The Rachael Ray Show

• Please log in to reply

2542 replies to this topic

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 9:35 AM

Spread the ysga* here.

Saw my first real commericial for it this weekend. She was screaming at me that she wants to know how to change a tire. This and other inane topics apparently are her raison d'etre. Helpful? I guess so. Riveting television? Not so much.

Maybe I'll be surprised when the show premiers on Sept. 18.

*Yummo snarky goodness action

Butterstick

Butterstick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 9:40 AM

I didn't see the changing tire promo. I keep seeing the one where she likes to shop and hates posing for pictures.

Can't wait til the 18th, this is going to be one heck of a trainwreck.

zippergirl

zippergirl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 10:53 AM

I saw the one where Rachael proudly declares that she is going to ask the interesting questions that we all want to know, like what is in a guest's refrigerator. Um, I'm sorry but that is not interesting at all. Who gives a fuck?

Here is what is in my fridge: Yogurt, water, Diet Coke, plums, lettuce (aka "salad in a sack, girl's best friend"), eggs, baking soda, sliced ham.

Okay, so how is this information going to sustain even 30 seconds on a televised talk show? Does that information sound interesting to you? At least on Cribs, you actually have the visuals. Just hearing people verbalize it?

It's not like anyone is going to have a dead body in their fridge.

jalapeno

jalapeno

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

Me too - can't wait and will schedule the dvr so I can have a good laugh each night when I come home.

For pure comedy, check out her talk show website: RayRay Show. My favorite is the caption under one pic: "My husband John and I have a groovy time cruising around on our Vespa. (I'm the driver; he just hangs on for the ride.)" You think?

Hint: Click on the "What's Your Story" button for show topics and let the amusement begin.

Speaking of the "sweetie"...my $$$ says he makes an appearance on the very first show. What else does he have to do these days after quitting his job? Oh yeah - fetch RayRay's wine at appearances.

Edited by jalapeno, Aug 14, 2006 @ 11:01 AM.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

This woman is so unbelievably awkward on camera. How does she have three ... four ... whatever shows? Clearly, she has sold her soul to the devil in exchange for her success.

A Mandolin

A Mandolin

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 5:17 PM

I just really hope that the people who actually like Rachael are able to talk about the show here without people trying to make us feel stupid for liking her (you know who you are),because that happens in the other thread.

Edited by A Mandolin, Aug 15, 2006 @ 5:18 PM.

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 5:58 PM

The subtitle of this thread should be "Bigmouth Strikes Again".

I hate the promo I've been seeing where some moron says, "She's like your best friend!" Yeah, if your best friend is a fucking motormouth who wears terrible clothing and has a mouth big enough to eat several babies, then yeah, I can see how RR is like your best friend.

I said this in the RR thread, but I can't wait for this show to start because The Soup really needs a replacement for Tony Danza's show.

LadyJaneGrey

LadyJaneGrey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 6:32 PM

I just really hope that the people who actually like Rachael are able to talk about the show here without people trying to make us feel stupid for liking her (you know who you are),because that happens in the other thread.

Me too but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm looking forward to the show. I like Rachael and the premise reminds me of that morning show that was on FX years ago called "Breakfast Time", before it was moved to Fox and it's soul ripped out by the evil Rupert Murdoch. I miss that show.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

I'm going to give it a chance, and I figure this: it will either be entertaining to watch, or I'll watch just to be entertained. Either way, it's a win.

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 8:05 PM

Here is what is in my fridge: Yogurt, water, Diet Coke, plums, lettuce (aka "salad in a sack, girl's best friend"), eggs, baking soda, sliced ham.

Oooh, zippergirl, that's fascinating! Tomorrow I'm going to catalog the contents of my medicine cabinet for the delight of all in the thread. <hee!>

You know, I've seen her other show (what is it .. meals in 30 minutes, or something?) and liked her in that. Quick meals that look tasty and were fast and easy to make? I'm there. She seemed perky and friendly and harmless enough.

