The West Wing

• Please log in to reply

15678 replies to this topic

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:39 AM

Thanks, jennifer. I guess I'll just wait until I do my catch-up of the latter half of the season, then.

His qualifying ancestor was a mercenary. I kept on wondering if Marion Coatesworth-Haye would approve or not.

Hee.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

Imagine Josh with Twitter! LOL

I sure wish there were reruns running.....

Gabriela

Gabriela

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Josh's voice did not sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Depends on who you ask :)

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Green, the episode was great. Rob found out that his ancestor fought in the revolution, and he had totally Sam look of pride. But then, he found out he fought against the US! He was a privateer! A Hessian hired by England to fight. His face looked like when Sam found out that that guy really was a Communist. But then! He found out that after being captured and serving time as a POW he got out and switched sides! He fought nobly for the US and lived in Ohio as a hero. He was totally happy Sam again and looked like he did in Bartlett's 2nd State of the Union.

oakville1969

oakville1969

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

In light of President Obama coming out in favor of same sex marriage, I am trying to recall if the West Wing dealt with this issue. I have no doubt that President Bartlett would be in favor of same sex marriage but it would be fun to see how he would would deal with his Catholic faith & the GOP.

It's been a while since I have seen the show, & I did order all the DVD's, but did same sex marriage ever become an issue on this show?

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

It was raised in The Portland Trip S2E7, Congress passed the Marriage Recognition Act defining marriage as being between one man and one woman. The topic was discussed in depth, especially between Josh and a gay Republican Congressman. Since the Senate had adjourned, the staff convinced the President to take no action, using a "pocket veto" to kill the bill, with the understanding that it would come up again in the next Congressional session.

President Barlet's key quote on the subject was: It's just wrong. We shouldn't be defining love and we certainly shouldn't be ill-defining it. It's wrong.

It came up again briefly in The Supremes, when the two SCOTUS nominees, liberal Evelyn Baker Lang and conservative Christopher Mulready, both expressed the opinion that DOMA was unconstitutional, but for different reasons, in a conversation with Toby.

Edited by moose135, May 13, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Also, in Faith Based Initiative a senator introduces the "Sanctity of Marriage Act", which Bartlet manages to have withdrawn without a vote.

20 Hours in LA talks about gays in the military, not gay marriage. However the episode is applicable to recent events since it includes a Hollywood fundraising event and a loose cannon who wants to raise the profile of the gay rights issue. (Joe Biden, meet Ted Marcus.)

Edited by Bftww, May 13, 2012 @ 11:52 PM.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

20 Hours in LA talks about gays in the military, not gay marriage.

When President Obama made his comments in favor of same-sex marriage, I thought of Jed's comment to Ted Marcus: I'm a human starting gun... because I knew it was going to get certain groups going.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:13 AM

Just rewatching "Life on Mars"---I love the end of S4 so much that I'd never thought of this particular nitpick before.

If Sorkin absolutely had to bring in a young female assistant for Joe Quincy to banter with/belittle - like we hadn't seen that before enough times with Sam's various run-ins with young women, or with Will's speechwriting team - did the character who was supposed to look like a teenager and supposed to be 22 have to be played by (I looked it up) an actress of 38? Weird, weird casting!

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

With the Yoopers (that is the people who live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to you non-Michiganians) once again talking about forming their own state, I was reminded of Abby's line regarding Canada invading Michigan. Maybe we'll have the war of the Straits of Mackinac! Canada and the Yoopers on one side. The Trolls (the residents of MI's lower Peninsula) on the other.

If the Lower Peninsula loses, maybe the Trolls will start a war with Ohio to get Toledo back. (Not sure I'd want it.)

I wonder if Wisconsin would want in on the action. Try to take the far western UP counties.....

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Sorkin sure likes the sound of his own writing:
http://www.slate.com...rts_night_.html

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I recently rewatched Sports Night for the first time in many years, and was surprised by a number of ways in which I reacted differently to things than I had during the original airing and early re-watches. I'm now doing a WW re-watch (of seasons one thru four, anyway) and, thus far, I find that my likes and dislikes pretty well track with my original impressions. I find myself even less charitable towards Donna than usual, and more interested in Charlie's evolution than I was previously, but there have been no major shifts.

I don't think I've watched I&I since it originally aired, so strong is my hatred for it, but I'm going to make myself watch it this time when it comes up in the rotation, as I am curious to see if the offense is dulled any by the passage of time.

One little thing I could do without: the "previously, on The West Wing" recaps when the current episode is in no way reliant on earlier episodes and thus they simply use a montage of the characters introducing themselves. It was kind of funny at first, but now I find my eyes rolling.

I just watched Shibboleth, and CJ with the turkeys will never not be funny. I'm fairly certain Allison Janney could have chemistry with a coat rack, so it should be no surprise to find her so fun with a couple of turkeys, but it's a delight every time.

This is my first time listening to the commentaries since I got the DVDs, and Martin Sheen cracking up when CJ fell into the pool made me laugh so hard I had to go back and listen to it several times.

Some network should start airing this series in syndication again; it's rather soothing to watch in this crazy election year.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

they simply use a montage of the characters introducing themselves. It was kind of funny at first, but now I find my eyes rolling

Good, I'm not the only one. I've been wondering if there was some secret message encoded in the "I'm the so-and-so's". One of my favorite episodes, Take This Sabbath Day, doesn't have a Previously, and it's all the better for it.

I missed NCIS on Tuesday. Was Richard Schiff on?

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

I recently bought the deluxe box set DVDs (although the book wasn't included, so RIPOFF!), and for the first time got to watch all the episodes in order. What a great experience. We need another quality realistic-type show like this on TV again. Here's some of what I took away from watching the entire series (maybe more to follow when I think of it):

C.J. is 25 kinds of awesome. Allison Janney is just an amazing actress and should never not be on our TV screens.

