Glark

Glark

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 1:09 PM

A place to continue discussion!

thejt

thejt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

An end of an era. Wow. Maybe B/M will get the hint and stop this trainwreck with season 20 (20? Ridiculous.). The relevance of the show left a long time ago. To Laguna Beach with you, B/M and MTV!

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

Wow. I honestly never thought I'd see the day when the show would be PH'ed. It seemed like a staple, like Survivor or 24.

Well, at least it should be interesting, having everything in one thread.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 2:04 PM

My heart dropped when I saw The Real World here. I can't believe there won't be anymore recaps. Is there no way to make this thread like the Real World/Road Rules Challenge thread, where we can still have individual topics, or does the thread have to meet certain requirements for that? Just curious.

cooter

cooter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 2:20 PM

Holy cow!

I blame Wes for this.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:06 PM

I blame Tyler. And Tyler. Oh, and Tyler.

*sniff* No more Ghost Bunim summaries? I'm...I'm sorry, I just have *sniff* something in my eye...

Okay...so...last great RW season? I say NOLA for the oddly compelling cast of characters.

ETA: Not to dispute you, EarthMomma, but the Miami kids had to go on a "business venture" or some shit like that. I'd put 'em in the top third of RW seasons, based on Cynhia and Sarah alone. Mmmmmm....Wildstorm bricabrac everywhere....

Edited by Lantern7, Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:17 PM.

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:09 PM

The last great season was Miami because the housemates had to hold their own jobs outside of the b.s. B/M assignment.

Cessilina

Cessilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

No more? Awwwww.

Lantern7, I blame Tyler too. It's all his fault! This past season sucked like no other sucky season has sucked and he was at the helm of the U.S.S. Suckage. He's now in my top 5 most hated reality TV contestants. There's now 2 out of 5 from the RW. I'm sure that will grow as time goes on.

I'm bummed. Maybe, hopefully there will be a section like RW/RR challenge because with 20 seasons and counting, there's just too much yummy goodness to pack into one thread.

Lambot Leg

Lambot Leg

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:23 PM

I blame Wes for this.

So do I. Wes is the reason that I didn't watch Key West, and Fresh Meat was the first challenge I didn't watch.

michaeldh8

michaeldh8

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

I'm confused. What happened? Why this thread?

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:46 PM

San Diego is the last great season for me. There were some bad ones before it and some bad ones after it, but it was truly the most fun season (for me) after New Orleans.

michaeldh8, most shows get PH'd because there isn't a lot of interest on the board for them. I believe the show threads have to be 20 pages long each week (to keep the seperate threads and to be recapped) and this last season barely broke 10 pages most times. I'm actually suprised it wasn't PH'd a couple of seasons ago. Still doesn't make me any less sad.

Edited by Mita_Jo, Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:48 PM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:47 PM

I second that michaelhd8. I'm in shock. Shock I tell you.

Anyway, now that I think about it, it's about time. Everyone should be moving on from this show. Like thejt said, relevance is over.

ambystone

ambystone

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Damn, first Whitney and Bobby split and now this. Whatever happened to staying together for the children? It really is the end of an era.

skittishkitten

skittishkitten

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 7:26 PM

Damn, here I was thinkin' someone started a new RW thread on accident...until I glanced over a bit and saw Glark's name. I'm not surprised (and like you, Mita Jo, I thought it was gonna happen a bit sooner than this), but it would be interesting to have 3456 different RW topic discussions in one thread. Assuming this next season isn't completely unwatchable.

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

This saddens me, too. I admit, Real World hasn't been don't miss TV for me since San Diego, and I'm actually surprised the PH didn't come sooner. Still, the end of an era (sigh).

MultiColoredGal

MultiColoredGal

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 5:44 AM

What does PH'd mean?

Porky

Porky

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 7:14 AM

PH'd means they're not doing recaps anymore :(
(To be more technical PH stands for Permanent Hiatus.)

Everyone should be moving on from this show. Like thejt said, relevance is over.

The relevance may be over, but unfortunately my obsession is not...

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 8:59 AM

The relevance may be over, but unfortunately my obsession is not...

Mine either. I will watch the show until they no longer make them. Even if I hate every single person on the cast (like with the Las Vegas cast) I'll watch every episode because I won't want to miss anything.

aleeshie

aleeshie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 9:09 AM

Wow. The end of an era.