However... my lukewarm 'like' has turned to the dark side because of her promos. The line that finally made me snap: "I'm not a chef, I'm a cook." Well...la-di-freaking-dah! "I'm down down-to-earth and homey! I'm just RayRay from the Block! Love me...LOVE! ME!"

Shut up, Rachel. May your show be cancelled by Christmas.

PS Thanks for starting the thread, Midge!

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 8:33 PM

I just really hope that the people who actually like Rachael are able to talk about the show here without people trying to make us feel stupid for liking her

A Mandolin and LadyJane, no one can make you feel stupid without your permission, try as s/he might. Just understand that this is Television WITHOUT Pity, and the unwritten rule is "snark uber alles" (and the written rule is "spare the snark, spoil the network," I believe).

At the same time, you stick to your guns, and defend what and who you like with all the ammunition in your opinion pistols. You can expect a lot of disagreement when you voice your views, but don't you dare stop voicing them...

...and I say this as someone who pretty much can't stand Rachael*, but defends to the death the rights of those who like her.

*As for the spelling of her name-- it may be "Rachel" on her birth certificate, but "Rachael" has been a name in my family for six generations (and maybe more), and I will not tolerate anyone being snotty, calling the "a" an "affectation." It might well be for Ms. Ray, but it's a completely legitimate spelling, and anyone who sez otherwise can either kiss my ass or taste my knuckles.

A Mandolin

A Mandolin

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 1:57 AM

Thank you, but I am well aware of the name of the site. If you notice I said "trying" to make us feel stupid for liking her. I have no problem with snarking on Rachael, my problem is snarking on the people here who like her. Thanks again.

Carife

Carife

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

Oooh, zippergirl, that's fascinating! Tomorrow I'm going to catalog the contents of my medicine cabinet for the delight of all in the thread. <hee!>

Oh my Gravy!!! Stay tuned for today's riveting topic is 'the innards of my friend Gloria Estefan's purse!"

From your keyboard to God's eyes, Quiddler!
And hopefully, once the dominos of talk show failure are set into motion, it won't be long til the whole Ray-Cusimano empire tumbles into oblivion. Can it be long before the "What Ever Happened to Raychel Ray?' special airs on E!?

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

From your keyboard to God's eyes, Quiddler!
And hopefully, once the dominos of talk show failure are set into motion, it won't be long til the whole Ray-Cusimano empire tumbles into oblivion. Can it be long before the "What Ever Happened to Raychel Ray?' special airs on E!?

See I'm actually rooting for the opposite. Long live the Ray Ray Talk so that she no longer has time to do anything cooking related. For some reason the idea of her on a talk show doesn't bother me nearly as much as her other shows. Possibly because I'll be able to regulate her talk show to the bin with the other daytime gems (Tyra et. al) I never watch whereas I find her cooking shows downright insulting. I'm not an idiot so why is she talking to me like that? Don't get me wrong - I get why people like her. In fact I love the idea of her - someone who is not classically trained (in cooking or talk) but is bright and bubbly and fun and has a different view of the world. I just don't think the execution is there. But we shall see.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

In fact I love the idea of her - someone who is not classically trained (in cooking or talk) but is bright and bubbly and fun and has a different view of the world. I just don't think the execution is there.

I loved the early episodes of 30-Minute Meals (I found that she gave interesting tips to make daily cooking easier), but something seriously wrong happened somewhere along the way. She became so screechy and hyperactive. I guess I find her annoying nowadays, but more in a "change the channel" than "fun to mock" way. It's a shame.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 4:02 PM

I don't like Rachael Ray and never have but I don't know why people think this show is going to be cancelled. I mean, if the Tyra Banks Show can live on for another season, I think just about any show can. Unless it's fronted by Tony Danza.

Butterstick

Butterstick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 5:58 PM

I don't like Rachael Ray and never have but I don't know why people think this show is going to be cancelled. I mean, if the Tyra Banks Show can live on for another season, I think just about any show can. Unless it's fronted by Tony Danza.

