The 2006 Tubey Awards Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

565 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 11:46 AM

Oh the humanity!
Oh the injustice!
Oh the pathos!
Oh the delicious anguish of others!
Delight in the undisguised wounded fanboy pride!

Discuss the Day 1 results here!

Untitled

Untitled

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 11:47 AM

Henry Gale is a better villain than Aaron Echolls.... ?

Mmmmmkay!

Edited by Untitled, Aug 7, 2006 @ 11:48 AM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

No...Metallicar? Que?

jjjodi

jjjodi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:01 PM

Apollo's towel didn't even get an honorable mention? Oh frak! (Speaking of which, maybe next year we can have a creative cussing award. There's all the frakking on BSG, and Deadwood will be eligible.)

Atony

Atony

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:03 PM

I love Veronica Mars, but best credit sequence? It's credits make it seem some typical teen show when it is anything but.

7th Heaven getting renewed again should also be both the first and second runner up in the wtf category. I still can't get over that.

scair

scair

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:06 PM

Wait, Aaron Echolls is a better villain than Number Six? Or the Dalek? Or Sloane? Okay, then.

Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed that you guys not only nominated Bears as the greatest villain but that it won and won by a healthy margin.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

Apollo's towel didn't even get an honorable mention?

Maybe it didn't make top 3 precisely because it didn't perform to its full extent, i.e., falling to the ground.

Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

Plus it lacked universal appeal.

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:12 PM

Hey, only the first day of results and already two of my nominations were first runners-up in their categories -- Most Indispensable Cable Channel and Worst Crimes Against Fashion. I haven't nominated a winner yet, but I feel so proud. ("If for any reason, Comedy Central cannot fulfill its duties . . .")

TPS24

TPS24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:21 PM

I'm encouraged that bears won best villain. It shows that people are finally getting past the white-washed media portrayal of bears, and seeing them for the godless killing machines they are. It's great to see that this site is full of it-getters.

Edited by TPS24, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:24 PM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:24 PM

And the Veronica Mars lovefest begins anew. SIGH! (Aaron Echolls as a top 3 best villain? Geez, Hamlin was somewhat more creepier when supporting his wife on Dancing With the Stars than on VM.)

Well, at least "Analrapist" was top vote getter. And Franklin lives again! WHOO!

Edited by mtlchickie, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:25 PM.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:25 PM

I can't believe after all the griping last year about VM winning Best Credits it did it again.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:26 PM

Props to all the winners so far. They weren't all my choices, but honestly, it was hard to make a choice in many of the categories - many of the entries were that good. I wonder if Anderson Cooper will find out about his win.

Edited by cutecouple, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:28 PM.

Glark

Glark

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:28 PM

The 4th Annual Tubey Awards
or
The 2nd Annual Veronica Mars Lovefest?

Time will tell.

Lotamoxie

Lotamoxie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

No...Metallicar? Que?

I know, I'm stunned. Well, not entirely. Supernatural isn't as popular at TWoP as some other shows. But not even in the top three? And that out-of-nowhere crash during the season finale didn't make the top three WTF moments. Although Michael shooting Libby and Ana Lucia definitely deserved a slot.

Henry Gale is a better villain than Aaron Echolls.... ?

That I can see. Henry Gale is kinda freaky. You can never tell when he's lying or telling the truth. Aaron Echolls is an OTT villain. No subtlety.

Edited by Lotamoxie, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:44 PM.

anna elizabeth

anna elizabeth

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

Bears as best villain? Stephen would be so proud.
Also, when is Glarkware going to start stocking Anarapist t-shirts/business cards to commemorate this high honor?

Karoline

Karoline

Fanatic

Where's Metallicar? *iz sad*

Glad Veronica Mars and The Office kinda rocked this first batch.

Aaron Echolls as one of the best villians? O-kay.

Babsonite

Babsonite

Fanatic

Veronica Mars isn't dominating quite as much as it did last year. I'm just surprised that the argyle didn't win for worst crimes against fashion.

rockcandymtn

rockcandymtn

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:31 PM

Even the production team isn't that crazy about the Veronica Mars credits. I've heard that they are changing them for the new season. I really, really, hope they do.

Acid Penguins

Acid Penguins

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

No...Metallicar?

I was surprised by this too, I thought there would be a landslide of votes for her. Though, I've gotta give props to my man Franklin.

Also, I thought the Salvation opener would have made the top three as well (though I am biased - a huge fan of Carry on my Wayward Son)

Edited by Acid Penguins, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:40 PM.

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:38 PM

Veronica Mars Lovefest

I'd participate in a Veronica Mars lovefest. Especially if I got Veronica all to myself.

Thanks, I'm here all week. Try the chicken!

fuzzy_ears

fuzzy_ears

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:40 PM

Most of my nominations appeared in winners or at least runners-up, so I'm very happy. Although if Lost wins at any catogory that isn't "Suckiest Show/Worst Plot/I Hate Life When I Watch This" I may change my mind.

