A Haunting

• Please log in to reply

268 replies to this topic

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

Has anyone else been watching these? This series seems to have been inspired from the success of A Haunting in Georgia and A Haunting in Connecticut...they're not quite as good, 'cause its all packed in one hour. But they're still pretty good, though I'm just a lil' bit annoyed that every episode seems to have the people talk about how their faith in God is re-affirmed and there's a definite religious slant to the show.

The one I saw last night was pretty great...this happy newlywed All-American blonde couple with a cute baby move into their dream home in a small Kansas town. They soon realize their house is haunted. The Dad is freaked, but the Mom is excited because she wants to make "Sallie", the ghost, feel welcome. Things keep coming to a boil as the ghost begins to scratch the Dad, while the Mom seems to just want to continuing thinking the ghost is lovely, sweet child. Then they find out, through psyhics, that Sallie is an interacial child born in the 19th century as the product of her white doctor father and her black servant mother. She dies at 7 due to pnemonia, and they think the person who's doing the scratching is her mother.

Mom keeps wanting to stay though, while the Dad is getting increasingly violent thoughts about hurting the Mom. When he tels her this, the mother goes, "Oh, I'll start looking at ads tommorrow." The hell? Anyways, a little while later, he's upstairs in their bedroom, and suddenly he gets up with a crazy look in his eyes. He goes to the top of the stairs, looking very evilly at the mother. Suddenly, he gets pushed back and forth on the stairs. The breaks the spell, apparently, and he tells the wife they must go NOW, and so they haul ass ala Amityville Horror.

Wild Roses

Wild Roses

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

I was never certain if we had a topic on this show or not, which I why I never started one. This is one of my addictions on the Discovery channel (the others being I shouldn't Be Alive and Mythbusters).

I have seen all the Haunting episodes Discovery has done so far (there are 6 or so) and let me reassure you, there is not a religious slant to this show. Most of them are Christians, but quite a few of them believed in the occult/or are non-Christian before the Haunting happened in their family and did not become Christians after being stalked by a ghost.

By far and away, the episode that has creeped me out the most was the one with Edward, a diobolic ghost and quite the terror. Discovery shows the repeats quite often, so I won't spoil it for you.

My annoyance with the show is that the people being interviewed always say 'we have cassettes and videos and pictures of evil ghost monster' but the show never uses the real stuff--it is all reenactment where that is concerned.

There is supposed to be a season 2 coming soon of this. I'm not sure when it will be premiering though.

When it was first on, they paired it with I shouldn't Be Alive, which made for interesting compare/contrast.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 4:19 PM

My annoyance with the show is that the people being interviewed always say 'we have cassettes and videos and pictures of evil ghost monster' but the show never uses the real stuff--it is all reenactment where that is concerned.

I actually remember when Scratching Guy was featured on Unsolved Mystery back in the 90's. They actually had a video where scratches actually appeared on him, though they were much fainter than the ones that were depicted in the show. That would have been cool if they had actually shown it.

I like though, that this show follows along the generally tendency to cast their re-enactors with people that are much more attractive. Typical Hollywood...lol. (Or really, Toronto or Vancouver...I'm almost positive this is filmed in Canada.)

Edward was the evil ghost in the bar, right? That was the BEST episode. The most genuinely creepy one of all. It's about a couple who buy a bar to turn into a Western-themed bar back in the late 70's. The first sign something is wrong is when the pregnant wife is almost pushed into a deep fryer...*shudders* Meanwhile, the owner is completely oblivious the entire thing and refuses to believe it(even when his pregnant wife is pushed down the stairs and must give birth at 5 and a half months), and the drifter they hired to take care of the bar gets all the weird things happening to them.

Betwixt

Betwixt

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

I watched an episode last night that had to do with the haunting of a single mother and her 2 daughters, by a dead Vietnam veteran, who was the estranged brother of the woman's ex-boyfriend. Anybody see it? I scared myself silly watching this story. And I did notice how they cast the reenactors to be more glamorous than the actual persons. I've never seen this show before, but this series is just what I was hoping would be the next generation of shows about paranormal happenings.

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:18 AM

I just watched "Where Demons Dwell" and I have to say it was enlightening. I had no idea that priests actually kept flasks of Holy Water (labeled in gold-metallic letters no less) on hand for these types of situations. Catholics - always prepared! (Well, unless you need a condom, then you're SOL).

