Uncle Jack Was My Favorite Character: Unpopular Opinions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

108 replies to this topic

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

Was Ready, Aim, Marry Me your all time favorite episode? Do you dislike the widely beloved George Michael? Are you actually glad that AD was canceled? If so, this is the thread for you! You guys are all familiar with Unpopular Opinions threads by now. They're interesting and funny and manage to stay open as long as no one takes anything too personally :) I often feel like sort of an oddball among AD fans, so I'll start with a few unpopular opinions:

Season Three was by far my favorite season. I thought it contained the most laughs *and* the greatest amount of heart. Plus, since there were only 13 episodes, I didn't grow as weary of the recurring jokes/themes etc. as I did during other seasons. IMO, there's a fine line between impressive continuity and simply repeating the same gags over and over, and IMO AD often crossed that during its first two seasons. I do love S1 and S2, just not to the degree I love and marvel at S3.

I'm among the only AD fans in the universe to HATE the chicken dance, Kitty's "this is the last time you'll see THESE" schtick and the seemingly endless Maeby-as-studio-exec scenes. I just found them all kind of dumb and gratingly repetitive. Admittedly, though, I'm not a fan of broad, 'wacky' humor.

I *far* preferred Rita to the much-loved Marta, who I found dull. I also thought the Rita story arc was both funny and oddly touching, and am always surprised at how many fans dislike it.

Ridiculousness

Ridiculousness

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

I don't care for GOB.

Edited by Ridiculousness, Sep 10, 2006 @ 10:38 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 10:57 PM

Uncle Jack was my favorite....nope, can't do it.

I liked the Rita arc as well. I was late to the party and ended up watching The Ocean Walker prior to any of the other Rita episodes, and I laughed my ass off the entire time. I enjoyed the other 4 episodes of the arc as well (although The British Bombshell wasn't as funny as the rest of them for me, but it was a great set-up for the rest of the arc).

Tobias (not David Cross- I like David Cross) irritates me in some episodes (don't hurt me).

I didn't like the episode Exit Strategy- I didn't like it the first time, and now, 5 or 6 viewings later, I still don't like it. I thought the political jokes were kind of cheesy, the nurse who fell in love with Buster was irritating (I wanted to smack her), and Buster's Arab language fake-outs (when he swallowed a fly, etc.) were silly. I don't understand my irritation, but there it is.

I liked the Maggie Lizer episodes a lot the first time I saw them- they don't have as much re-watch value as the other episodes, but I thought they were pretty funny.

Edited by hayds, Sep 10, 2006 @ 10:58 PM.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:02 PM

I don't care for GOB.

Hee---I have to ask, do you really not care for GOB, or are you just channeling Lucille?!

Tobias (not David Cross- I like David Cross) irritates me in some episodes (don't hurt me).

He's by far my least favorite character, though I can never quite articulate why, so any help would be appreciated! He just seems so one-note and affected and over-the-top. His much loved 'fire sale' audition really grates me. It would have been funny if it were toned down a couple of notches, but that's the thing: IMO, all things Tobias need to be toned down a couple of notches.

My second least favorite character? Maeby. *ducks* I can't help it. Maybe I just don't think she's good enough for my beloved George Michael ;) Maybe I would have liked her if she'd been featured in more varied storylines, but IMO the jaded studio exec thing got really, really tired and didn't show us the more vulnerable and endearing sides of the character. Maybe I should stop using the word maybe just because I happen to be talking about...Maeby.

Edited by marlaas, Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:00 PM.

lozzy

lozzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:04 PM

I don't care for GOB.

*gasp* Now that's what I call an unpopular opinion.

I'm not that into Tobias. He's funny and all but I can't say I'd be too concerned if they had cut him out of the show.

I'm not really a huge fan of Exit Strategy either, and I really hate that nurse.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:12 PM

I didn't care for GOB when I started watching the show, but some where along the way he became one of my favorites.

My favorite is by far Michael - I'm not sure if that is an unpopular opinion or not.

I loved Tobias in the first season - one of my favs, but hated him by the time season three came along.

I hate Oscar. I find Steve Holt to be exceedingly unattractive.

Umm.. I had a lot of negative build up in me.

lozzy

lozzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

Oh I just thought of another one. Michael's not that hot to me. Jason Bateman can be sometimes, but I really don't find the character of Michael very attractive.

WakeMeUpLater

WakeMeUpLater

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:17 PM

While I like GOB, he's definitely not one of my favorite characters.

Anifan19

Anifan19

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:35 PM

I didn't like the episode Exit Strategy

Though it has less laughs than most other episodes, I think Exit Strategy is okay because it does wrap up the George legal problems storyline well (with him actually working for the CIA, through a British firm) after some twists (the WMD thing). And it is hysterical that an identical copy of the Bluths' house is inhabited by a bunch of Saddam Hussein lookalikes. And, "Wow, you two really are related" is fantastic. But I agree with you all in that I hate that darned Buster/nurse storyline so much... it's such a weak gag and really poorly-written. And the "Fighting for your country" thing is definitely one of their most self-indulgent and pointless callbacks.

