19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62405 replies to this topic

fishandgrits

fishandgrits

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

Wonder of they'll drop in to see Gil Bates and family while they're in Tennesse.

Edited by fishandgrits, Jun 9, 2011 @ 1:43 PM.

PennyE

PennyE

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

Omg, that schedule sounds awful. And Tennessee? PLEASE tell me they are not going to make a side trip to see the Bateses. I can just see the news: "Anna gives birth at the Bates household, surrounded by the 43 other members of the Bates and Duggar clans!" Boob desperately tries to get the TLC cameras there on time to film it all. And the girls make ten large pans of TTC while the smallest children walk across the countertops with their dirty bare feet. Joy takes advantage of the commotion to hop the nearest freight train and escape it all....(I wish!)

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

In regards to Anna and the book tour, I'm inclined to believe she was willing to go along because she's a smart enough girl to know which side her bread is buttered on.

Josh and Anna don't want the TLC gravy train to end anytime soon, otherwise they are back to scraping together a living off of his used carlot. It's in the entire families best interest to keep it going as long as possible.

fishandgrits

fishandgrits

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Jill and Kelly Bates can deliver the kid.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

"Anna gives birth at the Bates household, surrounded by the 43 other members of the Bates and Duggar clans!"

Lying between Michelle's spread legs, no doubt. JB&M plus Josh would be so full of themselves they'd do everything humanly possible to rub it in the Bateses faces. Gill would probably be forced to anoint JB with wesson oil and kneel.

Has there ever been a detour to Tennessee that HASN'T been filmed?

she's a smart enough girl to know which side her bread is buttered on.

Josh and Anna don't want the TLC gravy train to end anytime soon, otherwise they are back to scraping together a living off of his used carlot.

I agree with you there. I wonder if J&A understand how much the show is holding them back from being better, happier people? Even though the money would dry up their lives would improve greatly. They could get out from under JB's thumb, not be forced to compulsively breed, watch tv, get the option of living somewhere else, etc. They could both be totally different and awesome people by age 30 if the show would just end already.

gilora

gilora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

I wonder if J&A understand how much the show is holding them back from being better, happier people? Even though the money would dry up their lives would improve greatly. They could get out from under JB's thumb, not be forced to compulsively breed, watch tv, get the option of living somewhere else, etc. They could both be totally different and awesome people by age 30 if the show would just end already.

I'm not so sure they could get out from under Jim Bob's thumb if the show ended. It's widely believed that Jim Bob owns their house as well as the car lot properties. Aside from being "Duggars", what other skills do they have? If anything, money from the show could help them become financially independent of Jim Bob.

p8712

p8712

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

It's widely believed that Jim Bob owns their house as well as the car lot properties.

Oh, I know JB owns the carlot and Grandma probably owns their house unless it was a 'love offering' . I just think dismantling the Dog-and-pony show would allow J&A to live their own lives with some privacy and eventual independence.

...until 18 years from now when ' Josh's 20 Kids and Kountin' ' premiers.

Edited by p8712, Jun 9, 2011 @ 4:01 PM.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

I wonder if Anna agreed to the traveling while so pregnant and to a home birth or is she just being a submissive wife.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

Watching the snippet that they showed o of Michelle roller skating got me thinking: she's pretty good for a 40-whatever person who I would assume doesn't have time to practice much since she's oh-so-busy raising kids. I took ice skating lessons for several years and if I had to do it today, I sure wouldn't be as good at it as I was back then. So either she's really a natural or she's kept up her skills.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 4:26 PM

They could both be totally different and awesome people by age 30 if the show would just end already.

Anna would probably figure out a few things and make it work but Smuggar seems like this may be his best. He's the HS football star that never achieves anything much after graduation.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

I wonder if Anna agreed to the traveling while so pregnant and to a home birth or is she just being a submissive wife.

That's what I was wondering. She may not have had the choice to decline going on the trip, or Josh was going with or without her, and she didn't want to be left alone. Also, this tour was scheduled months ago. Based on her experiences with her first pregnancy, she may have thought it would have been no problem, but the first time she didn't have a toddler to care for on top of everything else. Also, she looks more uncomfortable this time. I only had 3 pregnancies, but each one was more uncomfortable than the first.

