The Music of Friday Night Lights: The Beat of the Marching Band

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

480 replies to this topic

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

I'd like to talk a little about the music of this show, specifically the fantastic music selection of the FNL promos.

Remember the Name

Remember the Name is from Fort Minor's debut album; The Rising Tied. It's apparently very popular in sports circles since it's been used in FNL promos, the 2006 NBA playoffs, the 2006 NCAA men's basketball Big East Tournament on ESPN and promos for the movie Gridiron Gang.

I personally love the song and it goes great with the show. My interest went from large to fanatical the first time I saw Remember the Name blaring in that first FNL commercial I saw. Just a perfect blend of music and video editing.

Collide

Collide is from Howie Day's second album, Stop All The World Now. At first I didn't like it much because it seemed a little too teen drama-ey for the show but it really grew on me. It's a nice song that compliments Remember the Name in terms of the different sides of the show. I think it's perfect for Jason and Lyla's relationship.

Edited by jayseyfield, Sep 9, 2006 @ 11:09 PM.

dc222

dc222

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 3:34 AM

Don't forget the amazing song used at the beginning and the end of the FNL pilot which (I am reading in some places) will be the theme song for the show.

Its called "Remember Me As a Time of Day" and it is by the band Explosions in the Sky.
You can listen to the song at http://www.myspace.com/texasband.
Also check out http://www.explosionsinthesky.com. They were also responsible for most of the FNL movie soundtrack.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 3:41 AM

I downloaded "Remember Me As a Time of Day" off of iTunes. While I think it's a nice tune I think it is way too low-key and serene to be the music for the opening credits. Hopefully it's only being used for the intro in the pilot and when the OC debuts in season 2 (unless the OC debuted in the pilot) a different song will be used. I mean I'm not 100% against it and I'm sure I'd be more receptive if I saw a cut of the opening credits with that music but right now I'm against it.

Personally I wish they would just use "Remember the Name" for the opening credits. It really pumps me up and gets me ready for the show.

majenta

majenta

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 5:34 PM

I was wondering if they were going to use Explosions in the Sky's music for FNL the tv show, since they used it for such great effect in the movie. It might seem strange for a sports movie, but it really captures the brooding and excitement before a game. The band is also from Midland, TX (down the road from Odessa) and now live in Austin. They wrote original music for the film, it would be awesome if they did the same for the show.

dc222

dc222

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 2:31 PM

"Collide" is being used as the background music at the official site. Maybe that will be FNL's theme?

Drunken Bee

Drunken Bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2006 @ 11:52 AM

Explosions in the Sky is a fantastic band. They were a brainy choice for the film, even brainier to keep them on for the small screen.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 11:42 PM

I have to say that after seeing the pilot "Remember Me As a Time of Day" goes just beautifully with the show, especially the intro. It just captures that somber, yet hopeful feeling you get from this show really well. I loved it.

But with that said I don't think it's opening credits material. Because the music is nice but you don't want nice in an OC. You want something that has energy, something that pumps you up and gets you amped up for the show. They should use Remember the Name in the opening credit sequence.

Edited by jayseyfield, Sep 22, 2006 @ 11:35 PM.

Drunken Bee

Drunken Bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2006 @ 9:35 AM

Did anyone else notice that a Yeah Yeah Yeah's song was playing in the background during the car dealership opening scene? I couldn't tell if I liked it (loving the song) or if I thought it was a little too winky winky Hollywood hipster.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2006 @ 3:55 AM

I'm still holding out hope that they'll have a traditional opening credits sequence for the second episode and the song they'll use will be Remember the Name. You put Remember the Name at the start of every episode it's simply not possible for you not to get amped up for the show.

As nice as the low-key opening music, Remember me as the time of day was with movie like presentation of the credits were this show needs a little flash in addition to the substance.

Edited by jayseyfield, Oct 7, 2006 @ 3:55 AM.

babelfish

babelfish

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2006 @ 1:18 AM

Can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays when Coach Taylor gets the rest of the team to tackle Tim Riggins to teach him a lesson?

dc222

dc222

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2006 @ 10:05 PM

I'm not sure, but I think they changed the music that plays before we go into the diner after the "Friday Night Lights" title card for the NBC airing from the first pilot.

Edited by dc222, Oct 8, 2006 @ 10:05 PM.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 4:14 AM

Can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays when Coach Taylor gets the rest of the team to tackle Tim Riggins to teach him a lesson?

According to this recap it's Black Betty by Ram Jam.

Drunken Bee

Drunken Bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 10:57 AM

it's Black Betty by Ram Jam.

This is correct; the song is originally a folk song sung by African American field workers; blues/folk great Lead Belly recorded it in the 30s, and since then its been covered a gazillion times. The pilot episode uses the Ram Jam version, which (I think) is from the 70s.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 6:56 PM

Some of the music from FNL can be found herehere. Enjoy!

babelfish

babelfish

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 6:54 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm off to find it now. It was such a great song for that scene, don't you think?

