The West Wing

• Please log in to reply

15673 replies to this topic

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

There were some pretty awesome shout outs to TWW.

Including a framed Pillner* For Pawnee napkin!

*Pillner was the name of BW City Councilman character.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Before the "missing" scene in 20 Hours in America, what did Abbey say that set off Jeb's "Medusa" line?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Thank you, moose135, I have set aside the relevant tape. I wonder why that didn't get restored on the DVD, although perhaps it's as simple as someone grabbing the wrong master off the shelf.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I don't know why it's missing on the DVD, either. I watched it last night, after finding the clip online, and it is presented as one 2-hour episode (well, 1hr 24min anyway) so they could have included it.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Before the "missing" scene in 20 Hours in America, what did Abbey say that set off Jeb's "Medusa" line?

My guess is he was referring to the "I'm just a wife and mother" quote that Abbey said in an interview earlier in the episode. That's been on my mind because of the recent dustup between Ann Romney and Hillary Rosen.

Gabriela

Gabriela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Nope, I liked her. As with every other female character, there were moments when I sputtered, "Really, Aaron?" at the TV, but I liked the character.

I liked Amy too. I actually know quite a few who liked her.

I also cannot stand the character of Amy Gardner. I really don't know if Sorkin wanted us to like her or not. She was abrasive, rude, used who she could to get what she wanted done.

If you change the pronouns "she" and "her" to "he" and "him," you could be describing Josh. He was exactly the same.

My bad opinions of Amy were only reinforced in Requiem, when she was so cold and uncaring when talking to Josh at the WH at Leo's memorial lunch. She could not even let her agenda lie still for one day. Everyone was gathered for Leo and all she could think about was her pick for VP. She even was so cold to Josh when she told him that Leo was dead and they needed to look for another VP.

IMO, Amy's actions were no less appropriate than everyone else discussing their bed-hopping plans for that evening. Honestly, I thought those conversations were even less appropriate. The VP thing should have been left out of that episode entirely. The whole episode should have been about Leo/John.

My guess is he was referring to the "I'm just a wife and mother" quote that Abbey said in an interview earlier in the episode. That's been on my mind because of the recent dustup between Ann Romney and Hillary Rosen.

Yep, that's what he was teasing her about. The Ann Romney/Hillary Rosen thing also reminded me of that episode/scene. It's a shame they cut it out of the DVD.

Monica21

Monica21

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

If you change the pronouns "she" and "her" to "he" and "him," you could be describing Josh. He was exactly the same.

I think the difference with Josh is that you had a much better sense of his character. Amy arrived when a feminist voice was needed. Josh was around all the time. You saw him in weak moments, you saw him when he lost his father, when he recovered from being shot, when he told Toby he'd give anything to have a father who was still alive, and when he bolted off to Germany after the explosion. Maybe it just has more to do with the fact that Amy wasn't a regular and Josh was, but I didn't get anything from her about what made her what she was. She showed up to push an agenda and to date and/or argue with Josh. That's fine, but that made her very one-dimensional to me.

Gabriela

Gabriela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I think the difference with Josh is that you had a much better sense of his character. Amy arrived when a feminist voice was needed. Josh was around all the time. You saw him in weak moments, you saw him when he lost his father, when he recovered from being shot, when he told Toby he'd give anything to have a father who was still alive, and when he bolted off to Germany after the explosion. Maybe it just has more to do with the fact that Amy wasn't a regular and Josh was, but I didn't get anything from her about what made her what she was. She showed up to push an agenda and to date and/or argue with Josh. That's fine, but that made her very one-dimensional to me.

I agree that Amy could have been fleshed out more, but my point was just that the character traits cited were as much Josh as they were Amy. The Amy character wouldn't have worked when paired with someone like Sam because Sam was completely different. With Josh, it was almost like looking into a mirror. I think that's one reason a relationship wouldn't have worked between the two. They were too much alike.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Josh's voice did not sound like nails on a chalkboard.

FilmBuff90

FilmBuff90

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I started reading The Presidents Club by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy, about the alternately simpatico and tempestuous relationships between sitting presidents and their predecessors, and sometimes both.

Despite my vehement distaste for the fifth season, one of my two favorite episodes is "The Stormy Present," since I'm always fascinated by post-presidential lives. And reading so far the introduction and then Truman's relationship with Hoover, I keep thinking of President Newman saying to Bartlet about the revelation of his MS, "I was livid. I wanted to call CNN, to call the White House. And there was Lassiter on the phone, telling me to can it." It becomes even more interesting while reading this.

Edited by FilmBuff90, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.