I hope it does. She doesn't have interview skills at all (Inside Dish anyone), her topics are silly and did I mention she doesn't have interview skills at all?

And just because Okrahoma backs it, doesn't mean it's going to be a hit either. She did one with her best friend Gayle and some other woman and those shows failed miserably.

sandia99

sandia99

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

I assume that for RayRay's talk show to succeed, she's going to have to bring in new viewers. That's really what will be interesting - hearing the response to her from someone who has never seen her cooking shows.

I am still not clear how much of the show will involve guests. I agree that I've never seen her display an ability to shut up while someone else is talking so that could pose a problem.

I really want her mother to be featured on the show. The "Mommy & Me" episode of 30 Minute Meals was so very very snarktastic.

Carife

Carife

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 10:54 PM

I really want her mother to be featured on the show. The "Mommy & Me" episode of 30 Minute Meals was so very very snarktastic.

OMG, with all the snarking I've done, and I've done quite a lot, this never even entered my mind! Yes yes yes! Mahm Mom Mommie must be a guest!! I can see it now. She'll be elbowing her Mom just like she did on 3Omm and saying Mommie every 3 minutes!
And I'd bet my 'gravy' that the Elfin Sweetie will either 'front' the house band, or will eventually wind up on the couch with her. Her own personal Regis.

And just because Okrahoma backs it, doesn't mean it's going to be a hit either. She did one with her best friend Gayle and some other woman and those shows failed miserably.

Yes that's right! Gayle's talk show dove head first into the toilet. The other women was Iyanyla Van Sant, I think. And let's face it, how great is Dr Phil really doing?? I live in a big city and he used to be on right after Oprah, around dinner time, and he's now relegated to the "UHF" type channels and he's on in the middle of the night. Certainly not prime viewing time.

if the Tyra Banks Show can live on for another season, I think just about any show can. Unless it's fronted by Tony Danza.

While I don't like Tyra's show, I don't despise Tyra. She doesn't irritate me the way Rachel does. Rachel is taking Tony Danza's time slot in a lot of markets, so maybe this will be the 'kiss of death' for her. I really hope she's around long enough for Joel McHale to really harpoon her on Talk Soup! And you know he will!

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 3:40 AM

Carife, don't mean to be critical of you or nothin', but shouldn't that be "The Stoup"?

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 5:58 AM

Actually, Iyanla Van Sant's talk show wasn't produced by Oprah. I think they had a falling-out because she struck out on her own.

Butterstick

Butterstick

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 7:26 AM

Carife, don't mean to be critical of you or nothin', but shouldn't that be "The Stoup"?

Good one!

And I'd bet my 'gravy' that the Elfin Sweetie will either 'front' the house band, or will eventually wind up on the couch with her. Her own personal Regis.

I think she has said he's going to do the legal advice. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him with the band.

I am still not clear how much of the show will involve guests. I agree that I've never seen her display an ability to shut up while someone else is talking so that could pose a problem.

They are going to play foosball. She also mentions in the article that they would cook with her. Earlier, she said she wouldn't do much cooking on her show.

http://people.aol.co...1227236,00.html

honeyb

honeyb

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 8:07 AM

Actually, Iyanla Van Sant's talk show wasn't produced by Oprah. I think they had a falling-out because she struck out on her own.

That's right - Iyanla's show was produced by Barbara Walters.

As for how Dr. Phil's show is going (someone questioned that in a post above), I don't know his ratings, but judging by how he keeps getting renewed, I'd say he's doing OK.

That said, I went on the RR website for her new show and the list of topics they plan to cover is plain out dreadful...things that I cannot imagine anyone wanting to watch.

Carife

Carife

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

Good one! And I stand corrected.

That's right - Iyanla's show was produced by Barbara Walters.

