The Meet Market: End Zone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

420 replies to this topic

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 5:59 PM

jayseyfield, thanks to one of the links you posted in the Media thread I just found out that the showrunner, Jason Katims, was a writer for My So-Called Life. That's one of my all time favorite shows. I like Jason already. If FNL can match MSCL's quality in terms of storytelling and character development I will love him forever :)

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 8:01 PM

I so do not need another show, but I can't resist football, especially as my Redskins hurt me so. And I love Kyle Chandler. I can't wait.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 9:23 PM

I like Jason already.

I'm really glad to hear that. I really have confidence in Peter Berg but I'm not as familiar with Jason Katims as much and I've heard some not-so-nice things about him in regards to Roswell. Hopefully it was more the dynamics of that show than anything specific about Katims.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 22, 2006 @ 9:34 PM.

MisterMcGee

MisterMcGee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 10:05 PM

Hey everyone - I'm looking forward to this one as well, now that I finally saw the movie a few weeks ago. I just like that it's different from the usual dramas and one of my recap picks.

On a slightly different note, has anyone seen the previews for The Rock's new movie, Gridiron Gang? It's about him forming a high school(ish) football team and it uses the same music as the one's in the FNL previews. Confuses me every time the commercial airs.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 10:09 PM

On a slightly different note, has anyone seen the previews for The Rock's new movie, Gridiron Gang? It's about him forming a high school(ish) football team and it uses the same music as the one's in the FNL previews. Confuses me every time the commercial airs.

I have, I turned my head but was dissapointed to see The Rock instead of the FNL stuff.

I think Remember the Name is popular among sports circles. I heard it was used in TNT's NBA coverage too.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 22, 2006 @ 10:09 PM.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 11:52 PM

This is the first chance I've had to make it to TWoP today, and I was about to read the Project Runway recap when I noticed that little football on the 'guess the lineup' header. First thought? Same as many of you: jayseyfield!

Way to go, man. I'm psyched for you. I'm happy it's being recapped, too, and I hope the rest of the season maintains the quality of the pilot.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:05 AM

Way to go, man. I'm psyched for you. I'm happy it's being recapped, too, and I hope the rest of the season maintains the quality of the pilot.

Blanky thank you. I'm actually a little bit embarassed, I guess my unhealthy devotion to this show must have really made an impression for everyone to mention my name!

Also much thanks to marlass, quietone, and HungryHippo for the shoutouts.

And just so you know Blanky I was (and still am) rooting for Smith to nab one of the remaining spots. You're so clearly devoted to your show so I want you to be as happy as I am!

I still get so happy when I pull down the list of shows and see "Friday Night Lights", and I just love looking at the football art.

ETA: In regards to the contest. I did not pick Ugly Betty, Kidnapped and Six Degrees. I did pick Friday Night Lights, Jericho, Heroes and Studio 60. So I got four outta seven so far.

But I got the most important one right so I don't feel too bad.

ETA2: I was just thinking that while interest in this show isn't as high as some other shows I think it's doing really well considering it's not from a writer who has an existing fanbase (Sorkin, Whedon), doesen't have many well known actors, and not a sci-fi/fantasy show that attracts a lot of the ComicCon types (like Heroes or Jericho).

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 23, 2006 @ 4:17 AM.

acroarcs

acroarcs

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV and baseball. TV shows: Friday Night Lights, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Chuck, Amazing Race, Gossip Girl, Brothers and Sisters, Lost, Dollhouse. The departed Alias, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, and Firefly.

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 7:15 AM

Gotta say that this is the one new series this fall that really gets me excited. There are some others that I'll be watching, but I'm expecting this one to hook me from the start.

And they're even filming in my old town! Pflugerville High - where they've been shooting the football scenes - is the rival high school of the one I would've gone to if my family hadn't moved away from Austin.

Sefdawg

Sefdawg

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 10:13 AM

Hello to everyone.

As if I don't watch enough tv, NBC goes and adds a football show to its lineup. I love football, so I am hoping this show will lean more towards that aspect. But I also tended to enjoy the teen drama show on occasion. (Thanks to my wife)

Just wanted to introduce myself in the beginning. I look forward to discussing the show with you guys here.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:51 AM

Hey, all. I see some familiar names (jayseyfield, quietone, and marlaas!).

