Danny Tripp: He's the Big Shoulders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

200 replies to this topic

Artlawprod

Artlawprod

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

Well, I think many of us are excited to see what Bradley Whitford can do when he's not being Josh...or a general jerk in any one of a number of films. Discuss!

amycheetah

amycheetah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

I've long maintained that I am head over heels for Josh, not BW. But, dammit, if he didn't bring the dimples with him when he went to Studio 60. I'm really curious to see how I respond to Danny - so far, so very, very good.
But it really is going to take me quite some time to welcome a love interest for him. Am I the only one? I hope they spend a lot of time on his relationship with Matt.

Artlawprod

Artlawprod

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

I actually don't have a problem with DannyNotJosh and a love interest, although I hope they don't set Jordan up as the love interest until way later in the series if at all. I have always felt that the problem with starting shows with intended love interests is that they invariably seem forced.

There is a little part of me that would love to see JaMo come on and play Danny's ex-wife. They have great chemistry and I think it would be a hoot.

Miss Hell

Miss Hell

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 10:32 PM

I think it's amusing that the guy who starts the whole plot of the show by making a gigantic misstep in life has the last name Tripp.

TalkFast

TalkFast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 10:38 PM

I agree Artlawprod; please let us be spared another painful and annoying pairing like Josh and Mandy. The best love stories are the unexpected ones.

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 11:41 PM

The one thing about Aarons writing is... he kinda sucks at "lovey relationships" every other kind he has down pat... Even Josh and Donna never set out to be a pairing... the chemistry just fired that way.

Miss Hell

Miss Hell

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 11:44 PM

I so disagree about Sorkin's inability to write relationships! I thought Natalie/Jeremy and Bartlet/Abby were some of the most real relationships I've seen on TV. He actually wanted Josh & Donna to get together, so I hear - it's everyone else that was telling him not to let them!

amycheetah

amycheetah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 11:51 PM

Even Josh and Donna never set out to be a pairing... the chemistry just fired that way.

The chemistry may have been the spark but was it not AS who wrote 17 People? Many more examples out there, but this is (sadly) not the Josh and Donna thread.

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 4:49 AM

All I can say is... Glasses... I saw glasses :D Total sucker for a good pair of frames <sigh>

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 4:54 AM

All I can say is... Glasses... I saw glasses :D Total sucker for a good pair of frames <sigh>

Word to that. As long as the wearer of frames has good hair and intelligent eyes.

BW in glasses? Yowza. Heart? Skip beat. 'Specially when he gives the glasses, wry smile combo. Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba- a ---DUM.

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 4:59 AM

Nah - it was the screen shot I saw of the "Over the top of the glasses look".... <Le Thud>

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 5:06 AM

That's what I figured you were talking about, and I agree. Wry smile follows directly after, though, while maintaining the "over the top of the glasses" look. Yum.

Edited by Blanky, Jul 25, 2006 @ 5:10 AM.

Miss Hell

Miss Hell

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

Yeah - I hope they end up using the glasses more. They were really only in a couple of scenes, and I thought they were a) hot and b) served to separate the two characters in my mind.

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 10:00 AM

Miss Hell as a good friend of mine would say.... "He could be wearing sackcloth and ashes and still look hot"

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

Ok... now that I have stopped boucning off the walls... I am so incredibly pleased with how Danny is so much different to Josh, while still maintaining certain elements (which I'm usre has more to do with BW's own personality traits than acting)

What I saw on the screen was a man who does have issues, but is cool calm and collected and seems in control of everything else around him. He didn't fly off the handle as would have been the usual "Josh" reaction 8 out of ten times.

I did find it amusing that he was watching Wes's rant on the tape when Jordan came in, very WW reminscient. And I LOVED the fact that he got OUT of the passenger door of the taxi when the front had been cut away.

Yes... Time to reset that old Countdown clock to Sept 25th...

threeinchheels

threeinchheels

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 5:48 PM

I'm concerned. As my close friends will know, my love for Josh was real. Or put better, I date men like Josh. I'm fairly sure I probably posted in TWW forum somewhere a thankyou to Aaron Sorkin for writing the character of Josh just so I could have my "revenge" on my ex-boyfriends and chuckle as Josh was humilitated a number of times, but still love him really. Now the reason I say I'm concerned is that I spent seven years fancying Josh.

Then I saw Danny Tripp wearing the glasses. Oh dear...

ETA - Not just the taxi door that was a great touch, but as one poster in the Drama Forum S60 thread mentioned, the line "I had eleven years, now I have eight days" was stunning. If I hadn't have already bought into the relationship between these two guys, in that moment I would have.

Edited by threeinchheels, Jul 31, 2006 @ 8:56 AM.

amycheetah

amycheetah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

As my close friends will know, my love for Josh was real.

Same for me, except substitute Husband for "close friends". I was so very impressed with Danny, though. I desperately want to know what it was that caused him to have that "long weekend" after 11 years of sobriety". I feel pretty sure that we'll find out at some point.

After the Pilot, I was really falling for Matt, even more than Danny. But I think it was because Matt seemed so much more "in need of a little love" (I'm not quoting the show) and I'm a sucker for guys like that. Danny didn't wear his heart on his sleeve quite as much, but I think we'll get there eventually. Can't wait...

Artlawprod

Artlawprod

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2006 @ 9:08 AM

I'm surprised at how little Danny is like Josh...pleasently. The part's not as showy, so I don't really have a sense of who Danny is yet but it's clear that there is a huge amount of depth there.

