Latitude and Longitude: Ratings and Scheduling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

37 replies to this topic

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

• Interests:Took my money,<br />I couldn't buy nothin'<br />I'm sick of this brave new world<br />And my whole life was like a picture of a sunny day

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

I'm not great at interpreting ratings numbers, but this doesn't look great.

From Futon Critic: fast nationals

...the premiere of "Six Degrees" (households: 8.7/14, #7; adults 18-49: 5.8, #5). Retention by "Six" however was a low 55.41% in households and 53.21% in adults 18-49.

From Mediaweek:

-Sampled but Considerable Tune-Out:
Shark (CBS), Six Degrees (ABC)

Percent Audience Retention
-Six Degrees Out of Grey’s Anatomy – Overnights: 54, Viewers: 53 million; A18-49: 53

Both dramas also lost steam at 10:30 p.m., but the erosion for Six Degrees was worse. Take a look:
Six Degrees: 10.4/16 to 8.1/13 (-22), Viewers: 15.32 to 11.36 (-26), A18-49: 6.6/17 to 4.9/13 (-26)

Take a look at the three dramas at 10 p.m.

ER (NBC)
Overnights: 11.0/17 (#2), Viewers: 15.58 million (#1), A18-49: 6.8/18 (#1)

Shark (CBS)
Overnights: 11.1/17 (#1), Viewers: 14.95 million (#2), A18-49: 4.2/11 (#3)

Six Degrees (ABC)
Overnights: 9.3/15 (#3), Viewers: 13.34 million (#3), A18-49: 5.8/15 (#2)

Chipper730

Chipper730

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 3:48 PM

The loss of viewers, not only from Grey's, but also through the half hours, doesn't bode well. What will matter is where the numbers go after this week. ER did surprisingly well and neither of the premieres of new series performed close to expectations (though, honestly, for ABC, ANYTHING is better than last year).

Who knows what'll happen next week when Ugly Betty joins the fray as well.

vanityflair

vanityflair

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 6:08 PM

I don't think it's horrible, but it's not great, either. I'll definitely watch again next week (even though I wasn't even planning to watch this week) and this strikes me as the kind of show that will pick up an audience rather than lose it. Not that I know anything about these things. But anyway, it did just about as well as that hugely hyped lawyer show that ran opposite it, so that's not totally terrible.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 10:51 PM

I thought they were going to be streaming these episodes starting today.

Is that not happening?

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

• Interests:Took my money,<br />I couldn't buy nothin'<br />I'm sick of this brave new world<br />And my whole life was like a picture of a sunny day

Posted Sep 23, 2006 @ 12:16 AM

Ravenwing263, I could've sworn that was what they said after the episode aired too, but when I tried to find it earlier today all they had were brief clips on the ABC website.

I just checked again, though, and if you go to this link they now have full episodes available. Click on "Launch Now" and use the arrows to scroll to the show you want.

Edited by sweetjane, Sep 23, 2006 @ 12:27 AM.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2006 @ 1:20 PM

Thanks muchly, sweetjane.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 1:12 AM

No prob.

Here are a few more articles about the ratings - they pretty much all say more of the same thing. Viewer retention is a problem. Next week's ratings should be more telling - it will also depend on how all the other shows do.

TV.com

Media Life

Broadcasting & Cable

Six Degrees did a good number, but benefited from the whopping Grey's lead-in. Its first half-hour average was a 6.6/17, but that fell to a 4.9/13 in the second half-hour, while ER's premiere built from a 6.6/17 to a 6.9/19 over the same time. Shark dropped from a 4.5/11 in its first half-hour to a 4/11 in its second.

ETA: According to TV Week, at least Six Degrees was up 132 percent from last year's season debut of newsmagazine "Primetime."

ETAA: LA Times quotes ABC Executive Vice President Jeff Bader:

"It's way too soon to read anything into their numbers," Bader said about "Six Degrees."

Edited by sweetjane, Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:57 AM.

sallyreardon

sallyreardon

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:28 PM

Based on those numbers... across the line... I'd say that all three dramas in that hour were head on head with each other. The numbers are close to even for that hour for all three dramas. And, it looks like "Six Degrees" gets a higher ad value in comparison to "Sharp". A big plus because their demo. A little higher in viewer numbers "Six Degrees" may kick "ER"s ass, even if "ER" beats "Six Degrees" in viewer numbers.

