Heroes in the Media: Extra! Extra!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4784 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 9:19 PM

Media-y

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:01 PM

Review of Heroes.

Tim's take: Wildly ambitious, this will appeal to sci-fi fans and, NBC hopes, anyone who got hooked on "Lost." The pilot seems corny and contrived at first, then slowly reels you in and finishes with a twist.

Advantage: The paranormal genre is hot, and so is the cast. Different.

Disadvantage: Brutal time slot. You have to be open to the premise.

These Lost comparison are giving me a headache.... Apparently from now on any new sci-fi/fantasy-esque show will in some way be credited to Lost. Also did you know Lost was the first American show to feature asian actors? So Heroes has Lost to thank for that.

And I have to disagree on the cast being hot. Even Ali Larter looks fugly on this show.

Edited by jayseyfield, Aug 20, 2006 @ 5:05 PM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 1:32 AM

I think she looks great! And the Lost comparisons are almost valid because from the interviews on the 9th Wonder website, it seems like some of TPTB were involved with JJ Abrams and Lost. And they site Lost as an influence too.

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 9:53 AM

I have to disagree with this show having a "brutal time slot." It's on Monday nights, right? What else is on Mondays other than football? I was glad to hear about when it's on, because that means I'll actually be able to watch it.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 7:07 AM

24 will be on at the same time, won't it? Granted, it won't return until January, and until then it's Vanished, which might still live up to it's name. I'm not sure about the rest of the competition.

Shanti70

Shanti70

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 8:33 AM

The "Bachelor" will be on ABC and "Two and a Half Men" on CBS. The CW will have the story about the family on the run (I've already forgotten the title.)

I don't see any of these shows as competition. My only concern will be 24.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 9:18 AM

The CW will have the story about the family on the run (I've already forgotten the title.)

Runaway. TV producers in general have been very creative this year where show titles are concerned.

DioxinBlues

DioxinBlues

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 9:12 PM

Runaway. TV producers in general have been very creative this year where show titles are concerned. - grim squeaker

That's funny.

My oldest brother's in the entertainment business and CAA gave him copies of most of the upcoming Fall 2006 shows to watch so he's got a bit of a jump on the rest of us schmoes. Heroes is the one show he said was "really good", the "best" of what the drama's he'd seen (he also liked the sitcom, Knights of ...er, something - Prosperity(?); it used to be Let's Rob Mick Jaggar but they changed it). I was surprised since he's not that into American television and is not naturally drawn to 'genre' shows, which are my favorite (will the Emmy's ever learn to appreaciate the genius that is Battlestar Galactica ?), so, take that as you will.

I'm going to try to get a copy of the pilot from him over the weekend and will report back anything of interest.

Rychki

Rychki

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2006 @ 11:41 PM

E!'s Kristen has been raving on about the show within her columns, going so far to say it's the best show of the new season. I'm a fan of the show so far (but a tad bitter as it hasn't lived up to my expectations so far) but the way she's been going on about it, well I was was not surprised to learn just recently that of course she's scored a small guest role in it (I've always found her to be rather biased).

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:56 AM

There's something off about Kristin, maybe it's that photo of her on all her columns.

Anyway, "best show of the new season" seems to be stretching it.

If I read those media articles a way back right then the pilot should be available on iTunes TODAY.

ETA: Here's the actual article.

Beginning September 1st, iTunes will offer a free and exclusive download of "Heroes" - in its entirety - in addition to other bonus content from NBC, including series trailers and behind-the-scenes footage from the filming of "Heroes."

Edited by jayseyfield, Sep 1, 2006 @ 2:35 AM.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 10:16 AM

I have used iTunes like...never. So maybe I'm missing it because I can't seem to find the pilot on there.

JenT

JenT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

I have used iTunes like...never. So maybe I'm missing it because I can't seem to find the pilot on there.

I use iTunes a lot and I couldn't find it there either. I came to this thread because I thought maybe I had the date wrong in my head. It might show up later today.

jlwestbrook

jlwestbrook

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:52 PM

This article on the futon critic leads me to beleive that you have to obtain a special pin or something from AMC or Cinemark in order to access the show on I-Tunes. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly? Ill pay the $1.99 standard fee, I dont have to have it for free like the article says, I just wanna see the damn show.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

This article on the futon critic leads me to beleive that you have to obtain a special pin or something from AMC or Cinemark in order to access the show on I-Tunes. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly? Ill pay the $1.99 standard fee, I dont have to have it for free like the article says, I just wanna see the damn show.