Seriously, Josh was (to quote BW) 'emotionally constipated' and, because of this everyone could tell what he was feeling before he could. Danny seems quite the opposite. I don't think you spend 11 years in recovery without being a little in touch with what's going on inside, yet on the outside he seems like an enigma.

As someone who has a great deal of Josh love (I married Josh...well before I knew Josh existed. Seriously, I've done this in TWW threads but if I went through all the similarities, they would frighten you. My husband is 42 and carries a backpack. 'nuff said.) I'm very pleased that these two characters are different and I am exceptionally pleased that BW is getting to show a little more range. It's a terrific part for him.

threeinchheels

threeinchheels

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2006 @ 8:23 PM

I'm also wanting to know about that long weekend. What appeals to me about this character is that I feel he is holding an awful lot back. I can't quite put my finger on it. Artlawprod mentioned that he is an enigma. That's not quite the word I would use, but it's getting close to it. Is that just me wondering about this?

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 5:17 PM

Someon just said over on a mailing list that they were amazed at how Un-Josh Brad was as Danny considering he was filming WW concurrently.

That is something I had forgotten.

Not taking away from the fact that Brad is a world class actor with more strings to his bow than I could ever dare to imagine, but it might have been easier for him having that contrast to play.

In the last few eps of WW Josh was rather... um.... manic! Having another character to balance off against like Danny's would be good for the acting gene.

I'm still blown away by the amount of work that He and even Tim Busfield, must have put in in those last weeks of WW while S60 was getting off the ground.

That's dedication... or insanity... or just love for what he does...

Miss Hell

Miss Hell

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

We really need a thread name change - that one's been bugging me for weeks! (No offense.)

Artlawprod

Artlawprod

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:04 PM

No offense taken Miss Hell. I opened this thread, it was the first one I ever titled and I HATE it. Please change it Glark or Joe R.! Danny Tripp: The Big Shoulders.

please please please.

shoemoney2night

shoemoney2night

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 12:12 AM

Wait. Is Joe R. recapping this or are you just hoping he'll drop by and edit for you?

Edit: nevermind. Just saw him in another thread. Hey, there.

Edited by shoemoney2night, Aug 17, 2006 @ 12:38 AM.

dianab93

dianab93

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:03 PM

BW has done a terrific job creating a new character. Am I the only one who thinks he's trying to tap into Leo a bit in creating those 'big shoulders'? I know the actor has been known for his jerk roles but I'm hoping that Sorkin taps into the darkside of Danny, cos that's the side that BW has proven again and again he can do so well.

Also, I'd be very interested to see him and Harriet 'stumble' into each other -- talk about conflict.

And per Artlawprod and Miss Hell, I too would like to see the name changed to DANNY TRIPP: BIG SHOULDERS (there's a nice little double entendre there if you've ever seen BW in a tank top).

Edited by dianab93, Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:09 PM.

Hook

Hook

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 5:41 AM

I have to say I'm amazed with how unjoshlike Danny was. At no point during the pilot did I think, "Hey, aren't you meant to be running the White House?". He's definitely an enigma, and I can't wait to see where Sorkin takes the role. There's so many unanswered questions, just from the pilot - but I think we have to be kidding ourselves if they're all answered, I think we'll be lucky to find out anytime soon. Remember all those unanswered plot holes from TWW? There were so many odds and ends that all those fan fic writers ended up filling.

There's definitely some inspiration from other characters and actors within Danny, dianab93 is right in that there's definitely some Leo in him. I think it just shows how over his time on The West Wing BW has evolved as an actor and can play differing versatile roles, it's just a shame he can't carry that over into the film roles he ends up playing, I mean Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants? What was that :groan:

:)

bennet7

bennet7

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 6:38 AM

Well Danny/glasses will be my OTP.

Can I second (or third) my desire to see the long weekend. That would tell us so much about Danny's character. And I'd also like to see Danny going to meetings and talking to his sponsor. I don't need to see a lot of it, just every now and then. I thought TWW always handled Leo's addiction really well.

coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 9:12 AM

Just dropping in to say that I agree with dianab93 about Brad/Danny.
I saw the pilot after watching a 10 hour WW marathon, and have to say I hardly saw Josh at all, which really surprised me... but then again, it shouldn't have, because for all I/we go on about the cuteness and the hotness (!) he's a fantastic actor.

Have to say, I'm with bennet7 about the glasses...!

Edited by coffeejunkie, Aug 18, 2006 @ 9:54 AM.

Irish TV Rocks

Irish TV Rocks

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

Oh fantastic, I just get over my West Wing/Josh 'focus' and you guys are getting me hooked on this Danny character .... which is some mean feat seeing as I've only seen the small promo clip on youtube.

I mostly blame you art ;)

Edited by Irish TV Rocks, Aug 18, 2006 @ 9:45 AM.

threeinchheels

threeinchheels

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2006 @ 3:58 PM

Why is it such a simple thing like those glasses is getting me doing a Homer Simpson..."Aaahhhhhh.....Glasses". Drool.

rachel1707uk

rachel1707uk

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2006 @ 3:05 AM

Danny Tripp: The Big Shoulders

I think I seconded (or thirded, or fourthed, or whatever) this title change back when it was first suggested in MM, but I'm doing it again anyway.

Also, I'd be very interested to see him and Harriet 'stumble' into each other -- talk about conflict.

I don't think Matt would ever forgive him for that. Conflict is good but irreparable damage to their friendship......not so much.