19 Kids and Counting (And Other Duggar Family Programs)

• Please log in to reply

62595 replies to this topic

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:27 PM

I know the last Duggar thread was closed, so I hope it's okay to start up a new one for the latest episode.

This hour just seemed rushed to me, and unnecessary. The Duggars on a road trip aren't that much different than any other family. Except for the free Disneyland experience.

How many more of these "16 Children and...." shows is TLC going to pay for?

Jinger is still the brightest, most articulate, and unaffected of the bunch. Free Jinger!

Oops! I just realized I got the title wrong. Should be "On the Road with 16 Children," right? Sorry.

Edited by Maybelline, Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:29 PM.

Sarahelca

Sarahelca

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:31 PM

Ugh, agreed. I'm done being impressed with the amount of children that family has decided to have. I did have a guilty laugh when they all got air sickness on the plane. That probably made the show worth it

kidswatcher

kidswatcher

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:32 PM

I missed it because I was watching The Amazing Race. I did get a chance to see the lasr scenes. Did they meet another family with 16 kids?

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:43 PM

They did meet two other families, with 30 children between them. That part of the experience was totally glossed over, but the other family, from the brief glance we got at them, seemed more like California hippies than right-wing Southerners. It would be interesting to follow up with them and see if all families with 15+ kids are as batshit crazy as the Duggars.

I laughed and laughed when the 13 of the Duggars were plane sick! That was priceless.

Edited by Maybelline, Sep 24, 2006 @ 9:46 PM.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 7:43 AM

I couldn't help but think that the writers of the show trolled these boards when we had the old Duggar thread open. They kept referring to things that were discussed here, like the fresh fruit and vegetable issue, the carseats and seatbelt issue. It was as though the script was geared towards addressing all of the criticisms of the Duggars voiced on TWoP. They seem bound and determined to present them as the perfect family.
Guilty pleasure: seeing Jimbob get airsick!

Meg D

Meg D

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 8:03 AM

I caught the show right before I went to bed. So of course, bed just had to wait. I cheered when JimBob got sick. Yes, I'm going to hell on the express train.

My question was on the hotel rooms. Did I get this right?
2 rooms for the boys
1 room for the girls
1 room for the parents?

Must have been a nice change from sleeping on the floor of the camper.

And it looked like the girls were all wearing those long skirts when horseback riding. Or did I hallucinate that?

laddibugg

laddibugg

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 8:26 AM

No, Meg D, the girls were wearing skirts. Then again, women wore skirts when they rode horses back in the Old West-- 100 years ago!

It was kinda funny to see the Drugger kids in their straitlaced clothes next to other kids in 'regular' clothes. I understand the long skirts for the girls, but why do they have to look so...unfashionable. I used to work in a semi-upscale clothing store and the best dressed women were the Orthodox Jewish and Muslim women. They may have had to wear long skirts, but they knew how to wear them--and the Muslim women always had the coolest scarves. It just seems that Christian women who follow the same modest dress idea always look kinda off.

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:14 AM

This topic will stay open only as long as it doesn't become a significant source of "Forum Traffic Court" or "Troll Patrol" reports. Please help each other to stay on the right side of the line.

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

They kept referring to things that were discussed here, like the fresh fruit and vegetable issue,

Yes, they tried to make it seem like the canned fruits and veggies were such a break from the norm. Please, as if we don't all know better. And I thought of this thread when I saw a little Duggar licking his styrofoam plate clean (at their new mansion, with its' industrial dishwashers, not on the road).

I wonder if the California family believes in pimping out its' children for free stuff. I kind of hope they are the anti-Duggars, and practice recycling, gardening, giving back to the community instead of taking, and keeping their family life private. Of course, they did appear on TLC, so maybe not. At least California Mom had normal-looking hair. Michelle's bangs were even weirder than normal last night. I don't think she's aging very well.

AUgirl

AUgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

I don't think she's aging very well.

With sixteen children (for now) and being married to Jimbob what else can you expect. I'd love for someone to give her a make-over and show her how to do something with that bang/mullet combination.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

I laughed my ass off at the emphasis on "fresh fruits and veggies" as well. Like we haven't seen 20 pounds of tater tot casserole prepared at one time. I watched this at midnight and fell asleep right when they hit Disneyland. I'm glad I got to see the barfing Duggars on the plane - wonder who the 5 were that were OK?

You think they'd junk that camper by now - that's twice it's broken down in a year.