And Michelle never had to do anything when she had the last bunch of blessings- her job was just being pregnant. Evidently Anna still has to cook, clean, and care for her daughter plus occasionally her youngest in-laws. Not the same at all.

Edited by 3 is enough, Jun 9, 2011 @ 5:01 PM.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

He's the HS football star that never achieves anything much after graduation.

I could TOTALLY see Smuggar turning into Al Bundy as he ages. He already has a headstart with the gut and receding hairline. I doubt Anna would have given him a second glance if his family wasn't on teevee (a device the Kellers appear to utilize more than most Gothard families). As others have said, he would have totally flunked out on Boob's impossible (but sadly common in their circles) list of character traits for his future sons-in-law.

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

I read that the ratings were pretty low for this episode, under a million (for probably the first time). I'm a little surprised, the skiing looked interesting and I think it seems that most of the kids really did enjoy this field trip, probably a lot more than some of the other trips they've taken in the past. I'd much rather watch the Duggars than the Gosselins, who don't seem to be going away anytime soon. Jim Bob was more than a little insufferable in this episode, I would rather have watched the older boys and girls enjoying themselves on the slopes. He has been coming across as more and more pompous lately, and it's annoying.

Nuthatch1

Nuthatch1

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

The show is a total snoozefest, which is why fewer people are tuning in. I thought all the ski footage was totally dull. I mostly watch to see what is happening with Josie (and Jordyn and Jennifer, to some extent), since I think those are the lost girls.

Kate Gosselin is much more of a trainwreck, so much more likely to keep viewers, because it isn't quite as boring a show...yet. It's close though. I think both shows are on their way out the door...one can hope...

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

For example, the potential husband has to want to win people to Christ but cannot hang out with those involved in drugs, smoking, drinking, etc. Are those folks somehow unworthy of Christ?

Yes.

Love,
the Duggars and their ilk.

Homeschoolmomma

Homeschoolmomma

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

You know what would spice up the show? Jim Bob running for President and WINNING! all those Duggars in the white house haha

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I've never ruled out Boob taking another run at politics. However, since AR is so dark red these days, he'd have to run as a Tea Party candidate (probably closest to his worldview anyway) to unseat an incumbent in a primary. It would be hilarious to journal a Boob 2012! run at the presidency, just to hear him try and outwit guys like Romney (without bashing Mormons) or Gingrich (brilliant, but despicable for leaving his dying wife for another woman, shades of John Edwards) in a debate. Throw in Sarah Palin with a few history questions and it would be a ratings blockbuster...and a shoe-in Obama victory.

They have to do something, but since they can't marry off the girls (they'd have to live with the husband's family and if it's not close, there goes the Dog and Pony Show), and we've already seen a son get married off and told that sex is like Legos, all that's left is Anna popping out kid after kid, the VFD, the joke that is College Minus- and watching Hannie become a sister-mom in the next couple of years. Jana was doing laundry at 7, so Hannie, enjoy what's left of your childhood while you can!

About the only thing I could root for is Joy making a break for it. Gotta love those moody adolescents! Wonder how much time those appearances earned her in the Prayer Closet (I think the only place a Duggar child is allowed alone, including the bathroom)?

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:53 AM

Does anybody know offhand what is considered good ratings in terms of cable network tv series? I would think around a million viewers would be considered pretty decent.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 1:10 AM

The Duggars had been getting closer to 2 million viewers last season. the Josie special episode was over 3 million. Currently sister wives leads TLC in the high 2 million per week. The highest rated cable reality show has been Pawn stars at 6 million. Other high rated programs are ususally wrestling, spongebob, and disney/nick shows like icarly or good luck charlie, these can get over 5 million.

The Duggars are not making or probably asking for the big bucks that some tlc stars have asked for. It is also not as expensive to film as other shows. JimBob is smart by not getting to greedy. He is probably very happy that tlc pays for the gas in the bus, the lodging and food and he makes a few bucks for a "trip" they would be already taking to some religious function but tlc films the side field trip.

Edited by silverspoons, Jun 10, 2011 @ 1:13 AM.

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 2:38 AM

You know what would spice up the show? Jim Bob running for President and WINNING! all those Duggars in the white house haha

Will. Never. Happen.This would be my absolute worst nightmare. I would have to move to Canada or to Europe, lol.

suburbfabulous

suburbfabulous

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 8:33 AM

I wish they would stop going on these damn trips. Stay at home.

