The Real World

• Please log in to reply

24574 replies to this topic

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

To those who are new to the Boston season, I think you'll like it. There are a lot of normal moments in it, like the girls going to the laundromat together while chatting about stuff, or near the end of the season when they go to Martha's Vineyard and the group splits, with Genesis, Jason, and Kameelah hitchhiking and going back to their hotel room and, um, well, checking out each other's goods. The latter seems crazy but I don't remember there being any overt sexual tones in their actions. They were all just friends.

michaeldh8

michaeldh8

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

I don't know if this has already been posted but several seasons are up on Amazon Instant Video free for Prime members.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Let's see what we got: London (considered to be so boring, BMP added work crap, thus digging a deeper hole for the franchise), Las Vegas ("You down with STDs?!?" "Yeah, you know me!!!"), Austin (possibly the worst season ever), Key West (no hurricane can wash away Johnny, Paula or Tyler), and every season through Vegas II. Not exactly an incentive in my eyes.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I will always hold a place in my RW-loving heart for London simply because I knew the dude from Portland (his gf at the time was a good friend of mine).

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Looking back at Las Vegas, I can understand why people called it the trashiest season back THEN, but when you watch it nowadays, the cast were all pretty intelligent (uh not Trishelle, but she was a sweetheart), and they seemed to have great chemistry and lots of great talks. It was a very interesting season; not one dull episode.

The best season after that in that list is Sydney. One of the best seasons out of the new alcohol fueled crap.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

IA about Las Vegas! I watched it for the first time last year, having read the boards for years (RW: Sydney was the first one I ever saw, being a Sydney-sider myself) and being familiar with its reputation as 'the beginning of the end'. I ended up really loving it and consider it one of my favourite RW seasons. There was a lot of partying/boozing/sleeping around, but amidst all of that you had a group of people who seemed pretty self-aware and ready to learn about themselves and grow. Maybe I exclude Trishelle and Steven in that, hahaha. I was moved by Arissa's journey in particular, I shed a few tears when she was in Australia and spoke about what the experience meant to her. IDK, to me it had the perfect mix of craziness and realness. Plus, it brought us the fork fight which was RW editing at its most glorious.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

I was wondering what happened to Arissa, and found this MTV Remote Control post from a month ago. I may not have been much of a fan of the Vegas season, but I liked her.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Boston episodes 5, 6, & 7 are up.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

According to vevmo, Season 27 will be taking place in St. Thomas, in the Virgin Islands. Interesting that they chose a new location after three straight seasons of returning to past locations.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Boston episodes 5, 6, & 7 are up.

I checked recently and now it's up to 10.

I may rewatch it. Boston was a season that I was pleasantly surprised by.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Just bumping this up to see if there have been any RW27 sightings in St. Thomas. Also wondering if BMP and/or MTV is planning an event for the franchise's twentieth anniversary. A massive reunion would be the best bet, thought the sheer amount of psychosis and ego would make things problematic.

ETA: In extremely predictable news, a third Hangover movie is in the works. Just posting this because Jamie could return.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

It looks like that stopbeingpolite Real World channel got pulled too. I have a feeling this guy will wait a few months and return with a third channel. At least I got to see everything that was up there before it got pulled.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Quick question: is it a spoiler if I post about a cast member currently doing RW27? I found it on Wikipedia . . . normally, I wouldn't that big of a flying fig, but it turns out that
Spoiler

As for the ghost of roomies past . . . Melissa posts about children present and possible future. The original plan was to post this from her, but that post I just link got put up -- no bullshit -- twenty minutes ago. I just think my timing was funny.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Melissa posts about children present and possible future.

Oh, Melissa, I miss when you were funny and not a mombie. People change.

The show first debuted 20 years ago this month, but I know there won't be anything done in celebration of that.

Katgrrl

Katgrrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

Oh my lord, MOMBIE!!!!! Thank you just checking, you made my life with that. I used to just call them breeders (I'm infertile) but will use that term exclusively.

mayaroo

mayaroo

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

Puck is having more troubles with the law, it seems:

Real World star and resident MTV bad boy David "Puck" Rainey was arrested last month on two felony charges and is still behind bars, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned. Puck was picked up on March 2 at 5:40 p.m. by the Northridge Police Department in California and booked at the Van Nuys jail at 8:10 p.m. where he was held on $225,000 bail. The 43-year-old was charged with Battery on a Person and Stalking/Violation of a Restraining Order involving his wife, Betty.

According to a Pitchess Detention Center spokesperson, Puck remains jailed and has a court appearance on Wednesday.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to call Melissa a "breeder," but she seems to have become one of those women who is all about being "mom" and nothing else.

As for Puck, some people just don't change and old habits die hard. He's a mess.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I disagree about Melissa being all about her daughter. This is her first (and perhaps only) child, and everything feels like a new experience for her. When I read her blog, I find her to be funny and insightful, and that's all I've wanted from her. Besides, if you look up "Mombie" in the dictionary, you'll probably see a picture of Rachel Campos-Duffy. Does she and Sean hold the post-RW record with five kids? I know that five kids from them isn't as frightening as Beth having one kid, but I think five at the pace of one at a time is a bit overkill.