One thing I noticed - there was a point where the boys were wearing sneakers and the girls had ankle boots on, which I thought was very Little House-ish. But I did see sandals on the oldest girls at one point.

Grandpa and Grandma look so normal compared to Ma and Pa Duggar in the way they dress - was Grandma wearing pants? And Grandpa was rocking a leather jacket.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 1:03 PM

Jimbob was wearing a leather jacket as well, but I did notice some of the older girls had what looked like sweaters or sweatshirts that didn't seem nearly warm enough at the Grand Canyon. BTW, was I the only one thinking what a useless waste those cowboy hats were? And the voice over made it sound like they were so practical they's replace sunscreen!
Speaking of the voiceover, I couldn't help but think it was the same sappy-voiced guy who narrated all those Disney nature specials, and the movie Me, Myself and Irene.
At any rate, I'm not buying what they're selling.

jennytalia

jennytalia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 1:07 PM

I just knew there'd be a thread started about this show. Heh.

And I came to voice a thought that has disturbed me greatly since it first invaded my mind: Josh is kind of hot.

There. I said it.

I need medication.

Busy Bea

Busy Bea

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 1:43 PM

And I came to voice a thought that has disturbed me greatly since it first invaded my mind: Josh is kind of hot.

There. I said it.

You are not alone...
I want to get a pack of cigarettes a bottle of Stoli and make him sin like he's never sinned before!

Can I get an AMEN!

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 2:18 PM

I'm still floored by the fact that they thought they could pull the trailer with the motor home across the country. I ask myself, "who would think that would be even remotely possible?" The answer: the same people who thought they could build their 7,000 sq. foot home, in a year, with a crew made up of minors.

Also, my daughter noticed something on the show (last night). When they're entering the Western Wear store (to buy hats), TLC puts a little graphic on the screen. It stated the distance travelled and the time it had taken. But, the math didn't work out. I'd love for someone to verify what was actually said on the visual before I go further,...

pinkbubbles2740

pinkbubbles2740

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 2:44 PM

I loved how they made disney land seem educational. I mean come on, jungle cruise equals amazon river? Are you serious?

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 4:41 PM

Michelle Duggar: "Everyone repeat after me! A-MA-ZON! AMAZON!"

Good grief.

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 5:02 PM

Michelle Duggar: "Everyone repeat after me! A-MA-ZON! AMAZON!"

lol...

I think this whole "road trip" was to show all the viewers that they are indeed a normal family. If you watch the first show, and then this one, you'll see how much they've changed what they are covering in the shows. They don't want us to think they're a cult...but they are. They isolate the children...and this little "trip" was meant to show us that those kids get out and mingle like the rest of us.

I think it's time that the Duggar's are dropped. I would be interested to see a story about them in say...10 years or so. I'd love to know if any of those kids managed to break away from Ma & Pa and see what the real world is all about. But I doubt that will happen...they've kept them so isolated. I wouldn't be surprised if Pa doesn't give them land and money to keep the flock close to him and Ma.

And three hotel rooms??? Are they nuts. At the very least, mom should have slept with the girls and dad with the boys (at least the younger kids). I think they thing that annoys me the most is how they hoist the responsibility of raising the children on the children. The kids tote, feed, and watch the other kids. That's wrong. If Ma & Pa can't do it themselves, then they need to quit having babies. It isn't teaching them to be responsible (the children), it's easing the burden of raising the little ones and passing it along to the older children. And it's wrong, wrong, wrong. I guess Ma Duggar must think if she says it in a sweet, high-pitched voice, that it must be okay.

Edited by twinkle44301, Sep 25, 2006 @ 5:03 PM.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 5:09 PM

jhawksgirl you're not crazy - the graphic stated that they had traveled over 400 miles in 4 hours! I kept thinking - "wow - what have they got under the hood of that trailer? It flies!"
twinkle44301I'm totally with you on dropping the Duggars until such time as TLC is prepared to present them objectively (like that will ever happen). My favorite scene was the encounter in the RV park with the family who had 5? 8? children, who stated they had used some of the Duggars' organizational methods, but was unsuccessful at using the buddy system. The mother stated that all her children wanted her to be their buddy. How very normal!

Edited by jerseydevil, Sep 25, 2006 @ 10:01 PM.

moosepants

moosepants

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 5:12 PM

I was giddy when I saw this was airing here. Ah the fun. I noticed the little house boots on the girls as well. What about when Ma Duggar paged one of the girls at home to tell her that she was sending up one of the youngins. It made my heart hurt for these kids.
The best for me was the fact that we were told that the boys do indeed know how to do laundry and since there are so many Duggars they help out all the time. What a crock.

