But First! Live Feed Discussion (SPOILERS Abound)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

65418 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

Bob Sambob went through the thread and indexed where each season starts and begins. He was also kind enough to share it with the thread. You can find the indexing post here

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I think they have to make their own arrangements to watch the show or if they want to see the feeds.

With regards to Candice watching episodes, wasn't there only that one show where they highlighted the racism? I don't recall any other episodes where they showed the comments, other than GM's comments to her when she was voted out. I think in order to get the full effect, Candice needs to watch Youtube and pull up some feeds, don't you think? I could be wrong though.

There was the racism episode during Aaryn's first HOH (where Amanda confronted her), the bedflip episode, and then the episode where Jessie won POV and Amanda said "Shaniqua." 

I almost hope Candice doesn't watch some of those videos.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

The time has come to close the thread, since this conversation could take place in the media thread. Thanks to all for a great season here in the Live Feeds thread (notice I didn't say a great season of the show). In spite of the show bringing up a lot of hot-button issues and personalities, the discussion in here was 99.5% civil and respectful, and my job was really pretty easy and entertaining to boot thanks to all of you.

Thanks again, and see you in 2014!

SK03

SK03

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

That's too bad.  I still have 30 days of paid flashback live feeds to maybe relive.  If I can find the moment if it exists were the Aaryn/Candice/Elissa feud began, I can wrap up the season.  I've already rewatched the context of the bedflip (on quad) and the "Go Make Some Rice" comment.  I'm mostly satisified.  Thanks to everyone.

PluckyInKY

PluckyInKY

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

Before the thread get shut down, I would just like to say to everyone that it's been an absolute pleasure commiserating with you guys this summer. I have so very much enjoyed debating and cutting up with all youse. My only regret is that I didn't follow this thread in seasons past. If I don't see you on another board, take care, and have as good a winter as can be had. Take care! 

Plucky

Clonie

Clonie

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I understand why many people think this is the worst season ever, but I agree with the poster who said it wasn't as bad as Season 8. In my opinion, this season was so much better for several reasons. First, we had the satisfaction of seeing some of the worst contestants (though admittedly, not all) get some comeuppance in the form of (in Aaryn's case) her own words thrown in her unsuspecting face, and (in Aaryn's and Amanda's cases) boos from the audience. I loved that, and usually we don't get to see any of the castmates who are truly despicable experience that. I truly did not expect Julie to challenge Aaryn when she said she was taken out of context, and I appreciate that she at least did that. Second, we had the presence of Elissa and Candice. Elissa was my favorite for so many reasons, including her quirkiness and the way she took charge during her HoH reign. I loved that Candice in no way fit any of the stereotypes that the house tried to impose on her. The racism stands on its own as ugly and awful regardless of who Candice and Howard were as people, but I appreciated that Candice (and Howard) were such the antithesis of what they were made out to be. It really illustrated how ridiculous the racist houseguests were and how their views just didn't make any sense and were nothing more than groupthink.

I appreciate this board because if it weren't for yall, I wouldn't know about the mysoginy. Yes, it seems like on Big Brother it's okay to degrade women. It's okay to talk about raping them, assaulting them; it's fine to criticize their bodies when you yourself are obese, and just generally objectify and marginalize them when you are in the Big Brother house, and no one will really ever call you on it either in media interviews later. This also bothered me about Lane in his season; some of the things he talked about doing to his conquests were so awful and I never heard anyone take him to task for that, and it seems like this does happen every season with total impunity. Women on BB just seem to get treated like second class citizens. This disappoints me every year. But at least the sexism gets exposed on these boards, and for some reason that makes me feel they are not completely getting away with it.

Oh, and I lurk on these boards every year. It never fails; I always despise the winner, I am always disappointed in the way things get translated in the editing process, and I usually end the season swearing I won't watch it next time because it's so damn rigged (haven't said it yet this year though). Yet I always come back! This show is my weakness - can't wait til next season! Thanks to all of you for enduring these insufferable douches for our benefit. It makes the show worth watching!

Edited by Clonie, Sep 21, 2013 @ 12:05 AM.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

TwoP Howard, thanks for giving us a little free rein here and allowing us to get a lot of crap off our chests.  Normally I would have stopped watching because I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior (especially CBS's), but reading this board was therapeutic and I simply had to stay abreast of all the developments. Unfortunately, what with the higher ratings this season, BB will be even more gruesome in 2014.  Grodner's probably already contacted men who have been on To Catch a Predator to see about their availability in 2014.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 1:05 AM

I still put Season 9 below this one and I think Season 8 was as bad as this one, if not worse. 

