Zorro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 9:16 AM

Thought I'd start a thread for this show. This is for the 1990 series starring Duncan Regehr.

I can't be the only one to remember this show. Used to watch it on the Family Channel.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 10:07 AM

I absolutely adored that show! He's my favorite Zorro. I think about it every now and again--even bought an old VHS of an episode. That show should definitely be brought to DVD.

I miss watching it.

Edited by westwinger247, Sep 1, 2006 @ 10:07 AM.

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

I *LOVED* Zorro -- totally addicted to it when it was on Family Channel... wow, I thought I was the only on who ever watched it!

I really loved Victoria Escalante (great foil for Don Diego -- a stong, entrepreneurial woman not part of the original mythos), and DR was just absolutely my type, with or without mask. Loved the Michael Tylo as the Alcalde, too... I rememberd him from Guiding Light when I was in high school, fondly.

Fun, campy stories; beautiful locations... we definitely need these on DVD!!!

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 12:39 PM

Oh, I know. Luckily someone on a list I'm on is uploading eps (can e-mail/pm links if you like). I haven't seen any since Family Channel quit airing them. I'm going to watch "Family Business" tonight (the one where Felipe's supposed mother shows up).

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:44 PM

DR was just absolutely my type, with or without mask.

Without a doubt. He was just so handsome. Everytime I see him on another show I shout "It's Don Diego!"

I was partial to Ephram (sp?) Zimbalest, Jr as Don Alejandro, though.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 3:15 PM

I was for Henry Darrow all the way. My sister and I just both liked him better. I'll have to see if I change my opinion when I get to the second season this time.

Oh, and we adored the theme song.

Edited by Tzigone, Sep 1, 2006 @ 3:21 PM.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

Oh, and we adored the theme song.

I sang along with it each episode. I don't remember it now, but I may just pull out my VHS tape to watch it. I believe it was the episode(s) where Don Diego loses his memory and forgets that he's Zorro.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 9:51 PM

I don't recall such an episode (which means nothing, my memory is sketchy), but I do remember an ep where Alejandro knocks himself in the head and dresses up as Zorro. He's unmasked and Victoria faints or something.

Edited by Tzigone, Sep 1, 2006 @ 9:51 PM.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 11:02 PM

do remember an ep where Alejandro knocks himself in the head and dresses up as Zorro.

Now that one I don't remember at all. I remember Alejandro and his old buddies going after Cordoba and Diego/Zorro hiding and "helping" them out because he saw their training techniques, which weren't that good.

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, screenwriting, journalism, public relations.

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 1:04 AM

"When daggers are pointed at innocent hearts, and muskets are ready to fire.... when tyrants ride high, and govern with fear, and the forces of evil conspire.... "

I loved this show when I was a kid.... it was one of my favorites (along with MacGyver and Quantum Leap, incidentally). I credit this show with inspiring my love of swordplay, which is what led me to become a Highlander fan many years later....

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 7:07 PM

Now that one I don't remember at all. I remember Alejandro and his old buddies going after Cordoba and Diego/Zorro hiding and "helping" them out because he saw their training techniques, which weren't that good.

My memory is a bit vague. He was reading Don Quixote. He somehow discovered the passageway and went into the cave. Then he hit his head. Came riding into town dressed as Zorro and called Victoria Dulcinea. Seems like he swang (swung?) from a chandalier, but was too short to kick someone in the face or something when he did. That's all I remember, besides Victoria fainting and Diego saying he couldn't be the real Zorro because Zorro was much taller.

I don't remember the ep with Alejandro's old buddies, though I have seen others refer to it.

I probably remember the Gilberto eps better than any others. I recently saw a good vid on the Diego v. Gilberto aspect of that ep. Here is a link (youtube).

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 8:39 AM

I just found something cool at the library:

Allende, Isabel. Zorro: a novel. New York: HarperCollins, 2005. 390 pp, hardback. ISBN 0-06-077897-0.