Edited by sallyreardon, Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:29 PM.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 2:14 PM

The difference between Shark and Six Degrees is that Shark had the higher retention ratings. Both shows lost viewers from their respective lead-ins but Six Degrees lost more people.

Six Degrees did have higher ratings but that's more attributable to the fact that it had a higher rated lead-in.

Since so many people are clamoring for Traveler I wouldn't be suprised if they replace it with that.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 4:25 PM

Since so many people are clamoring for Traveler I wouldn't be suprised if they replace it with that.

I believe ABC is set on Traveler following Lost. ABC will give Six Degrees a chance to find itself. The show does start getting better around the 5th episode but that might be too long for viewers to wait.

Chipper730

Chipper730

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 9:52 PM

ABC will leave Six Degrees with Grey's if it even remotely holds or improves on the numbers it got last week.
Traveler will not go after LOST so long as the Nine does well.

sallyreardon

sallyreardon

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 4:25 AM

PoiPounder and Chipper... thanx! There's a *phew* attached to that thanks.

fiveeightone

fiveeightone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

I hope it doesn't get cut mid-season. I'm really seeing potential in this show and I think and I hope it will gain some steam as the series progresses. I'm totally getting a Reunion redux on this show but it's J.J. Abrams so ABC might give this a chance.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

I think ABC would like to stay in business with J.J. Abrams even though he didn't re-sign with Touchstone so they'd be willing to give Six Degrees alot of time ala Invasions. They like the direction it's going and it is why Peter Horton is staying on with the show longer.

The Evil One

The Evil One

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

From Zap2It

"Grey's Anatomy" scored a 14.9/22 for ABC at 9 p.m., although CBS' "CSI," 14.1/21, had a narrow lead among total viewers (23.49 million to 23.31 million). NBC stayed in third with "Deal or No Deal." The final performances on FOX's "Celebrity Duets," 2.8/4, topped the season premiere of "Supernatural," 2.2/3, on The CW.

At 10 p.m., CBS' "Shark" and NBC's "ER" tied for the lead at 9.5/16, with CBS once again slightly ahead in viewers. ABC's "Six Degrees" came in at 7.3/11.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:37 AM

From Mediaweek

-Six Degrees (ABC)
Overnights: 8.7/13 to 6.4/11 (-26)
Total Viewers: 12.61 to 9.00 million (-3.61 million)
Adults 18-49: 5.1/13 to 3.6/10 (-29)

I hate getting attached to shows that will probably get canceled.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

Just to clarify, the numbers PoiPounder quoted from Mediaweek represent the show's viewer erosion at the half-hour point.

Thursday 10 p.m.
-Six Degrees (ABC)
Overnights: 7.5/12 (#3), Viewers: 10.81 million (#3), A18-49: 4.4/12 (#2)

Now take a look at the audience at 10:30 p.m.
-Six Degrees (ABC)
Overnights: 8.7/13 to 6.4/11 (-26)
Total Viewers: 12.61 to 9.00 million (-3.61 million)
Adults 18-49: 5.1/13 to 3.6/10 (-29)

And here is the retention percentage for ... Six Degrees out of Grey’s Anatomy. Although Shark could be better, Six Degrees is considerable worse.

Six Degrees out of Grey’s Anatomy:
Overnights: 54 percent, Viewers: 46, A18-49: 47

I would say Six Degrees is a loser, wouldn’t you? (www.pifeedback.com).

ETA: Futon Critic gives comparison to last week.

a new "Six Degrees" (households: 7.3/12, #7; adults 18-49: 4.4, #6). Compared with its bow last week (households: 8.7/14; adults 18-49: 5.8 on 9/21/06), "Degrees" was down 16.09% in households and 24.14% in adults 18-49. Also of concern: between half-hours, "Degrees" fell 29.41% in adults 18-49 (5.1 vs. 3.6).

Edited by sweetjane, Sep 29, 2006 @ 1:48 PM.