I stand corrected again. However, since Iyanyala was prominently featured on Oprah, I'll still put her in the Oprah Failure column.
As far as Dr Phil, yes he does keep getting renewed, however I live in a major market, one of the 5 biggest cities in the US, and he's on at 2AM, on the UHF channels. So, I wouldn't mind Rachel following in his footsteps!
So, I really wish we would hear something about the guests on this show. I'll be brave and be the first one to put out there that Morgan Freeman will def. NOT be a guest. Any other suggestions??
And do her Mahmmy, the Elf, and any of Okra's 'family' count as guests?? I'm sure Gayle King and Nate Berkus are quasi-celebrities in their own right, but I should think it wouldn't count if they went on Rachel's show. After all, I'm sure Mama Oprah laid down the law.

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 1:18 PM

I think much like Danza, she's going to get B-list celebs, with the occasional A lister thrown in. I mean, she couldn't even get A listers for Inside Dish. And her thing of "You have to be able to tell stories" on her show. The only reason people will be on her show is to plug their new movie/tv show/reality show/book/album, not to hang out with her.

I know one of the topics was "Do you look like Rachael Ray?" WHAT? Who cares if you look like her? And if you do AND dress like her? Then the show you need to be applying for is "What Not to Wear" or "How Do I Look?" not RR's show.

LadyJaneGrey

LadyJaneGrey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 1:47 PM

I'm sure Morgan Freeman will be pleased to hear he's not an A-lister.

The only reason people will be on her show is to plug their new movie/tv show/reality show/book/album, not to hang out with her.

Isn't that why most movie stars/tv stars/authors/singers go on a talk show? To plug their movie/tv show/book/album?

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:08 PM

Morgan Freeman and perhaps Joe Perry from Aerosmith were the two biggest names. And Morgan Freeman looked as though he were merely tolerating her and her moronic questions and just wanted to get a plug in for his restaurant. The same for Joe Perry's hot sauce.

I remember the one with Aisha Tyler. Aisha was so calm and poised and the crazy howler monkey was just embarrassing herself.

Isn't that why most movie stars/tv stars/authors/singers go on a talk show? To plug their movie/tv show/book/album?

Yes. That's what talk shows have turned into. But other talk show hosts don't say they want them to play foosball or have a story or cook with them. The only reason a big star will go on her show will be because their publicist instructed them to.

LadyJaneGrey

LadyJaneGrey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:32 PM

Yes. That's what talk shows have turned into. But other talk show hosts don't say they want them to play foosball or have a story or cook with them. The only reason a big star will go on her show will be because their publicist instructed them to.

Thanks for clearing that up.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:32 PM

Anyone see the first commercial for the show, where she yells "Come down, we have snacks!"

Because, you know, there really isn't any place to get snacks in New York City.

jalapeno

jalapeno

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 5:09 PM

I haven't seen any commercials for the new show yet...but I'm looking!

Morgan Freeman and perhaps Joe Perry from Aerosmith were the two biggest names. And Morgan Freeman looked as though he were merely tolerating her and her moronic questions and just wanted to get a plug in for his restaurant. The same for Joe Perry's hot sauce.

Exactly. Poor Morgan. Same for Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick - he was plugging his pizza restaurant in Chicago. I felt so bad for him as she was a blithering idiot the entire interview saying things like "too cool for school". She even said in the intro that Cheap Trick was known for their hits, including "Survivor"...hello, RayRay's research/editing team need to let her know (although she claimed to be such a fan) the hit was "Surrender." Idiots. Her Inside Dish series was such an embarrassment. I'm surprised Oprah's talent team didn't run like the devil as soon as they saw the shows. Just like Inside Dish, I'm soooo watching this show for the snark.

That said, I went on the RR website for her new show and the list of topics they plan to cover is plain out dreadful...

Isn't that list the most horrid list of ideas you could ever imagine? A few of my favorites: "Hey you...what's on your mind?" and "You start driving, you start bickering?"...WTF!!!!

Based on the topics, sure doesn't sound like a celebrity-based show at all. Seems more like a show based on strange viewers. Although they only came up with a true explanation of the show recently so who knows what we'll end up with for the premiere. They're probably still grasping for a true concept.

Someone who lives near NYC needs to get tickets to the show and let us all know the scoop.