It is translated from Spanish by Maragaret Peden... starts before Don Diego's born, when Don Alejandro is still in the army, dealing with Native Americans. In this incarnation of the mythos, Diego's mom is a Shoshone warrior princess who hates the Spanish, and Bernardo is a full-blooded Shoshone.

So far, I'm enjoying it...Diego is off to Barcelona. I'll let you know when he comes back!

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

I don't know if anyone's still interesting in talking about this, but having just gotten into it recently, I can't resist. I missed this show first run. Well, not entirely missed it, but didn't really have access to it (I had just started college and had no TV), and my love for Disney's Zorro (Guy Williams as Don Diego was my first major TV crush) was such that this had a hard time really registering with me. However, I finally discovered this on FamilyNet and I fell in love with it so fast that I just had to get the whole series on DVD, and now I love them both, though I must say that some of the guest stars on this show are truly terrible actors (Jesse Ventura was particularly awful beyond belief).

I think I've watched "One Special Night" about ten times; it is definitely one of my favorite episodes even if I bloody well wished Victoria would actually buy a heaping large clue-- she got jealous about Diego enough. That really is the most frustrating thing about masked heroes, especially here. Often it seems incredible beyond belief that no one puts two and two together and gets four. It is especially troublesome here, considering how very tall Duncan Regehr is and how noticeably blue his eyes are. I mean how many men in Los Angeles are that tall with mustaches and blue eyes. It's incredible that neither Victoria nor Alejandro figure it out. Well, at least in the last episode it looks like Alejandro has finally figured it out and that Diego is going to tell him, but poor Victoria seems to be clueless to the end. I do wish the series could have ended with Diego and Victoria finally getting married.

I also loved "Master and Pupil"; Diego's anger and pain at the loss of his mentor was a very powerful moment to me.

It's funny in just about every version of Zorro, I always am more interested in seeing Diego than his alter ego. Mainly because I think it's the mask that he wears as Diego that's more intriguing than the one he wears as Zorro (especially when dealing with the disappointment of his father). So I've always loved the episodes where Diego has to deal with things as himself rather than Zorro. Like the duel he has to fight with Sir Miles Thackery in "He Who Lives by the Sword".

It's the same in Disney's Zorro. My favorite in that one is "Zorro: the Luckiest Swordsman Alive" where after Zorro has been framed for stealing from the church and killing someone, Diego ends up having to stop the real thief/murderer from getting away in full sight of the chief villain by swordfighting like he doesn't know how while still managing to take him down.

Oh, and for a surreal experience, over the holidays, I was in a very Zorroy mood and was alternating watching one DVD of this Zorro followed by one of Disney's. It got a little weird, though the one truly shallow conclusion that I came to is that Guy Williams's Zorro had the better cape (it had holes for the arms to go through which seemed to make it better for riding and fighting-- no twisting into his way) but Duncan Regehr's had the better mask (one piece that went completely over his hair). And I prefer the sword fights in Disney to those in New World-- with the exception I think of Diego's fight with Gilberto at the end of the series.

Edited by lacorelli, Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:34 PM.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I guess I am the only one who wants to discuss the series, but I can't resist anyway. One thing I think is a bit ironic is that considering that I've mostly seen Duncan Regehr play villains, his Diego/ Zorro is really the gentlest version I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure that Guy Williams' Zorro had a higher body count than he did.

Another thing, which I only discovered while making fanvids of the series, is that there must have been a deliberate choice made not to show Diego in the full Zorro costume with the mask off. In "Master and Pupil" and "Devil's Fortress" when the mask comes off, the camera ends up tight on his face. And when he retrieves his mask and hat in "Devil's Fortress" the camera is up high, showing the top of his head but not his face. And in other episodes, we see him start to put the shirt on and then the camera moves on or the scene shifts. The two best shots of him partially in costume only appear in season four in the episodes "An Affair to Remember" and "The Reward". It's odd, in Disney's Zorro, there are a lot of moments with Diego in costume with the mask off.

