Gene Simmons Family Jewels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1094 replies to this topic

Urizen

Urizen

Video Archivist

• Interests:I was, for many years, a long time lurker on (what was formally known as) Mighty Big TV. And, it was back in '04 that I finally decided to become a member of this site. <br /><br />My main &quot;things&quot; in this life are: family, friends, working, and schooling. <br /><br />I have a rather busy schedule and work rather unique hours. One of my fav forms of recreation is to watch a bit of TV here and there. <br /><br />Some of my fav shows are: silly reality shows, cooking shows, ER, House, Lost, and some of the animated shows on Fox and Comedy Central. <br /><br />This entire web site is one of my most favorite web sites because it is masterfully well done and it also has mods.

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 9:54 PM

And considering how tall Shannon is, 150 lbs is a nice healthy weight.

I am 5'11" and I was soo happy that Shannon told her weight. Many people think that weight is too much if you are 5'10" (like Shannon) because they see you in the light of the super models who are 5'10" and weigh 120 pounds. When I tell folks that I weight 165 people trip out! Good for Shannon.

I am a 32 year old chick and if Gene's son were legal...I just do not know, man. That kid is very charismatic and has a great speaking voice to boot.

4laughsonly

4laughsonly

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 3:54 AM

I hope piercer guy knew better than to pierce a 14 year old without her parents' permission (aren't there laws of some kind?) especially when Gene Simmons is one of the parents

I just wonder if they did have permission but for the sake of a tv show, pretended they did not...

Many people think that weight is too much if you are 5'10" (like Shannon) because they see you in the light of the super models who are 5'10" and weigh 120 pounds.

Oh, I know and if someone were to guess her weight, I doubt anyone would guess Shannnon's weight being 150#. My friend, who is 6'1", weighs 180#. When she first told me that, I was shocked! I would have guessed she weighed 135-140. She looks perfect for her height! Same as Shannon.
Which also explains Nick's height and shoe size. I wonder what size shoe Shannon wears (my friend wears an 11)

It's funny, the very first post for this series:

A middle-aged rock star, his lady, and their two teenage children. Let the inevitable comparisons to "The Osbournes" begin.

I was so surprised at how loving, respectful, and well adjusted Nick and Sophie are! Sophie speaks so softly. And she is so beautiful! I, too, noticed the birth mark on her face right away. Does not take away from her looks at all. And Nick...Nick...Ahhhh, Nick! Like many other posters, he makes me wish I were a teenager!)
I was fully expecting another series with 2 loud, obnoxious, spoiled kids like the Osbournes. The Hogan kids are not too bad but, with them it is more the strange obsession HH has with Brooke.
There is a softness about Brooke and Nick that I hope does not go away; and the song that she wrote; what a sweet song! And what a beautiful voice she has...

ETA: You should never try to post in the middle of the night when you should be alseep!

Edited by 4laughsonly, Aug 23, 2006 @ 9:43 AM.

The King of Pop

The King of Pop

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 9:14 AM

I woud LOVE to make an album with Nick Simmons. His voice is so pure and inocent!! Weeeeeh!

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 9:54 AM

I am 5'11" and I was soo happy that Shannon told her weight. Many people think that weight is too much if you are 5'10" (like Shannon) because they see you in the light of the super models who are 5'10" and weigh 120 pounds. When I tell folks that I weight 165 people trip out! Good for Shannon.

ICAM. Shannon proves that 150# is not at all fat for a woman of her height, and that you can be 49, gorgeous and sexy without being a size 0. Put Shannon next to most of the size 0 women in Hollywood and she'd be waaaayyyyy more attractive - and I say this as a straight woman.

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:26 PM

I caught part of another episode of this show, and I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here...it's a surprisingly sweet show, a likeable family, and entertaining even though it's obviously scripted (what isn't scripted these days?!) I won't seek it out every week, but if I happen across it while channel-surfing I'd probably stop and watch.

(ETA: I don't think that Sophie's birthmark is of the port wine variety, those tend to be pink/red, and they get even redder when the person is hot/flushed/embarrassed, they're not easily covered by makeup...I have two friends who have port wine type birthmarks on their faces...hers is the classic brown birthmark.)

Edited by ObstinantGirl, Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:30 PM.

Arizona Vicki

Arizona Vicki

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

add me to the list of over 30 year old's who think Nick is hot!!

i wonder if he is heterosexual and if so if he has a girlfriend and if so if she is alot older then him.

Just curious

RosemaryCa

RosemaryCa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:59 PM

So TwoP ate my original entry, I think. *prays this isn't a double post*

Arizona Vicki, that's a lot of "wondering". ;-) Alas, there's a who bunch of us doing the same. LOL

We are all going to the Special Hell. (Firefly reference that no one will get, I'm sure. LOL)

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 2:15 PM

Well, he did wonder if Aunt Tracy was bringing male strippers.....

Edited by TGC-64, Aug 23, 2006 @ 2:21 PM.

4laughsonly

4laughsonly

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 6:13 PM

i wonder if he is heterosexual
Well, he did wonder if Aunt Tracy was bringing male strippers.....

