Love Hurts, Sex Kills: The "Romance" Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4714 replies to this topic

msquare

msquare

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 3:44 PM

It seems that several of the current threads are getting bogged down with discussions of romantic relationships. The spoiler thread hasn't had a real spoiler in days, just perspectives on whether Cameron and House should/should not occur or is/is not going to happen this season.

Does the idea of any romantic hook-up between characters turn you off? Do you like Cameron/House? Hate Cameron/House? Think Wilson/House is in the subtext? Think they are just good friends? Cheer for House/Cuddy? Think Cuddy/Chase would be hot? Want to see the kids that would result from Cameron and Chase? Feel bad for poor Foreman because he never gets hooked-up with anyone?

And for the group who doesn't care at all - they are probably tired of running into it on threads that are supposed to be for other purposes. I know it is sometimes difficult to get a new thread going, but there are lots of House fans who like to talk about relationships; it's an intriguing part of the show. Can we possibly move it all here so other threads can, as Cuddy would say "do their job"?

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Aug 11, 2007 @ 12:24 AM.

kiwi from hell

kiwi from hell

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 3:56 PM

Foreman/Nurse Brenda!

storethejuice

storethejuice

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 4:12 PM

I'm definitely a House/Cameron fan, because the dynamic fascinates me. People need to stop beating on Cameron--she made me cringe a LOT during the first season, but I love her now. So yay for H/C! However, I DO NOT want Perfect!Boyfriend House and lovey-dovey crap you find in fanfic. I don't want him to be miraculously healed by love. And I don't want them to seal the deal now. I have the utmost faith in the writers, though.

That said, I'm all for a one-night stand with House/Cuddy. That would be awesome and/or hilarious! I lovelovelove their banter. As for House/Wilson...I see how people get the "subtext" and everything, but I'm a HUGE fan of their friendship. I would like to see how Wilson/Cuddy would play out, though. Cuddy needs to get laid, and SOON. She's too wound up, haha.

Cameron/Chase...just NO. I lost a ton of respect for Chase when he kinda-sorta raped Cameron. (It wasn't rape, but...meh. I don't know, it was pretty low.)

Seriously, though, I watch House instead of Grey's for a reason. I don't want a huge orgy.

msquare

msquare

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 4:53 PM

I can't see Wilson/Cuddy at all. As good friends, yes; as romantic partners, no. She is way too strong for him. Same goes for House/Cameron. He'd eat her alive, in between stomping all over her feelings. I'm not saying she couldn't deal with it (she has gotten better), but why would she want to? I'd also rather see them both with someone closer to their own ages.

Seriously, though, I watch House instead of Grey's for a reason. I don't want a huge orgy.

Amen.

Asynca

Asynca

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:03 PM

I can't see Wilson/Cuddy at all. As good friends, yes; as romantic partners, no. She is way too strong for him.

Wilson's not a pushover. Just because he usually doesn't yell and stomp around doesn't mean he has any less strength of character. He's been dealing with House as a best buddy for (speculatively) over 5 years - you don't become House's buddy unless you've got a strong constitution.

Having said that, Wilson/Cuddy.... no. House/Wilson, yes... for reasons I've already posted EVERYWHERE.

sinosei

sinosei

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:08 PM

Chase/Mark forever!

But seriously, if the previous seasons have been any indication, there is "no who should be with whom" in this series-- there will just be one excruciatingly long stream of characters getting together and then separating. And by "characters" I mean "House." Most of the other romances have been either off-screen (Wilson/Wife #3), one-episode only (Foreman/drug rep-- and *she* was after House), or between two of the regulars (Chase/Cameron, Wilson-Cuddy).

It makes me kind of sad. The supporting characters are interesting too, I'd like to see more of their personal lives. It doesn't need to be the All House, All The Time show. By developing the others more HL would get more time to rest, too.

Strawberry Blue

Strawberry Blue

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

I agree with the Cameron/House-he'd-crush-her-soul-to-pieces theory. Cameron has gotten better, to her credit, but she's still just too soft. She'd take his bitterness, but she wouldn't be happy.

I think that Cuddy and House would be interesting. She's strong enough for him, and he's strong enough for her. They'd piss each other off to no end, but that could be very entertaining...

I also like Wilson/Cameron. I know he's been labeled as a "serial adulterer" but still...They're both just so nice.

Chase...Chase having a crush on House could be cute. Nothing happening, but it could make for a good side-plot.