After having watched through the series a couple of times now, I must say that overall the episode I love best is "Master and Pupil"; to me it's practically perfect in every way (even if some of the camera work gets a bit artsy craftsy). The plot and the acting are just so good all the way through. I love "One Special Night" but the villains in the B plot can't act and I tend to fast forward through it. I also love "He who Lives by the Sword" but I keep wondering why the Alcade doesn't just ambush Miles Thackery and deal with him that way-- it's not like Ramone is a nice man either.

Also, I don't think I'll ever forgive the episode "It's A Wonderful Zorro" for turning Victoria into a "lady of negotiable affections" (to borrow a phrase from Discworld) in a world without Zorro. I just can't buy that. Her getting bitter and cynical and cold-- yes. Or having been shot or hung for revolutionary plots (since there would be no Zorro to save her)-- even more probable. But what we saw just didn't seem to fit her character, and I hated it. Loathed it. Though I did like Zorro threatening the Alcade with death near the end. In any event, I don't particularly like Christmas themed episodes for any show. It's the Grinch in me I think.

I think "All for One" is a rather odd story in which Diego seems to have become the guest star in his own series. But for the most part I really like the multipart stories since they have more time to tell the story and don't seem particularly rushed. While most episodes seem to work pretty well in the basically 20 minute of actually story time format, there were a couple that felt like they had to drop important plot points to try to fit everything in. For small things, I'd love to have seen Diego's talk with the Emissary in "One Special Night" or his fighting a bull with a broomstick which resulted in the broken leg we see in "My Word is My Bond."

Also, in "An Explosive Situation" while I think we can take everyone actually praising Diego in the end as being what Diego's dreams and desires would be, we didn't get to see Alejandro's which beyond that would I think include Diego getting married and providing him with those grandbabies he's been going on about. "A Woman Scorned" also seems a bit odd and rushed, and while they seemed to be wanting to make Senora Sinestra some kind of femme fatale, the actress really didn't have the talent to bring it off and it just really didn't work.

One episode that I adore, but feel I shouldn't because it's an anvilicious message episode, is "Turning the Tables." Basically a bigot is taught the error of his ways, by being made to think he's been transformed into what he hates. It's cliche and been done before, but I can't but laugh my way through the episode. It's the acting that makes it work. I also love how Diego manages to convince De Soto that he's contracted Napoleonic shrinking disease. It's such a delight watching Alejandro, Diego, and Felipe working together, that I can ignore the headache caused by the anvil landing on my head at the end.

Lugal

Lugal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

I loved this show when I was a kid! I thought they did a good job. I'd be curious to see it as an adult, if the eps still hold up. I remember playing in the woods next my house with a mask and sword, because of this show, and Highlander.

I also realized that Spain looks more like 19th Century California than modern California does.

Another thing, which I only discovered while making fanvids of the series, is that there must have been a deliberate choice made not to show Diego in the full Zorro costume with the mask off.

Interesting. I seem to recall they did a good job keeping Diego and Zorro separate. I remember on Queen of Swords, by the end of the run Tessa was looking like a reverse raccoon from mask tanlines

It's funny in just about every version of Zorro, I always am more interested in seeing Diego than his alter ego.

It's funny because Diego is the one that changes most between various versions. I remember in the original novel Diego is very much a foppish character. In the 1920 silent, his response to everything seems to be "I'm so tired. I must rest." Granted it was a good excuse to leave and become Zorro.

I thought Duncan Regehr downplayed the foppishness, showing Diego as a man of words not of action, especially after he started the Guardian.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

It's funny because Diego is the one that changes most between various versions. I remember in the original novel Diego is very much a foppish character. In the 1920 silent, his response to everything seems to be "I'm so tired. I must rest." Granted it was a good excuse to leave and become Zorro.