That has never even crossed my mind and I refuse to allow it to!

ArizonaVicki; I see you are in Glendale-we are neighbors!

Arizona Vicki

Arizona Vicki

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 10:09 AM

ArizonaVicki; I see you are in Glendale-we are neighbors!

really? that's awesome, I dont know many people here at all, would be cool to meet people interested in the same things that I am. i.e. Nick Simmons
lol

ahh the special hell it is then.......

Whitney

Whitney

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

I also couldn't believe that the "Gentile" comment made it to air (see coaster's comments upthread). But as a Jew, I believe I do know where it came from...we Jews aren't necessarily known for our ability to fix things...we call people. So I had a good LOL when Gene said that because I don't know any (except my brother-in-law who is a mechanic...and converted) who could identify anything under the hood that is not the engine block or the thingy where you put the windshield washer fluid.

Edited by Whitney, Aug 24, 2006 @ 12:54 PM.

givemeakleenex

givemeakleenex

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 4:26 PM

My husband is Jewish and he's been saying that for years. I almost took his head off the first time I heard it because I didn't understand the intent behind the words, but Whitney's explanation is exactly what my husband said. I don't think it's meant as a malicious, racist statement, just a dig on his own lack of ability to fix stuff.

Duggarnaut

Duggarnaut

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

Happy 57th birthday to Gene today.... and a much smaller numbered birthday to myself LOL I remember as a kid my brother teasing me because I shared the same birthday as him. Anywho.... Happy Birthday anyway :o)

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

We are all going to the Special Hell. (Firefly reference that no one will get, I'm sure. LOL)

Hee...I got it. And yes, I'm totally going there too!

I think Nick has got a good head on his shoulders. And Sophie is beautiful in a completely original, exotic way. Can't believe she's only 13! I do like how Gene is with her--she's obviously Daddy's little girl, but not in a skeeved out Hogan way. ew.

writebabe

writebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2006 @ 2:05 PM

The promo for the sex talk looks funny. Somehow though I am sure Shannon has covered all that with Sophie and it was something designed to make Gene squirm.

cbauer

cbauer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 7:21 AM

we Jews aren't necessarily known for our ability to fix things

My husband does TONS of work for Jewish folks (there's a concentration of Jewish people in the Baltimore area). He does high end granite and marble work. He tells me this all the time and his customer's admit it, most of them being orthadox. So, I don't think the comment from Gene was inappropriate at all. Just a dig on himself and his culture.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 9:02 AM

Gene Simmons was actually born in Israel - his mother was a Nazi Concentration camp survivor - apparently he speaks 5 languages and taught in a poorer neighborhood school in New York for some time before going into the Rock Star business.

Back on topic - I think the son is adorable - the daughter is VERY mature (in a good way) for her age - and Shannon has got it ALL together.

What a great show - and nice to see so much NORMAL can be so entertaining

Whitney

Whitney

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 12:28 PM

Did anybody ever see the "Family Guy" episode where the parents go away for the weekend to a KISS concert because they used to be part of the Army in the 70s? Turns out the mother was a groupie and it's inferred that she slept with Gene. When they see each other, Lois deadpans "hello, Chaim" (Gene's birth name - Chaim Witz). Although it doesn't necessarily translate well here, it was possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen on television.

PS - Paul Stanely is also Jewish

MsFlibbles

MsFlibbles

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 3:10 AM

Funniest line tonight.

Nick: Its like having Barney sell Heineken to minors.

Sweetest line.

Gene: They are great kids.

You can tell Gene is really proud of his kids and lets them know it.

I hope this show comes out on DVD. This show is funnier than a lot of so-called comedy shows.

Gailr

Gailr

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 10:03 AM

I'm surprised that Gene does his own makeup. And those heels! OMG, I could never walk in those, much less dance around on stage for a couple of hours. That was quite a costume. I can't quite imagine my dad doing that :)

Love the dog!

shootingstar

shootingstar

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching to much damn TV, of course!

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

Loved the father/daughter makeup moment. It's really cool how the kids seem to take their dad's crazy career. So many RockKids turn out so messed up - it's nice to see a pair of funny, sweet kids.

I liked the dog too!

RosemaryCa

RosemaryCa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 1:27 PM

Awww, nobody feeling the love for yesterday's episode with Sophie busting her dad's chops and correctly picking out exactly what is bizarre (from a female's point of view) about a woman auditioning and "exercising" in her underwear?

I <3 Sophie so much because she's only 13 !!! and is far more understanding of the importance of managing one's sexuality in an appropriate manner (ya hear me Paris and Lindsay) than women twice her age. That's got to be Shannon's influence. I also now firmly believe my comments from an earlier episode, that despite the fact that Sophie has a boyfriend, she's not going to be one of those sad young girls who lets herself be used sexually just to keep the boyfriend.