Asynca

Asynca

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

I also like Wilson/Cameron. I know he's been labeled as a "serial adulterer" but still...They're both just so nice.

Wilson would get bored in five minutes. The only person we've seen him commit to is House - albeit not in a romantic fashion (yet). Women seem rather transient to him, as much he'd HATE to admit that.

I also get from 'Skin Deep' and that House, The Is God scene that he doesn't respect her that much. He gives her a lot of big brotherly advice (ie, in Spin), but neither of those scenes make me think he has any sort of romantic regard for her. I think she's a little too starry-eyed and naive for him.

There's all this talk about how 'nice' Wilson is. I think this could be a little misleading. He actually says something to the effect of being nice is how you get what you want. He actively uses his niceness to manipulate people. House threatens to kick him out, and suddenly there's all this cooking and food around. Not to mention he's a cheater (at his own admission), and he talks about a formula of how to manipulate women into his pants. He's not the golden boy Cameron might see in him.

Edited by Asynca, Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:28 PM.

sdem

sdem

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:26 PM

But how many people have been in the situation that Cameron is in? She totally likes someone who is so wrong for her. And he is attracted to her. Hugh has said so himself about his character.

It took me 2 of these sort of relationships before I realized I could never be happy with them before I finally got myself healthy. I was 36 years old before that happened! I relate to Cameron. I'm not saying it is healthy but I think something like this is very realistic and it can make for great TV because it is a damaged relationship. Let's face it, House is a wreck and really she is, too. I wish they would spend more time on giving us some background on her instead of having her sit there and be preachy (sorry, I don't think I was like that).

Personally I love their moments together and wish it would continue along those lines. But I am very much a House/Cuddy shipper because ultimately I find their relationship to be a more realistic and as healthy as you can get.

But to cut off the Cameron/House connection would be to forget about the past 2 years. Let's face it, this has been simmering from 1/2 way through Season 1. David Shore put it on the back burner last year because they wanted to deal with the Stacy storyline. Now that that is out the way, it is back. I say bring it on. It will make for some good television as long as it doesn't take over the show.

Laekaen

Laekaen

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:58 PM

Honestly?

No main character / Any other main character.

Keep the friendships, keep the mentor/student relationships, play with the UST if you must but keep the ship out of the equation.

I want to watch House interact with all the other characters, I don't want the show to become all about House/whoever.

merlin7

merlin7

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 6:07 PM

Honestly?

Keep the friendships, keep the mentor/student relationships, play with the UST if you must but keep the ship out of the equation.

I want to watch House interact with all the other characters, I don't want the show to become all about House/whoeverundefined

What you said.

Edited by merlin7, Aug 20, 2006 @ 6:04 PM.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 6:44 PM

Honestly?

I want to watch House interact with all the other characters, I don't want the show to become all about House/whoeverundefined

I third that... But since this is the shipper thread:

I love Wilson - anyone who's been hanging around here for more than five minutes can confirm that. But... he's not that nice. He *seems* nice and I think deep down, he has a good heart. But in his own way, he's as manipulative and unhappy as House. I don't see him as compatible with Cameron because in her own way, I think she's far too straightforward for him. I think he might initially enjoy the challenge of wooing her, but I think for Wilson, once the chase (no pun intended) is over, he gets bored and moves on. Cameron, for better or for worse, is pretty open with her feelings. I think Wilson probably prefers women who keep him guessing.

Also, for all that House dwells on Cameron's damagedness (is that a real word or a "word" in a George-Bush-sort-of-way?), I don't think that Cameron is needy enough for Wilson. Cameron may have some baggage - who doesn't - but fundamentally, she can take care of herself. Any woman who is strong enough to get through medical school and a fellowship with House is waaaay too strong for Wilson's tender ministrations.

Me, on the other hand? Giant seeping wound. Wilson? Call me!!!

KatalynJ

KatalynJ

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 6:47 PM

I'd like to see Cuddy/Foreman. They're both ambitious, both tend to make administration secondary to medicine and both kind of Machiavellian in their own ways. The age difference is not so great (Cuddy is 39? to Foreman's 33) but her being his boss's boss makes it not only naughty but Foreman would hide it because he wouldn't like to people to think that he got ahead because he was doing the Chief of Medicine.
And LE and OE would be so hot together.

