Dr. G: Medical Examiner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

akahlf

akahlf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2009 @ 1:20 PM

Yeah, Alilou, I also get a little sqeamish looking at the blood running down the drain....however, I love the show and will watch it again.

Loved the show on ways not to die.

Cockapoo2

Cockapoo2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2009 @ 3:37 PM

There's a really hot male assistant in the morgue in the last couple shows I've seen. Yummy!

HD Dee Dee

HD Dee Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

Cockapoo2, yes, I noticed the hotness, too. Nice to have something to focus on besides the dead bodies and blood. I do love this show, but I do get a little put off by some of the more graphic elements. I just make sure not to watch it while I'm eating.

Cali805

Cali805

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

The season 1 episode about the skeleton found near a haunted railroad crossing is my fave episode in this series.
http://www.tv.com/dr...uide;ep_title;3

It was extremely sad and horrific that a young girl was murdered and thrown away like trash. On top of that, she was murdered in front of her younger sister, who was forced to help clean her body and dispose of her remains at the tracks.

anstar

anstar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

I caught a rerun last night and became annoyed. They had the man who shot himself in the head and died 18 days later in the hospital of some heart problem. The VO man said that the man was taken from the hospital to the "District 9" morgue (in Florida) and they interviewed the officer involved who was Bexar County (Texas). That's a long way to take a body for autopsy. They used to clarify which cases were in which morgue because she used to be CME for Bexar County. Why they decided to pretend a case from earlier in her career, in Texas, was happening in 'real time' in Florida made no sense to me. It just confused me. Also didn't understand why they blurred part of the hospital name. The paperwork showed Audie <blurred> VA Hospital. Maybe it's because I used to live within a few miles of it, or maybe it's because I've seen old movies, I don't know, but it didn't take much for me to figure out that <blurred> was "Murphy".

I wonder if, one of these days, we'll get a "reenactment" of the Caylee Anthony case???

Edited by anstar, Jan 30, 2009 @ 10:11 AM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

Anstar, that story bugged me a little too, and you've explained why it did. Thanks. I was "watching" it while roaming around doing routine household stuff and not paying the attention you did. I'm a little used to seeing some of her old Texas cases pop up among the more recent Florida ones, and hadn't realized they'd messed with the details on that one.

I wonder if, one of these days, we'll get a "reenactment" of the Caylee Anthony case???

In the interests of justice, I hope and pray it won't appear until all trials and appeals are done, meaning the legal case is well and truly closed. I'm banking on Dr. G's good sense and professionalism prevailing over the desire of the show producers to make hay with a hot topic.

purplemonkey

purplemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 8:13 AM

Caught an episode last night and realized something about the reenactments: the photos they show of the "victims" are actually the actors. Don't know if this should have been obvious, but I spent a good 5 minutes yelling to my husband "no WAY - those actors look exactly like the victims in the pictures!!" Ha! Of course now that I think about it, it should have been obvious.

In other news, I like how they're providing a little insight into the autopsy process, like the guy talking about how he learned to use the cranial saw. The fake blood doesn't scare me. I think this is one of the more fascinating topics a show has covered. Go Dr. G!

Does it bug anyone else that she doesn't pull her hair back while working?

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

No, it hasn't before now. But since I read this? It probably will, LOL. Funny, I've been growing my hair out, after a zillion years of wearing it short, and it's finally gotten long enough to bug me sometimes - when I lean over and it falls into my face. I brought home a handful of different clips and stuff from the store to see what will work to keep hair out of my face when I'm doing housework, exercise, etc.

I guess Dr. G. manages somehow, maybe she's not bothered. Didn't we see old photos of her with long hair pulled back or piled up on her head in a bun or something?

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

I am assuming when she is shown "working" it is actually a reenactment. I would think with all the diseases encountered nowadays, she would be wearing those plastic face covers that are worn by surgeons, dentists and coroners elsewhere.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

I am assuming when she is shown "working" it is actually a reenactment. I would think with all the diseases encountered nowadays, she would be wearing those plastic face covers that are worn by surgeons, dentists and coroners elsewhere.