Perhaps that's what I find most interesting. Of course, the movie versions of Diego could go the more exaggerated foppish route, since almost inevitably Zorro would be unmasked by the end and thus Diego didn't have to play the role for as long as his TV counterparts. I imagine that Regehr's or Williams' Diego would be driven mad if they played their characters anything like Tyrone Powers played Diego (even Powers seemed to drop the act at dangerous points throughout his film) considering how long they both ended up having to be Zorro.

I thought Duncan Regehr downplayed the foppishness, showing Diego as a man of words not of action, especially after he started the Guardian.

I absolutely adored the fact that his Diego really was interested in the arts and sciences, and simply exaggerated his pacifistic nature, as well as playing sick when necessary. In some ways, I think it made it easier for him to sustain the part, even when he gets frustrated with having to appear weak. I think things were a little more difficult for Guy Williams' Diego who didn't seem to be actually as interested in books as he appeared to be, though he did clearly enjoy music (though for some reason they dubbed his singing voice).

I've often felt in this and in Disney's Zorro, the hardest thing for Diego to have to deal with is disappointing his father. "The Word" is such a key episode for this series, and I could feel for both Diego and Alejandro in the scene where Alejandro calls Diego a coward. I do wish they'd actually dealt with the fall out a bit more. But I guess that's the problem with a very episodic series that doesn't carry over too much from episode to episode.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

For those who get FamilyNet, it looks like Zorro has finally reappeared on their Saturday schedule, two episodes back to back from 4-5 pm eastern time. They appear to be in season 2 right now. They showed "The Chase" and "Broken Heart, Broken Mask" yesterday, so "White Sheep of the Family" and "The Challenge" should be the next two up.

Editing to add: Actually, checking the schedule, it looks like the back to back episodes was a fluke. Next week, they're showing "White Sheep of the Family" in the 4-4:30pm Saturday slot.

Of course, I broke down and bought the DVDs when the show disappeared before because I'd gotten hooked and just had to see the rest of the series, but I thought I'd bring this up for anyone else who's interested.

I love "The Chase". It's a good, tense episode with a tracker who's very good at what he does, and clearly by the end knows exactly who Zorro is, but won't tell because Zorro saved his life.

"Broken Heart, Broken Mask" is a key episode, but I find I need to be in the right mood to watch it, as it's rather dark, and while it has Zorro and Victoria's first proper kiss, I wish the ending had been a bit different. I rather hate "the status quo is god" aspect that keeps Victoria and Alejandro from finding out the truth. This would have been a good point to change things.

Edited by lacorelli, Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:07 PM.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I can't quite figure out Family Net's schedule. This past Saturday one episode, this coming Saturday 2, and now they're starting from the beginning weekdays in the 2:30-3:00pm slot and continuing on with the 2nd season in the 4-5pm Saturday slot.

Anyway, this past Saturday, they showed "White Sheep of the Family", and yes, despite the fact that I have the DVDs, I still watched the episode on Family net. I generally like to call this the eviller twin episode since it is too strange to think that in this case Luis Ramone qualifies as the "good" twin. He describes Vincente as a thief and a murderer, which made me wonder just in what way is that any different than Luis who is most definitely a thief and who if not a murderer certainly doesn't have a problem profiting off of murderers. It was interesting that the "eviller" twin was the more charming and personable.

Ramone really is a puzzling character. He has a tendency to back down immediately once a scheme is exposed, and he does seem to prefer not to do the dirty work himself. And the spelling of his last name (which I remember appears on a sign in "It's a Wonderful Zorro") just doesn't seem right since if it's a Spanish name it should be pronounced with three syllables rather than the two in the series.

And one other thing I noticed that seemed a bit odd. When Diego is in the cave checking the fingerprints on the things he took from the Alcade's office, he seems to be wearing Zorro's pants with his white shirt. I don't know that it's particularly significant, but it's the first time I noticed that. Usually he's either dressed fully as Zorro or fully as Diego. I suspect it was probably due to a rush in filming in this case.

Edited by lacorelli, Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:25 AM.