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 1:55 PM

It would be kind of hard to do a show about hauntings, ghosts, and forces for good and evil without having any type of religion brought into it.
Personally, I find this show fascinating and somewhat hilarious at the same time. Sometimes the acting and editing are pretty cheesy. I'm not totally convinced that all the stories are true, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

Oh, word. WHY would they not want to show them? It would add some authenticity to the show.

this show follows along the generally tendency to cast their re-enactors with people that are much more attractive.

Never was this more evident than last night during "Where Demons Dwell." The actors looked about 15 years younger than the actual people. I thought last night's episode was confusing and a bit boring. I didn't understand the relationship between the main characters (was the boy their son? Or just the man's son? Their brother?) And what happened to the guy's mother that wouldn't leave the rental house? They never explained that. And the well in the back of the property that was supposedly a portal was really interesting, but they didn't explain much about it. Not the strongest episode, IMO. That kid just looked too sweet and cute to really scare me.

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 9:27 PM

I wasn't watching too closely, so I thought I missed the explanation of whose kid it was, but I guess not. I also didn't really get which house was haunted - the one the guy's mother was in, I guess, since she left in terror after refusing to leave several times. But if her house was haunted, why was the kid haunted in the other house? I guess the demon followed him around before he possessed him.

I have to admit, I got bored after the millionth scene of the kid writhing and grunting, fighting off or being battered or possessed by the devil. Even the portal to hell couldn't keep my attention. Really, you'd a portal to hell might keep you interested, but no, it was straight back to the kid. I changed the channel, so I didn't see the end.

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 2:16 AM

Seriously, though - what happened to the guy's mother? And how did slapping the guy who apparently looked straight into the eyes of the devil himself suddenly snap him back into reality (especially after the demon/little kid threw the crucifix off his neck with no problems)? I feel like these people watched "The Exorcist" one too many times. Shouldn't someone like, I don't know, seal off that well? It seems like if we can't carry water on freaking airplanes someone would at least be interested in keeping demons from entering Connecticut.

This episode was pure comedy. I still really want one of those flasks of Holy Water. Whenever someone has a problem, I can whip it out and be like, "Don't fear ... the power of Christ [liquified] is here!"

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 3, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

I want to like the show, but i just don't like the way it's presented. It feels exactly like Forensic Files but about hauntings. It's overly serious and depressing.

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 8:09 AM

I caught the "Demon Child" episode yesterday, and honestly, it was one of the scariest yet. The scene where the mother sees/makes contact with "Man" was pretty nasty. Other than that, it was pretty nice to know that if you have a demon in your house, you pretty much just need to burn some sage and wave around a feather to get rid of it. I wonder if the previous families tried that method before going balls out with the exorcisms or Warren interventions?

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

"Demon Child" was pretty scary as shown, but I suspect that it wasn't so much a case of demon possession as a really ridiculously bratty kid and a highly suggestible mom. That would explain why Man went away with just waving some sage around and chanting some words.

canaanite

canaanite

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 1:49 PM

The one last night was so weak. There was really nothing terrifying that happened that couldn't be easily explained. I totally cracked up when they said everything was moving around on the porch because the priest forgot to bless the porch along with the rest of the house (stupid priest!!), and what happened to the other people who have lived in that house since the 60s anyway?

I really think a lot of these people are susceptible at the moment these "hauntings" happen, whether because of the financial strain of moving into a new home, the emotional strain of a new family, or the absolute horror of being a 12-year-old. I do believe there are some ghostly stories that aren't so easily explained, but the majority are a bunch of hooey. Regardless, this show cracks my shit up.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 8, 2006 @ 4:12 PM

They are pretty obviously susceptible, in my opinion. I think the scariest thing about the show, and it's not even that scary, is just the way the story is told. It has that Unsolved Mysteries way of using choppy slow motion and the deep-voiced narrator to set an unsettling mood.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 10, 2006 @ 8:04 AM

I disagree, I just watched the episode House of the Dead (the most recent) and I thought it was the scariest episode of the series thus far. I have to give the producers credit, they know how to take a mildly scary story and make it really creepy. They are actually using a few different directors, so the scary factor will vary of course.