And so now we've figured out that most assuredly, Nick does not believe his dad has slept with 4,600 women. He joked his father was too old and tired but he actually stopped himself from saying something else before that joke, which was probably that he believes it's just his father's schtick. Of course, this means that Nick can't reveal it's a schtick on camera. Fascinating. For Nick's sake especially, I hope he never learns anything to the contrary. (I know ther have been TwoP comments upthread about Gene's current paramours) As Gene said, Nick is a young gentleman and I believe he'd be devastated by his father's betrayal of his mother. Oddly enough, I believe Sophie would take it better. Maybe because she just seems so ... practical ... LOL

And Nick grumbling about being a Gladiator slave. Hee. You could see that people were busting his chops out of affection when it came to his "chores".

KzooKat

KzooKat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 3:17 PM

I totally got an Ivanka Trump vibe from Sophie last night when she was giving advice to Gene at the auditions. She seems like she'll have good business sense and will be set to help Gene run his ventures someday.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

I liked when Gene was rehearsing his PSA and got to the "1 in 4 people" stat, and Sophie said "and how many out of 4600 is that?" Word, Sophie.

I also loved when Gene finally got all the way through his lines, and Nick ruined it by toppling off the chair.

Ouisch

Ouisch

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 6:13 PM

Does anyone remember when Kiss appeared on The Mike Douglas Show back in 1974? Gene was the only one who came out for the interview portion, and when Mike inquired about the make-up and outfit, Gene growled "I'm evil incarnate." Comedienne Totie Fields was sitting next to him and commented, "Wouldn't it be funny if, under all this, he was a nice Jewish boy?" Gene replied, "You should only know." Totie retorted, "I do know. You can't hide the hook!" So even back then Gene couldn't hide the fact that somewhere underneath that bat-lizard persona was a "nice guy." It's so cool to see him just be "Dad" and to sometimes see his kids and Shannon get the best of this self-proclaimed Rock God.

soapfaninnc

soapfaninnc

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 8:08 PM

Awww, nobody feeling the love for yesterday's episode with Sophie busting her dad's chops and correctly picking out exactly what is bizarre (from a female's point of view) about a woman auditioning and "exercising" in her underwear?

I <3 Sophie so much because she's only 13 !!! and is far more understanding of the importance of managing one's sexuality in an appropriate manner (ya hear me Paris and Lindsay) than women twice her age. That's got to be Shannon's influence. I also now firmly believe my comments from an earlier episode, that despite the fact that Sophie has a boyfriend, she's not going to be one of those sad young girls who lets herself be used sexually just to keep the boyfriend.

Word! Last night I started to adore Sophie as much as Nick. Her 'So when do we go see the sluts?', her '1 out of 4, how many is that out of 4600?' were so off the cuff yet sharp...

Last night was great. I didn't like the Spa episode as much.

And Shannon rocks. Mr. Soapfan is totally in love with her now. She's a good shot on top of being drop dead gorgeous and smart. Tracy is a little over the top most of the time.

The obvious respect and adoration this family has for each other is terrific. It makes the show. Driving Force has the love but not so much the respect and the girls aren't nearly as sharp as Nick and Sophie - IMO.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 8:14 PM

I think the home movies are adorable. Gene having 'tea' with little Sophie was the best clip yet.

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 8:43 PM

I'm somewhat of a curmudgeon, but dammit!!!! I like this sweet show. (And I hate sweet!) I laugh at their family dynamic. I wasn't expecting that I'd like Gene Simmons as a person.

sugarplum_pdx

sugarplum_pdx

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 12:30 AM

I didn't want to watch this show. I was expecting a lame ripoff of the Osbournes or the Hogans (hasn't the celebrity-family reality show been done to death?). I have never liked Gene Simmons (or Kiss, even though I loved other "hair metal" bands). I thought the daughter would be bratty and obsessed with how "hot" she is (I didn't even know what she looked like but assumed that Gene Simmons' daughter would be like that).

But I came across it by accident and somehow I love it! As others have said, the kids seem so nice and well-adjusted. They are not spoiled, bratty, and oblivious to the rest of the world. They seem smart and witty and just generally like good kids. Gene is still a little hard to take when he's mugging and congratulating himself on everything (even if it IS tongue in cheek). But Shannon is refreshingly down to earth and normal and doesn't seem obsessed with her appearance or fake or anything like that.

One other note about Shannon: She was on Days of our Lives in 85/86, and I just happen to have recently downloaded clips from that era. Her nose was totally different then, and she had sort of a mullet. It was just kinda freaky to have seen her as "Savannah Wilder" in those clips and then turn on TV and see her on this show in 2006.

Edited by sugarplum_pdx, Aug 30, 2006 @ 12:33 AM.

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 5:53 PM

What a great show - and nice to see so much NORMAL can be so entertaining
You can tell Gene is really proud of his kids and lets them know it.

ITA. It's so refreshing. I though it'd be another trainwreck of a celebrity reality show, but it's not. It's, dare I say, wholesome. My favorite moment was when Shannon and Sophie got together to groom him.

I hope his kids stay as well-adjusted and great as they seem on the show.

I had a minor freak-out today because there was a scroll on the news saying Gene Simmons, dead at 69. It took me a while to find out it's not *the* Gene Simmons, but another singer by the same name. Sorry that he's dead, but I'm so relieved it's not this Gene.