Metalocalypse

• Please log in to reply

513 replies to this topic

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

Metalocalypse premiered on Adult Swim last night (also earlier on Friday on the Fix), a show created by Brendon Small (Home Movies) and Tommy Blacha. Show summary from the Adult Swim Upfront:

Dethklok is a Norwegian heavy metal band. They are incredibly talented and insanely popular. But Nathan Explosion, William “Murderface,” Skwisgaar Swigelf, Toki Wartooth and Pickles are also stupid … dangerously stupid. No matter what they do, be it playing sold-out festival gigs or going to the grocery store, Dethklok leaves a path of destruction and murder behind.

I really liked the episode overall and thought it was hilarious. I listened to the coffee jingle again this morning (Dethklok songs can be heard here.)

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:59 PM

I really liked the episode overall and thought it was hilarious.

I liked it as well. So much so that I wish it was an entire half-hour episode as opposed to the almost 15 minute AS standard. I am so glad it's vastly different than Home Movies, which I hate with a burning passion.

What is this place?
It's a... food library.

A drummer named Pickles. Hahaha.

Doodilee doo ding-dong doodilee doodilee doo.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 6:00 AM

Doodilee doo ding-dong doodilee doodilee doo.

Heh.

I liked it as well, it was different and I usually like different. Does anyone know whose voice(s) Mark Hamill provided?

Epithet

Epithet

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 6:23 AM

I thought this was great - the entire Food Library / Supermarket sequence was hilarious. "Hey, Chief, this stuff good for making soup? [gestures towards cart full of liquor] "Ummm, no." "That's a yes!"

I agree with Wacoshade, I wish it was a half hour instead of a quarter.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 10:07 AM

Does anyone know whose voice(s) Mark Hamill provided?

He does the voices for two of the evil politicians, according to this article.

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 11:43 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun! I think Mark Hamill is a great casting choice for this show; after all, he was the voice of the Joker for "Batman: the Animated Series". I have got to make time to see this show.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

Cutting & Pasting...

It's a good show, but I'm guessing metal and/or Home Movies fans might get more out of it. I'm pretty sure Nathan Explosion is modelled after Danzing, but I'm unclear on the rest. If I squint, William Murderface kinda looks like Jack Black with bad teeth and poofy hair, and he seems to be the Cartman of the group (fat whiner).

I didn't find a page on the network site, but I located Dethklok's MySpace page, as well as William and Skwisgaar Skwigelf's site, the latter including the infamous "Pain Waver."

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 1:17 PM

He does the voices for two of the evil politicians, according to this article.

Thanks!

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 4:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Nathan Explosion is modelled after Danzing, but I'm unclear on the rest. If I squint, William Murderface kinda looks like Jack Black with bad teeth and poofy hair

Heh. True on both counts. The Danzig reference is indeed crazy blatant. I like the whole send-up by Small and Blacha, partial spoof plus partial metalhead fanwank, making a band with references to an earlier heydey of the thrash/death metal bands of the late 80s and early 90s, ala the Danzig resemblance, the Scandanavian speed metal guitarists, the over the top cartoonish (literally here I guess) gore, the pseudo-gothic settings...

I meant to comment on your post from the other thread when I read it earlier, but I forgot to do so when I jumped on this thread. Murderface's look is kind of like some of the metal musicians from the 70s to early 80s, so I wonder if he is a shout-out to that at all. Think Uriah Heep or Blue Oyster Cult. In fact, he looks like a pudgier version of Buck Darma from BOC.

RodeoMonkey

RodeoMonkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 9, 2006 @ 1:04 AM

Metalocalypse is the funniest thing CN's had on since early Robot Chicken! I couldn't breathe through much of the premiere!

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2006 @ 1:21 AM

Loved the backgrounds, all the album cover homages were neat.

I really hated Murderface's voice though.

Wiseblood

Wiseblood

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2006 @ 11:37 AM

Murderface's voice is much better in the second episode.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2006 @ 11:47 AM

Without getting most of the metalhead jokes: Metalocalypse appears to be in the same BSC vein as Sealab 2021. Whether or not it lives up to that, well...

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 1:56 PM

Murderface's voice is much better in the second episode.

It definitely was. I love his self-deprecating attitude.

The "Mermaider" lyrics started to sound like "verbatim, verbatim" to me. Toki singing underwater and all the psychedelic imagery reminded me of Yellow Submarine.

