The Rachael Ray Show

• Please log in to reply

2542 replies to this topic

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Will Regis be cooking with her ?

I know when ever I saw him on his old show during cooking segments that he usually was awkward and screwed around with the recipes. I never got the feeling that he knows his way around a kitchen.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 4:32 AM

Whoever initiates the applause on this show needs to be knocked out. The frequency of applause on this show during segments is totally ANNOYING!!!!

A friend and his wife went to the taping of her show a few weeks ago. He said they put all the attractive people in the section in front of her and the "not so attractive" on the side (he's definitely NOT attractive). He said it was really obvious. At one point the people who get the crowd going asked who ever wanted to dance (with her I guess?) to raise their hand and they would pick people and my friend purposely started waving his hands and jumping up and down so they couldn't avoid him! He got picked but she ignored him while he was up there. We all thought it was pretty funny. I always wondered why the people in the front rows of shows are usually attractive.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

I rarely watch Rachel anymore. Her schtick is so tiresome.
Cutesy talking to the food.
Squealing "deLIcious!"
Saying "I KNOW"!
Her stubby hands/fingers.
I'd much rather see Regis than Greta Monahan and Buddy Valestro.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

I watch this show occassionally and the few times lately I keep noticing that we hear all kinds of cheering, hollering and whoo-hooing when a guest is introduced, but as the camera pans the audience, I don't actually see anyone doing all of that. The crowd looks to be generally smiling and clapping, but none of the wild cheering. Do you think the show has people off-camera making all the noise? Or could it be a recording that they're playing?

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I've noticed that on many -- if not most -- shows, and have wondered the same thing. Either everyone who's whooping and hollering just happens to be out of camera range, or audio gets sweetened in post-production. I vote for the latter. If we're noticing the disconnect, you'd think the folks producing these shows would realize it too and stop the audience shots.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 3:21 AM

If we're noticing the disconnect, you'd think the folks producing these shows would realize it too and stop the audience shots.

Yeah, really!

caseyanne

caseyanne

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I noticed this on another show that was live after hurricane Sandy. There were only about 20 people in the audience. The noise sounded as if a superbowl was going on.

They are all pre-recorded hoots and hollars.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I read that she is really rude to guest audience when cameras are off her.

She seems rude to guests and audience when the cameras are on, too! It seems to me that Rachael has a very offhand, sarcastic manner of expressing herself regardless of who she's talking to or the context of the discussion. I guess she thinks it's witty, or playful, but it's not. She's casually offensive, and clueless about it.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

I appeared as an "audience guest" on her show once, and everything negative I'd ever heard about her and the show is true. She does not even acknowledge you before the cameras actually roll. You are seated in the front row right in front of her and even though she's standing alone on stage with ample time before the cameras start rolling, she doesn't even lock eyes with you much less say hello. In fact, her vibes are actually cold as if she is deliberately avoiding you (I was trying to lock eyes with her but could not).

She and her star guests brag incessantly about how fabulous the green room food is but the audience guests barely get a skimpy, soggy, unripe fruit plate if that. Talk about clueless, I don't think she even has one clue how it feels having been an audience guest to hear over and over again how fabulous (and plentiful) the food is that is given to the guest stars off stage. How freaking stingy can you GET? This woman made $25 million last year, you'd think a few more pieces of food would break her budget or something!

As far as the cheering goes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's piped in later although I thought she might have a few "audience plants" for that purpose. In her former set she had a "gallery" that was up high in which people could sit, and I always wondered if the cheering section was put there. When I filmed the show there was no cheering section there and I don't remember now if I heard any cheering on the show when it aired.

Also, when I was an "audience guest" with a few others, it's only because one of us begged and pushed that the staff finally gave in and allowed us to sit in the audience after our segment to watch the rest of the show. It was only because there was no one in the gallery that we were allowed up there. You would think that audience guests would at least be allowed to sit in the audience to watch the rest of the filming after they appear on the show.