I can't wait until the show stars. Like I needed to watch yet another show.

Edited by PepSinger, Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:52 AM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 12:06 AM

PepSinger, seriously right? I watch way too much tv, so I'm actively hoping some of the new shows turn out to be really bad so I don't want to watch them. I'm pretty excited about FNL and S60 and wish the opposite for them. I am perversly interested in Ugly Betty but purely so I can compare it to the previous versions. At my house we have had the versions of Betty being watched some time or another for the past five or six years. So I gotta check it out.

Back on topic, hi all who watch way too much tv and spend even more time talking about it!

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

It is crazy how many TV shows (new and returning) that I will be watching this season. My Tivo is going to be working overtime. However, Studio 60 and FNL are the only new shows that I am excited about being recapped. FNL looks awesome and I can't wait to see it. I mean, it's a football drama with Kyle Chandler. What more could I want?

Preciosa

Preciosa

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 9:56 AM

I'm actually a little bit embarassed, I guess my unhealthy devotion to this show must have really made an impression for everyone to mention my name!

Admittance is the first step to getting better.

I have to say that seeing this is on at the same time time as GG relegates it to commercial breaks and hiatus status. But I might get into it. If i learn some more about American football, lord knows Two-A-Days confused the hell out of me.

YourMom

YourMom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 10:47 AM

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, which is kind of surprising since I'm a HUGE sports fan. But the football aspect will hopefully make it interesting.

But really, when all's said and done, I am another of those for whom the appeal can be summed up in two simple words: Kyle Chandler. I don't think that makes us old. Does it?

This is one of the four new shows I'm semi-excited for (The Nine, Studio 60 and Six Degrees being the others, even though JJ's involvement on the latter should be a huge, blinking sign reading, "Stay away. This can only end in bitterness."). I think I'll at least try all four, figuring that no more than two will actually prove to be worth my time.

Edited by YourMom, Aug 25, 2006 @ 10:48 AM.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

Admittance is the first step to getting better.

Well I never said I wanted to get better... :)

moonvine

moonvine

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 2:30 PM

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, which is kind of surprising since I'm a HUGE sports fan. But the football aspect will hopefully make it interesting.

You should read the book. Everyone should. It is just incredible.

acroarcs

acroarcs

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV and baseball. TV shows: Friday Night Lights, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Chuck, Amazing Race, Gossip Girl, Brothers and Sisters, Lost, Dollhouse. The departed Alias, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, and Firefly.

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 2:35 PM

You should read the book. Everyone should. It is just incredible.

Should I? I read a different Bissinger book, 3 Nights in August, and came away with the impression that if he hadn't been writing about I topic I love (baseball) and hadn't had some incredible storylines to work with (the chapter on Darryl Kile nearly brought me to tears), I would not have been very impressed with the book at all.

Of course, I'm sure that FNL meets both of those points as well, so I should read it. Maybe he just writes about things I want to read about, regardless what I think of his writing.

moonvine

moonvine

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 3:07 PM

Should I? I read a different Bissinger book, 3 Nights in August, and came away with the impression that if he hadn't been writing about I topic I love (baseball) and hadn't had some incredible storylines to work with (the chapter on Darryl Kile nearly brought me to tears), I would not have been very impressed with the book at all.

Of course, I'm sure that FNL meets both of those points as well, so I should read it. Maybe he just writes about things I want to read about, regardless what I think of his writing.

Well, I haven't read 3 Nights in August, but I would advise anyone to just check FNL out. If it doesn't grab you pretty quickly you don't have to finish reading it. I can't imagine any library not having it, and you can buy it for $1.77 on Amazon, so if you don't like it you haven't invested a ton.

As for the writing, I really can't compare the books as I have only read one of them. FNL was a bestseller, #4 of 100 of SI's Top 100 Sports Books of All Time - http://sportsillustr...sports_books/1/ , and is now used as fodder for college discussions. That may or may not sway your decision either way.

In the meantime, bring on Kyle Chandler!