I read a fanfic with Chase/Stacy which would be interesting. She could dominate him to his heart's content.

bibliosylph

bibliosylph

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 6:57 PM

Me, on the other hand? Giant seeping wound. Wilson? Call me!!!

Also, you are totally cute, and he'd appreciate that.

I would like to see a relationship on the show. I would like to think that out of all these people, some one of them is capable of carrying on a dating/courtship/sex/thingy. That we could get peeks into now and then, of course as a sort of C plot to the real stuff. But an ongoing one. It looked like they might do that with Foreman, but it was just a tiny plot device.

If it were one of the males, that would be good for me, because then I could see some shoulders and backs and stuff from time to time. Of men, on my favorite show.

I like the idea of Cameron with Wilson because it's so awful and screwed up. But kind of hot. I'd get some sick satisfaction out of watching that. And she'd sort of dump him and then she'd move on to House, or the other way around, he'd manipulate his way between them because he'd be jealous, of them both. And he's hot when he's jealous. And Cuddy would be jealous, it would be a delicious mess.

Since these writers are never going to turn this show into a romance, it would all just be awkwardly boiling under the surface, bubbling up now and then.

kiwi from hell

kiwi from hell

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

But how many people have been in the situation that Cameron is in? She totally likes someone who is so wrong for her. And he is attracted to her. Hugh has said so himself about his character.

It took me 2 of these sort of relationships before I realized I could never be happy with them before I finally got myself healthy. I was 36 years old before that happened! I relate to Cameron. I'm not saying it is healthy but I think something like this is very realistic and it can make for great TV because it is a damaged relationship. Let's face it, House is a wreck and really she is, too. I wish they would spend more time on giving us some background on her instead of having her sit there and be preachy (sorry, I don't think I was like that).

It's an interesting point, but I'm not quite sure if it really would make good television, or if that aspect is what people are hoping to see played out. I don't like House/Cameron, but really what I don't like is happy and long lasting House/Cameron. I'd actually quite enjoy seeing it played out from the "doomed" perspective and I honestly don't see it being in character any other way. House seems to (or seemed to) be going on a self-destruct course and I think a doomed and stupid relationship would've fitted nicely into that. I'm still unsure on House's attraction to her - I can't see him getting into a relationship just because of attraction, but it would fit in with the self-destruction.

I'm not all that sure if it would make for great TV. I've been there as well, and it's sort of "delusional...and crash". There aren't really a lot of ups to go with the downs. I don't think there's even that much passion. For a short time, it could make good TV but after a while I think it would become monotonous.

Hey! I think I just had a bit of serious discussion about House/Cameron. Go me.

Now my ship is not Foreman/Nurse Brenda as I said above, but House/Wilson. Having been in the situation that most shippers would envisage House and Wilson going into as well (hee, my life is interesting) I do actually think that could make good TV if we pretend there wouldn't be huge ratings drop offs just because it's same sex. It's...intense. And very, very different. I would love to watch it done well, but doing it well would be incredibly difficult. I don't know if I have that much faith in the writers and I do enjoy my subtext.

Asynca

Asynca

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

Now my ship is not Foreman/Nurse Brenda as I said above, but House/Wilson.

I agree - I think exploring the H/W ship (even from a 'doomed perspective') would make excellent television.

angelwoody

angelwoody

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:30 PM

I want to second the notion of a Foreman/Cuddy relationship. That would be fabulous. They are both such strong personalities. Plus they could explore all of the stickyness of a boss/subordinate relationship without hooking House up with anyone. That way none of the House/whomever shippers have to be upset!

msquare

msquare

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:32 PM

I would like to see a relationship on the show. I would like to think that out of all these people, some one of them is capable of carrying on a dating/courtship/sex/thingy.

Ever notice how many dramas have a group of beautiful people in their cast, but no one is married or in a long-lasting relationship? Does anyone out there really work at a place like this? If so, let me know where to send the resume.

I think that watching a solid, romantic, but complex marriage, with all its ups and downs, is much more interesting than all this, "will they, won't they" stuff.

Bearlydashing

Bearlydashing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:43 PM

Hey-how about a House/pharmacist ship? They already spend enough time together....

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words, 'sylph. They're actually coming at a really good time...

I'd like to see Cuddy/Foreman.

That totally works for me - actually more than anything else that I've seen mentioned so far. And before the whole not-stealing of the paper/stabbing with a dirty needle, I would totally have bought Cameron/Foreman. I think that they actually could have balanced one another really well - Foreman could help bring out more of Cameron's occasionally-appearing backbone and Cameron could help bring out Foreman's occasionally-appearing compassion. But the latter half of Season Two sort of ruined any possibility of that.