Edited by babelfish, Oct 10, 2006 @ 6:54 AM.

Natalita

Natalita

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 7:57 PM

I never thought I would live to see the day when Explosions in the Sky was playing on a network TV show, but it is, and it .. works.

In tonight's episode they played "Your Hand in Mine", and it started when Street's girlfriend held his hand in the hospital. It worked so well, and it kept going throught the following scene. As someone said above in thread, its a brainy choice. But its also one of my very favorite bands, and I'm honestly watching the show because of the music. I figure if the same level of care goes into the script and character development as went into the music choice, then it must be a good show.

babelfish

babelfish

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 8:43 AM

The baked-goods montage sequence had a really nice song playing in the background. Does anyone know what it's called?

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 9:27 AM

I believe that song was "Devil Town" by Bright Eyes and I loved how it was used...

Does anyone know where I can find the full list (or can someone make one up?) of all the music used in last night's episode?

Edited by SiriuslyLupin, Oct 11, 2006 @ 2:55 PM.

babelfish

babelfish

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 9:46 AM

Cheers, m'dear!

dc222

dc222

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2006 @ 11:01 AM

I thought the opening theme worked perfect.

La Super Rica

La Super Rica

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

I believe that song was "Devil Town" by Bright Eyes and I loved how it was used...

The Bright Eyes cover is excellent, but that was not the one played in this episode. A quick Google search comes up with Daniel Johnston, who put out the song in the early 90s...maybe it was his version?

Edited by La Super Rica, Oct 12, 2006 @ 4:40 PM.

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 5:01 PM

The Bright Eyes cover is excellent, but that was not the one played in this episode.

Really? Then this means my closed captioning lied! How rude.

This might also explain why I loved it so much, as I'm usually averse to all things related to Conor Oberst :)

La Super Rica

La Super Rica

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 5:43 PM

Well, I'm not 100 percent sure, but I listen to Bright Eyes a lot and I've had their cover of Devil Town for a couple years, and the one played on FNL just didn't sound like Conor and Maria Taylor to me. But maybe I'm wrong and it is them. I hate that I can't find the answer online - I'm such a spoiled child of the interwebs.

This might also explain why I loved it so much, as I'm usually averse to all things related to Conor Oberst :)

We'll have to agree to disagree and call it a day :) This isn't Music Without Pity, after all!

I'm going to have to start looking into Explosions in the Sky...a nice perk of loving television is the great music that sometimes comes along with it!

Edited by La Super Rica, Oct 12, 2006 @ 8:37 PM.

stepliana

stepliana

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 8:00 PM

So what song did they end up using for the theme song? When I watched the opening credits, it didn't sound like Remember Me As A Time Of Day, to me.

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 9:33 PM

I hate that I can't find the answer online - I'm such a spoiled child of the interwebs.

Heh, I totally feel the same way. If you're curious, I checked out several Daniel Johnston versions (through, um, questionable means) and they sound completely different from the song used in the episode (more echo-laden and eerily quiet). Either Berg used a specific (and totally different from the ones I sampled) version that I can't find or its a completely different artist. I'm willing to go with the latter (though I'll concede, after checking out the Bright Eyes version, that its definately not Bright Eyes...).

Damn it. NBC should just post the stupid playlist for each episode.

majenta

majenta

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2006 @ 10:21 PM

I think it is the Bright Eyes version, but I think they mixed it differently. The volume of the instruments in relation to the vocals is different than in the Bright Eyes version on the album. Plus I think there's various feedback/ ambient noise (people talking and cheering) that is layered on top of the music.

mmcdonald64

mmcdonald64

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

Someone over on the nbc board posted that the song was "Devil Town" by Tony Lucca. His website mentions it, but there doesn't appear to be anywhere to download the song.

www.tonylucca.com

traceybelle

traceybelle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 2:44 PM

Damn it. NBC should just post the stupid playlist for each episode.

I know. FOX did that for the OC and it became this huge deal and added to the popularity of the show.

ashsplash

ashsplash

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 6:38 PM

Ok this has been driving me crazy all week. Does any one know what the song is during the scence in episode two where Coach Taylor is telling the team that Jason is paralyzed? I've searched everywhere and cannot find it.

SiriuslyLupin

SiriuslyLupin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 12:30 AM

ashsplash, I don't believe it was an actual song, more of a background-style, thematic tune (similar to the one played during the opening credits), possibly composed by the uh, music composer on the show, which if I didn't hallucinate during the credits, is apparently W.G. Snuffy Walden (!!!).

ETA: Scratch that, apparently it is a song (though I have no idea which one). I was thinking of the wrong scene, sorry!

Edited by SiriuslyLupin, Oct 18, 2006 @ 12:36 AM.