Good point. I have seen her in the face shield on the show but that was a reenactment of a case that was suspected to be a very infectious/dangerous disease, and IIRC once they ruled that out, she told everyone they could take off their extra-protective equipment. That did make me wonder what she really wears as a rule when doing most autopsies.

And as for me, even if I didn't cover my hair for protective reasons, I'd not want it swinging free when leaning over to get a closer look at many of the things she's leaning down to peer at. Gulp.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

And as for me, even if I didn't cover my hair for protective reasons, I'd not want it swinging free when leaning over to get a closer look at many of the things she's leaning down to peer at.

Exactly. The thought of her hair touching a dead body, touching any fluids, etc. while doing an autopsy doesn't seem very safe nor does it sound like it should be done since hair can fall and why have your hair strands fall into the cavity of the body you just cut open?

Artistictype

Artistictype

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

I've only seen bits and pieces of this show. Like the 'solve the mystery' aspect of it, but she just seems to enjoy her work a bit too much!

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

I absolutely love this show and watch it at least a couple times a week. I love how it's a fresh twist on those CSI type/Mystery shows where the focus is on the Autopsy rather than the crime scene or interviews of family/witnesses to come to the conclusion about what happened to the deceased. Plus, Dr. G is really likable and enjoyable to watch.

Does anyone know the fat of this show once the DHC ends in 2010 and Oprah Domination takes affect? Will it be moved to TLC or is it going to be cancelled and this is the last season?

Caught an episode last night and realized something about the reenactments: the photos they show of the "victims" are actually the actors. Don't know if this should have been obvious, but I spent a good 5 minutes yelling to my husband "no WAY - those actors look exactly like the victims in the pictures!!" Ha! Of course now that I think about it, it should have been obvious.

This is EXACTLY what was going through my head during the first episode I watched. I remember thinking that the actors were a dead ringer for the real people in the photographs until it came to me admittedly after the show had ended that all the current shots in the morgue and the video and the pictures were all fake and drummed up for dramatizations.

Edited by Secret Symphony, Jul 5, 2009 @ 10:30 PM.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

That makes sense that the pictures are the actors. It's a little morose to show the people who have passed on, or at least I would think so. This is an edutainment reality show, not a news broadcast and could you imagine trying to ask the family members if they'd allow pics of their recently departed loved ones to be shown on national television? Talk about low class.

Wait...DHC is going away? That is one of my favorite channels! I don't have cable but whenever I'm at a family member's house or am babysitting/housesitting, I always tune into DHC to watch shows like Dr. G or Mystery Diagnosis or Life in the ER or I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Well, pooh. I looked it up and found a couple of Wikipedia articles and some links. It's true. DHC is being axed due to "low viewership" and replaced by OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network, in October 2010. Articles at http://en.wikipedia....Winfrey_Network and http://en.wikipedia...._Health_Channel.

I'm not happy. I like Oprah, but don't expect to be a big fan of her own personal cable channel. And I've really enjoyed so many of the DHC shows. I hope that kind of programming finds a home somewhere in cable land.

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 1:42 PM

I love the DHC and I too am pissed that it's going away but I am more pissed that Dr. G is not moving to TLC. I noticed that the 'I didn't know I was pregnant' show which I don't care for is now airing on TLC too and so does Mystery Diagnosis and a few other DHC shows. I was hoping that Dr. G would make the move too but I guess not. Boo.

I don't even watch the Oprah talk show. I doubt I am going to watch her sure to be inspiring *gag* channel.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2009 @ 7:03 PM

That's sucks that DHC is being cancelled. I watch a lot of their shows too. Dr.G can be a good show but they need to put out some new shows. When are they going to have some new shows??

I totally agree on what a stupid idea the Oprah channel. There has already been too much of Oprah and HER RATINGS ARE DOWN so we don't need an entire channel dedicated to her.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

How come you guys haven't updated the Dr.G thread in SO long?? She's had some new episodes and she's a pretty interesting lady.

Always reminding us that we could die any second! Her show is more interesting than most.

Dr. Garavalagia.....HA HA!!

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:46 AM

Dr.G had her "How Not To Die" special on a couple days ago. Her show can be pretty interesting since it's all taken from true stories so you can see exactly what all the circumstances were.