I too wonder how this show is still on the air. It is so repetitive now that she is having the same guests over and over again 5 and 6 times discussing the same old subjects, and barely a show goes by without a freaking makeover. Hey I love makeovers, but this is overkill! Her schtick is getting stale and old by now, and I don't like her new set.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I'm not surprised. Rachael comes off as phony. Anyone who has seen the live Thanksgiving shows on FN can see it more clearly. And her incessant talking up her happy marriage, happy husband, blah, blah is probably phony too.

Never a fan of this show but did watch her on FN before she got too big for her britches. She is a diva now and I wouldn't waste my time in her audience. If I had a choice and lived in the NYC area it would be The Chew cast for me. At least they seem like fun and they do feed their audience.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

It is so repetitive now that she is having the same guests over and over again 5 and 6 times discussing the same old subjects, and barely a show goes by without a freaking makeover.

Yes to all of this, plus everything she cooks looks the same. Pile of meat, various chopped stuff, topped with way too much cheese (and I love cheese) in portions that are far too large, all of it just slopped on a plate. She seems to have only a few basic ingredients in her repertoire but a bottomless supply of ways to cook burgers. I'm all for making food preparation seem accessible, but that doesn't mean the ingredients can't be varied or the presentation finessed. The Chew does this beautifully -- and they also sneak in the occasional (key word: occasional) makeover via Clinton Kelly. As a cook and a host, Rachael's got nothing left to offer.

Edited by designing1, Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

Watched a rerun today of RR with Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas as a guest - she's a spokeswoman now for Wet & Wild cosmetics. Wow, did Fergie come across as incredibly shallow and self-absorbed and kinda silly. She couldn't really sit still, she was practically writhing in her seat, playing with her hair and mugging for the camera - she reminded me of a Betty Boop or Marilyn Monroe character. She blabbered on and on about her makeup and her clothes, while they looked a photos of Fergie from the red carpet. It was funny cuz it's usually Rachael that rudely dominates the conversation, but Rachael couldn't shut Fergie up. I swear Rachael rolled her eyes and sighed in frustration a couple of times! But in between Rachael's frustration, she was doing her dutiful ass-kissing, ooohing and aahhing over every photo. The audience was applauding wildly at everything Fergie said - clearly being prompted to do so, cuz talking about makeup and shoes is not that remarkable. Then they did audience-member makeovers, all the while Fergie was Booping it up for the camera. At the end, Fergie and Rachael were in one of those snapshot photo booths, calling out various poses to do - Fergie making "I'm so hot" faces while Rachael made funny faces. Finally Rachael called out "strangle" and put her hands around Fergie's neck; Fergie seemed pissed after that!

Let me mention that I've never had anything against Fergie and quite like the Black Eyed Peas. I just didn't expect her to across so shallow!

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

I've heard more than once about Rachel refusing to make eye contact with the audience unless the camera is on her.

I wish TMZ or someone would bust her phoney ass,

Edited by azure4, Jan 2, 2013 @ 10:58 PM.

sumimasen

sumimasen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 6:53 PM

Does Rachael Ray ever change her clothes? She's been wearing the same black leggings every day now for months. And those fringed boots must go. Her wardrobe is as monotonous as her show.

caboodle

caboodle

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

Pile of meat, various chopped stuff, topped with way too much cheese (and I love cheese) in portions that are far too large, all of it just slopped on a plate. She seems to have only a few basic ingredients in her repertoire but a bottomless supply of ways to cook burgers.

I can't stop laughing--it's so true. Today was a new low--the pile of meat was a chicken breast, topped with a gluey looking sauce, slopped on a slab of toast, all of it slopped on a plate. What next--beans on toast?

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

I don't watch this show , but read that Rachel / show are being sued by a overweight teen. I kind of remember the girl she was on a few yrs ago I think. She claims the show humiliated her. No specified money amount was mentioned.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

I don't watch this show , but read that Rachel / show are being sued by a overweight teen. I kind of remember the girl she was on a few yrs ago I think. She claims the show humiliated her. No specified money amount was mentioned.

