S1 - Candice Kumai: The Model with a Mouth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

24 replies to this topic

keckler

keckler

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

Yeah, we know she's not long for this world but you gotta love her for calling Stephen a douchbag and a tool.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 1:28 PM

Poor clueless little Candace. Whenever she opened her mouth, I just always wanted to pat her on the head, because she's so much like a little kid. Major points for the tool and douchebag comeback, though, because no one has ever deserved it more.

Mandy P

Mandy P

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 5:35 PM

I thought it was so sweet when Stephen apologized to her in the reunion. Awwwww! They're friends now!

pomme de terre

pomme de terre

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 5:38 PM

It was pretty sweet that she called Stephen a tool and a douchebag. I mean, I'd like to think that I'd come up with something witter, but in a way, I bet the third-grader aspect annoyed Stephen more. Also, props for keeping up with him for 45 minutes. Again, it's childish not to walk away from a fight, but I would have pegged her for breaking down in tears around minute 3. And the idea of funny cutouts for the kids wasn't a bad one anyway.

I also thought she accepted Stephen's apology pretty gracefully in the reunion.

Bayta

Bayta

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

And the idea of funny cutouts for the kids wasn't a bad one anyway.

I have to completely agree here. Let's say you're giving a kid a healthy sandwich. Whole-grain bread, lean meat, good cheese, sprouts and lettuce and tomato, for example. If it doesn't matter *to you* how it looks, why not make it look appealing to the kids?

What Candace was doing was taking the concept of presentation (the way the food looks on the plate) and tweaking it a little for the audience! Shock! Horror!

Actually, I think I'd rather eat Candace's cut-outs rather than STD's demitasse cups and spoons on a plate. Really, what's the difference?

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

In that particular case, I think it's okay to have made things festively shaped for the kids (though I'm not sure what they would have made foot-shaped). I think Stephen gets tunnel vision sometimes when he's doing things, and when you come in with something that's completely outside of what he's focused on, he reacts negatively. Like, later, he was able to say "yeah, okay, I REALLY overreacted there because it was for kids and I wasn't thinking." At the time, I think he was just focused on the competition.

Though, Candice has a preoccupation with shaped foods, since her dessert was underwear-shaped. Didn't she also use shapes in her signature dish or something? I wonder how many festively-shaped dishes she would have made if she hadn't gotten herself booted so early.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2006 @ 8:29 PM

Though, Candice has a preoccupation with shaped foods, since her dessert was underwear-shaped. Didn't she also use shapes in her signature dish or something? I wonder how many festively-shaped dishes she would have made if she hadn't gotten herself booted so early.

For the fruit plate quickfire challenge she cut pieces of pineapple into heart shapes. Elizabeth Faulkner commented on its...ametuerish nature, immaturity, or something but added with a suppressed smile that it probably reflected Candice's personality. Which I thought was pretty funny, but Faulkner got a good read on Candice in about five seconds, which was cool.

Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

Blanky, I thought that was hilarious. And Candice seemed to be utterly oblivious that she had just been insulted.

Edited by Lady Marmalade, Jul 16, 2006 @ 10:46 PM.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2006 @ 10:52 PM

I know! She just smiled and nodded almost proudly.

Part of me feels bad for agreeing that she should have felt insulted, but the rest of me...feels smugly superior, which makes me feel ashamed of myself. I guess most of me (and most everybody here, probably) believes that a serious chef should have more refined taste. She really does seem like a sweet person, though.

Edited by Blanky, Jul 16, 2006 @ 10:52 PM.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2006 @ 11:16 PM

Aha! That's what it was! I knew there was another one where she'd used shaped somethings.

Which I thought was pretty funny, but Faulkner got a good read on Candice in about five seconds, which was cool.

I wonder if you can judge a chef by his or her fruit plate exercise. For example, Stephen: most appealing when viewed in [his] cups. It's been a while since I've seen that episode, so I don't remember what everybody did...

I just think it's really funny that Candice's approach to cooking is adding shapes. Do you learn that in culinary school these days or what? Not that I wouldn't eat a pizza shaped like a rhinoceros if it were tasty, but I wonder if she is perhaps on the verge of some new trend. The next time I eat foot shaped food (or put my foot in my mouth), I shall think of Candice.

xtwheeler

xtwheeler

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2006 @ 5:53 PM

OK, I have to admit that I haaated Candice in the first episode when she said, with exasperation, "YES, I'm a model" as if she is just so BURDENED by people always asking her that, and OF COURSE that is what you must be thinking. *sigh* It must just be so difficult to be one of "the beautiful people." *sigh* I wanted to slap the taste right out of her mouth.

However, all was redeemed when she called Stephen a tool and a douchebag. Condescended-to folks all over the planet cheered that one on.