I liked how they used a 1st person POV cam a few times during the episode. It made me feel like I was there and looking for someone (or something) around me. The whole scene with the bed and the facet was really creepy for me. And the images of the spirits were done in just the right way.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 11:39 AM

The one last night was so weak. There was really nothing terrifying that happened that couldn't be easily explained. I totally cracked up when they said everything was moving around on the porch because the priest forgot to bless the porch along with the rest of the house (stupid priest!!),

When I watch these shows I like to imagine what actually happened versus what they are acting out. For instance, when the tricycle and huge amount of toys were flying around on the unblessed porch, I would envision that it was a windy night that pushed the tricycle (and only the tricycle) a few feet. In fact, when the real people spoke about the incident, they only mentioned the tricycle and not some humongous assortment of toys flying around on their own. Also, with the haunted bar, the wife saw the sink fill up with blood (a common occurrence on these shows). Hasn't anyone ever had rusty pipes? I know I had one sink in a former apartment that had some seriously nasty brown/red stuff back up through the drain and fill the sink. I only ran screaming to the maintenance man! As far as the constant "being pushed down the stairs" theme, I cry clutziness! It's all still wildly entertaining and sometimes unnerving, I've just noticed that often the narrations by the real people don't at all reach the same height of scariness/freakiness as the acted out scenes.

louveciennes

louveciennes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

I love this show. I don't make a point of watching it, but if I'm idly flipping channels and catch it, I'll usually watch it. It's weird because I'm a skeptic and don't buy 99% of the claims made, and the re-enactments often manage to be unintentionally hilarious, yet the show has some deeply unsettling moments.

One thing about the show that really irritates me though is how they'll often show things that they couldn't possibly know for sure actually happened. Like in one episode, they showed the shape of a face pushing out of a wall; yet the person in the room had their back to it, and at no other time did anyone claim to have seen something like that. So obviously they just threw it in for creep-factor. Don't claim to be non-fiction, then make s*** up!

Did anyone ever see the episode where the single mother had a daughter with some kind of mental handicap, and the daughter was always looking at nothing and giggling? The mother said she thought the daughter was seeing angels or something nice. Then she met this guy and they got serious really fast and he moved in with her like a month later, and all of a sudden bad stuff started happening and they thought the daughter was posssessed and yada yada yada. I always had this feeling that it was some weird mind-f*** the boyfriend was pulling on the family, for whatever reason.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

It's made it to my DVR list. Although, adding to what someone said a couple of posts ago, people exaggerate stories themselves and then the producers exaggerate them further. But I don't think the show is really about accuracy. It's about retelling creepy ghost stories with a thin veil of reality. The effect works well, IMO. Not Unsolved Mysteries good, but good nonetheless.

I think next weeks is the last of the season. Which is perfect for me. Ghost Hunters starts a couple of weeks after that, and I can't handle 2 ridiculous paranormal reality shows at the same time.

outtabreath

outtabreath

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 1:11 PM

Oh thank goodness someone started a thread about this show. I watch it On Demand and, let me tell ya, I have to watch it in the morning, as I'm getting ready for work or I'd be a gibbering idiot. I know it's all renactments, but it's darn scary - especially for a big chicken like me.

On the days I watch this AND Most Haunted, I'm pretty much a goner for the rest of the day. My boyfriend lectures me, but I can't stop myself.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

I liked the one about the 1984 haunting in that island-place, but geez...they didn't even TRY to make the people look like they're from the 80's. The two girls stuck out like two big anachronistic thumbs- I had sisters who grew up in the 80's. In 1984, girls WEREN'T flat-ironing their hair or wearing low-rise jeans. The tank tops they were wearing looked all wrong too, as did the pajamas. They didn't even try to half-ass it by putting the girls in ruffled miniskirts, side ponytails, and off-the shoulder sweaters. They straight-up dressed the girls in a fashion that really didn't exist until about 2001. Bothered the hell out of me, since they're usually better at making the people look like they're from whatever time period they're supposed to be in. If I ignore the fact that the girls look like time travelers from the future, it was a good episode and genuinley creepy. And it's the first ep where the people are actually as attractive as the people who are portraying them are.

The haunted bar, where one of the owners dies, scared.the.hell.out.of.me. And they did incredibly good casting with one of the portrayers-if you ignore the brown eyes(the owner had blue), the guy really does look like he could have been one of the owners thirty years ago.