Chipper730

Chipper730

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

Those are some huge audience drops. 10.5 million at the moment Grey's ends, followed by 3.6 right after? ABC must not be happy, even if they are behind the show creatively. It only needs a few million more to keep those ratings up and beat CBS totally on the night, but wow, those are some differences.

Not good.

The Evil One

The Evil One

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 2:29 PM

Going from a first place finish in the 9pm hour to a third place finish in the 10pm hour has got to smart for ABC. The rumors that it'll pick up in the 5th week may be true, but they need to have people watching the show when the "magic" finally kicks in. If ABC have something better in the hopper, Six Degrees will get pulled rather soon I'd guess. With a post-GA timeslot, I don't even think they'd re-shuffle it to another night - if you can't build an audience will a timeslot after one of the, if not THE, most popular show on TV right now, you're screwed.

Edited by The Evil One, Sep 29, 2006 @ 2:29 PM.

jlwestbrook

jlwestbrook

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 2:47 PM

It's do or die in this timeslot for Six Degrees. The only thing that might save it is that I don't think ABC has anything more compatible to air there right now. There could be a Men in Trees move from Friday, but I don't see that happenning. I really think What About Brian could succeed there...these shows appeal to the same demographic, but everyone seems to hate that show, so it would likely not do much better. I expect to see one of ABC's rejected pilots to be greenlit for midseason any day now. The highly touted Angie Harmon/Denise Richards drama Secrets of a Small Town maybe? Traveler is the only midseason drama ABC has, and I think its too male-driven to follow GA successfully.

Chipper730

Chipper730

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 9:34 PM

I've been hearing those rumblings about SoaST, but I have no idea what's happening with that. I think more scripts were ordered. If it is picked up, it would probably be a March premiere. Traveler is so thematically different to pull numbers after GA. I really don't know what they would use.

Ethan815

Ethan815

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 6:43 AM

I think Secrets Of A Small Town could do a hell of a lot better than this show in this time slot. I'm very suprised it wasn't picked up by ABC.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:41 PM

I'm glad this show isn't doing good. Maybe next time ABC won't think they can just slap JJ Abrams name on a show and expect people to watch.

sallyreardon

sallyreardon

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 2:49 PM

Maybe next time ABC won't think they can just slap JJ Abrams name on a show and expect people to watch.

I believe they did that because JJ Abrams has gained quite a reputation for himself... outside of television. I don't think the ABC Execs (who have a survival rate of @3 years from watching their fired statistics) realize the magnitute of force his work is... in just writing alone. Some of the hugest name directors seek him out to fix their scripts so they are guaranteed quality work. I think the ABC Execs are foolish in their choice to not support him and instead support shows that they are almost guaranteed a pay cut in. I believe that's why he went independant. I believe the ABC Execs are looking at their own pockets instead of what the American audience really wants to watch. And, I believe they're being slightly vindictive because he's not doing what they want. I want to watch something outside of Reality TV that's just way beyond it's fad. I want to watch something that typifies what I used to think ABC Television was... good wholesome family dramas. I'm looking out for 'What About Brian' next. I'm hoping ABC Execs don't touch and fued with him and just ruin it this year... again. Gawd, that turned into a fiasco. I like 'Six Degrees' this year. I'm really quite taken with it. I'm hoping the ABC Execs stop touching that one. I see HUGE potential. There's always a rough start. But, I could see it gain a real following. I bet it attracts the really wholesome good ones. You know, those numbers look pretty close to what 'Alias' had. I bet it stays. Gawd, I hope it stays. I'm really tired of being traumatized with television. I want more Mae and little Zoe scenes.

Edited by sallyreardon, Oct 1, 2006 @ 3:01 PM.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2006 @ 6:59 PM

JJ Abrams is a talented man, but the shows that succeed under JJ are the ones that he actually spends time taking care of (season 1-2 Alias, Lost) and not the ones that just get his name on them (What About Brian), so ABC should be weary of what they're expecting from Six Degrees.

I am surprised that the ratings are so low. Grey's is a powerhouse these days, and having the post-GA slot is a blessing...or a curse disguised as a blessing, if the retaining of the GA ratings becomes a big issue.

malcanta

malcanta

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 1:54 PM

is this show being cancelled? or just cancelled by TwoP recappers?