This might be an unpopular opinion: I don't like S.O.B.s very much at all. Winking "housing order cut back to 18" references and setting a scene at Burger King while not drawing attention to it were totally fine with me, but S.O.B.s is blatant and in your face with the meta- stuff and it really took me out of the world of the Bluths. Also, explicit references to George Sr. poisoning people didn't sit well with me-- Michael just shrugs that off? Didn't like the quintuplets either, they sucked attention away from the pretty good main plot about GM and Michael (though I love their last conversation in the episode where GM finally sticks up to his dad).

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:40 PM

My favorite is by far Michael - I'm not sure if that is an unpopular opinion or not.

My favorite is definitely George Michael, who IMO gives the show so much of its heart, but Michael would be second with GOB very close behind. Just out of curiosity and NOT intending to put anyone on the spot, but why don't people like GOB? Then again, why DO I like him, given that he's really a jerk?!

I agree that they went a bit overboard with the hit-you-over-the-head meta in S.O.B.s and, yeah, that thing about George poisoning people with muffins was...odd, to say the least.

And, speaking of episode UOs, I'm meh on pretty much every episode that features Marta (did I mention how freakin' dull I find her and how I felt that storyline was both unfunny and irritating?!) and also really, strongly dislike the much-loved Sword of Destiny. I normally like Ben Stiller and adore GOB's magic shows, but for some reason this episode just felt really forced and unfunny to me.

Edited by marlaas, Sep 10, 2006 @ 11:42 PM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 12:02 AM

I never thought Sword of Destiny was that well loved. I didn't like Ben Stiller's appearance in it either. But then again, I've never been a huge fan of Ben Stiller.

I do like some Marta episodes, but she doesn't tug at my heart like Rita.

This is probably unpopular, but I kinda liked Maggie Lizer and her various plots. It was wrong and over the top, but I liked it nonetheless.

Edited by seffina, Sep 11, 2006 @ 12:07 AM.

Zoidberg

Zoidberg

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 2:48 AM

I laughed- and laughed hard- at Tobias's cruel treatment in season three.

Uncle Jack was pretty funny (and I'm no Martin Short fan, either).

Season 3 was pretty darn good upon repeat viewing.

Jeffrey Tambor, for the most part, was wasted in all three seasons of this show.

DHarveyOswald

DHarveyOswald

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 8:47 AM

The chicken dance was mildly amusing in Staff Infection, but hasn't been even remotely funny since.

Shock and Aww, Burning Love, and Prison Break-In are all above average episodes.

Season Two is my least favorite season.

Jeffrey Tambor, for the most part, was wasted in all three seasons of this show.

I ought to shave your head and make you sit under this camera all night, mister.

Edited by DHarveyOswald, Sep 11, 2006 @ 8:48 AM.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

DHarveyOswald, are you me?! Add something about not liking Tobias, thinking Maeby kind of sucked post-S1 and favoring S3 above even S1, and you've perfectly captured all of my UOs!

It's such a relief to know I'm not the only fan who found the chicken dance completely unfunny. It ties with Kitty's endlessly repetitive "this is the last time you'll see THESE" as popular jokes that I wish had been retired after one use.

DHarveyOswald

DHarveyOswald

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 10:34 AM

Glad to find a little common ground, even if it means that my opinions are only half as unpopular as I thought they were. I wasn't as bothered by Kitty's constant flashing as I was by some other overused standbys ("her?"), but in general there was just way too much repetition in Season 2. In fact, I think the whole thing has left me unfairly biased against Season 2 -- thinking back on individual episodes, there's a lot there to like, but I feel less likely to watch those DVDs because generally when I think of Season 2, I think of recurring gags being run into the ground, exhumed, and run into the ground again.

lulu519

lulu519

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:38 PM

I haven't been on these boards in a really long time, so I figured what better place to start reposting again then on an AD board. I just wanted to add my two cents. My biggest unpopular opinion is that I really can't stand Maeby. At all. I don't think she's even remotely funny. The only aspect of her character that I enjoy is her relationship with George Michael, because it's so wrong and so funny, and it includes George Michael, whom I adore. But when it comes to Maeby's individual storylines, I find myself struggling to stay interested. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing or the character itself, but I just find her to be bratty, selfish, self-righteous, and annoying. The thing with the Bluth family is that each one of them has a few very unlikeable traits (even Michael), but somehow, they're lovable. But for some reason, that doesn't happen for me with Maeby's character.

Although I love the "dangerous cousins" storyline, my other unpopular opinion is that I don't think it's the best recurring storyline of the series. Don't get me wrong, I find it incredibly funny and awkward and so wrong that it's good, but for me, it's the not the be-all and end-all of the show. Give me Gob's undying, insatiable need for both Michael & George Sr.'s approval, or Buster's struggle with accepting the fact that he lost his hand, or Michael's love/hate relationship with George Sr. over the "dangerous cousins' storyline anyday, and I'll be happy.