At the end of the day, though, all three were awful seasons. But then Season 10 was great, so I still have a lot of hope for Season 16! Can't wait to talk about it with y'all next year!

Edited by Brian C, Sep 21, 2013 @ 2:14 AM.

goombalina

goombalina

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

I was disgusted by much that happened this season but with season 8 I was disgusted AND at times stressed at the level of violence and potential violence I felt watching it.   I actually felt like Dick might hurt Jen or others and of course he did burn Jen with a cigarette which still blows my mind that he got away with that.  So in that regard I have to say this season was not as bad.  The fight between Amanda and GM, even when they squared off on one another, never made me feel like someone might actually get hurt.   That fight was actually entertaining. 

luckylondon

luckylondon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 2:08 AM

I also want to say thanks to you all for the thought provoking observations in your posts from the live feeds. This forum is what makes me love Big Brother so much and I love that I have a place to come and read some intellectual discussion, strategy dissection, social psychology, and personal opinions and paradigms about what is truly going on in the house each year. I have watched every season of the show (except BB 5) and I have been reading this forum for 7 years-- since All Stars. I look forward to the posts from many of you each summer as I recognize many of you and look forward to your perspectives. This is the first year I have had the time to become more active and post myself. I am so happy to have a place to come and talk about Big Brother and indulge with all youse. I may even be more addicted to this thread than than the feeds, as this forum is far more interesting and thought-provoking at times. Thank you all.

I always feel a little sad at the end of the BB season and feel I will miss reading funny and thoughtful discussion from you folks. This year, I am a bit relieved it is over as these HGs wore me out. Damn. I will, however, still miss hearing daily discourse, opinions, perspectives, and rants from all of you. Hopefully, we will hear more growth and reflection from HGs post-season in the media thread. I would also love to hear about Rachel's party.

So, farewell for now-- see you next summer. I hope to see some of you in another TWOP forum.

Thanks again to TWOP Howard for moderating this forum for us.

Edited by luckylondon, Sep 21, 2013 @ 2:11 AM.

SK03

SK03

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 3:03 AM

Last chance random, kitchen sink stuff.

Spencer claimed that stipends are negotiable - implying Elissa received a higher stipend / appearance fee.  If he asked for more, BB would have simply chosen the next of 10 Spencer types on their list.  (Not sure, but this could be one reason that the F3 didn't want Elissa to win AFP.)

Aayrn made several interesting claims throughout the season.  She claimed to be distantly related to Elvis Presley through her father.  (Aaryn's big hair phase reminded me instantly of Priscilla Presley.)  Previously she claimed that her grandfather played for the Cowboys and 49'ers, (which seems to be true).  And lastly, she claimed that she was contacted by the Real World to be either on a short list or a finalist at the airport on her way to BB.  (I've noticed on an early list for the new RW San Francisco there seems to be an Aaryn type.  I might have to check out.)  She may have chosen the wrong show.

I really think Aaryn would have been a much more complete BB player if she had a few more years of maturity.  Janelle in comparison was pretty awesome at 26, though I must admit having a Kaysar to round off the rough edges helped.

ETA. Best Live Feed Moments. Killer Kowalski killing Helen's Game. Obscure Worst Moments. GM using the word suicide (or suicidal) in connection with her DR session / Dr. Zachary session.

Edited by SK03, Sep 21, 2013 @ 10:09 AM.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 4:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your contributions and discussions this season. See you all on the Media Thread as we wrap up the (in the words of Julie Chen) "Most Controversial" season yet.

Jeanolo

Jeanolo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 6:38 AM

I didn't post much, but read nearly all posts ... I am grateful that this has been a place to come together and commiserate about the seemingly widespread and casual use of degrading words that these young cockaroaches toss around with no shame or guilt ... until they are called out. And then it's just CYA mode. Without all of youses voices here to speak out against the probable racism, sexism, etcism that lie behind the words, I would despair for the soul of the human race. Thankfully, I live in a community of wonderful diversity, and it's not just words to say I have many black friends, I have many Jewish friends, lots of Russian Jews, lots of mixed race folk (heck, we're practically ALL mixed race when it comes down to it - I refer to myself as a "mutt," as I am a jumble of European and American ancestry). And, wow, I even know some Muslims! and they're not terrorists! Gosh, my own brother is gay, and my newly adopted nephew is black. And when I think of these people, these labels are not close to being the most important thing about them. We've discussed the "bad behavior" ad nauseum, so I'll end on the positive note that I will continue to try and improve my own behavior (while keeping the snark) and I will definitely watch not only my own words, but the words I hear from those around me.