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 6:48 PM

Thanks, jersey...for verifying that we weren't seeing things.

And, as for the Disneyland Jungle Cruise, did you guys note the look on the tour guide's face? PRICELESS!

kidswatcher

kidswatcher

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 6:52 PM

Now you know that if mom and dad had not been able to sleep in the same room. They wouldn't have had the chance to make baby #17.

Peggywatgig

Peggywatgig

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 12:12 PM

How is it that they are allowed to stuff that many people in a hotel room anyway? My experience has been that the reservation clerks don't allow me to say we will be 2 adults and 3 children in one regular room with 2 beds. I have to lie and say 2 adults and 2 children, and then deal with the situation when we arrive.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:24 PM

Damn, I missed another Duggar show? Does anyone know when it will be rebroadcast?

I'm just here to report news that I have heard from a classmate, that the oldest Duggar has moved out! Jinger is still not free, however.

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:49 PM

I'm just here to report news that I have heard from a classmate, that the oldest Duggar has moved out!

Did he marry? Was he forced to enlist in the Army by his political campaign-focused father? Sin the house? 'Cuz it sure as hell isn't college.

Monkey Vision

Monkey Vision

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 3:02 PM

I'm holding out for Duggars Rumspringa!! It could highlight one kid each year as they fly the coop - or leap from the nest.

That would be some good TV.

Jinger, this is a paycheck and this is the mall. Go for it!

jhawksgirl

jhawksgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

I'm just here to report news that I have heard from a classmate, that the oldest Duggar has moved out!

Whoa. Apparently, his total lack of response to the "AM-A-ZON" prompt, on the Jungle Cruise, carried a serious and heavy penalty. ;)

Seriously though, I doubt he got kicked out. More likely, he found himself a fundie, Christian "college" that accepted "graduates" of the ATI homeschool program. I suppose the other, very real, alternative is that there was a Very Duggar Wedding(?).

thegirlfromnyc

thegirlfromnyc

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 4:24 PM

Though I know the other theories you guys just brought up are the more likely options, I can only hope that J-oldest is the gay one (you know at least one or two of them have got to be) and moved in with a BOYFRIEND!

twinkle44301

twinkle44301

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 3:12 PM

My favorite scene was the encounter in the RV park with the family who had 5? 8? children, who stated they had used some of the Duggars' organizational methods, but was unsuccessful at using the buddy system. The mother stated that all her children wanted her to be their buddy. How very normal!

jerseydevil...that was good. Funny how that is...most kids want to be KIDS. I know mine did.

chic_girl85-This was a rebroadcast. I think this show was on last spring, so I'm sure it will be on again. I'll check my TiVo listings and see if I can find it (if it's being replayed in the near futire).

thegirlfromnyc-LOL...That's good.

jhawksgirl-A Very Duggar Wedding...now that's something I'd like to see. I wonder how much wedding planning will be delegated out to the "buddies." Are you by chance a KU fan? My three attended KU.

Monkey Vision-It would be nice to watch them fly the coop, but I also watch Meerkat Manor, and I know how Flower reacted when that happened...and it wasn't pretty. And I see a lot of Flower in Ma Duggar.

EarthMomma-I'd also be real surprised if he's in college.

Peggywatgig-Many times we had to pay "extra" for our third kid (in the hotel room). I would think that that many kids (or people) in a room would exceed the amount allowed by code.

kidswatcher-That's funny. The thought of them having yet another child, is really hard for my brain to grasp.

moosepants-The paging thing was something. I have three kids and I'd lose count how many times I'd go up and down the stairs in our house. I can't even imagine that they think this is normal. If she can't watch them all, or deal with them all herself, they need to quit having babies. I had many friends who grew up in larger families (although none as large as the Duggar's). When most of them married, they either had one or two kids, or none. None of them liked all the extra responsibilities that were hoisted on them when they were children. And none of them had to do near as much as those Duggar kids. It will be interesting to see how many marry, and how many have kids.

Edited by twinkle44301, Sep 27, 2006 @ 3:05 PM.

garli

garli

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 3:27 PM

I missed this but I can't imagne how horrible it would be to be stuck on a plane with 13 pukers! I've been stuck next to one stranger who was puking, or smelled some one else puking on a plane, but times 13? That's when I would join in.