WHY aren't you guys giving Dr.Garavalgagia some love?? I'm the ONLY one posting in this section lately!

Gladiola

Gladiola

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:51 AM

I found this show On Demand. I love it, but the case about the healthy, muscular marketing rep who fell ill at a convention has freaked me out. He had back pain and a spider bite, but it turns out he died of MRSA. Holy shit, that's scary!
I got a splinter yesterday raking leaves, and after watching that particular episode, I dug the splinter out quick and put triple antibiotic cream on the wound area.

Another episode had a with morphine in his system. Dr. G. realized the guy overdosed on heroin, which turns into morphine in the body.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

The episode that freaked me out aired again last night on DHC: a woman died of systemic HSV-1 (the herpes virus that causes cold sores, and with which a full 90% of adults have been infected), despite the fact she was not immunosuppressed.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 27, 2009 @ 1:36 AM

Where is the love for Dr. G here?? We should have more posts for this show! It's very interesting.

WHEN are some new shows going to come out??

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

• Interests:My family, reading...oh, and of course television.

Posted Dec 27, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

I caught an episode the other night that involved the death of a beautiful little 4 month old baby boy. He died in his crib and his young parents rushed him to the fire station down the block from his house.

Dr. G examined a bumped on the back of his head and was concerned about his distended belly. I drifted off to sleep just before finding out the cause of death. Did anyone else see this? Please tell me the parents were not abusing the baby....

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 2:38 PM

http://forums.televi...n...&p=12479623

I don't think the parents were involved but I think it was SIDS. I know one case was like that so this was probably the case but I can't be 100% sure.

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

• Interests:My family, reading...oh, and of course television.

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

Thanks Megafauna. That's a heartbreaker.

I love Dr. G! She's kind of a dork, but I think you'd have to be to be in that line of work.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 8:30 PM

LOL! HA HA! She is kind of strange BUT she is very likable. She has a squeaky voice that goes off tone sometimes but she seems like a really nice lady and someone you'd want to be friends with but NEVER end up in her place of business!

Does anyone know what station her show will go to once that bozo Oprah takes over DHC?? That's horrible since we've already seen enought of Oprah and DHC has some great shows!

la llorona

la llorona

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2010 @ 2:39 PM

The episode that freaked me out aired again last night on DHC: a woman died of systemic HSV-1 (the herpes virus that causes cold sores, and with which a full 90% of adults have been infected), despite the fact she was not immunosuppressed.

And didn't she get it from kissing some random guy? It almost made me never want to make out again.

I think this has been discussed, but I recently caught the episode where the suicidal guy tries to shoot himself in the head, fails, gets up and looks in the bathroom mirror, then finishes the job. OMG OMG OMG. I *really* wish I could forget that.

Around my house, we like to pronounce her name "Doctor Guh" (hard consonant). As in, "Yay!! Doctor Guh marathon!"

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

And didn't she get it from kissing some random guy? It almost made me never want to make out again.

I don't recall whether they traced the virus to him; he had bitten her during their makeout session (at a bar, I believe), so there was initially a question as to whether that somehow played a role in her death. Whether he transmitted the virus to her or she was infected another way, it's mind boggling that it took over her body and killed her. In an immunosuppressed person, it's easy to understand how a virus that normally causes no real harm could become dangerous, but her immune system was functioning normally. Every time I get a cold sore, I think of that episode.

I think this has been discussed, but I recently caught the episode where the suicidal guy tries to shoot himself in the head, fails, gets up and looks in the bathroom mirror, then finishes the job. OMG OMG OMG. I *really* wish I could forget that.

Yes, that one is particularly memorable. I doubt it's too often a body riddled with more than one bullet ends up being a suicide!

Crunch Hardtack

Crunch Hardtack

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 4:54 PM

I see that Dr. G was moved to the Science Channel.

StormDragon

StormDragon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 5:10 PM

Those are just repeats. The new shows are on the DHC.

Is that plan still on to have Oprah destroy the Discovery Health Channel??

What a joke. There is already too much Oprah as it is.