Nuthatch1

Nuthatch1

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

All these reality families end up going on trips...the Duggars, the Gosselins, the Roloffs, even the Little Couple. It seems that their regular lives are just not all that interesting (the trips are boring too, but at least it gives them something to do), which is why none of these families should be on a weekly show. A couple of update shows a year would be more than plenty.

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

Usually the stream of field trips start when the show has jumped the shark and ratings have started falling. Let's face it, real life is pretty much the same for any family. Get up, change diapers, get kids ready for school, cook meals, do homework, put kids to bed etc....

The appeal of the Duggars was that they were a sort of freak show. They had this extraordinary large family that home schooled, was into some wack-job religion, had hairstyles that were outdated twenty years ago and had a completely different mindset than the average American.

However, the fact that they are so uniform and conservative doesn't leave a lot of leeway for interesting drama to keep viewer's tuned in. They don't fight, the kids don't rebel, they don't participate in non-Gothard activites, they have no friends outside of each other, the girls don't date, the girls don't hold jobs, no one goes to real college, no one moves out on their own etc. It's just not enough material to sustain a weekly series on their daily life.

Edited by VegasChica, Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:54 AM.

gardengran

gardengran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

The ratings for Tuesday, June 7, were indeed down:

0.950 (out of a million).

...they have no friends outside of each other, the girls don't date, the girls don't hold jobs, no one goes to real college, no one moves out on their own etc. It's just not enough material to sustain a weekly series on their daily life.

This is well-summarized. After one watches these episodes often enough, they finally become just sad (and a little creepy) and are no longer "entertaining."

Maybe TLC should find a serpent-handling fundamentalist family to follow. It would be the logical next step and would guarantee ratings--who will get bitten this week? Will Papa Lou drink poison? Will Emmy play the guitar while holding a rattler?

Time to move to the next level from the predictable Duggars.

gilora

gilora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 11:13 AM

Really, an hour devoted to a three-day ski trip (and the fascinating pizza making)? Even watching Jim Bob fall so many times didn't enliven things. Maybe some more focus on the wackier side of their religious beliefs would help make the show more interesting.

Mxytdvc

Mxytdvc

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

I know this is from a few days ago, but I have to respond...

I just saw on facebook that one of the Colorado Springs Goodwill stores will be on the episode tonight as the Duggars go there to find ski clothes. The one they are going to is one of the nicer Goodwill's in town but there is no way they outfitted everyone there! Funny how the Duggars still try to fool us!

Ok...I used to live in Colo Spgs (I recently moved). First of all, I have a very hard time believing a Goodwill had that much ski stuff. I've been to almost all the Goodwill stores in the Springs (not to mention other parts of the state), and I don't recall seeing that much in the way of coats or other ski stuff. Yes they've got coats, but usually it's like...Pea Coats. Which you don't want to go skiing in. I'm sure it was a TLC plant. Free publicity for Goodwill. *sigh*

Also, and I know I shouldn't speak for every Coloradan, but many of us who are donating winter clothing donate via Coats for Colorado. Which is why there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of coats in Goodwill/Salvation Army stores (another reason I know this is because my family has received coats from CfC).

Secondly, it really pisses me off. There are Colorado families that need the clothing. Not to go skiing or anything, but because it can get really frickin' cold (we hit -10F this past winter) in Colorado, and families who can't afford to turn the heat on NEED ski pants/jackets to stay warm in while inside.

Edited by Mxytdvc, Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:22 PM.

VegasChica

VegasChica

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

I agree, I said the same thing upthread. I would hate to think of some poor kid freezing at his bus stop because the Duggars bogarded all the winter coats out of the Goodwill to outfit the Howlers.

It actually would have been better PR for the Duggars if they just admitted they received the ski clothing for free and then donated the items to Goodwill once the trip was over. They have no use for ski clothes in Arkansas.

I hate to sound witchy, but for all their talks of having "servants hearts" do any of you agree with me that the Duggars receive a hell of a lot more than they give?

They get paid for the tv series, the field trips are paid for, the meals and lodging are paid for, whatever equipment they need is paid for, their "mission" trips are paid for, college- is paid for, so that leaves them with what? Making money off their book tour and bringing cookies to police departments? Am I missing something here?