I know that some feel that it's too much art-imitating-life, but I've always thought that Chase harbored feelings for Cameron. He asked her out early in Season One and was very unceremoniously shot down, and I think the two of them have a good vibe. When she was exposed to HIV, I loved that he was offering to take her out for a drink and get her mind off things (which I suppose he did - just not with drinks...) So that would be ok with me too. And of course, House would find out. And tease them mercilessly. I'd enjoy that.

House/Wilson - I just can't get past the fact that neither character is gay. Neither has even been presented as remotely bisexual. A romatic relationship between them is just way too Serena Southerlyn for my taste. But I've made that argument so many times that even I'm sick of the sound of my own voice (er... my own fingers on the keyboard), so I'll let it drop.

Hey-how about a House/pharmacist ship? They already spend enough time together....

Hey... Whatever happened to the pharmacist anyway? Did he turn up at all in Season Two? Maybe he and ENB can hook up?

And Georgia the Syphilitic Poetess can totally hook up with Coma Guy. After he wakes up. Before that would, I suppose, be a little bit icky...

Edited by Lizzim, Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:53 PM.

Lilian

Lilian

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

Hey... Whatever happened to the pharmacist anyway? Did he turn up at all in Season Two?

No, much to my sorrow.

Maybe he and ENB can hook up?

Now that's a nemesis I could look forward to.

Edited by Lilian, Aug 21, 2006 @ 1:43 AM.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

I don't like House/Cameron, but really what I don't like is happy and long lasting House/Cameron. I'd actually quite enjoy seeing it played out from the "doomed" perspective and I honestly don't see it being in character any other way.

You, dear ma'am, took the words right out of my mouth, swallowed them whole, and barfed them back onto a keyboard.

I wouldn't terribly mind the House/Cameron thing if it's fated to be doomed. Have them hook up, have them realize how awful they are for each other, have them break up and move on. That's it. Get it over with and out of the way. For this show, however, to end up with House/Cameron together with the notion that they'll stay together forever would be horrendous for me. It would be like a stab wound to the heart, like watching this really amazing movie only to get to the end and have it totally suck. I cannot see how these two would be able to have a successful relationship. That sails right beyond the borders of ridiculous. It's so ridiculous, it's almost science fiction.

I also don't get how the fact that each season Cameron is even more bitter and miserable a good thing. Isn't that a clear indication of how awful he is for her? He's totally killing her. I don't see it as her 'growing a spine'. I see it as him making her as miserable as he's made himself.

I'm a no one/no one shipper, thank you. I don't care to get into the whole shipper mess. It ruins shows. I've seen shipper wars so bad that Vietnam seems like a day at Disney World. People just get crazy into it. However, I've rather accepted the fact that it has to happen in every single show, cause you know, I guess that needs to be there. I'm more into the idea of House/Cuddy, I guess, and I don't even know why. It just seems less screwed up than all the other options. When she made fun of his bum leg in the pilot and he just smiled, yeah, that was hot. House seems to think of her as the perfect woman. I guess this is one of the 'five minutes before the show ends' hook-ups, and I'm okay with that. I don't care to see any of the main character/main character relationships develop on screen.

I'd rather see characters hook up with people from outside the hospital. Whatever happened to Foreman's drug rep girlfriend? How on earth is Chase single? How on Earth is Cuddy single? Too bad Cynthia Nixon's character was batshit crazy, because I thought she and Hugh looked amazingly hot together. Oh well.

Bearlydashing

Bearlydashing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 8:08 PM

Coma guy should hook up with the sleepwalking sexaholic-what a dull evening that would be. No one would wake up for the festivities

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 8:16 PM

Coma guy should hook up with the sleepwalking sexaholic-what a dull evening that would be. No one would wake up for the festivities

Hah!
Speaking of linking up guest characters - the lesbian couple from Sleeping Dogs should spend some quality time with the Chen-Lupinos from Maternity (season one). Maybe some of the normal would rub off on them...

Too bad Cynthia Nixon's character was batshit crazy, because I thought she and Hugh looked amazingly hot together. Oh well.

I thought that House and Anica had awesome chemistry - seriously - as much or more than House/Cuddy (whom I don't really want to see together, but they have an effortless chemistry that just kills me...)