OPP

OPP

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2006 @ 10:33 PM

I saw her in person a couple of months ago at the Little Tokyo Tofu festival in LA which had a number of asian or asian american chefs give demonstrations. I didn't happen to catch any of them- I had just missed Iron Chef Japanese by an hour, Tommy Tang also canceled, and her cooking demonstration was going to be in another hour. Since I was with somebody else and there wasn't really anything to do, I didn't want to make that person wait an hour just to check out her demonstration.

But, I thought that it was very revealing that for her demonstartion, it wasn't anything serious but was more of a cooking with kids segment where the kids were going to be the real stars of that segment. I just can't see Harold or any of the real chefs do something as cheesy as that, since you really wouldn't even need a good chef to pull that segment off. Instead, I could see Harold grumble about how he came here to cook.

Trompe L'Oeil

Trompe L'Oeil

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 3:47 PM

Watching the S1 marathon today...Candice has a habit of making the word "no" into a two syllable word, "nooo-wa"...and it cracks me up.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

I swear it looks like Candice is in this Cold Stone Creamery ad. It's the "Heiress" one.

porkchop1

porkchop1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 11:54 PM

No way is that Candice.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 5:40 AM

You're not looking at the blonde, are you, porkchop? It's the other woman I think looks like Candice (more so since I paused the commercial and looked at some pics of her).

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 8:54 AM

Definitely not her.

belligerent

belligerent

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 3:44 PM

I clearly need more sleep, because what I got out of this thread is that Candice is now working at Cold Stone Creamery. And then Candice says "nooooooooooooo-wa" to me because she doesn't actually work there.

Wouldn't it be awesome if she did, though? I want one of those places for my house.

Lucygirl2

Lucygirl2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

I normally don't like to post these things just in case I am wrong but... I could swear I saw Candace in a California commercial. You know the ones where people are doing fun things claiming it is "work" trying to get you to visit the state. I am positive she is the chick sitting on the surfboard saying they have board meetings. Please someone else say they saw it too!!

On a side note there are several different "California" commercials & it is the one that features a very yummy looking Rob Lowe sitting by himself in the woods.

Edited to add: Thanks LizDC, good to know I was not crazy... I caught it for just a split second.

Edited by Lucygirl2, Mar 4, 2008 @ 12:23 PM.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 12:00 AM

This one? That's her according to this - Candace Kumai, professional surfer.

StripedPothos

StripedPothos

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 6:35 PM

Last Friday morning, was tv surfing, when, I noticed a young attractive woman I knew I seen before, and, her voice sounded familiar; but, not on HSN (Home Shopping Network channel).

I was wracking my brain about where I had seen her before, but, then the main hostess called her Candice. Later, main hostess identified her as Candice Kumai, one of their new on-air hosts, in training.

So, I guess she decided cooking was not her forte at this time; and, went for a job where her looks and gift of gab will eventually pay her big bucks. This is also a network, where some of the hosts, have their own jewelry and/or clothing lines. Maybe they'll feature her a lot in cooking/kitchen demonstrations. Whatever, a little more opportunity for creating own future, if desired; as she's young enough to be able to go in several directions.

She did a good job yakking up the clothes they were talking about at the time, so, she does seem to have a knack for it.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2008 @ 10:53 PM

I caught Candice on HSN. It was the midnight PST/3am EST shift. Gah, but it was cooking. She looked good in the wardrobe du jour at HSN, but her on-air gabbery is subpar. While marveling at the Oster convection oven and the miracle knife/cutting tool, she does not have the gift of gab of the likes of Dave Venable or other hosts. The special guest from Oster did most of the talking, while Candice provided the requisite "oohs" and "aaahs." She didn't seem comfortable filling all of that time on live TV. It was a hoot to watch in the way live TV should NOT be.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

Candice has a job!

LOS ANGELES, CA (April 7, 2009) Do you want to have your cake and eat it, too? Lifetime Television premieres Cook Yourself Thin, an all-new series that offers viewers the skills and the confidence to give their favorite indulgent meals a healthy makeover by cutting the calories and doubling the flavor! Culinary experts Harry Eastwood, Allison Fishman and Candice Kumai show guests how to lose their unwanted inches by replacing extreme dieting with clever cooking. The twenty-episode, half-hour series premieres with back-to-back episodes on Monday, May 4 at 5:00 and 5:30 pm (ET/PT). For the remainder of the week, Cook Yourself Thin will air new episodes Monday through Friday at 5:00 and 5:30 pm (ET/PT). Starting Monday, May 11, new episodes will air Monday through Friday at 5:00 pm (ET/PT).

http://www.thefutonc...90407lifetime01

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

NY Magazine - 'Stiletto Chef' Candice Kumai Chugs Water, Indulges With Hot Sauce

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 7:53 AM

Candice was a judge on Iron Chef America this week in a battle between Morimoto and Symon.