Roishana

Roishana

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

I usually just lurk, and it has taken me a while to find this quote, but it is in reference to the real life influence that the West Wing has on the real White House (and the rest of us!) and the recent Vanity Fair article mentioned a couple of weeks ago

A couple of years back, Rob Lowe was asked his favourite role and of course Sam was top of the list, and he said

"''I took my son's eighth-grade class to the White House this year, and the entire speechwriting department was there. They came because they watched Sam, and Sam made them want to be speechwriters. It was so humbling.'' "

This really stuck with me

I know TWW influenced my life, and I think it is very special that a television show could affect the lives of people beyond just providing entertainment (and some shows dont even do that!!) What continually surprises me, is that other than some old style monitors in the scenes, and the lack of use of iPads etc (imagine what fun CJ could have with Twitter), the show still looks as though it was filmed yesterday, and many of the story lines are both timeless and relevant today.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

imagine what fun CJ could have with Twitter

Imagine how fun it would have been to see Josh totally mess himself up with it!

I'm on the fence about Amy. Sometimes I really like her lack of concern about offending other people when she has something to say that is important and passionate to her. Other times, she just bugs, because it seems like she just likes being in peoples' faces for the sake of it. But I think it is more about MLP's delivery than the character, because to me, she always sounds like that.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Imagine how fun it would have been to see Josh totally mess himself up with it!

Yeah, that'd be a great disaster to watch.

"CJ, you don't work here anymore."
"SO FAR UP YOUR #%&!"

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

The announcement of a confirmed case of Mad Cow disease has had me itching to watch the series again. I was reminded of the conversation that was had between CJ et el, over if and how they would make the announcement if it turned out there was confirmed case of Mad Cow. I had a little chuckle at work about how relevant TWW still is today.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

I mostly dislike Amy - but I have to say, the "Francis Scott Key... Key" scene cracks me up every single time. I think it's one of her best scenes.

That is a very cool quote from Rob Lowe.

Here is the Funny or Die West Wing reunion sketch in all its glory. I laughed a lot, and then even teared up a little bit. Seems like everyone slipped back into character effortlessly.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Namarie, I loved that video of TWW reunion, I laughed and cried. I miss TWW and I especially miss Jed Bartlet.

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Here is the Funny or Die West Wing reunion sketch in all its glory.

Who redecorated the Oval Office?

And who paid for it?

Was it.....gasp.....the GSA????

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Wolverine Gal

Technically GSA is the land owners of everything the USA owns.

FYI my mother retired from GSA.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

That Funny or Die video was fun, indeed, but I'm disappointed that it's been billed as the "West Wing cast" reuniting when really it's only a few of them. No Josh? No Toby? No Sam? No Leo? (Okay, that might have been harder to do.) Also: the past six years have not been kind to Joshua Malina!

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Technically GSA is the land owners of everything the USA owns.

Working for the Federal Gov't I know GSA's role. They aren't just involved in the land, our supplies come through them, they deal with phones and internet, and are involved in our travel as well as other responsiblities.

And now their fellow Federal Employees are dealing with all kind of grief thanks to their Las Vegas extravaganza.

Edited by WolverineGal, May 2, 2012 @ 6:59 PM.

remlap

remlap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

The third wheel of The West Wing

Edited by remlap, May 2, 2012 @ 7:34 PM.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Wolverine Girl

What's funny, my Mom worked for the Federal Supply Service Division, in Arlington, VA.

She said, it's now gonna make it harder to use the Smart Pay cards, especially for those that use them the right way. Amoung other things.

Has anybody seen what Toby's been up to.

remlap

remlap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Jennifer6973 he and Rob Lowe/Sam are in a movie together seems to be more gritty look at getting people elected.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TJ--SaTzx00

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Has anybody seen what Toby's been up to.

Saw a promo at the end of NCIS last night, and it looks like he will be in next week's episode - apparently as a very bad guy.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

moose

That is what I was talking about :-)

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

That Funny or Die video was fun, indeed, but I'm disappointed that it's been billed as the "West Wing cast" reuniting when really it's only a few of them.

True - that really was my only disappointment with the video - that more of the cast wasn't (weren't?) included, and yet it's billed as the whole cast. But it made me very happy, still.
Glad you enjoyed it, azbabe!
There's a behind the scenes video for it, as well - also a lot of fun.

I'm definitely going to have to catch that episode of NCIS. Yay, Richard Schiff on TV!

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Namarie

He's only a photo at the end of Tuesday's episode. He will be in the last two.

Raingirlkm

Raingirlkm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

I must admit that at the end of Tuesday's NCIS when they showed RS photo on the 'most wanted' wall I said, "Oh Toby, what have you done!"

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Did anyone catch last week's Who Do You Think You Are? with Rob Lowe? I believe it's on Hulu.

I caught a snippet here and there. I think he is one of the Sons of the American Revolution or something. His qualifying ancestor was a mercenary. I kept on wondering if Marion Coatesworth-Haye would approve or not.

Bftww

Bftww

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Toby, what have you done

I'm hoping that either: 1) he's the leader of the new Murder, Inc.; or 2) he's been a source for Wikileaks.