Leo is bipolar. This is kind of a S1-4 versus 5-7 thing, but his characterization changes so drastically that it's almost hard to watch. Not taking anything away from John Spencer's performance, but the writing is just all over the place for him.

Toby really is the smartest guy in any room (except of course in "Memorial Day"). His scenes with Andi at the house in Season 4 are heartbreaking, and "17 People" where he gets to be the first (and practically only) one to chew out the President for the MS thing is one of my all-time favorite episodes.

Charlie is boring. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but he's just wooden and uninteresting. I would love to have seen how ANY of the other characters would have delivered the news about Mrs. Landingham's death. Charlie just shrugs his shoulders and says "She's dead" as if he was telling us that she's in the bathroom.

Edited by jonnypaul12, May 17, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

I missed NCIS on Tuesday. Was Richard Schiff on?

Yep, and he was a bad bad man

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Here in DC, everyone's astonished that for the first time since 2006, the Federal Reserve Board is full. How did the Obama administration get the last two seats full? By sending one Dem and one Rep for confirmation at the same time. I think we can all guess where they got the idea!

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Leo is bipolar. This is kind of a S1-4 versus 5-7 thing, but his characterization changes so drastically that it's almost hard to watch. Not taking anything away from John Spencer's performance, but the writing is just all over the place for him.

I was an idealistic teen when TWW first aired, and I hated Leo for being such a sausage-making capital-p Politician. A little older now, and he's grown on me. Rewatching the end of S4 the other day, I somehow just noticed this for the first time from the climactic Jed-Hoynes-Leo argument in Life on Mars:

Hoynes: "I leaked clasified information. It is their business. It's also a felony."
Leo: "Are you in a position to deny it?"

The vice-president tells you he's committed a felony, and you counsel him to lie? Really, Leo? If a real-world White House COS behaved that way, people would expect him to go to prison for a long, long time. And yet Sorkin shows us three Leos: the evil felony-concealing crook, the pragmatic politician who just wants what's best for the country and Bartlet, and the nice guy who wants his longtime colleague and fellow alcoholic to come through in one piece rather than be taken down in a tawdry sex scandal. Leo might be the most rounded character on the show.

More on Leo: rewatching S5 for the first time since it originally aired, and it's actually not bad. It's not Sorkin, but it's still wonderfully acted. I caught a moment I hadn't seen in years: "The Stormy Present", Mallory tells Leo that Jenny's getting remarried, and John Spencer responds at the end of the scene with that brilliant, beautiful my-heart-is-breaking smile that no other actor I can name could have pulled off. John Spencer - gone too soon. (I understand that they really wanted to pay tribute to his passing on-screen in S7, but I wish they'd let Leo live, become VP, and just be conspicuously absent. The character deserved that.)

Edited by Yogurt Baron, May 24, 2012 @ 10:16 AM.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I recently watched Gore Vidal's Lincoln, starring Sam Waterson and Mary Tyler Moore, for the first time since its original airing. I noticed that it contained the following dialogue, which takes place before the first inauguration:

Congressman Washburn: This is the President.
Lincoln: President-Elect. Let's not tempt fate.

Go see Lincoln and listen.

Pixle

Pixle

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

RIP Mrs. Landingham. :(
Desperate Housewives' Kathryn Joosten Dies at 72

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

I'll have to watch Two Cathedrals tonight in tribute.

Remarkable how Mrs. Joosten had such a memorable career starting in so late a stage

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Mrs. Landingham is really dead. Kathryn Joosten was perfect in that role. I've been re-watching the first three seasons on DVD, and just love when she's on the screen.

RIP Kathryn, you'll be missed.

bella1013

bella1013

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Over the past few weeks, I've been re-watching the first season of The West Wing.

I just sort pondered what the actors did after the show ended (played a bad guy, did movies, another one who went on to play an evil character...). And then, whenever John Spencer is on screen, it takes a few moments to click that there's no after for him. It's really strange to think about it like that.

celticann

celticann

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

She was a real dame, a real broad.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

West Wing's Kathryn Joosten Dies at 72

My first reaction was to pop In Excelsis Deo.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

From Deborah's recap of "What Kind of Day has it Been", the final episode of Season 1:

On his way out Jed announces to Mrs. Landingham that he's watching a sporting event from start to finish tonight. Mrs. Landingham replies, "And when Sacramento State and the University of the Pacific get together, it's usually a barn-burner, sir." Jed tells her that she's not going to spoil his good time. She says, "Oh, sir, I think we both know from experience, that's not true." Jed concedes her point; she reminds him he needed to be in his car ten minutes ago. He asks, "Do you see me walking out the door?" She responds, "No, I see you standing and arguing with a senior citizen." Mrs. L is certainly one of the more entertaining senior citizens on television.

I agree, though I'd amend that to say she one of the more entertaining characters on television, regardless of age. R.I.P., Kathryn Joosten, and thanks for what you gave us.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

RIP Kathryn.

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

RIP Mrs. Landingham. I still don't know if I'll ever forgive Aaron Sorkin for killing you off.

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Wow, and I just finished season 2 yesterday. Kind of strange to think about. RIP Mrs. Landingham. God Speed.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Strangely enough my first thought when hearing of her passing was to come here and mourn with fellow TWW fans.

RIP wonderful lady.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Rest in peace, Mrs. Landingham.

From her first appearance in the Pilot to her very last episode, I always looked forward to seeing her and President Bartlet together. She was one of the best things about the first 2 seasons. Her death on the show still makes my heart hurt.