Edited by lulu519, Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:39 PM.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

My biggest unpopular opinion is that I really can't stand Maeby. At all. I don't think she's even remotely funny. The only aspect of her character that I enjoy is her relationship with George Michael, because it's so wrong and so funny, and it includes George Michael, whom I adore. But when it comes to Maeby's individual storylines, I find myself struggling to stay interested. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing or the character itself, but I just find her to be bratty, selfish, self-righteous, and annoying. The thing with the Bluth family is that each one of them has a few very unlikeable traits (even Michael), but somehow, they're lovable. But for some reason, that doesn't happen for me with Maeby's character.

This probably goes a long way towards explaining why she's the only character aside from Tobias who I'm not wild about. I am pretty sure I like the actress, though, so for me the problem was mostly with her (IMO) seemingly endless and repetitive studio exec storyline, which IMO did nothing to reveal her more likable, vulnerable sides.

lozzy

lozzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 8:00 PM

Although I love the "dangerous cousins" storyline, my other unpopular opinion is that I don't think it's the best recurring storyline of the series. Don't get me wrong, I find it incredibly funny and awkward and so wrong that it's good, but for me, it's the not the be-all and end-all of the show. Give me Gob's undying, insatiable need for both Michael & George Sr.'s approval, or Buster's struggle with accepting the fact that he lost his hand, or Michael's love/hate relationship with George Sr. over the "dangerous cousins' storyline anyday, and I'll be happy.

I've never been big on the Bunkin' Cousins either. I mean it provided some hilarious moments (Fun sexy time, famous reno sunset...) but I just never really cared if they got together or not. So many fans were waiting for a kiss and when we got it, it just wasn't a big deal to me.

No Touching

No Touching

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 11:58 PM

Prison Break-In is one of my favorite episodes from season three. I absolutely love the "Tobias is dying" storyline. Had it been a 22-episode, or even 18-episode, season, I would have liked to have seen more of it.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 8:36 AM

I'm actually geeky and lame enough to spend time figuring out my Top 12 AD episodes, and realized that a full EIGHT of them hail from S3. I had to confess this here, because I'm not sure opinions get much more unpopular than that!

Spoob

Spoob

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:21 AM

Is it an unpopular opinion to suggest they should have used Gene Parmesan in every single episode? I just watched the Amigos episode from S2 and every time he was on the screen it just about killed me. Lucille's reaction to him showing up is equally priceless.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:43 AM

Just when I think I've hit the maximum in unpopularity, I realize another one: I prefer Bob Loblaw to Barry Zuckercorn. I love HW and found the character amusing, but it got old for me. Bob Loblaw, in addition to having the best name of any TV character ever, freakin' killed me with some of his lines, particularly about not wanting to be associated with Lindsay and the IMO classic "why should you have to pay for a crime that someone else...noticed?"

Edited by marlaas, Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:44 AM.

Acid Penguins

Acid Penguins

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:59 AM

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I think that Tobias is the weakest character on the show. I don't dislike him and I find him funny on occasion, but to me his character/storylines aren't as multi-faceted as the other characters and seem a bit repetitive. IMO he is the character with the least emotional development throughout the entire series. This is with the possible exception of Lucille however, even though for me it would be OOC for her to show any and I love her just the way she is.

Also, I prefer Oscar to George Sr. Again, not sure if this is unpopular or not but I thought I'd just put it here anyway.

WakeMeUpLater

WakeMeUpLater

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 12:16 PM

I wished we got more Maeby/Michael interaction. The scenes they had together ("Not Without My Daughter" and "Afternoon Delight" in particular) always interested me more than any GM/Michael scene, although I did like those as well.

Skotodes

Skotodes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 1:10 PM

I didn't actually like the final block of 4 episodes that much. "Family Ties" was great, but the others were just so-so. Especially the one where they went to Iraq; that was just too ridiculous for my taste.

DHarveyOswald

DHarveyOswald

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 3:20 PM

Fakin' It is one of my very favorite AD episodes. That and The Cabin Show are the two from S3 that would make my list of overall favorites (not sure how many to narrow down to).

Acid Penguins

Acid Penguins

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 11:37 PM

I wished we got more Maeby/Michael interaction.

So do I. Their interaction on Afternoon Delight makes it one of my favourite, favourite episodes. I love the fact that the basis for the majority of their interaction is wanting to get back at Lindsay/GM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 12:41 AM

That's when Maeby is the best. That is when she is fighting for her mother's approval or trying to best her. It gives them both really good things to work with.

I would've liked to see Maeby interact with some other family members as well such as George, Buster, or GOB.

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 1:58 AM

I have to echo my sentiments on the disliking of Maeby. She was my least favorite character though I'm not entirely sure why. I do agree that the Maeby-as-executive storyline dragged a little bit and didn't really flow, it always kind of felt like it was just thrown in there at random as it didn't really flow into anyone else's lives all too much. Or something to that affect.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 7:29 AM

Maeby is a fine character who got mildly thrown under the bus the second season by the studio exec plot--it's a good plot, sure, but it became her only thing to do, almost like if every Buster scene would have had him at Army. Perhaps they felt that by focusing too much on her relationship with her parents it would get too depressing.