IcyLuna

IcyLuna

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2006 @ 5:16 PM

louveciennes, I saw the episode you're talking about and I had the exact same thought. However, I'm probably a bit on the paranoid/overprotective side so my opinion might not be worth as much. First of all, I don't trust a guy who's willing to jump into a family that quickly. According to the story ,if I'm remembering correctly, he moved in to become a full time father after only knowing the mother a few weeks. I'm sorry but that just doesn't seem normal to me. I don't know how you let somebody move in that you don't know that well. It just seems like a risk to her family. Right away, I'm thinking that means there's somethin up with the situation. It's the old "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is."

Two, supposedly the energy was so bad in the house that he noticed it immidately and knew that the daughter was communicating with something bad. He never gave a reason why other than he "played around the occult when he was younger". Wasn't he the one who insisted on using the Oiji board?

The whole thing just seemed so weird.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

I watch it On Demand

Can you tell me the path to see it OnDemand? Sometimes it's really hard to find shows if you don't already know where to look, their categories are so wierd and arbitrary.

Edited by LogCabinPat, Sep 20, 2006 @ 2:17 PM.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2006 @ 3:38 PM

I've been watching this show since it began, and I've been a bit dissappointed. Nothing has come close to "A Haunting in Connecticut." That was truely scary.

RedBetty

RedBetty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2006 @ 4:54 PM

Is this the show with the promos that have The Monkee's I'm A Believer as the background music?

I have seen the commercials, and thought that - while the show might be interesting - are The Monkees really what you want as a soundtrack? Not especially spooky, unless you've seen recent pictures of Micky Dolenz, I suppose.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2006 @ 5:49 PM

Is this the show with the promos that have The Monkee's I'm A Believer as the background music?

I have seen the commercials, and thought that - while the show might be interesting - are The Monkees really what you want as a soundtrack? Not especially spooky, unless you've seen recent pictures of Micky Dolenz, I suppose.

Haven't heard that....

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

I love these shows in a scare the shit out of myself sort of way. I still think the original Connecticut one is the scariest but two that were particularly creepy this time around were the one with evil spirit in that big bar and the one with the family in that house in Japan. While the actual things that happened in that one weren't that unexplainable or that frequent or dramatic, the way they filmed that one and the atmosphere of the house really got to me. That one had my heart racing for sure.

I never know when it's on, so I'll have to check out the ON Demand options...though certainly only during the day...

Rachel Pringle

Rachel Pringle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:24 AM

I watched the A Haunting Marathon on Sunday evening. Most of the episodes were ones I saw before, like the one where the ghost named Edward predicts an eminent death, and then a bar manager or landlord dies.

Without a doubt, one of the scariest episodes was the one where the boy speaks to an imaginary friend called "Man". This episode was one of the most boring and lacking in credibility, because the only person interviewed was the mom, who was shown in sillouhette. However, the recreated moment when Man was revealed to the mom actually made me scream. The whole demonic story seemed totally fake.

The one story I couldn't understand was the one where the family was Hispanic and the mom was being terroized the most because there were portals in her house. Yet, the psychic claimed the mom was causing the dark spirits to appear, and the mom needed "counselling". Can anyone explain it to me? The concepts went over my head.

Edited by Rachel Pringle, Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:26 AM.

canaanite

canaanite

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 8:40 AM

For some reason whenever the story involves a family it's the mom who takes the brunt of the haunting and who is the one that needs to take care of everyone. Is this because women are more open to the paranormal or more gullible?

The episode that really had me hooked was the one with the house that was part of a large property that included the housekeeper's house that the featured family moved into. The past lives of the ghosts supposedly haunting it really got to me. I almost felt like crying when they couldn't free the spirit of the girl with the botched abortion. That whole story turned me into a straight up sucker.

Edited by canaanite, Sep 25, 2006 @ 8:40 AM.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:07 AM

I don't know... it's often the mom who believes the haunting before the father (who sometimes never do). The kids usually are the ones who get possessed and such.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 11:12 AM

For some reason whenever the story involves a family it's the mom who takes the brunt of the haunting and who is the one that needs to take care of everyone. Is this because women are more open to the paranormal or more gullible?

I think it's the former. It's children that are the most vulnerable, then adolescent girls(why almost all acitivity centers around teen girls in it), and women. You don't really see that much in terms of male psychics.

That's what made the "scratching" ghost and the "the evil country bar demon" interesting, because it's one of the few episodes where men get the brunt of the activity.

thewalkindude

thewalkindude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 4:59 AM

No, that's "Most Haunted" on the Travel Channel