S25: Jonathan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1775 replies to this topic

wandersfar

wandersfar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Well, I for one loved Penner's FTC speech, especially the part about Denise yoking Skupin and Lisa and riding them to the end like oxen. That metaphor was funny, colorful, memorable, and accurate. That was the most popular prediction before the finale, that Skupin and Lisa would be selecting the winner with their choice of F3, neither of them stood a chance against Malcolm or Denise, so I thought Jonathan summed it up very well.

As for outing Lisa, that was totally a fair play and very necessary. There is no way Lisa would've received the Rupert prize, gotten the obscene amount of screentime she did, ever attracted the attention of Skupin (whose first alliance was with RC, not her he was obviously star-struck, and that certainly motivated him to want to ally with her), hire a military special trainer to prepare for the show, and even get cast as a woman over forty had she not been Blair Warner. She's been benefiting from her former stardom for the entire game and continued to benefit in the finale to the tune of $100,000 (there is no way she would've won that popularity contest had she not been a celebrity.) Jonathan leveled the playing field and made her pay for the fame that made her Survivor story possible. Players have been doing that with stunt-cast castaways for years, and it was absolutely a fair and warranted move. After all, Jonathan and Skupin had to play with a huge target on their backs the entire game for being veterans, while Jeff Kent and Lisa got to skate on by (all four would likely never had been cast had they not been famous, either in sports, television, or from being on the show previously.) It's only fair Lisa had to pay the piper at the end with the jury.

He nailed Skupin pretty good (loved the line about him never getting votes, and had it not been for Carter's sentimentality, Penner would've been right) and as for Denise, his comment about her bitch side coming out raised my eyebrows, too, but I genuinely believe he meant it as a compliment. It was his shorthand for saying she wasn't just coasting along playing nice, she was playing the game, too. His comments while writing down her name cemented that for me.

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

God save me from ever receiving such compliments from grand-standing, egomaniacal men. (If I do, I hope they have a better delivery, at the very least. "Sitcom" Whelchel is a whole hell of a lot better actor and speaker, immho.)

BigRedCheese

BigRedCheese

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

She's been benefiting from her former stardom for the entire game and continued to benefit in the finale to the tune of $100,000 (there is no way she would've won that popularity contest had she not been a celebrity.

Jeff Kent was a bigger celebrity than her, and had stardom a lot more recently than she did. I think it's just as likely that Skupin alligned with her because of their age and similar religious views, the celebrity could have easily made her a target, as it did Jerry Jones, but he found things in common with her. Even at the height of her career, she was never that a big star, she was in an ensemble cast on a kid's show, if there was a main character, it was Jo, played by Nancy Mckeon. Her twitter followers may have helped her win fan favorite, but if they're her fans, and they vote for her, seems pretty fair to me.

As for Penner's outing of her being fair, I think I've stated pretty clearly that it was fair. This is a game where you can do almost anything to somebody, up to and including stealing their personal items and destroying them, so sure it's fair within the game. For myself, I found it distasteful since he was out of the game, I thought he would be better than that. But that is my personal issue, I agree, he acted fairly within the game, I was just a little disappointed in him in that moment, I'm sure he's losing a lot of sleep over it.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I didn't think Jonathan "outing" Lisa was any worse then her keeping her secret in the first place. I've never been a huge Penner fan so maybe my expectations of him have never been a high as others.

And yeah, Lisa may be a better speaker, but that's because it's the job she's had for the last 20 years. She writes books and gives speeches and as a result has a big fan base in the, I'm not sure what to call it but I'll settle on the evangelical Christian circuit.

For me, Penner is just a guy who has pluses and minuses and flaws that keep him from ever being a final contender in the Survivor game. I think he'd be a fun guy to hang out with and dinner at his house would be a good time. As far as I'm concerned that's a pretty good thing to say about someone. I don't think he's a poseur.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

could have easily made her a target, as it did Jerry Jones

Jimmy Johnson? I had to Wikipedia Tocantins to make sure Jerry wasn't some sort of celebrity that I had no idea about!

I personally think it's interesting when the jury members take an active role in guiding the other jurors toward making a decision, i.e. Erik in Samoa giving the jury the OK to vote with their heart. That's how a jury works: it's a conversation to come to a conclusion.

Edited by Oholibamah, Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

BigRedCheese

BigRedCheese

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 4:08 PM

Jimmy Johnson?

Doh, yeah, that was the name. Sorry, not a sports fan myself, I should have looked it up.