THANK YOU TWOPERS AND TWOP. See ya around the Forums!!

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

Thank you TWOP Howard for your taking such good care of this thread.  I was without internet Wednesday and Thursday and was about to die not being able to come to the Big Brother forum to read what happened after the show.  I can see those who only follow the broadcast shows have skewed ideas of what is going on with the show.   I even watched The Talk, hoping to hear what happened afterwards.  Finally got the net back, and read everything I missed. 

Love this place and love the posters too!  Grown-ups one and all and very bright and insightful people.   See you next year!  Because yes - I will never stop watching this show.  Because I just - can't.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

I think this season is probably tied with 8 as worse to me. Both were disgusting. I loved Jen more than I love anyone this season though, so I was more engaged in season 8. I barely paid attention to season 9, but it's second to those two for worst, IMO.

Just wanted to get in my thanks and goodbye to everyone. This thread was really the only reason to continue watching this season and I appreciate that so much. I hope to not be back next season, but, let's face it, that's unlikely!

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Adding my thanks to all of those who endured the live feeds in order to detail all of actions of these houseguests.  It was also great seeing the discussion generated, and quite frankly, to see that some had their eyes opened about the truth of our "post-racial" America.  It was also nice to see equal disgust expressed at all of the misogyny, which sadly got little play in the general media. 

I'd like to think that I won't be back next year but, well, most likely I'll be seeing you all again next summer.

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

Spencer claimed that stipends are negotiable - implying Elissa received a higher stipend / appearance fee.  If he asked for more, BB would have simply chosen the next of 10 Spencer types on their list.  (Not sure, but this could be one reason that the F3 didn't want Elissa to win AFP.)

I'm sure the stipends are negotiable if you have anything at all with which to negotiate. Dr. Will is often mentioned as someone who wouldn't come back without mongo incentives. There are very few "loved one of popular, recognizable former winner" people, and lots of 'lone gay guy,' 'another muscley guy,' and 'another pretty girl' possibilities. 

Elissa mentioning this--to psych people out--would be rational game play. Letting it get to you would NOT be good game play. Elissa won AFP because compared to most of the people she seemed pretty decent, and that was about all anyone had to vote on. The rest had THREE MONTHS to become America's Favorite through their awesomeness, and awesomeness was not on display. 

If you think Elissa negotiated a higher stipend, it still doesn't excuse wanting to have her raped with a dildo made of your excrement.

Edited by ipj, Sep 22, 2013 @ 3:17 PM.

Clockworksoul

Clockworksoul

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

http://vimeo.com/70378634

I just wanted to make note of Jeremy's contribution to this supercut.  In amongst all the hate speech (repeated use of the c. word, et. al) there is one shot of Jeremy referring to one (unmentioned) HG as a c.  There is an absolute look of complete hatred on his face that seems to pervade his contempt for women as a whole.  It actually gave me a bit of a chill.

Peace out TWOPers, until next year.xo

MilVlondett

MilVlondett

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:46 AM

I hate the way she has to just blatantly lie and also has to drag Candice into her lies to try to make herself seem like some sort of crusader. She must not realize people saw everything she was saying and doing in that house. When the fuck did this happen?

If there's any chance Helen's telling the truth about this, then the most likely time that she did this was in the opening six days of the season before the feeds first went up, since I'm betting that Aaryn was making comments like this well before we started seeing them.  The only other times that would be possible would be any time the feeds were down.

Of course, I doubt both possibilities, but if anything, the former possibility feels more likely to me.

In terms of people from this season I'd like to see back in an All-Stars season, I can only see myself wanting Elissa, Helen, Judd, Jessie, and Amanda back.  Elissa for obvious reasons, Helen, Judd, and Jessie because I think they could change up their games (Helen, especially), and Amanda because she'd add some personality.  And I also think she might learn something from how she was received this season.

All of the rest, though . . . yeah, no.  Just . . . no.

In any case, I'll join in on the thanks to everyone for contributing their insights and opinions!  I, too, hope to see everyone next summer!  I just hope the houseguests don't suck as much as these people did.

Edited by MilVlondett, Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:12 AM.