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

I'm not much of a book reader, and it's not because I don't like reading but it's hard for me to find a book that I really like. It seems I either hate a book or can't put it down.

Anyway I tried to read FNL and I just couldn't get into it. I tried again recently and did a fairly good job making it about halfway. With that said I didn't love it.

Now a book about football I did love? Patriot Reign by Michael Holly. It details the story of the New England Patriots during their second championship run and it's fabulous, I couldn't put it down and I've read it about 140 times.

Proabably my favorite part is the drama surrounding Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 25, 2006 @ 3:27 PM.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 9:18 PM

PepSinger, seriously right? I watch way too much tv, so I'm actively hoping some of the new shows turn out to be really bad so I don't want to watch them.

Heh. That would be helpful, wouldn't it?

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2006 @ 10:51 PM

The main thing compelling me to watch this 'teen drama' is Kyle Chandler.

I'm pretty sure I'm not old, and he's the only reason I'm watching.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 2:54 AM

I watched MTV's Two-a-Days tonight. I thought it was okay and all, but I think I like fiction over the real thing.

Putting together my ideal Tuesday night, Friday Night Lights would be at 8pm, Ugly Betty at 9pm (Because after watching FNL, I want something more light) then I guess Smith at 10pm (although I could easily go with Kidnapped here).

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 28, 2006 @ 2:59 AM.

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 12:15 PM

Ugly Betty is airing Thursday not Tuesday.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 12:40 PM

Ugly Betty is airing Thursday not Tuesday.

I know, that's why I said "ideal night".

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 28, 2006 @ 3:14 PM.

XtremeOne1

XtremeOne1

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 2:11 AM

I watched MTV's Two-a-Days tonight. I thought it was okay and all, but I think I like fiction over the real thing.

Putting together my ideal Tuesday night, Friday Night Lights would be at 8pm, Ugly Betty at 9pm (Because after watching FNL, I want something more light) then I guess Smith at 10pm (although I could easily go with Kidnapped here).

My idol Tuesday would be FNL at 8, Veronica Mars at 9, and then Smith at 10! ANd I get that!!! Sorry college roommate, i know u'll watch FNL, but u have no choice but to watch Veronica Mars! Best show on TV! Sorry had to say it. ANd I'm doing season pass for GG for when i come back. Tuesday is going to be the best night of television!

Please use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation on the boards.

Edited by Drunken Bee, Aug 29, 2006 @ 10:14 AM.

nls65

nls65

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 1:31 PM

I don't think I can even express how excited I am to find a forum to discuss this show that is mature and full of people who can express ideas in full sentences and with correct grammar and spelling. I'm so tired of boards where people just focus on how hot this or that actor/character is and couldn't care less if the show had any substance.

Anyway, hi. I'm really excited to see this show develop into what I can only assume will be a must-see, each week.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 3:45 PM

I have never ever been interested in football, football players, cheerleaders because I've always maintained that they suck at life. With that out of the way, I am beyond ridiculously excited for this show in a way that I haven't been since The OC and Housewives started.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 5:54 PM

I have never ever been interested in football, football players, cheerleaders because I've always maintained that they suck at life.

I know quite a few football players and cheerleaders who are quite cool and nice.

It'd be nice if this show goes against the stereotypes without necessarily getting all preachy about it.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 2:31 PM

ABC is making a football tv show too.

ABC is looking to import Blighty phenom "Footballers' Wives" to the States.
Touchstone Television-based producers Chris Brancato and Bert Salke are partnering with comedy scribe-producer Marco Pennette ("Ugly Betty," "Crumbs") to adapt the Shed Prods. format as an hourlong sudser. U.S. skein will take place in the world of pro football rather than soccer but will otherwise retain much of the over-the-top spirit of the original.

How clever, they won't have to change the original title at all.

ETA: Dasani is a really cool name for a baby girl.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 30, 2006 @ 10:42 PM.

XtremeOne1

XtremeOne1

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2006 @ 1:12 AM

What I don't get is how they expect FW to be popular here? I've seen the BBC version and what makes it great is it's pretty much an HBO show on basic cable(well from the Brits) here it's just going be a PG version of the show, that won't be half as interesiting. I would hope HBO would do it, but ABC? Nope.