Loved that bears won for best villian. Was hoping Bullet would get the final results for best performance by an inanimate object, but it's all good.

ETA: The VM Lovefest, Part Deux is unsurprising. I'm hoping the fact that it wasn't quite as good as last year will help some other shows edge their way in.

Edited by fuzzy_ears, Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:43 PM.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 12:41 PM

And the Veronica Mars lovefest begins anew. SIGH!

I'm sighing right along with you! VM's sweeping Tubeys victory annoyed me last year, and that's back when I thought the show was genuinely good. I honestly felt this season was a mess, not just in contrast to its first season but as compared to most other shows I watch. It definitely got my vote for "Worst Improved"! Oh, well...at least a couple of the awards VM 'won' or placed as runner-up in so far aren't exactly an honor, like most ludicrous storyline (which I felt was a well deserved 'win'!) Normally I'm so influenced by the opinions of my fellow TWoPers that the Tubeys inspire me to check out new shows or even give ones I've already seen another chance, but the (IMO) relentless over-hyping of VM makes me not even want to keep tuning in.

On a brighter note, I'm so happy that my beloved The Office won 'Best Finale' and placed as runner-up in a couple of good categories.

And the best part of the Tubeys is discovering new (new to ME, anyway) 'award' winning shows. Guess I've got to check out Anderson Cooper!

Edited by marlaas, Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:19 PM.

YuppieLawyer

YuppieLawyer

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:11 PM

I voted for those evil, evil bears! Truthiness prevails!

I think it's hilarious that VM won for best credit sequence . . . again. I love the song, but visually, it's pretty ordinary. I don't even remember who I voted for. I was disappointed The 4400 didn't make the final list because I think those are really good.

I wish Six Feet Under had at least made the top 3 for best finale. It was sooooo good, and I never even watched that show until its last season.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

As a rabid VM fan, I have to say for the record, that I voted for Six Feet Under in Best Credits (or maybe it was BSG, I can't remember, but it wasn't VM!) So there. But I am happy VM placed in Best One-Liner - it's a perfectly deserving award I think.

I have to say I'm shocked, shocked I say, that T-Bag didn't at least place in Best Villian though. It is hard to beat Bears, true, but surely he's scarier than this Henry Gale person and Aaron Echolls combined? He's got the kiddie lust, and the southern drawl, and the little man complex, and the one hand!!

My only real saddness is Six Feet Under didn't even place in Best Finale. I still think it's probably the best Series Finale I've ever seen. Farewell show. YuppieLawyer, yep, 6FU really went out in an amazing way. The last few minutes were just so perfect for that show.

Edited by Maka, Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:14 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

I love Veronica Mars, but best credit sequence? It's credits make it seem some typical teen show when it is anything but.

And it won last year, too, right? I don't understand it because I would describe the credit sequence as run-of-the-mill, which isn't really what you're looking for in a "best such-and-such" award. Is it because people like the song?

They weren't all my choices, but honestly, it was hard to make a choice in many of the categories - many of the entries were that good.

Yes, I had a very difficult time deciding in many of the categories.

Edited by smrou, Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:20 PM.

tashiann11

tashiann11

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:18 PM

On a brighter note, I'm so happy that my beloved The Office at least placed as runner-up in a few good categories, including Best Finale

The Office getting Best Finale over BSG and Arrested Development, two of my favorite shows both of which had incredible finales, really makes me wish I could watch it. But it is far too painful / close to home for me. I get squeamish just thinking about it and that's just with the US version. The British version makes me run screaming from the room.

Go Bears!

Edited by tashiann11, Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:21 PM.

para

para

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:19 PM

I think this year VM is going to sweep all the categories.

Not only the good ones, but also the bad ones. Which doesn't make it quite the VM Lovefest it was last year (when VM dominated only the good categories), but rather... "we feel very strongly about Veronica Mars (one way or another)"-fest.

I am very disappointed that VM lost most ludicrous plotline. The coma baby plot was really the worst thing ever.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

think this year VM is going to sweep all the categories

I'll feel better about how overrated and excessively hyped I think it is if at least pulls out a 'win' for Worst Improved ;)

The Office getting Best Finale over BSG and Arrested Development, two of my favorite shows both of which had incredible finales, really makes me wish I could watch it. But it is far too painful / close to home for me.

Even as a ridiuclously huge Office fan, I can definitely understand this concern. In fact, there are some days when work is particularly hellish that the show *does* hit too painfully close to home. However, other times I love that it does such a great job of capturing the soul-crushing office environment without (IMO) being as grim as the British version. It's one of those shows that has me saying "Oh, that is SO true" and "I totally know someone exactly like that!" while still being an entertaining, witty escape. And, yeah, did I mention that I'm a ridiculously big fan of the show?!

Edited by marlaas, Aug 7, 2006 @ 1:26 PM.