You know it's pretty confusing. I wish they'd be more clear as to whether it's free to people who get these cards or free to anyone.

Anyway I'm guessing it's free to anyone but those cards are given out for those people who don't have an iTunes account and don't want to give away their credit card info to get one. It's a pretty big hassle so having a card is much simpler.

ETA: Well someone's a liar. Sept 1 went by and nothing. I don't even know why I'm anticipating it, I've already seen it....

Edited by jayseyfield, Sep 2, 2006 @ 1:09 AM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 10:49 PM

The basic premise of Heroes is frankly irresistible. Regular joes discover they've developed superpowers that just so happen to also be metaphors for their lives. Teenagers think they're indestructible, so the teenager really is indestructible. Artists see things that never were and paint visions of the future--literally. Ambitious young men aim high, only to discover they actually can fly.

Kristin at E!

I hadn't thought about it that way.

thejt

thejt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 4:37 PM

Sounding ever more like DP7...and that's a good thing.

Edited by thejt, Sep 8, 2006 @ 4:37 PM.

Unico24

Unico24

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 12:18 PM

What's DP7?

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 3:32 PM

Displaced Paranormals Seven. The seven of them receive powers after an event they called the White Event.

I think DP7 had much more interesting powers. They were really creative. Except Nikki's most of the Heroes' powers are run of the mill.

thejt

thejt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

I find the DP7 similarities really touch upon the 'wish fulfillment' portion of powers received if not so much the powers themselves (although Jeff, Dave and Scuzz had more run of the mill abilities). I hadn't considered the 'Heroes' getting powers similar to their stations/wishes. I think that's a cool way to look at it. In addition to Strippa-killya, I think the painter has cool (if not excessively time consuming) powers.

Topic: Will the press and buzz this show is getting in comicdom be enough to keep on air?

Raoul Mowatt

Raoul Mowatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 5:24 PM

Tim Kring, Greg Grunberg and Masi Oka from "Heroes" held a conference call with the press today. You can find the highlights on my blog at http://tvfilter.spac...#33;11349.entry. Some spoilers, natch.

Shanti70

Shanti70

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

Thanks for the article, Raoul Mowatt. Cool name by the way.

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 12:14 AM

Interesting article from Wizard Magazine's Fall Preview. Can Heroes really be NCB's answer to Lost?? I hope so.

chrryblssmninja

chrryblssmninja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 4:36 AM

Around Berkeley, someone sliced up and repasted one of the "Heroes" bus side ads to read as "Hoes."

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:37 AM

Around Berkeley, someone sliced up and repasted one of the "Heroes" bus side ads to read as "Hoes."

So it was an ad for gardening tools?

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:38 AM

So I guess that show would be NBC's answer to Sex and the City.

Edited by jayseyfield, Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:38 AM.

seffina

seffina

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 12:41 AM

Yahoo!'s buzz word had Heroes as their number one search for new Fall dramas.

jlwestbrook

jlwestbrook

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

The pilot is available today on Yahoo's TV section. I didnt watch it because there wasn't a full screen option and the quality was pretty shitty. Seriously Yahoo, if AOL can put Studio 60 on in decent quality full screen, why cant you?

Fredericks

Fredericks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 11:04 PM

I kept trying to watch the pilot, but the feed kept copping out after a couple of minutes and there's no way to fast-forward through to a section. Every time it crapped out I had to watch it again from the beginning. I have the first seven minutes of the show memorized. I think I'll wait until Monday, then.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2006 @ 7:32 PM

Ali Larter will be promoting Heroes at the NBC Experience Store in NYC on Monday at 9am. Check it out here. She'll be signing merchandise. Pretty cool that there'll already be Heroes merchandise in stock...

Shanti70

Shanti70

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2006 @ 5:35 PM

People magazine gives Heroes four stars. The critic loved it. There were a couple of spoilers for the first three episodes in the review.