I remember that girl and saw some of shows with her on. That whole situation really did not work out the way they had hoped! I felt sorry for the girl, and her family seemed pretty dysfunctional. I don't know if the RR Show can be blamed though.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

I saw every segment with Christina. I believe she was in earnest about participating but in my opinion the show didn't give her enough time to lose 70 pounds so they amped up the exercise to the point where it was too much for a 260 lb. sedentary girl barely 5' tall. She resisted it but I'm sure they poured on the guilt and threats about her agreement to participate. Plus, they were the experts and she was trying to trust them to know better than her what to do. Then she ended up twisting her ankle and breaking a few bones in her foot on a hike up a hill as a result of the trainer's pushing, and this was AFTER she had already protested against going on that hike on camera.

They also made it look like she and her family were to blame for her lack of success when she only lost a pound a week. Some people don't lose more than that no matter what they do (I am one of them), but of course they blamed her for not trying hard enough instead. I cringed when I saw the episode where Rachael shamed her in front of a live audience and on national TV. I was so disgusted even at the time that I don't blame her for suing them. I was humilated for her.

I think I remember that Christina had ambitions of becoming a lawyer. Perhaps she is in law school now and this is why she is bringing a case against them now instead of right after she appeared on the show. Although as far as I read, the show claims that to date no case has been filed. Perhaps she is trying to get them to settle out of court before doing that.

Edited by muffaletta, Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:02 PM.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

I have not seen this show in forever but I was at the Dr's and they had it on in the waiting room. She seems crazy! Crazier than I remember. The whole show was about Buffalo and Ranch sauce?????
Her studio looks much smaller than I remember. Idk if anyone watches this show but, wow what a crazy show, at least the few mins I saw.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 5:12 AM

It was "Wild Turkey Week" and the rest of the week did feature interesting different takes on turkey (someone did a turkey roll of deboned turkey breast with stuffing that I might try), I don't usually watch but that got my attention. Then I saw the previews that seemed to suggest the final day would be about about things you can put ranch mix in... and I cancelled that recording.

This show can be interesting when Rach is talking with someone like Richard Blais or Ming Tsai who still manage to come off more like a chef than a Food Network personality. Other times, I feel like I'm watching the new Emeril Live! with all the playing to the audience anytime she puts anything fatty/zesty into her cooking. Look! Cheese! Applaud for the cheese!

Edited by Al Funcoot, Nov 18, 2013 @ 5:22 AM.

sudilly

sudilly

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

Ranchgiving???  Really Rachael who wants to eat Thanksgiving dinner with everything made with ranch dressing.  Gross.

crgirl412

crgirl412

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 1:13 PM

I watched the show yesterday with Booby Flay and Richard Blais and boy, it appeared that Bobby doesn't care too much for Richard.  He barely acknowledged him and kept his distance.  Maybe b/c Bobby was a judge on TC during Richard's season (I don't recall but it's very possible) and maybe in spirit of not wanting a conflict of interest in the future if he judges him again.  Or on the snark side, he's jealous of another male chef making headlines and on the same "circuit."

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 8:23 PM

Saw a little of the Blais/Flay/Pepin episode somewhere. Funny I didn't notice any problem. Thought I saw them both chatting to RR as they cut away from the episode - while Pepin greeted the audience. Wouldn't think it'd be any problem. Seems like they all kind of work together in TV land, e.g. judge once, possibly a contestant the next. I don't know ???

Agree, Al Funcoot, they've obviously got the guy whipping the audience into shape and frequently using an applause sign or signal of some kind. (Blech!)

Someone mentioned her general dismissiveness to the audience on one thread. Taking a break and flipping channels the other day, I heard someone ask her about having gastric issues with the milk/cream in a vodka cream sauce. Instead of providing alternatives, she just quickly said, "Oh, you can take it out" and moved on. Personally I thought she could have given the woman a couple of possible alternatives (IDK - almond milk or even white beans) to replace the creamy taste or texture. I'm sure the audience member (and all of us for that matter) can easily make a red sauce with a little vodka in it. JMHO