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 2:02 PM

The show is not being cancelled...yet. PH'ed means permanent hiatus on TWoP only. It means no more recapping and this separate forum will be closed (this is mostly due to very low forum traffic). There will be one thread only in the Dramas section.

Only 157 people graded last week's show, which signals low interest on TWoP.

Edited by sweetjane, Oct 5, 2006 @ 2:07 PM.

sallyreardon

sallyreardon

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

The show is not being cancelled...yet. PH'ed means permanent hiatus on TWoP only. It means no more recapping and this separate forum will be closed (this is mostly due to very low forum traffic). There will be one thread only in the Dramas section.

Only 157 people graded last week's show, which signals low interest on TWoP.

sweetjane, thanks for the info. I guess this show's demo doesn't hang out at message boards... hehe! But, I'll go visit on that thread when the time comes.

JJ Abrams is a talented man, but the shows that succeed under JJ are the ones that he actually spends time taking care of (season 1-2 Alias, Lost) and not the ones that just get his name on them (What About Brian), so ABC should be weary of what they're expecting from Six Degrees.

He is... isn't he? But, I wouldn't discount his involvement completely. He touches everything his name is on, and then... some. You have to swallow a little bit of pride to be a writer on his shows. He touches... everything.

ABC really hasn't given those shows you mentioned much support... imho. I was at the register the other day and saw an explosion of "Can't Be Me Love" Dempsey on the covers of like everything. And, he still reminds me of the geek from Arizona. I didn't see anything even close to Six Degrees or What About Brian. I caught like a tiny bit of "Grey's" last week and found it to be no "E.R." It kinda lacks. I'm assuming it's another fad show. I laughed when I caught another tail end of it and it had a hospital prom. LOL! I'm still staying devoted to Six Degrees and will give What About Brian a shot this new season. My tape of Lost is waiting for me. Didn't want to watch with little ones around... if you know what I mean. Now, that show had an interesting start, then, it did a switch somewhere in episode five... I think. I don't know. It gives me nightmares, so, I can't really completely watch it or pay close attention. I'm more of Felicity kind of girl. So, I'm moving over the Dramas section to hang with everyone and hope I'll attach to Six Degrees like I did with Felicity. I get the feeling I might stick around like I have been with What About Brian only because I can sense bonding with others who are waiting for it to be another Felicity... for goodness knows what reasons. I bet that demo isn't very internetie either.

Again, thanks for the info, sweetjane... for the move and the NOT news of cancellation. A HUGE phew!

Edited by sallyreardon, Oct 6, 2006 @ 1:02 PM.

cdmc

cdmc

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 12:36 PM

Wow, the bleeding continues...

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2006 @ 12:40 PM

Since I think we're supposed to still post here until the move, last night's ratings from Mediaweek:

-Yesterday’s Losers (excluding repeats):
Six Degrees (ABC)

...But despite the enormity of its lead-in, recently introduced ABC drama Six Degrees sunk to a mere, and record low, 6.9/11 in the overnights (#3), 9.65 million viewers (#3) and a 3.9/10 among adults 18-49 (#2) at 10 p.m.. A few things to keep in mind about Six Degrees are:

1) Retention out of Grey’s Anatomy of just 44 percent in the overnights, 43 percent in total viewers and 42 percent among adults 18-49.

2) A loss of audience in the second half-hour of 23 percent in the overnights (7.8/12 to 6.0/10), 2.45 million viewers (10.88 to 8.43) and 23 percent among adults 18-49 (4.4/11 to 3.4/ 9).

3) Erosion in just two weeks of 26 percent in the overnights, 2.91 million viewers and 28 percent among adults 18-49.

Three-week track for Six Degrees:
9/21/06 – Overnights: 9.3/15; Viewers: 12.56 million; A18-49: 5.4/14
9/28/06 – Overnights: 7.5/12; Viewers: 10.15 million; A18-49: 4.1/11
10/05/06 – Overnights: 6.9/11; Viewers: 9.65 million; A18-49: 3.9/10

Yes, you can consider Six Degrees one of the biggest bombs of the new season.

Too bad...I thought they were improving with last night's show.

Edited by sweetjane, Oct 6, 2006 @ 12:41 PM.