[Rant] It was not easy to DVR program this series. First, my cable provider had it listed under it's old title, Death Clock Metalocalypse. Second, the episode started a few minutes before 11:45pm so my DVR missed the very beginning of the episode. At least I saw it on the Fix last Friday, but still. I got it covered now because I made the start time 11:40pm. Stupid Adult Swim. I swear they did the same early start time last week, too. [/rant]

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2006 @ 1:33 AM

Murderface is a little bitch. Okay...he's a bitch that can play bass with his wang and suffer no ill effects...but he's still a bitch.

What'll happen first...the secret cabal makes their big move, or Toki and Skwisgaar throw down? Or how about captions for the musical numbers, so I can hear what Nathan is screaming about?

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2006 @ 8:49 AM

Oh, God...last night's ep was just too much! Happy Birthday, Murderface; you little bastard. He sort-of looks like Jack Black...or is it just me?

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

I don't ge the Jakc Black connection, and I still hate Murderface's voice.

Actually I've soured on this show really fast.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 6:21 AM

Or how about captions for the musical numbers, so I can hear what Nathan is screaming about?

I second that. I have no idea why there is no closed captioning for this show. At least I understood the Duncan Hills Coffee jingle.

I didn't like this episode as much as the last two, but I loved when Pickles said: "Hey fatso, we got you your favorite thing: disappointment!"

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Aug 22, 2006 @ 6:21 AM.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 8:45 AM

"Apparently Dethklok has summoned a troll."
"That's impossible. There's no such thing as a troll."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"

Edited by Wacoshade, Aug 28, 2006 @ 8:48 AM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 9:15 AM

Alright! We finally got closed captioning. The opening theme's repeated first lyric is, "Do anything for metal." The 4 sidecar bike still cracks me up.

The troll song was really good. But my favorite part of the episode was when Murderface first started talking on the Dethphone: "What'd he say? What'd you say? You didn't say that."

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 12:09 PM

Toki is my favorite character. He seems to have a child-like innocence compared to the other four. Either that or he's mildly retarded. I haven't really decided which. Plus I liked "Underwater Friends"

Edited by Nflux Forever, Aug 29, 2006 @ 1:54 PM.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

I'm liking this show more each time I watch it - the closed captions help immensely. Now I'm mad I didn't bother watching the DethParents episode - unless that hasn't aired? It sounds like it would be very funny.

I just saw on the Adult Swim schedule that there are 20 episodes, which takes us through to December- yes!

"No, I'm not talking to you....So we play the song and then go home?" LMAO

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 12:43 AM

I just watched Dethkomedy on the Fix amd I hated it. The weakest epsiode by far. It simply wasn't funny. When the only chuckle inducing moment in the whole episode was Nathan Explosion performing a ventriloquist act with a bodybag, you've got problems.

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 6:44 AM

I just watched Dethkomedy on the Fix amd I hated it. The weakest epsiode by far.

That was the first episode I ever saw. I was not impressed.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 12:17 PM

The other episode are a cut above at this point, and the stills for next week's "Dethfam" look nice.

Is it me, or is Nathan a bit heavy? I'm saying that based on seeing him in the tub during "Dethtroll." Not as bad as Murderface's tatted belly, but Mr. Explosion doesn't seem to miss many meals.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 4:52 PM

Who were the other plants in the comedy community from the last episode? I was able to make out Lorne Michaels, Jimmy Fallon, Larry the Cable Guy and Shawn & Marlon Wayans. I couldn't figure out those other two though.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 4:52 PM

Pickles has a bit of a gut too. Are abs not metal?

Oh man, the body bag thing cracked me up. What kind of messed up audience wouldn't love that?

Wiseblood

Wiseblood

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 5:08 PM

The lower right one was Margaret Cho.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2006 @ 2:10 AM

Two questions:

1. Why is the name "Pickles" funny? Is that a metal in-joke?

2. When the band was showing off Murderface's sweet new ride (car JFK died in, driver's seat snatched from Ford's Theater), Toki gave him a "Macaroni murder lady"...but I can't make out what else he said.

ETA for Nflux: My theory on Toki is that he has the potential to be the world's fastest guitar player (currently held by Swigar) and a major league asshole, but he's medicated to be docile and sweet.

Edited by Lantern7, Sep 6, 2006 @ 2:11 AM.

Wiseblood

Wiseblood

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

"And I made you this macaroni murder lady, there used to be red hots for the blood but I ates them"

Edited by Wiseblood, Sep 6, 2006 @ 9:44 AM.