I also don't get how the fact that each season Cameron is even more bitter and miserable a good thing.

I don't think that would be a good thing, but I don't see that it's what they're doing. As far as growing a spine, it was on lovely display in Euphoria - with the "who died and made you boss?" response, and her sniping at Cuddy (even House looked proud of her retort there). One doesn't have to be miserable to have a spine - one just has to stand up and strike back instead of rolling over and taking whatever crap gets thrown at you. Cameron's ability to do this for herself is part of what I think prevents her from being a good partner for Wilson (or actually, what would make her a good partner for him, but would prevent him from pursuing her).

Whatever happened to Foreman's drug rep girlfriend?

I thought that he finally figured out that she was just into him because she thought he could get her closer to House (as a career boost - not because she had any romantic designs on House).

How on earth is Chase single? How on Earth is Cuddy single?

I can't explain Chase - in real life, he'd have eligible women lined up around the block. Twice. But most of my female friends are just like Cuddy - gorgeous, accomplished, intelligent... and single. Not from lack of trying and not from lack of interest, but somehow, they just can't find anyone. No idea why... So the Cuddy thing doesn't strike me as unrealistic...

Edited by Lizzim, Aug 20, 2006 @ 8:27 PM.

Asynca

Asynca

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 8:25 PM

House/Wilson - I just can't get past the fact that neither character is gay. Neither has even been presented as remotely bisexual.

You don't have to 'present' as gay/bisexual to be either. You can also be straight and fall for the very occasional person. Plenty of us have personal experience here - sexual identity and attraction isn't such a neat little box for everyone.

I would say there's been plenty of hints House takes the same liberal view of sexuality, and there've been some lines from Wilson that haven't been elaborated on that could form the basis for some relationship conflict.

Any relationship/friendship these two get into would be complicated. Who's to say they wouldn't sit in the cafeteria, checking out the nurses together and then end up sleeping in each other's bed at night?

Edited by Asynca, Aug 20, 2006 @ 9:21 PM.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 9:18 PM

Plenty of us have personal experience here

Yes, I know.

sexual identity and attraction isn't such a neat little box for everyone.

I didn’t say that it was– in fact, my remarks were really only about my perception of the believability of a romantic or sexual relationship between House and Wilson. I didn’t make any statements at all about my general perspective on human sexuality.

The very premise of television shows is that we meet characters at a certain point in time and what we see about them is what the writers and the actors choose to share with us about them. We get a Cliffs Notes version of who they would be if they existed in real life. For that reason, they make more obvious things that, in real life, might not be overt. When we meet House and Wilson, they’ve been friends for years. As presented currently, though, their relationship is a platonic friendship. House mocks the notion that their relationship is romantic or sexual; Wilson has explicitly denied it. Could the writers choose to change that? Absolutely. Does it happen in real life? Sure. But for me, I just can see them changing the House/Wilson friendship into a romantic or sexual relationship in a way that I would see as anything other than a stunt. I haven’t seen a foundation for it. I haven't even seen hints of such a foundation. I don’t see them building said foundation in a believable way with what they’ve shown us so far.

Others might see it differently – I respect that. I was only saying that, for me, it wouldn’t work. I would have a very hard time reconciling it with what I know of these characters so far. They could pull it off, maybe, but for right now, I just dont' see it. YMMV...

bibliosylph

bibliosylph

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 9:44 PM

The very premise of television shows is that we meet characters at a certain point in time and what we see about them is what the writers and the actors choose to share with us about them.

YES! The artist's vision is not my own. Art is something the artist experienced as he was creating it. That's what I enjoy about this quality show. I'm witnessing an experience, and having my own through it. But it's still not my creation; it's someone else's.

I still think it wouldn't hurt for there to just be more real sex, though. I'm hoping for that.

And Lizzim, it's true. You are fine, in more ways than one.

likeatuesday

likeatuesday

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Hmm, while this thread is interesting all on its own, is there any chance we could come up with a better title for it? Just a thought, as all the other major threads seem to have their own House-related title, perhaps we could initiate this one?

My suggestion:

Love Hurts, Sex Kills: The Shipper Thread

msquare

msquare

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

I started the thread and it's fine with me if others come up with a better name. I don't know the procedure for doing that, but have at it.

Patty McPhee

Patty McPhee

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 11:21 PM

My suggestion:

Love Hurts, Sex Kills: The Shipper Thread

Very nice...I like it