I'm sure 99% of the world puts their family first. Then she said that while growing up, she loved to play tennis. I can imagine that when she got to be a "woman" at about age 12, that was taken away from her because it is not feminine enough, might show a flash of leg, even if she played in a tree-trunk skirt, and it took her away from serving her daddy and now Joshie. How sad.
And yes, the baby voices and um, um, um is getting super annoying. Michelle was reliving the story of the preacher Stanley who came to dinner. Even now she gushes and giggles like a school girl with a crush. Ick.
I think I will turn it off and do something more exciting, like, UM, watching my toenails grow.

markie

markie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

Anna thinks "cloth diapers are a lot of fun." Not sure how she defines "fun" but I don't think it's the same definition as my own.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

Jill, Jana, and JD will be gone for a month? OMG Michelle is going to need a squad of 20 Gothard girls airlifted in to take care of the kids while the sistermoms are gone. We know Jessa and Jinger are strictly tier two mommies.

I'm picturing Michelle chasing after girls at Journey to The brainwashing, with a butterfly net. "You're gonna raise my blessings! Get on this bus!". Please TLC, make this happen!

ETA: Hallelujah! The overseas trip is the beginning of the end. If there's no new pregnancy by years end, or a massive retool, like "Jinger tells the fam FU and moves out", the show's over.

Edited by p8712, Jul 8, 2011 @ 11:27 AM.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

I suspect Priscilla Keller is already packing her trunk and Grandma Duggar is refilling her Xanax prescription. Or maybe Anna and Josh will move in temporarily so Anna can just toss Mack and Mikey onto the pile and look after her in-laws, while Josh lies around doing whatever it is Josh does.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

Anna thinks "cloth diapers are a lot of fun." Not sure how she defines "fun" but I don't think it's the same definition as my own.

Definitely a WTF statement. Been there, done that, and while it saved me a lot of money, at no point did I ever consider cloth diapers to be "fun".

There's a lot of joking about Jill drinking the Kool-Aid, but I think Anna has her beat. She appears to be bathing in it as well.

"My family is my hobby!" "I unwind by talking to Josh!" Not quite 3 years of marriage, and the poor girl is brain dead. And to think at one point I had hopes of them quietly asserting a bit of independence, maybe not having a kazillion kids, watching tv (I hope that's just hidden, but not gone), etc.

Guess I was wrong. Sigh.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

There's a lot of joking about Jill drinking the Kool-Aid, but I think Anna has her beat. She appears to be bathing in it as well.

I wonder if things might be more dire for J&A then we're led to believe, and Anna's doubling down on the crazy to deal with it. Does she know JB owns the carlot/manipulates Josh? Maybe the business isn't doing so well, or the TLC checks aren't so big. A new baby is nothing but more stress and drama as well. Hell, she just gave birth on the crapper. Not to mention having millions of people pick apart your life. She secretly might be getting a bit fed up after three years of this life. God knows she's probably had enough of Josh's shit. Michelle dug in deeper when things started going wrong; I'm hoping Anna's not doing the same and this is just honest zeal.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

Fake it 'til you make it?

anotherlibran

anotherlibran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

Hobbies? There was a list of qualities that a man must have before the Duggar girls will look at him as potential husband material and 'no hobbies' was one of them. It's a no-no for both, I guess. Must take away time and money from the family and, it might make you an individual!

Cloth diapers are fun??? Hmm, I used cloth on both mine and I never really thought of it like that. I'll have to tell my mother. LOL. I know she'll think I've totally lost the plot. LOL

PennyE

PennyE

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

Totally and utterly ridiculous. I cannot imagine joining a cult where some wacko tells me that I have to wear a skirt, submit to a man, give up my hobbies... and that is just the beginning. So when Jinger says she likes photography, or the Bates girls love to sew, do they have to say that is just part of their submissive-wife-in training, and they can't admit that those are hobbies? Wow. Just wow. How sad that anyone at all joins up with something like this and then passes it on to their kids as the only way to live. The more I learn about this cult, the worse it gets.

kathe593

kathe593

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

I had little sister's. Pre pampers. Diaper pail. Watching my mother scoop poop into a toilet. Picking up pissy diapers with tonges and putting them into the hot, soapy washer. Loading wet diapers into the drier. Folding diapers. And diapers. And diapers. Fun. Not a word anyone in my family ever uttered. Toilet trained! Now there's something which led to rejoicing!