Puck in trouble? Oh, wow, shocker.

mayaroo

mayaroo

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

Lantern7, Sean and Rachel have six kids. I am pretty sure that is the standing record for RW alumni. And according to his Wikipedia entry, Sean is the tenth of eleven children.

Yeah, I can't be too hard on Melissa for posting a lot about her kid. I have seen it happen with all of my women friends who have had babies and at least her stories are mostly entertaining. I would rather read her blog entries than many of the more popular mommybloggers out there.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Sean and Rachel have six kids. I am pretty sure that is the standing record for RW alumni.

I remember Rachel talking about wanting to work on the Hill. I may not agree with her politics, but that was an interesting goal. But it looks like she's content playing housewife.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

20 years ago today. I can't believe I've spent 20 years of my life watching this show and its spinoffs. I have no words.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

From that article:

I remember getting choked up watching the season finale of Boston, and didn’t quite understand that until I realized I’d gotten to know these people and spent considerable time with them each week.

When I think back on how much I used to enjoy this series, I remember how I used to get a little choked up each season watching everyone say their goodbyes; I could feel how much some of them were going to miss each other and the experience they'd all shared, and I was going to miss checking in with them each week.

Melissa's sense of humor delights me so, but I just can't read story after story about her kid; I miss when she hilariously articulated her thoughts on a variety of subjects (from the trivial to the consequential).

Wow - six kids for the Campos-Duffy family? That's insane. I didn't care for either one of them during their respective seasons, but neither was particularly offensive that I recall (except Rachel's reaction to learning Pedro's HIV status). I remember Rachel showing Cory her résumé and it being a nice moment; Cory was so adrift, having no clue what she wanted to do even for the moment and not having a decent abstract to present at interviews, and Rachel seemed genuine in her desire to help Cory at least pull together a smart résumé.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

Melissa's latest blog (May 2) isn't all about being a mom. I thought it was very interesting actually and I wondered who she was talking about speaking to after 9 years. My guess was Jamie.

ETA: Melissa posted videos of her daughter visiting the Sesame Street set and meeting Elmo. It is so adorable!

Edited by Mita_Jo, May 23, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I'm guessing MTV isn't doing anything about RW's anniversary. Probably for the best . . . last time there was a shindig, the emcee (Jeffery Ross) got turned into a bitch, fan voting was a joke (Johnny as Hottest Male? Colie as "Biggest Playa"? Coral as "Roommate From Hell"?!?), and fucking RW: Austin was declared the best season ever. My entire ass.

Thinking about it . . . who are the biggest successes from the BMPverse? I think this would be the tope five:

1. Sean (RW: Boston): Dude is a Congressman. With this lot, that's about as high as they can get, even if the Wisconsinites vote him out in November.

2. Mike (RW: Back To New York): I can talk shit about the WWE, but he's out there every week.

3. Dave (RR: South Pacific): Stars on Grimm, which got picked up for a second season by NBC.

4. Jamie (RW: San Diego): I think she got her role as Ed Helms' fiancee last year because she was used to dealing with hung-over people.

5. Judd (RW: San Francisco): Currently writing two Bat-Books (Batwing and Catwoman) for DC Comics.

Did I forget anybody?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Jacinda (RW:London) is on a show called Zero Hour that got picked up by ABC where she plays Anthony Edwards wife. From the preview, I don't know if she is just in the pilot, a series regular, or recurring. But she has also worked pretty steadily.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

According to a poster over at vevmo, Zach and Ashley have broken up. And now Zach and Frank are friendly with one another. Is this a sign of the apocalypse?!?!

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Zach and Ashley have broken up

Refresh my memory, who is Zach and Ashley? ETA: Never mind. Zach and Ashely from the last San Diego season, correct? I totally blocked that season from my mind. that being said, HA HA! I knew they wouldn't last very long. Hopefully she's gone back to having a mind of her own.

Edited by Mita_Jo, May 25, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I doubt it. She's probably morphed into whatever guy she's picked up with.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Refresh my memory, who is Zach and Ashley?

Ha! I had to stop and wonder too. I seem to have blocked out the whole season, because I really didn't like Frank, Zach, Nate, Ashley, Alexandra and the rest were fine I guess. Ashley didn't seem so bad on her own, maybe she'll go back to being somewhat normal until she meets a new man. The only other seasons where I disliked a cast so much was Cancun (with the exception of Derrick) and Austin (I still don't know what monkeys they used to pick the Austin cast. Literally not one likeable person).

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Did I forget anybody?

Aren't SF's Pam and Boston's Kameelah both doctors?

There are probably a number of successful people from the early seasons we don't hear about, because they stopped living their lives in the public eye a long time ago. I have no idea what Dom and Aaron from LA are doing, for example, but I imagine if I did I'd define them as successful. The others from that season, not so much.