Edited by VegasChica, Jun 10, 2011 @ 1:36 PM.

gilora

gilora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

VegasChica -- you're not missing anything. In fact, the Duggars also get a lot of help on many aspects of their daily lives -- first a neighbor did the laundry, now it's Grandma. Church folks helped the family pack and move out of the Little Rock house. A "family friend" watches Josie when Michelle travels and other church friends helped build the Tonitown house. The Bateses came for a visit and cut down the trees affected by an ice storm and the tv crew had to go out and buy diapers. How many people helped Michelle with the little children during the mission trip? 4 or 5? The neediness just never ends.

lickmyremote

lickmyremote

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 5:25 PM

Did they even mention Jesus, God, praying or the Bible on the season premier? It was so dull to me there were parts I wasn't even paying attention to, so I could have missed it. I *hate* they've whitewashed this part of their life. SOTDRT and crazy religion were what attracted me to the Duggars and now it's all hush hush.

My vote for M2 is Matthew Joshua or Matthew James. Or Matthew James Joshua Your Ad Here.

Maybe TLC should find a serpent-handling fundamentalist family to follow. It would be the logical next step and would guarantee ratings--who will get bitten this week? Will Papa Lou drink poison? Will Emmy play the guitar while holding a rattler?

Oh please, baby Jesus, make this happen!

Our favorite family will be on HLN on Joy Behar tonight at 10:00 p.m. JB certainly believes in making hay while the sun shines.

Oh, has anyone else noticed that "Announcement Arms!" thing JB does when he makes an announcement? He kinda looks like the orangutan from "Every Which Way But Loose" when he does it. It's hard to explain but it's like his arms are straight down to his sides until the elbows, then his arms spread out from his body. He really looks like Clyde when he's walking into a room and does "Announcement Arms!". I am so going to hell.

Twinkiemom

Twinkiemom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 6:14 PM

Report on my Duggar Encounter at Columbus Barnes & Noble today.
Got there at 11:15, purchased 2 books (at full price which irks me because I had pre-ordered a couple of months ago at discounted price from Amazon but cancelled because there was no way I would get them by yesterday-oh well). Got numbered tickets and a printed sheet of rules: Duggars will only sign the new book, no posed pictures, when we got to front of line we would be directed to one of four tables where random Duggars were seated and we only would get their autographs. If we wanted Duggars at other tables to sign we would have to get back in line but there might not be enough time (they had to leave at 2:00 to head for Cincinnati).

At 11:30 we lined up according to numbers on our tickets (started at 0, my daughter and I were 57 & 58). A little after noon I believe they came in (I couldn't see from where I was). I then heard them singing but I wasn't close enough to make out the song. The line seemed to be moving very slowly but then I heard that all the books were being signed by ALL Duggars (was glad to hear that). I sent my daughter up to front to take some pictures while I waited in line. As we got closer, I spotted Scott and another cameraman from TLC sitting in the in-store Starbucks. A girl (maybe 10 or 11) in the group just in front of me went over and said hi to them. They then came over and the girl was showing them a book report she had done for school on the Duggars. Scott was filming this and then had the girl and her mother sign waivers.

When we got to the tables, Josh and Anna were the first to sign. I asked Anna how she was holding up with the oppressive heat. She said it wasn't too bad (what a trouper!) Moved down the line. Everyone signed with a different color marker and most put a Bible verse citation also. The kids didn't say too much, just moved the book down the line. Joy didn't look very happy though. Her eyes seemed a little red-perhaps she has allergies and wasn't feeling her best? Johannah had been at tables earlier but when we got up there was MIA. Josie was being held by a non-Duggar. Jennifer's "signature" was a happy face (adorable). Jordyn was nowhere to be seen.

Michelle and Jim-Bob were at the end of the line. I asked Michelle if she would be seeing her family in Cincy and she said "yes" in a very excited voice. I then told her that my 21-year old daughter that was with me was an identical twin and that her sister couldn't be there because she was working. They were really very lovely. They were also disregarding all of the "rules"-signing what ever people had, posing with people for pictures. We stuck around for a little bit watching the proceedings and two profoundly disabled 18 year old twins came in oversized umbrella type strollers. Michelle & J-B chatted with the mother and then came out from behind the table to pose for a picture with the girls. I thought they were very gracious.

Granted, I disagree with a lot of their beliefs (submissive women?-don't think so!) but it really was a pleasant experience.