I can't say I'm that surprised, though. There seemed to be a pretty big drop-off in the forums from Austin to Key West. Entertainment Weekly used to do a TV Watch recap for The Real World, but they've stopped, too.

MaxPower

MaxPower

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

Shocked, but not surprised, to see RW get PH'd.
San Diego was the last season that I was really into, though Philly had its moments. Austin was the last straw for me.

ishcabibble

ishcabibble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:47 AM

Wow, I haven't posted over in the RW board for a few seasons, but was shocked, shocked that it was PH'd! Like someone said upthread, it seemed like a staple.

For me, the Chicago season was the last relevant one. It was the last one to not focus almost exclusively on drinking and sex, and with the Kyle/Kerri, Aneesa/Tonya, Cara/everyone interpersonal drama, it was still about them interacting with each other. Although Philadelphia really wasn't bad also.

I still miss the good old LA, SF, and London days, though! **sniff, sniff**

Newhope

Newhope

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:54 AM

As Flavor Flav says.., Woooooow! Operation PH'd is in full effect!

Last one I watched on regular basis was Chicago.

duck soup

duck soup

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

I actually discovered TWoP because of the Real World! It was in the dark days of grad school when I lived alone and couldn't afford cable (shudder). I think it was the Chicago season and those recaps were all I had for almost an entire year.

Seriously, I am on board with the not being able to move on due to my raging obsession. I know the show lost all of its edge a long time ago but it is reassuring to know that every week seven strangers will solve all of their beefs with one another in a half hour.

Now that I think about it, without the recaps I might be able to resist watching this crap.

Porky

Porky

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

I still miss the good old LA, SF, and London days, though! **sniff, sniff**

I cannot believe you just listed London as a "good" season! It was practically as bad as Paris.

If you asked me to explain the London season to somebody who hadn't watched it, my recollections would be something like "this fake punk guy got his tongue bit off and basically nothing else notable happened." Because really: RW London = total snoozefest.

19bored

19bored

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 11:00 AM

My heart dropped when I saw The Real World here. I can't believe there won't be anymore recaps. Is there no way to make this thread like the Real World/Road Rules Challenge thread, where we can still have individual topics, or does the thread have to meet certain requirements for that? Just curious.

Word, this sucks. Heh.

Stupid fucking Wes and Tyler. Dammit!

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:33 PM

Is it wrong that I'm actually glad that all the discussion will be contained in one thread now? I've never been a fan of recaps and rarely read them, so the PH doesn't really affect me. I often find it more enjoyable to have one thread where all discussion of the show takes place. I think it's easier to make friends, and to discuss things. I definitely understand how some might be upset though.

Edited by Stinger97, Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:34 PM.

Kim

Kim

Network Executive

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:31 PM

Aw. The end of an era. For your TWoP historians, I think it was the 3rd show added to the site, and the only one that's still airing new episodes.

I'm proud to report that the last episode of the show that I watched was the last one I recapped, and I never looked back. But I do still watch the Challenge.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:43 PM

I hope something like that is done, it's a nice and neat way of keeping things organized.

I'm still shocked, I thought this show would be recapped forever...

Here's the description from the PH site:

There was a time when people could not stop talking about The Real World. These days, however, the reaction is usually closer to "That's still on?!" Sure, Bunim/Murray created a pop-culture phenomenon when they stuck seven strangers together in a house, and made way for the reality-television craze we're still being skated and duetted to death with. But things change, and with the death of Mary-Ellis Bunim, the franchise began focusing more on casting shallow drunkards to interact with products such as Ford cars or Pepsi than real representative young people with opinions, true individuality, or something to say. In the age of MySpace and bling, cute and bratty seemed like the way to go, rather than interesting and multi-faceted; TWoP readers disagreed, however, as the oldest dog on the site (perhaps?) is put out to pasture. Run free, old trope. Run free!

Edited by MegaJ, Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:45 PM.

thejt

thejt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 12:46 PM

Aw. The end of an era. For your TWoP historians, I think it was the 3rd show added to the site, and the only one that's still airing new episodes.

It's for that reason I assumed it (TRW) would always be a part of MBTV/TwoP (aww MBTV....). But, like The Woman and The Woman once sang, "Enough is enough (is enough)!" New Orleans was the last whole season I watched - and that was only because I lived around the corner from the Belfort.

michaeldh8

michaeldh8

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2006 @ 3:41 PM

Thanks Mita JO and Porky for your explanations, Ph'd is a new concept to me. MegaJ can you give a link to the "PH site" I tried googling with no luck.